• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats wrong with Hanenbrow?

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B., unlike every other character, didn't have important games just. He himself was the only important part. So a R.O.B. stage would be just as pointless as Hanenbow.

Gillenium

Smash Rookie
Pointless? Do you know how rare Electroplankton is? Check Ebay. The stage is like you're getting a more fun version of the game. It's a cool stage from a cool game, and definitely deserves priority over ANOTHER nes remake stage to accommodate ROB.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
If both players are willing to play competitively in the stage, then getting random hits shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't like this stage at all, but I see no prolonging problems with any feature in it that qualifies the stage for a ban. It's more or less nit-picking because of a biased dislike for the stage. The stage may limit certain players' abilities to play well, but it does not prevent them.
If that mindset is taken, then any stage should be pickable if both players agree to it. Bottom line is that Hanenbow's gimmick as a purely platform stage prevents it from being a versatile display of skill between the competitors. Playing on a competitive level implies playing at one's best, and so to me, any unique limit that a stage imposes upon a player's ability to play the game I see as being a measure preventing them from playing at the level that is necessary to play at their best. Other stages that are counterpickable have hazards that do impose such limits, but on the whole, they're easily avoided and once over, the battle continues as it normally would. Hanenbow's unique limits are built into the stage itself, and thus prevents a decent stage for competition.

It's a neat stage, but one that should be banned for tourneys, IMO.

Rokk141

Smash Rookie
A banned stage is pickable if both players agree to it. It limits your ability to play like you would in several other stages, but there is still a playstyle that Hanenbrow facilitates. To play at your best is to recognize how to play on any given stage to give you an advantage. Nothing about Hanenbrow can be considered random, it's just an odd stage. You're absolutely right in saying that it emphasizes a good aerial game and strong up-smashes, but that alone should not be grounds for a ban. You will know when you will play on Hanenbrow, so you can pick a character that can take advantage of it's unique layout.

RK Tha Prez

Smash Cadet
I LOVE the stage... its pretty cool... but i can see it being banned in tourneys...

but its better than ****ing FD being played all the time

NeuralScan

Smash Cadet
I can't play this stage. The music is really grating (is it meant to be relaxing?), and first time I saw it I was like... God this looks awful. The layout isn't very fun, either :/

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I only like playing it with CPUs because whenever I play it with humans, EVERYONE RUNS and the match takes literally 15 minutes to complete so all we can do is just sit there going "ok wtf, stop running..."

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has said no downloadable content.

But, one of the critisisms is that it's too easy to manuver.

Welcome to any stage with platforms. Nerf battlefield?

Air dodge the thunder and then while he's still stuck in pk thunder mode, get him.

If he can get high enough, he'll grab it, otherwise, tether recovering would be the better option.
The difference with these platforms is that they are stacked, so it's quite different... I would never suggest... er, "nerfing" stages with platforms.

As for air dodging the thunder... well, that's just one example. If I were to continue with using Lucas as an example, I would also say that his thunder has a very tight turn-around, as we all know, and it doesn't take much effort to come back around to hit you. But that's really just arguing semantics/trivia, and we could go back and forth a million times with it. My point is that it doesn't break the stage, but I find it annoying and it makes it not fun to play.

And tether recovery/grabbing the edge only works if you're at the edge of the platform. If you're trying to come up through the middle of the platform, it just gets pushed up and you have no chance to grab anything. That's what I meant.

Terron

Smash Rookie
I LOVE the stage... its pretty cool... but i can see it being banned in tourneys...

but its better than ****ing FD being played all the time
I gotta disagree with you. At first I thought Hanenbow would be an ok stage, but when I played it I friggin fell through the flowers and straight into the water. This wasn't so bad but then I couldn't get out of the water. I simply can't play at this stage. I'm going to try it one more time before I give up on it.

sxiz

Smash Cadet
for the last ****ing time its not water it is a blue illusion

god people are stupid on the internet

also why are you playing with Ivysaur on Hanenbow when you can be air ****** with Squirtle, and Zamus's back jump is good enough recovery, and olimar is GREAT on this stage so really the tether argument fails

i see it as one of the more extreme counterpicks, favoring an aerial game and a bit of camping

Mephy

Smash Rookie
Hanenbrow is counterpick worthy.. DEFINATELY not worth a ban. There aren't even any hazards. sure it might be a little more difficult for tether recoveries, but final destination has that annoying lip on it that can make it harder for some recoveries.

And what about rainbow cruise in melee? that was a counterpick..

orintemple

Smash Lord
Cool stage. Unique, interesting, different...

TERRIBLE.

I hate it, its so bad for fighting on. The water is stupid and that dumb fake branch is also annoying. Also you can't grab the edges right and there are no edges if you fall through the center.

Mephy

Smash Rookie
Cool stage. Unique, interesting, different...

TERRIBLE.

I hate it, its so bad for fighting on. The water is stupid and that dumb fake branch is also annoying. Also you can't grab the edges right and there are no edges if you fall through the center.
there ARE edges... there isn't any water though.. it may look like water but if it was you'de be able to swim. You fall through

ReploidArmada

Smash Rookie
What's wrong with Hanenbow? You mean, what's NOT wrong with Hanenbow? That stage is a piece of fail. Spear Pillar is a better stage than Hanenbow; at least you can sweetspot ledges on SP. Hanenbow has the worst stage design I've ever seen in a Smash game, except maybe Melee Temple - if only because it's bigger than a football field.

In fact, I hate Hanenbow so much, here's an itemized list:
1) There's almost no ledgegrabbing.
2) The ledges change angle everytime something hits them, shoving items off into the "water".
3) The "water". Enough said.
4) Fake ledges and no ledges on the trees themselves.

No wonder this stage is banned from tourney stage rotations. It's horrible!

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
People have the weirdest complaints about stages, though I suppose people are entitled to their opinion for friendly gameplay. Competitive-wise though, I dont see any problems with it so far. I've seen the CPU Tether recover from it. If you fall prey to the fake water or the "fake stick" i've yet to encounter, it's your fault for not expecting the worst or trying the stage out beforehand since they are merely visual effects and not actual hazards (ex, the Arwings in Lylat Cruise).

Personally, I find the stage enjoyable but I can see how it would be counterpick for tournaments. The platforms are too small for "real combat" to take place (Snake would kill with his tilts). It's really the only issue I see aside from the color theme looking like someone went nuts with the photoshop gradients.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I think it's a bit too big for singles. I poked around in training mode and I found it possible with the Speedy characters to spam projectiles and run away. A lot.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I think it's a bit too big for singles. I poked around in training mode and I found it possible with the Speedy characters to spam projectiles and run away. A lot.
You sure? My friend plays Samus and loves to projectile camp with her charge shot, but I've managed to catch up with him as Ike and Olimar just fine at Hanenbrow despite them being slower.

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
Yeah, all my friends hate that place, but I like it .w.
It's... different XD Maybe people don't like it because there's too many platforms/too big/can't see where the platforms are? XD I still like it though.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
As a ness player i detest this stage. The pk thunder from Ness is very different then Lucas as it doesn't get to hit multiple times. I am only one Ness player but recovering in this stage is very very hard. I see it as probably one of the best counter picks for Ness.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
I like this stage. Its not too bad. I can catch up with people as Ike too.

As for Ness, you need to wait to use your up b. You've got to be wicked good at it (like, without looking), but its possible to pull it off in the water and get back. You've just got to get far enough away from the leaf to avoid getting your attack absorbed.

Tether recoveries are nerfed if you recover on the INNER edges, in my experience, but not the OUTER edges. That might take more testing than my experiences, but thats what I noticed.

Whoever said that this reduces the ability to play competitively is wrong, in my opinion. It just highlights different aspects. the air aspect, in particular. really grounded fighters will have a hard time.

thats about all I've got on the topic.

Top Bottom