• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When People Taunt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
for people like you i end up doing crazy perfect pivots but i dont aske about your move because honestly if you are playing at a tournament and not for glory you dont want to see the others guy moves you just wanna demonstrate you are better so if they taunt i will get a flashy way of killing them and then show me your move or something like that :v

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Taunting does exactly what it's supposed to: piss off the opponent. They have different meanings too, obviously, but they're there to push you to take out your opponent. It's like a way of saying, "Is that all you got?". This should spur you on to beat your opponent to punish them.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Taunt is love, taunt is life.

luky7dayz

Smash Rookie
NNID
luky7dayz
3DS FC
3024-9260-9272
I actually like to see my opponent taunt, it means they're having fun, and isn't that what its all about? I taunt a lot, not to be a ****, but just for a few laughs. it makes me happy knowing people can sit back and troll someone with a taunt and we all get a kick out of it

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Taunts make me feel a bit... bad but they've never caused me to go fullblown angry, haha.
I shouldn't even feel bad, because I taunt all the time. It's hilarious.

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
I taunt at the beginning, kind of as a "Let's have a fair fight" respect-esq thing. It makes me pretty happy when they taunt back too, mutual respect I guess.

Nah

Smash Champion
Getting angry at someone for taunting is probably not a good idea because more often than not people don't play as good when they're pissed off.

I used to taunt all the time (after a kill) because like someone else mentioned in this thread, Melee conditioned me to do so because of the few extra points you'd get for doing so. But recently I've pretty much broken that habit and rarely taunt anymore.

Mr. Gency

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mister-Gency
3DS FC
2552-3708-9647
Taunts only get to me after I die when I'm already frustrated. Under any other circumstance, I don't mimd when others taunt.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I seriously want to break their thumbs. And I mean just in general. It doesn't have to be a taunt after a kill either. If the match starts and I see someone do the Capt Falcon "Come on!" taunt it seriously just makes me want to say "OK you go sit at the kids table, you have shown us you're not a big boy." For some reason in this game is just makes me so irritated and instantly makes me boil. I have no explanation for this. Maybe it's because the taunts aren't fun like Team Fortress 2? And don't use the "it's in the game that's what it's for!" argument either. Yeah, and I could Bowsercide every last stock, but I'm not a huge ****.

I can't be alone on this. I have 0 explanation of why this pisses me off so much in this game because taunts don't bother me at all in any other game.
And that is why I taunt

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
And that is why I taunt
Well, that not a good thing. Some people have... "Issues". I would not taunt just to get people mad. It is rude.
Also, the taunt usually means they they are mocking you for not being on their level. Its just annoying. People say its just an animation but we all know what it means. Or usually means. Most taunt after kills are just to piss others off. I can not blame them for saying that they are good. But I can blame them for being... Unfriendly. To me, taunting is just rude in this community. I consider us all family. We should all help each other instead of making the other mad. But... I suppose there will always be those kinds of people out there.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Well, all I know is, this thread is making me realize I'm not holding crouch enough after killing someone as Dedede lately. I should fix that.

PJBurk10

Smash Rookie
I always love to taunt because then my opponent plays a little harder. I always like to see the best out of my opponents so that it makes me a better player

LyonelNoale

Smash Cadet
I enjoy taunting at the start of the match; I personally LOVE it. One thing that smash games don't have is a character introduction moment - that is, like when battling in most fighting games, the characters chosen have a single line of dialogue to convey their feelings towards the match.

For me, having that moment when Wii Fit Trainer says: "Let's Get a Good Stretch" is her approach towards the battle; it's meant to be fun! Similarly, if two characters taunt at the SAME TIME when starting the match, it's so AWESOME!!

Nothing more disrespectful than attacking someone during their opening taunt.

...however! If you're in a situation where it's NOT the start of the match, taunting can be aggravating. I don't mind taunting when someone does it once, but if you proceed to taunt multiple times (three is the max) and then spam crouch...? It's mostly saddening, because it's a show of poor sportsmanship.

Admittedly, winning feels waaaaay better after facing a poor sport. Don't gloat until it's over!

Overall, it's a game, and taunts are meant to be fun. If someone opens with a taunt, they're not being rude - it's just how they play the game. However, if they taunt and you go out of your way to attack them, I think that's a pretty cheap shot, and a reflection of your character... in a sense, you can't win without getting in an "extra attack"? Then again, if you feel like you as a player REALLY need that small advantage, then I suppose it'll help you with whatever uphill battle you're about to fight.

**EDIT: The last phrase refers to attacking players who taunt at the start of the match. After that, it's no holds barred!

Last edited:

DownsideC

Smash Cadet
NNID
Audiohades50
3DS FC
3797-8964-1796
I mean, I know it's stupid getting mad over a taunt...but I get soo upset >.<

I mean, It's mostly when I just DI and they taunt, and I'm the one crying in salt. ;_;

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I, personally, love when my opponent opens the match with a taunt. Means I get a free laser right off the bat. I'll take that 4% lead regardless of what some online stranger thinks of me. When my opponent opens up a set with "COME ON" or "Try me" or some other obnoxious taunt from any other character, you can bet I'm gonna take the opportunity to pimp-smack you from across the stage. This is For Glory, and sorry to be a negative nancy about things, but an awful lot of people play here to win, so don't complain if your opponent feels like taking advantage of an opportunity you're readily giving them in the first place. If a taunt party is your idea of a fun time, then head on over to For Fun, choose Temple, and have a go.
The only exception I tend to make is if it happens to be a mirror match, in which case I'll usually stop and taunt at the beginning as a sort of lighthearted "let's-have-a-clean-match-bro," even if my opponent doesn't.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I, personally, love when my opponent opens the match with a taunt. Means I get a free laser right off the bat. Instant 4% lead for the win! When my opponent opens up with "COME ON" or "Try me" or some other obnoxious taunt from any other character, you can bet I'm gonna take the opportunity to pimp-smack you from across the stage. This is For Glory, and sorry to be a negative nancy about things, but an awful lot of people play here to win, so don't complain if your opponent feels like taking advantage of an opportunity you're readily giving them in the first place. If a taunt party is your idea of a fun time, then head on over to For Fun, choose Temple, and have a go.
The only exception I tend to make is if it happens to be a mirror match, in which case I'll usually stop and taunt at the beginning as a sort of lighthearted "let's-have-a-clean-match-bro," even if my opponent doesn't.
I feel like you take for glory way too seriously

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel like you take for glory way too seriously
While that may well be true, going on For Glory expecting even a minute amount of respect from your opponent makes you a fool. Taunts are an incredibly vague method of communication, since they can pretty much range from, "Wee, let's have fun!" to "HAHAHA I'M KICK UR AZZ LUL," and I'm not one to take chances with my opponents in FG going off of past experience.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
While that may well be true, going on For Glory expecting even a minute amount of respect from your opponent makes you a fool. Taunts are an incredibly vague method of communication, since they can pretty much range from, "Wee, let's have fun!" to "HAHAHA I'M KICK UR *** LUL," and I'm not one to take chances with my opponents in FG going off of past experience.
I also feel like you care way too much, does it really matter how the taunt was intended because regardless you have no way of knowing. Like, you can't just wait a second?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
People actually get mad at taunts? I mean, I don't usually taunt in regular matches. I usually practice instant up airs or pivots or something to stay warmed up after a KO. But sometimes I break out the taunt in local matches or tournaments when it adds to the hype. You're putting more down on the line when you taunt in a local battle.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
People actually get mad at taunts? I mean, I don't usually taunt in regular matches. I usually practice instant up airs or pivots or something to stay warmed up after a KO.
I do the opposite to let my opponent know noone is intimidated by their wimpy attempt.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
If you don't start a ganon mirror with a mutual up taunt you're bad at ganondorf sorry

also getting mad about taunting lol control your anger issues

I usually only taunt at the start of a match (after a few rounds as a sign of respect), or after getting a stylish KO. My favorite taunt method is playing as mega man and just staring if they're off the stage and they don't have a good enough recovery to make it back. the mega man stare is real.

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I've always hated that I had an issue with this. Though it hasn't been as bad as it used to.
When I play against a friend, I don't mind it at all, as we taunt each other all the time for fun. Even in for Glory, I can understand when people play around with it. Like if they did something cool, or doing it at the start of the round.
But I just never understood the point of taunting someone because they accidentally SD, or you just beat them like normal. Is it really worth celebrating for taking a stock off somebody in the most average way possible? If you wanna be smug, there's much better ways to go about it. I'd much rather you jump down and spike me out of disrespect or something when I'm already falling than just watch you taunt on your safe little platform. I know I'm looking too deeply into it, but it still just seems a bit bothersome to me.
I do the opposite to let my opponent know noone is intimidated by their wimpy attempt.
That made me laugh.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Taunting making you angry means its doing its job. Something like adding insult to injury. It is a fighting game after all, whatever goes.

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
I was facing a Link online with Villager, who I was experimenting with. By the way, I hate when Link players try to look technical and do double jab to tilt (not a true combo) or run away and zone you out with projectiles, which is so annoying, considering how easy and skill-lacking it is. I didn't like this Link, and I was already good with Marth, so I thought a swordsman battle would be cool. I took the first game, he took the second, then when he took the third, he was taunting. This ticked me off, so I two-stocked him next match. He then took the next one, and was still taunting. I was pretty upset, so I switched to Fox, my best character in every Smash game. I rarely lose with this character online, and I'd say I've beaten some pretty good people with him, next to Diddy Kong, who I also main in Smash 4. Right as I chose Fox, he left. I will never not be salty about that, and if I meet him online again (I wouldn't know, because I forgot his tag), I'm going Fox. In fact, I'm doing that for every Link player. Every Link player is the same. Double jab tilt, smash attack, projectiles. I'm sure there are some good Link players online. I played a guy named Skylit who was great with Link, and I would love to play him again. Every other Link player is so obnoxious with just their playstyle.

I faced a Toon Link with Marth after that. I took the first stock and didn't taunt at all. He got me to a high percentage and backthrew me. There were red kill streaks across the throw. He was taunting, even though I perfectly DI'd/vectored it. I made it back, and as the match continued, he finally killed me with backthrow, and was taunting. I was just about to toss the 3DS and quit the match, because I was fed up with Link/Toon Link. I thought to myself "just destroy him", and I did. I knocked him off stage and taunted because I thought he wouldn't make it back, so I taunted. He made it back, and I read his roll off the ledge and did a DACUS. That killed him. Best/most satisfying part was I did the exact same taunt.
Obviously, taunts are better if you're the one doing them in revenge.

Last edited:

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
It wouldn't let me quote Khao's post, so I'll say this hear.
Simplify taunts all you want, everyone feels disrespected, and you're trying to convince people to not be annoyed by them.

Last edited:

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't let me quote Khao's post, so I'll say this hear.
Simplify taunts all you want, everyone feels disrespected, and you're trying to convince people to not be annoyed by them.
but it's a super silly thing to be annoyed by.

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
but it's a super silly thing to be annoyed by.
It's not at all. They're disrespecting you. It doesn't matter in what kind of form they're doing it or how simple it is, you can feel their intentions through it, and it just starts salt and someone gets angry.
"You're disrespecting me, but it's through a taunt, so I'm okay with it".

Last edited:

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
It's not at all. They're disrespecting you. It doesn't matter in what kind of form they're doing it or how simple it is, you can feel their intentions through it, and it just starts salt and someone gets angry.
"You're disrespecting me, but it's through a taunt, so I'm okay with it".
its more like i'm ok with random schmucks I will never meet being schmucks because I'm playing to have fun with it and don't really care what attitudes they go in with for the most part. taunts are fun. they're a fun part of the game.

but everyone's got different fuses, I get that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom