• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When You Whistle...

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I love the whistle, but it is a tool of many uses varying both in nature and--more importantly--efficacy. I believe that such an important ability deserves serious focus on and discussion about by the Olimar community.

This thread is the place to explain your approach to using whistle, when you use it, and when you don't use it.

I whistle against Pikachu's special, Ness' and Lucas' thunder, Wolf's repulsor, Zelda's Din's fire, and (soon enough) G&W's turtle (and his bucket dump, if I can help it). I am considering using it against Yoshi's egg toss, as well (wow, I didn't realize there were so many). I use it to approach spammers and to psych out opponents, depending on who I'm fighting and what my percentage is.

Neb

Smash Lord
Sure, its useful, but you don't wanna go off sustaining unnecessary damage when shielding/perfect shielding, could easily create the same effect. Well that is, for most of the things listed.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Sure, its useful, but you don't wanna go off sustaining unnecessary damage when shielding/perfect shielding, could easily create the same effect. Well that is, for most of the things listed.
what he said... seriously

never bother to whistle Din's Fire, dodge the *amn thing.

I don't see why the move needs discussion, it's not like brawl has major techs you need to learn.

Seriously, if the move would kill you and you can't shield or dodge, whistle.

If you list the things that whistle can do then fine. Let's make it sound like it's shine!!!

M3zm3r1z3

Smash Apprentice
when coming back down from getting knocked up in the air I use the whistle to cancel the KB of an Uair and to reach the stage

so basically I use it to stop getting juggled in the air because olimar is fairly open from attacks from below because his dAir doesn't have great priority and can be sometimes hard to hit so I continuously air dodge and whistle

shanus

Smash Hero
whistle to nail killing blows is also sexy. Annoying moves such as ROB's dsmash can be whistled into an olimar dsmash quick enough to land killing blows. very very useful

asob4

Smash Champion
i once WAC'd a ROB's up smash at around 130% for a dsmash to kill the ROB :D
it was sexy
we had it on video too but my friend deleted it :(

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
I've always thought WAC when your in the air and trying to get back to the stage was a good idea. But it is always more difficult to time it in the air than when your on the ground. At least for me it is.

Zori

Smash Champion
I ALWAYS WAC after dedede sucks to backairs because he can throw out like 20 and if you get hit by one your off the stage.

Snail

Smash Lord
I use it to block air attacks when coming back to the stage from the side because airdodging is slower and it can stop you from grabbing the ledge, and I just love using it randomly because it's flashy and confusing... I mostly do it to stop off-stage b-airs though.

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
I know that the whistle has super armor frames, but I have no Idea when they occur. When exactly is Olimar immune to knockback?

Nokon

Smash Apprentice
I know that the whistle has super armor frames, but I have no Idea when they occur. When exactly is Olimar immune to knockback?
the first couple, it's right when the rainbows are half way down.

Just try it on tutorial mode

shanus

Smash Hero
whistle kills are what the cool kids do. I WAC it all the time..... zing!

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
the first couple, it's right when the rainbows are half way down.

Just try it on tutorial mode
WAC starts right after Oli throws his head back to blow.
Doesn't last long, unless someone hits you, then it draws it out until they're finished dealing damage. And it makes Olimar look like such a bada**.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
i only whistle when getting back on stage or i think i'm about to get nailed by something big. otherwise, as some have noted, just dodge

geekd

Smash Apprentice
It makes oli look absolutely raw--i love it for the intimidation and mindgames and what-not. Offensively it is a great way to land a clean dsmash for the kill. defensively I use it sparingly (rather dodge), although it can turn a lame fair edgegaurd from diddy/marth/gw/practically-anyone into a colorful kick *** spike. BOOYAH

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
With my Unolimar I spam it whenever I'm returning back to stage, looks classy, no knockback. Also if they get into the habbit of timing their attacks that allows for easy air dodges.

OR use the whistle then right after you use the nair! It's the magic nair! The whistle animation is still lingers for a bit during his twirl and it looks Oh' so Classy! But combat wise it's main purpose is that I find Olimar has a hard time with opponents directly under him, his nair seems to have little effect so call the whistle to suck up the pain and give out the razzle dazzle!

Fino

Smash Master
I whistle against Pikachu's special, Ness' and Lucas' thunder, Wolf's repulsor, Zelda's Din's fire, and (soon enough) G&W's turtle (and his bucket dump, if I can help it). I am considering using it against Yoshi's egg toss, as well (wow, I didn't realize there were so many). I use it to approach spammers and to psych out opponents, depending on who I'm fighting and what my percentage is.
pikachu's special..? you mean thundershock? toss some pikmin
just plain avoid lucas and ness thunder.... don't be ********
I've never really played a wolf who used his repulser in a way I would need to whiste (except when pikmin come flying back)
din's fire........ really? Man, you need to learn the hard way and play an actual zelda player. whistling is the worst thing you can do.... just air dodge.
have you played a G&W before? snappy the turtle eats through the whistle. his hit box last longer than the whistle armor.

*fail*
lol :laugh:

Sorry, but there are more practical uses for whistling, like getting grounded again, going through attacks and punishing lag, protecting from spikes (love it!), ect.

~Fino

geekd

Smash Apprentice
Why would anyone use their whistle against spammed projectiles? Why not airdoge and avoid. Use waf to save your life or else end theirs, not to eatup otherwise avaoidable damage

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why would anyone use their whistle against spammed projectiles? Why not airdoge and avoid. Use waf to save your life or else end theirs, not to eatup otherwise avaoidable damage
Yes, I agree. You shouldn't use your whistle at all unless you have to to avoid death. You get unnecessary damage for what? You might as well have gotten hit by the projectile. It makes no difference.

On a side note, there's so many new faces in here. I could've named about 15 people that come in here regularly before I went to the beach, and now that I've come back, there's about 30. O_o Have people realized his dominance? *shhhh*

geekd

Smash Apprentice
naw I used to follow along as a silent obsever. I just recently got tired of sitting on the sidelines of these discussions

Top Bottom