• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's with all the spammers on online mode?

Hong

The Strongest
Thread merged into the other thread about spammers.
So making 2 threads about the same thing is spam even though 1 thread is about specific characters and 1 is about For Glory Mode....And I thought spam was doing the same thing over and over even though I clearly didn't do that
One was about the spam of specific characters anonymously without specifying any instance. Unless you wanted to complain about this occurence in local play (and in that event the thread was created on the wrong forum), it is falling within the purview of a thread which encapsulates spam as a whole. It's an apple in a fruit basket.

You can contest actions of the moderator via conversation or forum support. Derailing the thread only serves to exist as spam.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If spamming was really a big deal that's what every tournament would look like, so the answer is:

less

more

Get better at avoiding it and getting in, it's possible.

And if it's the lag throwing you off and not allowing you to get around spam, get better net. The online is pretty good if you have a decent connection. You will always run into that one dbag who is trying to play with a toaster modem, cant be helped.

Hong

The Strongest
The effectiveness of spam is almost always inversely proportional to your ability to adapt. Typically some form of predictable behaviour or greediness to allow yourself to be subject to a repetitive attack or strategy.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I don't hate it because they don't win. They just make themselves 200% more predictable.

Connection is a factor of course, but in general it'll just make matters worse for them.
EXACTLY!

Please git gud, that's all there is to it, or stay mad and bad.

(Also by the way you can me are gonna play when I get Smash Wii U. <3)

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
How is spam hate a thing? It can only be a malfunction.

As long as your opponent isn't actively fleeing for the entire 6 minutes with no hope of victory, he's not doing anything wrong. I will spam you mercilessly or I will have to approach, and that's the game. Enjoy the game, enjoy another game, or be frustrated in perpetuity...

Spam is not an insult to your intelligence. Quite the contrary, it is an opportunity to apply a bit of problem-solving. With relatively little mindgames, it is basically you versus a preprogrammed algorithm with minor variations. If/when you solve it, you either get a great match or an easy win (win-win!) ...assuming your opponent isn't miserable over spam hate or some other nonsense.

EDIT: Spam-or-approach isn't so much "the game" as it is "the first game," which, depending on the opponent, may evaporate in a matter of seconds!

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
As a Mega Man player, hear me out.

I have, approximately, 40% projectiles, 20% midrange gap closers, and 40% unbelievably unsafe attacks. I start each fight the same way, metal blade -> crash bomb -> metal blade -> crash bomb, with some steps forward in between. The point of this is to hopefully keep them shielding long enough for me to get into the center stage where I can use my moves that work out for me. If I notice, during that zone control phase, that my opponent has eaten all of my attacks without avoiding them, I will throw another volley to make sure. If they still have trouble dealing, I will continue to use the course of action that leaves me the most safe, which, in this case, is blades and bombs. If my opponent, for example, catches my blade and shields my crash bomb, I'm out of spam mode, and go into my zone defense with dtilts and lemons, with back airs for spacing to keep you out. This is the way Mega Man plays.

I will not be using my smashes, down air, forward air, dash attack, down special, or uptilt on anything other than a pure punish, because those moves would get me killed if I ever tried to use them. This leaves me with jab and ftilt (projectiles), neutral and forward special (projectiles), nair and uair (projectiles), up special (escape), with grabs, dtilt, and bair as my only non-projectile reliable moves. I've had salty SDs and people switching to Palutena or Falco to deal with that, and I've still done fine. The problem is, people don't seem to know the difference between spamming and zoning. I know full well that you could come at me with a dash shield grab, and I am prepared to stop hucking blades and spotdodge as soon as that comes out, then punish with a utilt, probably for the KO.

If you faced me, you'd probably call me a "spammer" and say "no matter what I do I can't get in", to which I say that's the entire freaking point. If I can do a strategy that makes you uncomfortable and restricts options without limiting my own, that's what I do. I am fully capable of doing more than tossing saws all day, but against a lot of people, they never give me the opportunity to stop. I'm not dishonorable. If I see my opponent taunt, I will taunt as well. If a sudden lag spike causes my opponent to fail an easy recovery, I'll toss myself off as well. If I get the chance to save an opponent falling from a badly placed Falcon side-b, I'll toss a lemon at them to give them back their jump. I am playing a zoner, and I will zone goddammit. If you can't deal with that, then that means I'm improving. It's not unbeatable, I've had my robotic ass handed to me way more than I've shut someone out completely. I've been beaten out of my zone defense by Robins, Ganons, and Bowsers, and I have totally shut down all options of Links, Samuses, and Lucarios. It's not about the matchup, it's about the mindgames.

tl;dr: No Johns. My strategy is just as legitimate as yours.

Dracul_G_Belmont

Smash Rookie
NNID
R.Leonhart
In most cases spam is not really spam but sometimes it is and in most cases is easily countered and the reason why that is is because spam by nature means its something your opponent keeps doing over and over agaib and if they keep doing the samething that means you should be able to counter them as there tactics are now predictable.

link2702

Smash Champion
are you losing to said spammers? then its your own fault as actual spammers are easy to predict.
Are you sure you're not confusing spam with people just intelligently using their characters best option(s) in a given situation?(such as, if a character has an extremely strong projectile game that forces you to come to them, such as link or toon link, and they're using it in such a way so as to make it a pain for you to come to them, and force you into a position that makes you easier to punish when you do finally get in.)
Define "fun" Actually, i'll save you the trouble on this one. Fun is subjective, and different for everyone. Just because you're not having "fun" getting beat by someone camping or spamming, doesn't mean the other player isn't having a blast winning.

If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen, that's what for fun mode is for. For glory was pretty much made with playing to win in mind. This means you use the best tactics possible with your character, regardless of how "annoying" it might be for your opponent to deal with.

Grapheno

Smash Rookie
Try using characters with reflectors (e.g. Mario, Palutena, R.O.B, Fox, Pit) to reflect the projectiles the spammer keeps using. I've done this before and it worked.

MoHarp

Smashin' Bass Guitars
NNID
MoHarp
Switch FC
SW 3796 8060 8415
Fight fire with fire man... Whatever you gotta do...

Kyris_Crass

Smash Rookie
I can counter spam against a player in real life easily. But online? That's when it becomes a problem. Perfect shielding, teching a landing, timing dodges, reflecting attacks - it all becomes incredibly difficult in matches with any degree of input delay. There are times I swear on my life I shielded perfectly, or hit Down B at just the right time, or initiated a roll, but it just didn't make it through in time. The lag and poor matchmaking actively rewards spammy tactics and makes those types of players so much harder to deal with than they would be in real life. I try to get around it by inputting things a bit early, but then I do things too early and make myself easy to punish.

I should note, I have a 100 megabit internet connection, I'm using a LAN adapter, my ping to the other side of the country is only 50 ms, and yet I still get too many frames of input delay to time anything right in most FG matches. It's unbelievably frustrating to know you could stomp a person but didn't because of some weird timing issues.

Last edited:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I can counter spam against a player in real life easily. But online? That's when it becomes a problem. Perfect shielding, teching a landing, timing dodges, reflecting attacks - it all becomes incredibly difficult in matches with any degree of input delay. There are times I swear on my life I shielded perfectly, or hit Down B at just the right time, or initiated a roll, but it just didn't make it through in time. The lag and poor matchmaking actively rewards spammy tactics and makes those types of players so much harder to deal with than they would be in real life. I try to get around it by inputting things a bit early, but then I do things too early and make myself easy to punish.

I should note, I have a 100 megabit internet connection, I'm using a LAN adapter, my ping to the other side of the country is only 50 ms, and yet I still get too many frames of input delay to time anything right in most FG matches. It's unbelievably frustrating to know you could stomp a person but didn't because of some weird timing issues.
Just imagine online play with no lag...i can almost picture it...it's so beautiful...

TaylorSwiftVEVO

Smash Rookie
So done with online mode. i just had a little mac spam jab all game and finished me off with his dash attack

i gave online mode one last chance. i said if i get another spammer im done. Guess what i got? A ****ing lucario spammer. i swear go **** yourselves spammers
That Little Mac might have been me trying to imitate ORAORAORA

Last edited:

CodeX-

Smash Rookie
Normally it's easier to handle spammers than people who aren't spammers becuz u know what they are gonna do so find a way around it people who aren't spammers are gonna most likely use combos or other methods of winning so it's like a mind reading power when it comes to spammers

Top Bottom