• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When do you think this game will die?

varsity_scooter

Smash Rookie
It hasnt died by now, I don think it will in our lifetime. Sm4sh is starting off just as brawl did, alot of hype but the majority of the competitive scene really knows its just going to die off in about a year. Probably a bit slower than brawl though, Ill give it that. but the game will just continue to evolve. And PM is basically melee's baby, so that in itsself is a manifestation of melee that has the capacity to grow, survive, and meet the demands of the people. in several ways, melee is immortal.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
In the post-apocalyptic world of 20XY. A dark time when all Gamecubes cease to work, all CRTs have died, and no Melee disk works any longer. Everyone refuses to play on other TVs, or play on better TVs or Wiis due to not wanting to adapt to the different delay. Because of this, Ness and Mewtwo have become top tier. Ganondorf not far behind.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
It hasnt died by now, I don think it will in our lifetime. Sm4sh is starting off just as brawl did, alot of hype but the majority of the competitive scene really knows its just going to die off in about a year. Probably a bit slower than brawl though, Ill give it that. but the game will just continue to evolve. And PM is basically melee's baby, so that in itsself is a manifestation of melee that has the capacity to grow, survive, and meet the demands of the people. in several ways, melee is immortal.
wow ,,,you think sm4sh will die in a year??..thats just ignorant,,

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
In the post-apocalyptic world of 20XY. A dark time when all Gamecubes cease to work, all CRTs have died, and no Melee disk works any longer. Everyone refuses to play on other TVs, or play on better TVs or Wiis due to not wanting to adapt to the different delay. Because of this, Ness and Mewtwo have become top tier. Ganondorf not far behind.
Why does this make Ness and Mewtwo top tier?

varsity_scooter

Smash Rookie
wow ,,,you think sm4sh will die in a year??..thats just ignorant,,
Well I mean like, competitively. Its a nice looking game and theres a lot of excitement about it, it has reeally good music (coming from a 100% band nerd) and it ll still be played and loved till something better comes along, but Im just estimating that the competitive scene will have simmered down a bit by then.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Well I mean like, competitively. Its a nice looking game and theres a lot of excitement about it, it has reeally good music (coming from a 100% band nerd) and it ll still be played and loved till something better comes along, but Im just estimating that the competitive scene will have simmered down a bit by then.
brawl apex 2013 was so hype and brawl came out in like 2008.. and it died after that,,and smash 4 is faster ,no chaingrabs no unbelievablely broken character ( and patches can happen) custom moves,a huge cast no tripping,more hitstun ,,and support from nintendo...it will last a long time.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
Depends on how long Japan will keep making gamecube controllers for. Once everyone's controller breaks, we're toast. Another problem will be that HDTVs will become more and more mainstream with less people owning SDTVs. Without a standard def. television, you can't really enjoy Melee.

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Melee won't die unless Sakurai (or next person who directs the game) decides to make a game that appeals to both casual and competitive players and succeeds in doing so. The reason why competitive games die out is because a sequel or new edition comes out. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 used to be played a loads of tournaments then MvC3 came out and pretty much erased it from big name tournaments. Street Fighter is the same. SFV will replace USFIV when it comes out. With nothing to succeed Melee, it won't die.
This exactly.

ElCancell

Smash Rookie
I think if we can find a way to implement a lagless netplay experience on dolphin or native within 20xx Melee will never die.

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
I can literally 100% guarantee you that Melee HD is not happening. It doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do. The only popular 1st party remakes that I've seen on Nintendo consoles are the Pokemon remakes, and keep in mind, when Nintendo DOES make a remake, it is usually made more casual for the general modern audience anyway.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I consider sports to be a more physical activity, but to each their own.
You're missing the point which is that not all games die. There is plenty of precedence for games being created and not dying out, just not with videogames because they are relatively new compared to games "irl", and the few games that do have staying power get sequels released for them.

varsity_scooter

Smash Rookie
brawl apex 2013 was so hype and brawl came out in like 2008.. and it died after that,,and smash 4 is faster ,no chaingrabs no unbelievablely broken character ( and patches can happen) custom moves,a huge cast no tripping,more hitstun ,,and support from nintendo...it will last a long time.
You're right, my bad. It was kinda ignorant to say that. I just don't think by that point it will be considered as a possible replacement for melee.

I find it hard to say when a game will end up crashing. Video games are still a very new medium. I would say it is only in the last 20-30 years that the idea of competitive video games really got started. However, in recent years to my knowledge one can actually start to make a living out of playing video games. I am mainly looking at certain speed runners who use medium like Youtube and Twitch to make a day to day living off of advertisements, entertainment, and donations.

In this vein, it is difficult to say where these indicators will lead to in 50 years. The point with Melee is that it is arguably the best competitive iteration in the franchise. Seen mainly by its longevity and support over the years. The fact that Nintendo has been supporting Apex 2015 and the newer Smash4 goes to show its probably continued longevity. The biggest thing is merely having a huge amount of attention drawn towards the game.

Given this history I could very well see Melee continuing into the future for maybe even another decade. At the very least Melee has survived one game release sequel and another one as well. It could very well maintain this momentum given that controllers are supported and the massive amount of CRTs still in existence. With 20+ million units sold of GC and 7 million of melee. I doubt the game will decline simply because the equipment does not exist. My guess is that Melee has at least until next generation which is generally about 5-6 year release times. This is including a slow decline in support. However, if Smash64 is anything to judge by the game series will probably never reach a status of completely dead. Probably only once those who grew up with the game are all dead will the game truly die after 80+ years from its inception.

GameRat

Smash Cadet
This game is heavily praised and supported by the smash bros community, so I don't think this game will die out for a very long time.
Even after 14 years, people are still playing it endlessly so they can compete in tournaments.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Depends on how long Japan will keep making gamecube controllers for. Once everyone's controller breaks, we're toast. Another problem will be that HDTVs will become more and more mainstream with less people owning SDTVs. Without a standard def. television, you can't really enjoy Melee.
Not true, I use a BenQ gaming monitor with my Avermedia LGP and it works with less than 1 frame of lag. Works well enough, not perfect like CRT but enough to be able to wall tech and make microsecond decisions

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
You're right, my bad. It was kinda ignorant to say that. I just don't think by that point it will be considered as a possible replacement for melee.
no worries :). i dont think melee can ever really be replaced,,,it has too much history

Top Bottom