• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your Mario Playstyle?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Well, this has been bothering me for awhile. I watch plenty of Mario vids this last week, and I see that there are plenty of Mario mains that have different playstyles, like different ways of approaching, different methods of attacking, etc.

What I want to do is make a list of all the playstyles Mario can be played as. The more playstyles we can add onto the list, the better we Marios can become as a whole if we try to adapt each one into our game.

I'll be first and add my personal one.

Quick Mario

Overview: Utilizes Mario's running speed to approach his opponent. Mainly uses short-hopped fireballs to approach and dash attack to poke through shields and laggy attacks. Main method is to use ground-based attacks to knock the opponent into the air and to set up combos.

Pros:
+Quick and Aggressive
+Keeps Pressure on the opponent
+Utilizes the majority of Mario's ground moves for aerial set-ups.

Cons:
-Lacks short-hopped aerials
-If too aggressive, can easily be shielded and punished.

EDIT: You don't have to use this format btw. :p

Matt07

Smash Master
My Mario.

The Dtilt Mario.

Overview: This Mario tries to prove how succesfull dtilt really is, and it's really the only move they use in the entire match.

Pros;
+It has no pros.
+You can hide underneath Falco's lasers, and other projectiles. But there is a frame where Mario will still get hit.

Cons;
-It has no pros.
-It has little knockback.
-It does little damage.
-It has starting lag, making it very easy for your opponent to punish.

That was a joke post :p, but seriously here's how I think my Mario is.

Aerial Mario

Overview: This Mario relies on his air attacks to approach, space, retreat, attack, combo, etc. I also like to shield grab, then follow into aerials. They rarely use ground moves, and only use Fireballs to approach/retreat.

Pros:
+Can combo really well.
+Keeps Mario's smashes fresh, and uses them for K.O'ing.
+Most of his aerials can combo into a ground move (d-air into dsmash, b-bair into fsmash.)

Cons:
-A character with longer range, or better priority in the air can wreck this Mario.
-Sometimes approaching or retreating with aerials can be troublesome.
-Can be shield-grabbed if spaced wrong.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
you need develop your own playstyle
trust me on this one.....
Yes, we know. It's very true that a Mario main needs their own playstyle.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at what other styles are out there, right? Having a good knowledge of them can often help your own game if you know that "doing this" is better than "doing that".

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The Distance Mario

Keep your distance! Let your opponents approach you and pick away at there percentages with fireballs while you're at it. Once they come in for the hit, dodge, grab, and proceed to ****.

mikybee93

Smash Rookie
The Control Mario

This play style is basically meant to keep the other player from hitting you.
Spam cape and throw them into the air, on their way down jump up to meet them and kick the crap outta them.
Also, lots of dodging and rolling.

Pros
+ Don't take much damage
+ Have lots of chances to attack
+ It's really all mind games

Cons
- Doesn't work against characters like Kirby or Jigglypuff
- Air dodges
- Zelda can just teleport out of it
- If your cape is dodged, you can take some bad punishment

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Meh, I bet someone already did this and I never noticed...

The Space Mario

Pretty much SH fireballs at your opponents, forcing them to approach. When they do, go crazy with aerials and grabs on them and then knock them away, rinse and repeat till you get a chance to KO.

Pros:
+ Pisses your opponent off.
+ You can actually do a sudden approach while fireballing for a surprise.
+ Keeps you away from your opponent.
+ Gives you a chance to charge FLUDD every few moments.

Cons:
- Will most likely not work on space animals, mother's boys or angels.
- Easily predictable.
- Might be hard to KO, even through edgeguarding.
- Might cause people to hate playing with you.
- Opponent could approach and attack YOU if you're not thinking straight.

... I tried.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I feel I should go more in depth about my Mario Playstyle.

The Agressive Mario

Overview: Attack, attack, attackattackattack FSMASH FTW!

Pros:
+High Reward
+Does well against defensive characters
+Allows for lots of mixups

Cons:
-High Risk
-Move Decay runs rampant

CaCa

Smash Rookie
I don't have a tactic.. I just use alot of combo's on the ground or in the air, it doesn't realy matter.

I have a question. I really hate his F.L.U.D.D thingy, does anybody use it? I always charge the attack, but I never had the chance of holding someone back when they try to recover. Maybe someone has a tip for me?

vato_break

Smash Master
I don't have a tactic.. I just use alot of combo's on the ground or in the air, it doesn't realy matter.

I have a question. I really hate his F.L.U.D.D thingy, does anybody use it? I always charge the attack, but I never had the chance of holding someone back when they try to recover. Maybe someone has a tip for me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uill9wgXQ4

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Adaptive Mario

Offensive start but still pays close attention to spacing and approach. Offensive momentum but gradually adapts to opponent's playstyle with minimal risk approaches. As match progresses, punishes more effectively and controls more. Abuses the F.L.U.D.D. for defensive and pressuring purposes. Rolls little. Very offensive aerial game using mainly double SHed aerials. Balanced use of tilts and smashes. Uses fireballs mainly for approaching but also uses them to bait moves, restrict their opponent's options, and for direct setups. Will predict opponent's actions but won't necessarily use mindgames to do so. The ultimate goal of this playstyle is to have complete control over the match.

Pros

+Can play decently against all characters and playstyles
+Potentially very fast
+No distinctive weakness
+Potentially can punish any move
+Potentially very good at pressuring

Cons

-Low experience can make this playstyle ineffective
-Mindgames can damper the effectiveness of this playstyle

I’m not really this kind of player, but I’ve played a few people who are like this. This is probably the most sensible Mario playstyle since Mario is so well-rounded and versatile in the first place.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
The 101 mario aka adaptive mario

Basically i use everything at my disposal to skool my foes, and if something goes wrong i try to change my playstyle.
Pros-Is too gudz
Cons-None, unless u can tell me.
There's no cons if you have experience, it's just if you're inexperienced you might fall on your face a few times before you learn but that's kinda how things work with anything.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
I play an adaptive Mario that is very offensively based, but I overuse the F.L.U.D.D. Vato knows what I'm talking about...

Ravon

Smash Rookie
Learning Mario

Will be very defensive at first but after a while of studying your opponent's playstyle will attack and defend as necessary. Makes sure to dodge the enemy as much as possible to learn when they will attack. Uses the FLUDD and Cape to cause some gimp K.O's and to keep the enemy away as much as possible. Will also use effective mindgames.

Pros

• Will be very flexible..
  • Causes minimal damage to yourself.
  • Will be able to punish opponent effectivley after a while.
Cons

• Could possibly be caught off gaurd.
  • People would possibly not want to play with you because off camping.
  • The match will last longer than it should have to.

I don't really use this but my friends do because according to them I change my playstyle every battle. Don't know how this makes sence but still.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I tend to alternate between aggressive Mario, defensive Mario and learning Mario. Instead of using the FLUDD and cape often (though I never forget them) I try to run off to chase the opponent and give them the rawkfist. While successful often, it's often risky when people prefer to come in to the ledge up high rather than down low.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
This sounds kinda fun. hmm.

Juggling Mario

Pretty much every approach with my mario is in the air. Lots of bair up air combos with nair sprinkled about. Lots and lots of short hops. Uses the weak knock back of the aerial attacks to combo into other attacks in a short hop. Fireballs are also used quite a bit for approaching to prevent opponent from running away. Uses dsmash alot to finish off SH combos. Uses almost no Usmash or Fsmash for damage.

Favorite Combos
*Utilt combo
*Utilt to Uair
*SH Bair/Nair into Dsmash
*Reverse SH Nair to Fsmash (For kills)

Pros
*Racks up damage fast
*Saves fsmash and usmash for kills
*Set up kills easier
*Overwhelms opponents with aerials and doesnt allow them to use smashes either.

Cons
*Somewhat weak against shield grabbing if not timed correctly
*Doesn't work as well against heavily defensive players
*Light and tiny characters are harder to hit with sh aerials

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Defensive. . But also offensive, but more defenisive.

Up B oos
FIHL
Retreating and Approaching Bairs.
Dair Mindgamez.

And also adaptive to many situations....except Olimar's grab range..

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
I usually play to fit the situation. But as far as my metagame mainly goes....

Quick Mario
Usually I play in a way to keep my playing style from being stale, by using mario's agility. You will definitely not see me "Stand Still", unless I truly feel that I need to break away from this style to surprise foes when i come back to it....

Pros
+lots of sidestepping, shield dashing, shield dashing to help cg, SH airdodging, and oos action
+usage of arials in a quick succession as combos/movement (ie FH fair, sh to fh dair, etc)
+jab canceling with the mixture of tilts, grabs, smashes, specials, etc
+Stutter stepping fakes with fsmash/ dash dancing
+Will not hesitate to spam fireballs if your asking for it
+Favors fludding and canceling the fludd
+lots of edge work plus cape gluiding
Cons
-my focus on combos over rides my tendecy to KO..... -_-
-Needs to work on caping more often to GIMP. Its getting there, but i know i can do better...
-My anger against Mario's horrible matchup against the fearsome five: Olimar, MK, Falco, DDD, Snake ( I would've place GW in that list, but i just recently figure how to face him effectively ^_^).

Matt07

Smash Master
:laugh:, I love Monk's I think it out beats the d-tilt Mario ;).

It's fun reading about other Mario's playstyles, quite interesting.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Aggressive Mario
Show no mercy, take no prisoners. Once you get in, don't let go until they're 100% or higher. Capeglide is your friend, SH aerials your family, and fullhopped Dairs, your religion.

Pros
-Pretty easy to overwhelm the opponent, especially if they don't know how to fight Mario.
-It's hard to turn momentum against an aggressive opponent unless you're super defensive...or Olimar
-Abuse of fireball approaches and fullhopped Dairs makes getting in child's play...then I abuse the child with Uairs, Utilts, jabs and Dthrows that look very Boss-esque.
-Easier to KO when you're throwing out smashes like candy. Not at random, but with proper spacing and junk.
-Makes the game feel a bit like Melee.
-Look up Overswarm's bit on "Soulcrushing". Yeah...I do that.

Cons
-Such a fun playstyle that I use it when I shouldn't. Defensive beats Agressive if played right.
-Characters like Olimar and Falco have answers to this kind of play :ohwell:
-Doesn't work if I'm not playing with music.
-Prone to screw ups. I.E. upB under FD...all the time.

I'm really curious to see Monk's playstyle in action. The latest vid was of Him and Polmex ****** that poor Peach

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I'm really curious to see Monk's playstyle in action. The latest vid was of Him and Polmex ****** that poor Peach
It's basically this big wall of hurt...that people seem to have trouble getting past...I look at it and I'm all...that's easy to get past but they all NAH ***** THAT **** IMPOSSIBLE so I dunno

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's basically this big wall of hurt...that people seem to have trouble getting past...I look at it and I'm all...that's easy to get past but they all NAH ***** THAT **** IMPOSSIBLE so I dunno
It seems pretty good on paper, especially since characters like D3 and Falco won't be able to CG. PKNintendo still hasn't told me about that super grab break...

I'm definitely trying this on the next Falco or D3 I play.

vato_break

Smash Master
Isn't super grab break where you rotate the control stick and keep flicking up on the c-stick?
I think i read it at the ness boards, the infinite on Mario is similar to ness's but, im not sure if this would work because you don't have time to execute this unless D3 pummels you unlike ness's where only thing marth does is pummel,release,regrab and repeat... someone should test this ,though i doubt it will work.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
My Mario:

Offensive Mario

I don't camp, unless I'm have one less stock then my opponent. I use short hopped fireballs to approach, then begin a combo of: down throw -> short-hopped dair -> short hopped (if possible) uair -> double jump uair -> nair. On the ground, I punish misses and lag with down smash or sidestep followed by a grab. When my opponent tries to recover I use a fireball to set up for a fair meteor smash.

Pros:

- Allows to quickly rank up damage
- Doesn't allow your foe to counterattack.
- Can KO quite early.

Cons:
- Lacks defense. Quick smashes can ruin this tactic.
- Can become predictable.

D.mann

Smash Cadet
I guess i can say i play smart, i try to counter my styles of who ever im fighting, say for instace i was fighting a DDD, i would keep my distance, look for openings for combos, and toss in a little fire bawlz for xtra %. But if i was to fight a Snake or Ness or even a G&W (considering that if he buckets you phire bawlz from a far there is no punishment) I would play more agressive and Attempt more gimps. So i guess i have that Counter mentality

RylanRD1

Smash Cadet
I might as well take a go at it:

Meteor Smash Mario

I basically get them off the edge and smash them down with my favourite move, the FAir.

Pros:

+Good at high damages.
+Works better on characters with bad recoveries. (Ness, Lucas, Link, etc; )
+If opponent doesn't get Ko'd, you can smash them again or pull off a stage spike.

Cons:

-Characters with good recoveries can easily get up. (MK, ROB, Weegee, Pit, etc; )
-May be suicide if done incorrectly.

It works against my friends nearly every time ;)

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I might as well take a go at it:

Meteor Smash Mario

I basically get them off the edge and smash them down with my favourite move, the FAir.

Pros:

+EPIC

Cons:

-Characters with good recoveries can easily get up. (MK, ROB, Weegee, Pit, etc; )
-May be suicide if done incorrectly.

It works against my friends nearly every time ;)
Fixed it for yah.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Cheap & Creatively Campy

It pays off not rushing in swinging in the first move all of the time. Since all of Mario's moves are so basic, predictable, and easily read.

Pro's

+Staying close, but not too close. Pays off.
+Fireballs are too good if used in a wise arm extension fashion.
+Basic shield grab oppurtunities and punishments alway show up.
+Basic jab combo & Ocassional Jab cancel to a smash or grab is too good. Makes them think twice about standevading, or shielding
+If they have no projectile. (Or a garbage one) I'm setting my own pace throughout the fight.
+Lot's of empty SH's. Keeps them guessing, at times, makes them shoot off a move first. While I follow up afterwards.

Con's

-Change strategy 'Entirely, change' if the opposition is overwhelming you.
-You can't outcamp everybody. But you can still be an evade/punish type of cheap ho thankfully
-Mario isnt all that unfortunatly. :(

+ & -

You can always switch to being in your face, agressive back to campy at any point in time during or throughout the fight. If being patiently campy aint working for you at the time. Vice versa with every other possible Mario approach imaginable

This is when character matchup experience comes in. You know what to do. What works against his main. And most importantly, what the opponet's character can and will potentially do to your Mario.

Just be everchanginly flexible.

Top Bottom