• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's wrong with aerials?

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Something I've wondered for a while is that many people dislike Roy's aerial combat. It's fairly quick and as harmful as many other characters. Just what is the problem?

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
People dislike Roy's Aerial combat because Marth's is better. :p

Well, ok. It's really hard to spike with his dair, his nair is weaker than Marth's, as is uair (I think Roy's uair is actually slower... o_0).

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Something I've wondered for a while is that many people dislike Roy's aerial combat. It's fairly quick and as harmful as many other characters. Just what is the problem?
they dont have knockback and do little damage and have (relatively) alot of lag. that answer your question?

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
Roy isn't slow, you just have to SHFFL to get his aerials to work well. Watch any of Neo's videos and you'll see that a very technically played Roy is strong (though a very technical anyone is generally strong) and fast. His short hop is shorter than Marth's, and his fast fall is quicker too, making his SHFFL'd aerials faster, though the lag time is still longer.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Roy isn't slow, you just have to SHFFL to get his aerials to work well. Watch any of Neo's videos and you'll see that a very technically played Roy is strong (though a very technical anyone is generally strong) and fast. His short hop is shorter than Marth's, and his fast fall is quicker too, making his SHFFL'd aerials faster, though the lag time is still longer.
dont tell me things about roy which are false. i know wtf a shffl is, and i know more about roy than you do. any char can be as fast as roy if they ****ing shffl. mewtwo is faster than roy at puting out aerials. saying roy is good because he has fast aerials is like saying someones a good runner because they have shoes. (if you dont get that metaphor then dont bother responding).

and marth can put out aerials faster than roy with doublefair so dont give me that "he does them faster than marth" bull****.

oh and btw, saying "a technical roy" gave you about -1000 credibility points because there is no such thing as a "technical roy", hes easy as hell to play, just hard to win with.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
roy is good

dont listen to what people say every character has good moves it just how u play them. A long time ago iceclimbers were crap then they moved up. its stupid how people even made a tiers list. What if tomorrow roy has an infinite that could kill easily would he move up? hell yeah he would.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
dont listen to what people say every character has good moves it just how u play them. A long time ago iceclimbers were crap then they moved up. its stupid how people even made a tiers list. What if tomorrow roy has an infinite that could kill easily would he move up? hell yeah he would.
ken should be very embarrased for having you as a brother after reading this post.

btw, if that was a joke, you fooled me

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Ice climbers were crap back THEN >_>, How ever Roy was always crap =( and its far from possible for a infinite to be discovered on him =/ BTW theres no need for rou to do any aerials other then u-air and n-air his ground moves is all you need =/

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
LOl.

the stupidity on the roy boards is AMAZING, its like a black hole of intellect
>.>

Who the hell are you thinking you're the **** and everyone else's opinion is junk? Stupidity? The fact that you would devote so much time and energy to a game could far more easily be construed as stupidity.

As far as a technical Roy, it means that his advanced techniques when using Roy are used very well. You recieve -1000 credibility points for not realizing that this is a game and calling anyone who is learning the game stupid shows ignorance and a mean-spiritedness that destroys the community.

gg moron.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
>.>

Who the hell are you thinking you're the **** and everyone else's opinion is junk? Stupidity? The fact that you would devote so much time and energy to a game could far more easily be construed as stupidity.
lol, so you are accusing me of spending too much time because i know what im talking about? rofl.

As far as a technical Roy, it means that his advanced techniques when using Roy are used very well.
its ridiculously easy to roys "advanced" techniques. compare his stuff (basically shffling and wavedashing) to foxes or falcos game. done.
You recieve -1000 credibility points for not realizing that this is a game and calling anyone who is learning the game stupid shows ignorance and a mean-spiritedness that destroys the community.
im not destroying the community, im destroying the community of scrubby *** low tier players who talk like they know something when they dont know ****.

oh, and if you want to LEARN something, then read, dont post.

leelue

Smash Lord
Yo Mcoy?
What the hell are you doin?

even if u are right, there isnt a person in here you is going to give a **** what you say if you remain a condecending asinine ***hole. dude, just pull back a bit, if your going to give advice, dont yell at other people and call em noobs, just calmy, and informatively correct them.

or let them make mistakes, its not like they are playing you, or after reading your posts, like they will ever want to.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
>.>

I believe hes 5150? >_> he knows what hes talking about.

As far as a technical Roy, it means that his advanced techniques when using Roy are used very well. You recieve -1000 credibility points for not realizing that this is a game and calling anyone who is learning the game stupid shows ignorance and a mean-spiritedness that destroys the community.

[/QUOTE]

You can say that about any character and doesnt really make that character "technical". A tech happy Roy doesn't even exist

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Yo Mcoy?
What the hell are you doin?

even if u are right, there isnt a person in here you is going to give a **** what you say if you remain a condecending asinine ***hole. dude, just pull back a bit, if your going to give advice, dont yell at other people and call em noobs, just calmy, and informatively correct them.

or let them make mistakes, its not like they are playing you, or after reading your posts, like they will ever want to.
i was attacked first.

I believe hes 5150? >_> he knows what hes talking about.

As far as a technical Roy, it means that his advanced techniques when using Roy are used very well.[/U] You recieve -1000 credibility points for not realizing that this is a game and calling anyone who is learning the game stupid shows ignorance and a mean-spiritedness that destroys the community.
You can say that about any character and doesnt really make that character "technical". A tech happy Roy doesn't even exist
thank you. and the reason why i called you stupid in my other post is because you didnt write "fair". fair is his best aerial by far.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
thank you. and the reason why i called you stupid in my other post is because you didnt write "fair". fair is his best aerial by far.
Really? >_< i always thought his fair was to easy to avoid,to easy to easy to punish by CC and only does what? 8^ sweetspotted? >_<

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Really? >_< i always thought his fair was to easy to avoid,to easy to easy to punish by CC and only does what? 8^ sweetspotted? >_<
fair is used with retreating fairs. what you do with roy is trying and get your opponent to come to you. if they do an aerial towards you (besides marth and ganon), sh backwards and do a fair. you will outrange them and hit them. depending on how far they are knocked back you can do a dtilt and start "comboing" or do an fsmash or tech chase and get control of the matchup

not only that but you can actually use it instead of uair in a cg combo at times

i started writing a roy guide, but idk if im gonna finish it. im like 80% done but i dont know if there is demand for it or not......

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
His aerials are really bad, like really bad. They are slow, easy to avoid, dont do too much damage, have little knock back. His dair is only a meteor which is: easily avoided, easily canceled, and easily missed. Id have to say his nair is his best aeral, just my opinion, its fast and has a decent amount of knock back, if you hit them with both hits.
Also, all his aerials can be crouch canceled, I havent checked out a sweetspotted dair though, so dont hold me to that.
The fact that most of the game is faught in the air, and Roy's aerials, well...suck compared to everybody elses.

Who ever said 5150 knows his Roy ****, I have to disagree. He knew his moves, but when it came to people that actually NEEDED help, the only advice he could muster was "Switch to *counterpick character*. He also told me once that Roy's edge hopped aerial was hard, I guess he never tried it with ganon.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Most of Roy's moves, when tipped, are worst than Marth's moves when... hilted... >.>

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Roy falls faster. :p And his Counter has a shorter opening time.
actually no, the counter comes otu slower

Who ever said 5150 knows his Roy ****, I have to disagree. He knew his moves, but when it came to people that actually NEEDED help, the only advice he could muster was "Switch to *counterpick character*. He also told me once that Roy's edge hopped aerial was hard, I guess he never tried it with ganon.
lol, you are such a stupid 13 year old rasta. people who come to this forum and go "hey i picked up roy yesterday cuz i dont know what tiers are, how do i beat peach?" the answer is, you won't, unless its your sister playing. if you want to have a chance, play a character that is good against peach. there is no point dishing out a page of advice for a matchup you shouldnt even play in the first place. if i gave them advice, they probably wouldnt even use it right. also, i even had my own "ask Cherokee Warrior" thread, in which i answered tons of questions.

oh, and roys ledgehopped aerial is hard. it is the second hardest one in the game. there is no disputing that.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
So is Ganon's Uair the hardest ledgehop? I certainly have trouble with that, and Roy's ledge hop nair >.> but on good days i can do both...

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
So is Ganon's Uair the hardest ledgehop? I certainly have trouble with that, and Roy's ledge hop nair >.> but on good days i can do both...
um........

uair isnt a ledgehop........neither is nair.......thats a move you do AFTER a ledgehop.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Oh... I see >.> Ledgehop is just hopping onto the edge thingy... Ganon's ledgehop is hardest I guess >.>

Roy-san

Smash Cadet
Roys aerials are...honestly anyone can say worse than marths. Foward air is pretty much his best because it usally sends them back a little. My fav of his a attacks. When marth hits with foward air it usually sends then back. Roy's most liely will just give them a decent dmg hit with knockback

Normal A in air can be a good combo combined with other attacks when cancelled properly and knowing how to wavedash correctly into more powerful attacks. Either way, any move can be useful for him when used right.

Just my opinion but it works for me. ^_^

JMSiebach

Smash Rookie
i think ya'll are just jealous haters
roys aerials are only worse than marth's if you play like a marth (does that make sense to you?)
so play like a freak, and your aerials will be pimp
i'll try to post some vids with tru='s roy later

leelue

Smash Lord
i was attacked first.

Thats not the important thing, its just the way it seemed you were spitting on them and thier opinions, wrong as you say they are.

Just let it go, not to mention its kinda sad that you would continue to return to the same thread over and over just to say meaningless things and insults.

A black hole of intellect?
how the hell do you expect anyone to care what you say after that mess. the best move for you here is to just let go, dont respond, and leave while people here may still respect you

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Thats not the important thing, its just the way it seemed you were spitting on them and thier opinions, wrong as you say they are.

Just let it go, not to mention its kinda sad that you would continue to return to the same thread over and over just to say meaningless things and insults.

A black hole of intellect?
how the hell do you expect anyone to care what you say after that mess. the best move for you here is to just let go, dont respond, and leave while people here may still respect you
I completely agree.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
i think ya'll are just jealous haters
roys aerials are only worse than marth's if you play like a marth (does that make sense to you?)
so play like a freak, and your aerials will be pimp
i'll try to post some vids with tru='s roy later
Ugh... go read the Roy FAQ. Roy's aerials are the equivalent of guerilla tactics. Never good, but can be okay if used correctly.

Wow, McCoy's an ***. At least he knows wtf he's talking about.

And Roy doesn't have an advantage in any matchup that I know of. If your advice is going to be counter pick for every match Roy isn't good in, then don't play Roy. That's seriously some of the best advice we can give you. If you don't like that advice, someone can try to help you, but it's not going to be effective. There's nothing to really be taught about Roy. It's more like experiment and know your opponent. He's a complete mindgames character.

technomancer

Smash Champion
um........

uair isnt a ledgehop........neither is nair.......thats a move you do AFTER a ledgehop.
You're an idiot of the first degree sir, ledghop was used as a verb, and you can ledgehop both uair and nair.

Also quit being a douche on the Roy boards.

As far as aerials go, Fair is best, followed by Uair and Nair, Bair is a good poke but laggy, and Dair should probably just not be used. SHFFL or at least wait until you're about to land to do the aerial, and also CC owns you if you spam it, also shieldgrabbing owns you too. Follow up with grab and dtilt when you can and Dashdance out if you don't think it'll hit.

Roy is only slower by a few frames in the air than Marth, but much laggier and his aerials don't combo nearly as well, nor can he juggle like Marth.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Manacloud made a valid and rational point. Hank McCoy you seem to post quickly without considering the image you're creating for yourself in attacking the people discussing with you.
Anyway, Roys airs aren't bad at all. They are indeed far from being anything like Marths in terms of air combat, but you have to realise that isn't what they're meant for. Roys air game all leads into Roy ebing able to continue the attack on the stage. Marths game does a lot of this too, but not so well as Roy. Consider the fact that as a spike to kill Roys dair is pretty meaningless. However as a low altitude attack meant to send the opponent down to the floor for something like a fsmash or forb it's much better suited. The fact it hits from close to Roys body without needing to space above them means it works well shuffld if the opponent is being bounced where Marths wont, and is better suited to grounded opponents, or mid-air combat.
As for shuffl game being faster with Roy - it is true. Roys fast fall is a great deal faster than most other characters. Also, his sh is very low and not floaty. If you can't pick up on this then it's unlikely you've mastered shuffling to being with, so I'd suggest some practise.'

Rebel581. I disagree that Roy has no strong matchups. Against the top tier characters Roy will do well against all of them if played at a level high enough. A lot of people will disagree with me, but that is because many people havent really been lucky enough to either play or play against a good Roy. This again brings what Manacloud said to mind. Before Ken Marth was a much less respected characer. Same for Climbers before Chu....and this isn't an uncommon thing. You'd do well to know Roy can do things like kill a space animal in three attacks, or Jigglypuff in one on most of the 'neutral' stages. Apart from this, at the lower end of the scale Roy will destroy many of the characters there as aswell.

Dory..?

Smash Apprentice
LOl.

the stupidity on the roy boards is AMAZING, its like a black hole of intellect
Well if its such stupidity then why are you posting in here in th first place, people can have their own opnion, its not stupid, your just one of those arrogant ***holes who thinks because there good there the best, plain and simple you just shouldnt play the game if someone asks a simple question and you rip them a new one for no reason............

enough said.....:chuckle:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
roy gets owned by CCC harder than almost every character in the game, his aerials suck, and yes, his aerials can be performed faster than marth only because of his falling speed acceleration, he gets to the ground so much faster than marth, otehr than that...he sucks

A-Laon

Smash Master
Wow, I come back and revisit the good 'ol Roy boards, and now not only do we have idiots talking ****, we have competent players talking **** too!

<3 Roy Boards

Top Bottom