• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When playing Falco, do I need to chain grab in tourneys?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm going to one tomorrow, and I'll probably use Falco some. I've created a unique and effective play style with him to use. But I have issues pulling off the chain grab. I can sometimes get two or three grabs in on a chain, but then I lose hold. I know it's recomended, but is it necissary?

guy_in_oakland

Smash Cadet
if you're asking to use the chaingrab then that's a yes,but don't force it.that will only ruin the match for you.just focus onusing your lasers that's should be your primary focus.of course i'm not much a falco player so that's my 2 cents :p

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Usually what I do is space myself anough, and use side B and upsmash to rack up damage, but I know that's punishable if I overdue it, especially to counter people like the Fire Emblem guys

guy_in_oakland

Smash Cadet
oh yeah and remember that biar is one of falco's besy ko moves.pretty big hit box and can ko at around 95% which for falco players is very easy to get to

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I'm going to one tomorrow, and I'll probably use Falco some. I've created a unique and effective play style with him to use. But I have issues pulling off the chain grab. I can sometimes get two or three grabs in on a chain, but then I lose hold. I know it's recomended, but is it necissary?
In a tournament do what you know. You'll feel better winning or losing a match doing what you practiced than you will losing a match because you took unbounded risks.
EDIT: Sometimes you gotta go for the FTW spike, though. :p

I'm wondering though... Falco's chaingrab is really not that hard. It's only the spike at the end which could take work.
Have you confirmed the list of CG vulnerable characters? My toughest thing is remembering that list...
I don't attempt the CG much either, but it's because. . . I set up my opponent for other things. It just works out that way.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
oh yeah and remember that biar is one of falco's besy ko moves.pretty big hit box and can ko at around 95% which for falco players is very easy to get to
Unfortunately, I suck at landing bairs, but I've done it before. I'll bbe practicing with friends tonight, so I got some time to clean things up.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
In a tournament do what you know. You'll feel better winning or losing a match doing what you practiced than you will losing a match because you took unbounded risks.
EDIT: Sometimes you gotta go for the FTW spike, though. :p

I'm wondering though... Falco's chaingrab is really not that hard. It's only the spike at the end which could take work.
Have you confirmed the list of CG vulnerable characters? My toughest thing is remembering that list...
I don't attempt the CG much either, but it's because. . . I set up my opponent for other things. It just works out that way.
Where is the list?

guy_in_oakland

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, I suck at landing bairs, but I've done it before. I'll bbe practicing with friends tonight, so I got some time to clean things up.

try practising short hops,that's one of the main ways to hit a bair.and off stage it also is pretty easy because falco has 2 very big jumps so you can travel quite the distance to go for the kill

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Well technically it isn't NEEDED but it sure as hell should be used. When performed right it is GUARANTEED damage. There are few things that guarantee damage. So if you get them in a grab, go for it.

.CMW.

Arty

Smash Lord
Don't force chaingrabs... unless its against a DDD... if thats the case than just focus on chaingrabbing to pay him back for all the characters he's chaingrabbed.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Just play to win. Do whatever "play to win" means to you. There is no "proper" way of to win. In other words, tournament isn't the time to practice new tricks. You go to tournament to get the prize money. You play your best Falco and try to take first place. Don't worry about pride, or conforming or anything else that'll cost you prize money.

If your best Falco is not a Falco who chaingrabs, then obviously you shouldn't chaingrab. Learn how to chaingrab on your own time, and use it for a different, future tournament. It's too late now.

jokey665

Smash Ace
Hey Altrox, you're talking about KingYoshi's tourney, right? I might have to Falco ditto you. I'm trying to pick him up as a secondary.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Hey Altrox, you're talking about KingYoshi's tourney, right? I might have to Falco ditto you. I'm trying to pick him up as a secondary.
If the weather doesn't **** the roads.
I wouldn't falco ditto me. There'll be better falcos there

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Falco dittos are a poor indication of skill.

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
Not really anymore, since Falco can tech the spike. That just leaves who ever can camp better, pressure harder, and is more dexterous.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Not really anymore, since Falco can tech the spike. That just leaves who ever can camp better, pressure harder, and is more dexterous.
not really. i can't believe people are still saying that teching the spike solves all their problems. even if you can tech it 100% of the time, you still have only a 50% chance of surviving. falco can either spike or not spike you, if you predict wrong, you either get spiked and die, or fair to your death.

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't solve the problem, but it just adds a new level of skill. When someone does something that gives his or her opponent no idea what his or her character will do, it's classified as a mind game.

So if he does spike you, then perhaps an extreme level of technical reflex would have to be required.

What I'm saying is, by knowing the kind of opponent you're playing, you can read when the spike is coming or not.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164990

Here's the list. Practice chaingrabbing and use it. But as said all the time DO NOT FORCE IT. If you get a grab on low percents then great do it. Just don't try and grab, you'll be dead and they'll be a whole stock ahead.
Yeah. Really... don't force anything is wisdom to play by, except when it's, you know, broken. ;)

When something is so powerful that it seals or nearly seals the match/stock when it begins, it's curious in that the way it ends up used is in forcing the threat of it more than using it itself.

I mean, as you approach 'good' for some move all else being equal, you appropriately adjust how often you attempt it, since the risk is staying fixed by assumption.
But when it reaches a point when the other guy just has to avoid it at all costs, it means he *will* be throwing up a guard/counter for it when you can use it, except when he's trying to outpredict you (important exception).

So what you can do with this is plan for the spot dodge when you get to grab range. You can fake people out who are recovering, hitting them with something other than the spike because they needed to avoid it.
But of course, this isn't absolute, because it's always about what the opponent thinks you will actually do, and that's just his sense of the kind of person you are (the Bottle In Front of Me resolution). I assume that high level players (and robots, as I hope they are lovingly called) can be immune to this, but I'll bet the people you play against won't be aces.

And I don't think the CG is sufficiently game-sealing to have this power in the matchups. Unless they forget to CP Jungle Japes (there was an upset at a Toronto tourney because of this). :laugh:

Top Bottom