• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When People Taunt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
I seriously want to break their thumbs. And I mean just in general. It doesn't have to be a taunt after a kill either. If the match starts and I see someone do the Capt Falcon "Come on!" taunt it seriously just makes me want to say "OK you go sit at the kids table, you have shown us you're not a big boy." For some reason in this game is just makes me so irritated and instantly makes me boil. I have no explanation for this. Maybe it's because the taunts aren't fun like Team Fortress 2? And don't use the "it's in the game that's what it's for!" argument either. Yeah, and I could Bowsercide every last stock, but I'm not a huge ****.

I can't be alone on this. I have 0 explanation of why this pisses me off so much in this game because taunts don't bother me at all in any other game.
1st, I love TF2 :D

Anyway, I absolutely despise taunters. If I see someone taunt, I just think "Really? You're going to be that cocky? That's cute"
It is just downright rude and unsportsman-like, and in my opinion should not even be in the game.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
1st, I love TF2 :D

Anyway, I absolutely despise taunters. If I see someone taunt, I just think "Really? You're going to be that cocky? That's cute"
It is just downright rude and unsportsman-like, and in my opinion should not even be in the game.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
I don't really care for the taunts.

I generally never taunt myself, except if the other player taunted first after a kill, and I get a kill. Either that, or when something extremely salty happens. Timing is everything when you taunt.

Since we have no form of communication with the other player online, I take it as meaning one of three things:

''I'm better than you''
If they taunt after a dumb kill, I'll assume it means this. If anything it only makes me play more seriously. It gives the game a more competitive aspect, and it's not necessarily annoying or bad.

''That was good''
If they get a kill after a long and intense exchange, I'll assume it means this. I view it as a compliment.

''Good luck, have fun''
If they taunt at the beginning of the match, I'll assume it means this. I also view it as something nice.

I honestly believe that players who taunt because they are being arrogant are a minority. Most of the time I take it as a friendly thing.

Also, offline taunts or taunts against friends are pretty funny because it's a really casual way of telling them to step up their game.

Last edited:

☆Jisatsu☆

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aetherstone
3DS FC
5086-3292-2466
Well, since it's the only way to communicate, we (at least I) don't use it only to actually taunt every time.

What it can mean, imo:
After a KO :
- Get rekt (yeah, ok, it happens, just leave after the game if you think he meant that)
- Oh ****, I just did something cool
- I have nothing else to do and I like the taunt animation

After getting killed :
- Well played budy

After a double SD or something funny :
- Haha

In the middle of the fight :
- Stop running away and fight

At the start of the game :
- Hello
- Well played last game
What this guy said. The ones who taunt the most frequently have the sweetest of tears when I win and save the replay and only taunt once as they fly off in the back of the screen.

If taunting gets you so angry, you might be playing the wrong game. Half the time it's just funny or simple communication pre-combat for me.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
My favorite time to taunt is after me and my opponent clash jabs many times in a row

:006:

Last edited:

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
I mostly taunt at the beginning of the match or if it's a ditto. I say 90% of the CF dittos I play online the opponent and me taunt at the beginning. The only exception is when the opponent think they have the game and taunt but I recover back to the stage and proceed to win. Then I'll taunt back.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
If someone taunts against me that just mean's free opening for to to knock them out sooooooooooooo not my problem. :happysheep:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I know I already commented here, but I felt like saying more stuff.

... lol jk
Don't take taunt as a offense. Sometimes, it's our only way of communication.
"Hello!"
"You got to admit, that was cool!"
"Fight like a man!"
"Good bye!"
"Oh, a fellow _____! Hello!"
"Wow, what a KO!"
Just see as a little message. It does not need to mean a offense.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I seriously want to break their thumbs. And I mean just in general. It doesn't have to be a taunt after a kill either. If the match starts and I see someone do the Capt Falcon "Come on!" taunt it seriously just makes me want to say "OK you go sit at the kids table, you have shown us you're not a big boy." For some reason in this game is just makes me so irritated and instantly makes me boil. I have no explanation for this. Maybe it's because the taunts aren't fun like Team Fortress 2? And don't use the "it's in the game that's what it's for!" argument either. Yeah, and I could Bowsercide every last stock, but I'm not a huge ****.

I can't be alone on this. I have 0 explanation of why this pisses me off so much in this game because taunts don't bother me at all in any other game.
You can't tell me you don't like this taunt can you?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
My use of taunts is situational. The taunts show different character emotions, and I like to use them to communicate a little what I'm feeling. Ike's side taunt is both a warning about upcoming bad-assery and a friendly greeting depending on if I use it at the beginning of the match or when there is a lull in the action (someone being too defensive, a break from us both beating each other bloody, etc). His up taunt is righteous, animalistic battle roar that always feels appropriate after a hard earned KO. His down taunt can be just a cool look to follow a cool move or me showing some boredom with my opponent.

I'll do other actions after a KO to show what I'm thinking that aren't taunting too. I'll crouch at the edge and look down at an opponent on the last stock if they pulled off a SD that I wasn't expecting or know they shouldn't have had happen. (Maybe they were playing phenomenally up until that point) I may crouch after dodging a bunch of attacks to show that I'm ready for anything they've got.

Pretty much I'm using my mains many different animations to try and portray myself a little online.

Mr. Cooper

Smash Rookie
I think it's a little unfair to say not to make the argument that "it's in the game that's what it's for." Certain annoying things that are in games are cheap exploitations of the mechanics, but taunts are something that the developers intentionally put in the game. Most of the time when I taunt in for glory, I'm specifically hoping that my opponent is getting angry because most people make mistakes when they get angry. So just know that by getting upset, you may be playing right into their hands.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Silly debate is Silly, Frankly put its a game, and its animation, whether its meant to taunt you in a negative way or not. The fact you get pissed off just goes to show how much of an advantage the opponent holds over you. If they can simply taunt and get you this pissed off, then they can probably beat you pretty easily in your randomly induced rage.

Ultim8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ultim8Luis
3DS FC
4785-6835-4967
Yeah, it's pretty annoying when people just taunt after a KO. In my opinion, it might be just a set of mindgames, because when people taunt, they expect you to be pissed off and that could affect you're gameplay terribly. At least that's how I see it.

Rakath

Smash Ace
If I break your shield I have earned the right to taunt before I kill you.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
I only play with friends so the text above the taunt really helps to give them a bit more feeling and purpose to them.

I have a taunt for when something absurd happens or I'm getting rekt. I have a taunt for when I'm rekting someone. I have a 'u wot m8' taunt and a taunt for complimenting people. The text means a lot more than the actual taunt ever could, so I don't have this issue.

NessFangirl

Smash Rookie
I taunt at the end of the match if I've won, but otherwise I don't. if i'm playing with friends, after every kill, gotta piss them off :D.

I don't see how people can get so mad over it, though. A taunt is nothing more than an animation, at best a friendly ha-ha and at worst a somewhat rude gesture. It might be annoying, but certainly not something to get mad about. x)

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
If I break your shield I have earned the right to taunt before I kill you.
I main Bowser. It's funny to see that and then their charged Smash barely takes me past the ledge, which I Bowser Bomb and get a kill.

It happens more than you think and boy it's amazing.

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
I only taunt at the beginning if I run into another Captain Falcon which is pretty damn often, we sit there and spam taunts for a bit then go at it.

The only other time I'll taunt if some piece of trash kid gets a cheap kill then has the nerve to taunt after it.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I main Bowser. It's funny to see that and then their charged Smash barely takes me past the ledge, which I Bowser Bomb and get a kill.

It happens more than you think and boy it's amazing.
I've never low percent shield broken a Bowser before, but I generally keep a wary eye on heavyweights for that reason. The knockback angle generally doesn't put Bowser somewhere he can't come back from, and he's heavy enough he won't go off the top unless he's in a lot of trouble.

Like, maybe a Lucario U-Smash would do it, but shield breaking with Lucario isn't the easiest of things.

Last time I broke a Bowser he was at 140% and he did not come back from that when I charged a second Shield Breaker to his face.

Gerbs

Smash Rookie
I never use the actual taunts, but after a KO I generally do this horrible lock-step up-smash spam with Ganondorf across the stage, or I just do side-tilts back and forth since both of those attacks can be spammed so quickly. The end product is cancerous, and much worse than any taunt Ganondorf currently has.

Last edited:

amorphous bob

Smash Rookie
NNID
mymainman
3DS FC
4828-5358-4805
I enjoy mutual taunts from both sides when there's some good hits. I've also been finding ways to taunt on the last kill (and for some, during) to get some funny junk: luigi airguns where you die, wii trainer freeze frame at the end while doing the splits and ya get a nice little crotch framing with the hands, goofy stuff like that. love.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
At this point If a person taunts during the match, I'll just finish the match and leave after. Not going to have another match.

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
If I taunt it's usually since it's become a habit for some reason now. I try not to taunt, especially when someone's playing really good so I don't seem cocky, but if you're playing intentionally poorly or going try-hard in anger I'm probably going to taunt saying "No. Stop it and try." It might come off as me being a jerk, but it depends. As for how I feel, I usually ignore them. Unless I dair SD, in which case I proceed to rek said person's face.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
People who just stand there and don't taunt after KOing me makes me furious.
Was I not worth your while?!

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
When playing ganondorf it should pretty much be a rule to punctuate a satisfying ko with the evil laugh at all times.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I seriously want to break their thumbs. And I mean just in general. It doesn't have to be a taunt after a kill either. If the match starts and I see someone do the Capt Falcon "Come on!" taunt it seriously just makes me want to say "OK you go sit at the kids table, you have shown us you're not a big boy."
This is exactly how I think about taunters. If someone taunts at anytime during a match in FG, I leave immediately after the match is over, I don't want to play with someone acting like a kid. The only time I accept taunts are against friends or when you pull off a new wombo combo in a team battle.
If you're using Wii Fit Trainer, crawling back and forth is an acceptable taunt substitute.
tbh I do this a lot when I don't need to charge Sun Salutation or Deep Breathing.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
But.. then how will i tell you to FIGHT ME? Honestly the only think i find insulting is if instead of taunt after a ko they do stupid crouch spam.

WinterKirby

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1947 5087 1303
I only got into the habit of crouch spamming because of the noise Kirby makes when he crouches. I did it in Brawl and PM and it carried over. Also I usually use up both taunts at the beginning of the match.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Only taunt that bugs me is Sonic. I seriously hate that taunt. Otherwise it's cool.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I don't understand why people get so upset when someone taunts. They're in the game for a reason. If it bothers you, just use it as an incentive to beat them.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I seriously don't get this new trend about people getting absolutely getting pissed off at a simple animation and putting words on their opponents mouths.

Seriously, that's all they are.

An animation that does nothing, and in a lot of cases, means nothing too.
People will get mad over anything. Didn't you know? People using a taunting mechanic in a Nintendo game are out to make you have terrible emotional reactions to it.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I understand it when people use taunts at the right times (I do it too, after a KO or SD), but sometimes people act really mean with it.

For example, some people manage to hit me a lot (ROB has trouble getting out of combos :dizzy:) and taunt every time my character is knocked down. Once the battle is over, they leave before I can choose any counter-pick. I could talk about it a little more, but I think I got my point across.

Still, to avoid misunderstandings, I honestly think everyone should learn Morse code :happysheep:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
People will get mad over anything. Didn't you know? People using a taunting mechanic in a Nintendo game are out to make you have terrible emotional reactions to it.
I like to picture these kind of people finding EVERYTHING offensive like.. Captain falcon: SHOW ME YO' MOVES! Player: HOW ****ING DARE YOU!? Link: *cool pose* Player: YOU HAVE INSULTED THE VERY ESSENCE OF MY SOUL!!!!

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I like to picture these kind of people finding EVERYTHING offensive like.. Captain falcon: SHOW ME YO' MOVES! Player: HOW ****ING DARE YOU!? Link: *cool pose* Player: YOU HAVE INSULTED THE VERY ESSENCE OF MY SOUL!!!!
Lol, not if you add messages if playing ppl on your friends list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom