• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your most embarrassing loss?

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Anytime time I get KO'd by a move I really should have seen coming.

Last edited:

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I notice your main is MK. This ONLY happens to me when I play as MK. Is there a there something to this?
Well, when it does happen it's usually because I whiffed a Shuttle Loop off stage and am trying to get to the ledge to avoid getting punished.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well, when it does happen it's usually because I whiffed a Shuttle Loop off stage and am trying to get to the ledge to avoid getting punished.
That's when it happens to me! Never happens with any other character. Weird.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
When my controller malfunctions. Seriously, when my character begins walking/running in a totally different direction and ends up KOing itself.

Or how about when a platform disappears and you go in for a ground pound but end up KOing yourself as a result?
I'm curious. What controller did you use? Because when I bought a third party controller, not only the A and the B button stopped working but, I was unable to get my character to move forward because the analog stick broke down on me.

The controller I used was the Afterglow controller for the Wii U. First and last time I will EVER buy anything not Nintendo property. Got my money back, though. That s*** broke down three weeks after purchasing.

I've dropped three fights because of that.

TroperCase

Smash Cadet
Super embarrassing. In 2v2 Glory, I Bowser Bombed with a second and a half left past the edge, for some reason thinking I could spike an opponent and not hit the bottom blast line myself until the time ran out. Instead, it missed the opponent, SDd with still half a second left, taking it to Sudden Death where we lost. Eugh.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I'm curious. What controller did you use? Because when I bought a third party controller, not only the A and the B button stopped working but, I was unable to get my character to move forward because the analog stick broke down on me.

The controller I used was the Afterglow controller for the Wii U. First and last time I will EVER buy anything not Nintendo property. Got my money back, though. That s*** broke down three weeks after purchasing.

I've dropped three fights because of that.
Wiimote and Nunchuk. Same layout as Brawl, I got used to it in the countless hours of playing Brawl, and I don't feel like switching to something different. I've already replaced my Nunchuk once because of the Z button sticking. The Nunchuk I'm using now came with the Wii I got for Xmas in 2007. I'm not sure if the Wiimote responds all that well as it used to though. When I go to grab for instance, I will often jab but not throw despite pressing up, down, or left/right on the control pad.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I lost to zero in a friendly and was so dissapointed in myself. I thought I would have at least been able to take 30%. i was mistaken
Many of the top players in the world have seen the same. I wouldn't feel too embarrassed.

golden009

Smash Rookie
Recovering the wrong way. No shenanigans, just I went left instead of right and that's a stock.

Saucen

Bruh
NNID
FangMaGuoLai
I rollout off the edge more often than I'd care to admit.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Gobbed into Kirby or Ganoncided. At least the former is funny thanks to Kirby's poofy face.

Last edited:

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
I lost to a little mac who dash attacked in the neutral... it was a very sad day

RevySSB

Smash Cadet
Also the best way for me to kill somebody is just to ledge camp as kirby and inhale when they go close to the ledge, and then i let go when im down at the bottom. Many players dont know about this strat which makes it even more funnier to do.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Actually, it can be a pretty useful move. People downplay it way more than it deserves.
I use it on the occasional tech chase. It covers literally every option, and it's pretty safe too if you can control it (which isn't hard or anything). If you have them locked to the ground at high percentage, it's also a pretty reliable kill option from what I've experienced.

I don't use it for anything else though. Maybe for a mix-up every once in a while, but that's it, and even then I try B-Reversing it to really throw the opponent off.

Last edited:

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
I was playing Bowser Jr. and I jumped out of my cart (while on the stage) and missed the ledge. The second life I Side B'd off the side and couldn't get back.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
Anyone who purposely dittoed me on for glory just to disrespect, I rarely lose but when I do I have to take anti depressants.
Sometimes I ditto them for fun, I taunt in the beginning to show that it's all for good fun and nothing bad intended.

Especially when I play Falcon, since falcon dittos are really fun.

Last edited:

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
I shielded a shield breaker... I have no idea what i was thinking, was having a good close match and yeah, i just decided to try and shield it :sadeyes: that lead to a tipper f smash..

Sometimes I ditto them for fun, I taunt in the beginning to show that it's all for good fun and nothing bad intended.

Especially when I play Falcon, since falcon dittos are really fun.
I always ditto Falcons when i run into one of FG

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I've had a lot of embarrassing losses, but there's one that burns above all in my memory.

This guy had a mii named "BLACK PPL" that looked like it came straight out of a Minstrel Show; bulging eyes and lips and all that.
And during the match itself, he teabagged at every single opportunity. Every single opportunity.
I was determined to take him down.

But not only did I lose, I got utterly destroyed.

I still haven't forgiven myself.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I've had a lot of embarrassing losses, but there's one that burns above all in my memory.

This guy had a mii named "BLACK PPL" that looked like it came straight out of a Minstrel Show; bulging eyes and lips and all that.
And during the match itself, he teabagged at every single opportunity. Every single opportunity.

Oh my god. I hate those morons that have racist miis but are actually good. Usually trolls are terrible.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Holy thing, yesterday it felt like my blood was full of NaCl. It just wasn't my best day to Smash.
The epitome of it came against this ZSS, who wasn't a Zero Skill Spamus, but wasn't that good too.
On my first stock, I aimed Final Cutter wrong and ended up falling off-stage. I almost made a Comeback but ended up losing. It was pretty close, to be honest.
Then he changed to Kirby. Oh my God, I became so mad that I almost lost. But, I was so mad, I decided to... change to ZSS. I shouldn't have done that, because, despite having a "visual" memory on how to play her well, I played her like Kirby somehow. Like, using D-Airs and that stuff. I ended up losing because Flip Jump did not work (and worse, I lost my second jump) somehow, but the next thing I did was wish "GG!" and quit. Oh my, I felt so dirty doing that.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Was that that Luigi player? Dude teabagged so much it looked like he was wavedashing. If it helps, I beat the ever-loving **** out of that guy.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
losers finals, set is 2-2, i'm up 60% on this sheik as peach

he brings me to the ledge to edgeguard with needles and i accidentally mistime my umbrella by like a split second

rip

KirbCider

Smash Ace
My most embarrassing loss up to date had to of been a For Glory 1V1 match (:4dedede:VS:4robinf:).

It was an extremely close match and this Robin player was really good. They tended to use their Side B a little too often, but they were still good regardless. There were moments I was really tearing them a new one and there were moments they were tearing me a new one during the match. It boiled down to our last stocks and we were both at high percentages. It was anyone's game.

So, I managed to get knocked off the stage and Robin was eagerly waiting for me at the edge. I figured a Gordo will make them back off so I can recover without worry, but instead they flung it back at me. Now here's where my embarrassment comes in:

I try to air dodge my Gordo, but instead end up accidentally catching it. Needless to say it caused my loss. What a goof.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
My most embarrassing loss up to date had to of been a For Glory 1V1 match (:4dedede:VS:4robinf:).

It was an extremely close match and this Robin player was really good. They tended to use their Side B a little too often, but they were still good regardless. There were moments I was really tearing them a new one and there were moments they were tearing me a new one during the match. It boiled down to our last stocks and we were both at high percentages. It was anyone's game.

So, I managed to get knocked off the stage and Robin was eagerly waiting for me at the edge. I figured a Gordo will make them back off so I can recover without worry, but instead they flung it back at me. Now here's where my embarrassment comes in:

I try to air dodge my Gordo, but instead end up accidentally catching it. Needless to say it caused my loss. What a goof.
You can catch a gordo?

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
You can catch a gordo?
Yes, Dedede can catch the gordo then throw it back if Dedede makes contact with the gordo at about the same time as he throws out his move. Just like you'd catch an item. You can't catch the gordo though, only Dedede can.

If Dedede throws out his move before making contact with the gordo he'll reflect it instead.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Yes, Dedede can catch the gordo then throw it back if Dedede makes contact with the gordo at about the same time as he throws out his move. Just like you'd catch an item. You can't catch the gordo though, only Dedede can.
^^^ Pretty much sums it up pretty well ^^^

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
My most embarrassing losses have been when I tried my hardest, went through my entire bag of tricks, and still lost the game. Mostly because my character is outclassed in several key aspects of the game which require exceptional talent to recognize and take advantage of.

I usually beat lesser players because of my good knowledge of frame data and how to use it to my advantage, but whenever I straight up lose, no johns, I lose to frame data. Every character in the game has beaten my with irrefutable frame advantage at least once. It's pretty embarrassing.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
My most embarrassing losses have been when I tried my hardest, went through my entire bag of tricks, and still lost the game. Mostly because my character is outclassed in several key aspects of the game which require exceptional talent to recognize and take advantage of.

I usually beat lesser players because of my good knowledge of frame data and how to use it to my advantage, but whenever I straight up lose, no johns, I lose to frame data. Every character in the game has beaten my with irrefutable frame advantage at least once. It's pretty embarrassing.
I don't know if you're using the term "frame data" correctly...

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if you're using the term "frame data" correctly...
I don't think so. Other characters have faster moves and less endlag. You just have to look at the data.

I'm not going to embellish too much in this thread, but every character besides Shulk and Dedede have either a faster Fair, a faster Bair, or a faster Fair and Bair than Yoshi's Fair and Bair. Yoshi loses to frame data in critical areas without even mentioning his grab.

Every character has faster attacks than Yoshi in the air with the sole exception of Nair and maybe Uair. When I lose to people like this, it's pretty obvious that my character which I have put hundreds of hours into improving on is not good at a high level of play. His frame data is, surprise, bad.

I'm less embarrassed by these losses to frame data than I am embarrassed by the countless of wins that I should have lost if my opponent didn't screw up for one brief moment where a top player would not screw up.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I don't think so. Other characters have faster moves and less endlag. You just have to look at the data.

I'm not going to embellish too much in this thread, but every character besides Shulk and Dedede have either a faster Fair, a faster Bair, or a faster Fair and Bair than Yoshi's Fair and Bair. Yoshi loses to frame data in critical areas without even mentioning his grab.

Every character has faster attacks than Yoshi in the air with the sole exception of Nair and maybe Uair. When I lose to people like this, it's pretty obvious that my character which I have put hundreds of hours into improving on is not good at a high level of play. His frame data is, surprise, bad.

I'm less embarrassed by these losses to frame data than I am embarrassed by the countless of wins that I should have lost if my opponent didn't screw up for one brief moment where a top player would not screw up.
:chuckle: Dude, Yoshi's frame data is freaking amazing. You're just butthurt... LOL!

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
:chuckle: Dude, Yoshi's frame data is freaking amazing. You're just butthurt... LOL!
lol

Yoshi's frame data is so bad that Bowser has a faster F-air and a faster B-air with larger hitboxes and more knockback.

Yoshi has Jab, F-tilt, N-air, and U-air which are 'good' frame data wise. Everything is is average at best.

So, Yoshi has a advantages over Bowser in some areas, but not where it matters most - in this air. This is true fro practically every character. They can all react better in the air, they can control the airspace better. Yoshi can hope the mess up and let him overlap hurtboxes to N-air, but a good player doesn't let that happen, and even if they do the reward is 5-10%.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Tried to do jab to nair as falco near the ledge even though Ive never tried it before. Accidentally did a fast fall fair to death.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
lol

Yoshi's frame data is so bad that Bowser has a faster F-air and a faster B-air with larger hitboxes and more knockback.

Yoshi has Jab, F-tilt, N-air, and U-air which are 'good' frame data wise. Everything is is average at best.

So, Yoshi has a advantages over Bowser in some areas, but not where it matters most - in this air. This is true fro practically every character. They can all react better in the air, they can control the airspace better. Yoshi can hope the mess up and let him overlap hurtboxes to N-air, but a good player doesn't let that happen, and even if they do the reward is 5-10%.
Bowsers F-air doesn't meteor smash. And, even if you think the frame data is bad (which it isn't), frame data isn't everything. Maybe Yoshi has some slow moves. But he makes up for that slowness in power.

But at the end of the day, if you think Yoshi is so bad, why do you even play as him?

GingaGreninja

Smash Rookie
I've had two recently. On for glory I lost against someone who decided to try my main (villager) after I destroyed him. So the match plays out with me edging it out easily until he gets a lucky tumber kill (I pocketed his and released it which he pocketed and used it in me). Another one was a Kirby (the guy and I played a lot of jokey games) and he off stage inhaled me to death TWICE! I replied with a two stock ;)

Douglas Jay Ganon

Smash Apprentice
I've had two recently. On for glory I lost against someone who decided to try my main (villager) after I destroyed him. So the match plays out with me edging it out easily until he gets a lucky tumber kill (I pocketed his and released it which he pocketed and used it in me). Another one was a Kirby (the guy and I played a lot of jokey games) and he off stage inhaled me to death TWICE! I replied with a two stock ;)
At least you could reply. Some people just go like "lmao get trolled scrub lolololo" and leave...

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Once I was playing as Ike against my level 50 Mega Man amiibo on Battlefield with no items and three stocks. Initially I've managed to do pretty well, killing Mega Man with a down air meteor smash twice before losing even one stock, but for some reason I didn't manage to remove his last stock while he killed me twice.

Then at the end of the match I tried to edgeguard him once again by trying to do a meteor smash, I failed, so I tried to recover. Except that I wasn't facing the ledge and forgot that Aether can't grab backwards. And I lost my last stock :lol:

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
In tourney mode, I had the percent lead with R.O.B. against a Fox when we had even stocks. However, I assume that percent lead was not that large, because in the last 5 seconds of the game, I decide to disrespect with a taunt. However, my taunt was long enough for Fox to run upsmash me and win the game, percent wise. Now I've learned my lesson...

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Pretty much any time I try to back-air gimp off-stage but whiff and fastfall to my death. It's happened more than you'd think actually ; _ ;

Top Bottom