• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to use nair as Marth?

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Don't approach using aerials, don't do it. Use dtilt and other ground moves. ometimes you shouldn't even be approaching. You should use nair in place or fading away. NEVER APPROACH NAIR. Don't do it you will get waveshined. Trust me​

NNID
MasterIcarus7
Don't approach using aerials, don't do it. Use dtilt and other ground moves. ometimes you shouldn't even be approaching. You should use nair in place or fading away. NEVER APPROACH NAIR. Don't do it you will get waveshined. Trust me​
Oh I'm not an idiot, I know that, I only approach with fair when I see the other person jumping.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Contrary to the standard position on approaching with aerials, this is not what high level players actually do. Yeah, it's good basic advice for lowbies, but that's because they tend to overdo things.

From watching and analyzing high level play, the biggest thing I noticed about proper nair usage (outside of combos), is that it's perfectly fine to use against a stationary opponent, or an opponent that is locked into a small amount of space.

Marth's aerials are all safe on shield, so long as they are spaced properly and if you can control for your opponent's movement there isn't anything wrong with going for it. Usually this is done against opponents who are trying to make it back to center stage from the ledge, in situations where their opponent is caught in shield, and lastly on their opponents wake-up.

While these situations are somewhat specific, they tend to happen quite often.

Last edited:

Tablesalt

Smash Cadet
My style of Marth uses nairs more than fairs because of hit stun and knockback reasons. So I'll tell you when I use the nair. On fountain of dreams I like to use that nair on the platforms to get people off with better knockback than the fair will get. I use the nair on shields and then go with a grab. When the match starts the fastest thing for Marth to do is run off a platform so if the oponent stays on the other platform I like to nair them if they go off (which they probably won't) then that's good I do some edge guard stuff; if they go in the center I tech chase depending on which character. Some times I like to do a little combo on spacies it's upthrow uptilt nair and that should do some damage maybe like 30%.

YimS

Smash Rookie
Another way for marth to use Nair is to shield stop. I wouldn't really shield stop fade back with nair because fair is almost always a better option, but a good anti approach option is dash dance, shield stop, nair in place

Last edited:

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Nair is good to combat spot dodging or to catch someone at high percent doing delayed getups on platforms. Also, the hitbox and hurtbox comes in handy. If you do like a Fair or something it may put you in a situation where you whiff or trade an attack and get hurt. But if you do a nair, the hurtbox is different, and against certain moves like Falco's Fsmash you can avoid getting hit/trading/clinking, and get an opening.

I don't know if it works anymore, but back in the day, Ken could sometimes get around the Marth Killer by doing a nair coming back to the ledge, and the long duration would allow nair to hit the fastfallers before they could ledge grab.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Nair works well when you call out a falco on shooting a low laser at an unsafe range

AirFair

Marth tho
much like MookieRah said above, I believe that proper nair usage is as a zoning tool.
By that I mean I prefer to use it most in the corner as a method of stage control. In neutral however i prefer to use fair.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I've been experimenting more with nair, finding out more times to use it. I thought that I might be able to do some cool nair zoning incorporated into my dash dance using shield stop pivots and stuff like that. Well, aside from tons of posts saying why you shouldn't use nair in neutral, here is some stuff I've learned from using it incorrectly.

1: Nair is a very precise attack. It's hitbox is long, but its pretty much a straight line. It's hard to intercept someone that isn't locked down or limited in some way (be it a combo, stuck in shield, a tech chase, etc).

2: Nair is also angled downward, so in the event that you are tossing nairs out in neutral more than likely they will smack you in the face with their aerial.

There were several times I was able to predict or even react to an opponent's short hop and even placed my nair where I wanted to, but I still lost to their aerial or only managed to hit with the first hit and lost out on the exchange.

When I stopped doing silly nair experimentation but did the same thing with fairs... well lets just say that fair is definitely the multi-purpose aerial to use. It was seriously like night and day. Fair just stops other aerials, and if you are going to aerial, use fair.

AirFair

Marth tho
spaced nair is pretty good in the corner vs everyone, EXCEPT for characters that are far too short for it to hit.
besides that, it's a good combo move against floaties.

basically, if you have enough space to get both hits out and you know they won't move or are unable to move around it as well (e.g is when they are in the corner), then it's good to use, since you can both attack with it, or force them to respect the range, because if they don't you can just hit them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom