• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Is Down Throw into Up Smash true?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Banjo’s down throw is probably the worst bury in the game in terms of duration, and justifiably so considering how easy it is to land and how strong of a follow up Up Smash is.

With that in mind, I have not found a truly consistent percent for this combo. For a while I thought 120 was unbeatable, but was proven wrong after a few games.

I have even had people get out as late 140 (which very well could have been me being too slow). Has anyone tested when the combo is true?

JeremiahJUX

Smash Rookie
Bury to > fsmash was true unless they mash early. I found it useful only against opponents not prepared for it. After one read, it becomes super easy to mash out of and a full hop nair or fair was the best follow up i could think of. Maybe even full hop then wait for an air dodge to punish.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
i find that priming their habits by spamming up throw instead to force airdoges and punish,
helps to make them completely unprepared for dthrow fsmash.
dthrow, while having no bury timer whatsoever has little to no endlag. Additionally Fsmash is fast as hell. So as a mixup its good.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Bury to > fsmash was true unless they mash early. I found it useful only against opponents not prepared for it. After one read, it becomes super easy to mash out of and a full hop nair or fair was the best follow up i could think of. Maybe even full hop then wait for an air dodge to punish.
Is forward Smasha actually faster than Up Smash though? I thought Up Smash came out frame 7?

JeremiahJUX

Smash Rookie
Is forward Smasha actually faster than Up Smash though? I thought Up Smash came out frame 7?
It comes out slower, but I like using Fsmash as a kill option. I'm just trying to find ways to have a better mix up to help. I think it solely depends on how fast your opponent gets out of the bury. The fun part is turning Dthrow into a mind game.

lawlrng

Smash Rookie
I was mashing out of it around 130-140% if I was quick with my mashing. After that, I ended up getting caught in the up-smash more often than not. Also, dsmash isn't that much slower than usmash (13 vs 9 frames), and kills a bit earlier, so it's useful as another punish option if they're too low for usmash to kill reliably and you're near a ledge.

FWIW, training mode says it's a true combo as low as like 60-70% though if you buffer the smash. :laugh:

Last edited:

aLFerino

Smash Rookie
I heard (and tested a few times in tranning mode) that if you burry them around 100-120% and immidiatly double jump back and nade them from beind you can buffer side-b for true kill confrim. Its takes some practice but works really well when you get the hang of it.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I heard (and tested a few times in tranning mode) that if you burry them around 100-120% and immidiatly double jump back and nade them from beind you can buffer side-b for true kill confrim. Its takes some practice but works really well when you get the hang of it.
This is probably the best bet if any combo is true out of downthrow below 130%. Any recommendations for how to practice it alone? The CPU doesn’t exactly mash very hard in training.

aLFerino

Smash Rookie
This is probably the best bet if any combo is true out of downthrow below 130%. Any recommendations for how to practice it alone? The CPU doesn’t exactly mash very hard in training.
Well the thing is that the combo works the same way on a human as i would on a CPUbecause its not about mashing, when u drop the bomb on the CPU (or irl player) the explode out anyway, so u can practice it on CPU pretty well.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I actually found a dude on youtube that does a similar thing, he just dosnt b-reverse the bomb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u-zIg6fVqo
I’m not sure if this is true against optimal mashing, as the set up looks a little elaborate and slower than Up-Smash. Grant it this combo is based on them popping out so it still might be true. Will have to test it when I get home.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I'd advise just using Up-Tilt as the primary followup to Down-Throw at the percents where it generally kills at (starts around 120-130 on most non-heavies). It's stronger and a bit faster than Up-Smash which makes it more reliable as Up-Smash can still be mashed out of at the percents I listed.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Utilt is actually slower than Usmash, and lacks a forward hitbox. If Usmash can be mashed away from, then Utilt certainly can.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I tested it with my friend online today. None of Banjo's ground options are good bellow 140% outside of a potential mix up. The grenade combo is also way too slow. Your best bet is to go for a drag down N-air into a reset. This is kinda tricky because N-Air is inconsistent, and they sometimes pop out. But I think with enough practice it can be done consistently. This catches them even if they optimize their mashing.

Some follow ups include Forward Smash and Up Smash. Or you can do a re-grab into ether back throw or down throw again. Performing a downthrow might get you a sneaky up smash since most people are not prepared to mash in the middle of a combo.

An example of it is here at 2:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUI46T_AYFE

I think it is basically no contest regarding using this throw at lower than 140%. The more simple stuff can be done past that percent anyway, and even if you don't get a kill confirm off of N-air, it's still does good damage and get's them closer to that 140 threshold.

aLFerino

Smash Rookie
After playing allot this weekend I have to agree with Henry, I found myself up smashing allot at high % because it's so fast, but at 50-90 I tended to go for a drag down nair into down smash or up smash (or sideB). But I really don't think an uptilt is a good option unless ur playing against a heavy, and even then, it's slower than up smash and more unpredictable

QuantumEntanglement

Smash Rookie
Just an FYI, CPU's in training mode will mash pretty well if you set them to 'Run', so you can use that to practice timing on DThrow. Bit annoying having to chase them down, but it allowed me to lab the percents a bit better.

If they mash hard, UTilt works and kills consistently above 120%. USmash only seems consistent above 155%, under the same conditions.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Just an FYI, CPU's in training mode will mash pretty well if you set them to 'Run', so you can use that to practice timing on DThrow. Bit annoying having to chase them down, but it allowed me to lab the percents a bit better.

If they mash hard, UTilt works and kills consistently above 120%. USmash only seems consistent above 155%, under the same conditions.
I wouldn't have figured this out. Sounds really good.

Janx

Banned via Warnings
It's less about knowing when something is true, and more about knowing how they mash. I always up tilt to start, and go for full hop fair afterwards if they're super good at mashing. Up smash is good though if you really need a kill, like in a last stock last hit situation.

Top Bottom