• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats the proper way to EV train with the Macho Brace?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I have been EV training my pokemon I'll use for competition. They all have pokerus and when they are about to level up I equip a macho brace on it. Here is the question. Do I keep the Macho Brace on the pokemon the whole time while Im leveling it up? Or is it ok to equip macho brace when they are almost the next level? And then take it off and put on "Leftovers" or some other item, until its close to reaching the next time, put on Macho Brace, repeat, etc.

So do your pokemon gain EV's only from leveling up? Or do EV's add up before a pokemon levels up?

Im also planning on getting an AR soon, so I can EV train much more efficiently, instead of getting random wild pokemon. I can get +3 extra ATTACK EV's from fighting wild Rhyperiors. And so on.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
No, you're gonna want to put the Macho Brace on the Pokemon at all times. The Macho Brace works NOT only when they level up, but EVERY TIME they fight another pokemon.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
No, you're gonna want to put the Macho Brace on the Pokemon at all times. The Macho Brace works NOT only when they level up, but EVERY TIME they fight another pokemon.
Wow! Nintendo doesnt make it easy for us to EV train. Im getting an AR to combat that problem. lol. ;)

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Another thing Im confused about...
The lower the level pokemon you fight, the more EV points you will rack up? Example. If the wild pokemon is a high level, your pokemon will level up more quickly. Since it levels up more quickly it wont rack up as much EV points as a low level pokemon?

Help me to understand? Very confused *_*

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Double posting FTL.

A level 1 Ghastly gives the same amount of EVs as a level 100 Ghastly. The thing is you won't notice as much of increase because you fought less pokemon to level up. Less pokemon equals less EVs.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Another thing Im confused about...
The lower the level pokemon you fight, the more EV points you will rack up? Example. If the wild pokemon is a high level, your pokemon will level up more quickly. Since it levels up more quickly it wont rack up as much EV points as a low level pokemon?

Help me to understand? Very confused *_*
Technically yes. But you'll probably get to even 252 in a stat's EV before level 100.

But keep evos in mind. Higher evo Pokes give more EVs, but also more exp.
Example: Starly can give BARELY any exp at lv 2, but gives only 1 EV in spd. Staravia, on the other hand, gives more exp, but also gives 2 spd EVs.

titus

Smash Journeyman
well it doesnt really matter what the level of the pokemon youre training against is because you will not reach lvl 100 before you get all 510 EV's. in other words the end result is the same, so dont worry. :)

for the record i was typing this before Wii4Mii 99 posted. so i didnt read his post and repeat it purposely.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
The majority of my team are around level 65. They gained from the pokerus bonus, and I made a mistake with using the macho brace, I equipped it only when they were about to level up. Do you guys think they will get all their EV's by level 100? I plan to use my AR to EV Train. Example: fight wild wigglytuff= +3 HP. Rhyperior = 3 attack. Golem = 3 Def. Ninjask= 3 speed. Milotic = 3 Spcl Def. Alakazam = 3 spcl Atk. Plus using the Macho Brace in the right way from now. Plus, I already have the pokerus bonus on them.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Say you're in a battle against a Rhyperior, which gives 3 EVs in attack. When the Rhyperior is defeated, every Pokemon that got exp from the battle would get 3 attack EVs. This also counts for Exp. Share. However, for example, if you want a weaker Poke to get exp from a stronger wild Poke, and it has Macho Brace + Pokerus, instead of putting exp share on a poke and letting a stronger poke take care of the wild poke so it'd get # EVs, make the weaker have MB and pokerus, and put it in the front, so it'll come out first. Then do the old switch 'n' sweep. The weaker will get 3 EVs or whatever, and MB and pokerus will each double it so the weaker instead gets 12. (I think)

Hope this helps. :)

H@wK

Smash Ace
San Juan P.R. PKMN D/P FC - 4940 2077 9502
Try to use MB+Pokerus. Have in mind PKRS will wore off after some time, but you can store a Poke with PKRS in a box so you don't lose the virus.

Also, battling a Wild Starly will give you 1 EV pt (4 with MB+PKRS), and the results will be the same as battling a Wild Fearow (the give 2 pts each/8 with MB+PKRS). In the end the result will be the same: 252 EV in a stat or whatever.

Oh, also I think if you're at level 100, that doesn't stop you from EV training. There are certain berries that get rid of EV pts. So don't worry.

*Correct me if Im wrong*

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Oh, also I think if you're at level 100, that doesn't stop you from EV training. There are certain berries that get rid of EV pts. So don't worry.

*Correct me if Im wrong*
Its more worth it to use the berry before lvl 100. So they can gain the EV points you took away with the berry in another stat. I also heard of some Macho Braces you can win in battle tower. That are specific to each stat. I forget the name of them though. But there are 6 macho braces for each stat if you wanna raise that stat the most. Im going to try to get my AR today. :)

drcossack

Smash Ace
EV's don't go up in battle if the Pokemon is level 100; if they're that high, the only way to get EV's is to give Vitamins.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
By the time they have 100 EV points racked up. They cannot use vitamins anymore. So its best to give them vitamins right away, or wait til they fully evolve and give them vitamins. Unless they evolve at a high level (Ex. Dragonite at lvl 55.) Then you would probably wanna give Dragonair the vitamins since I believe the evolved pokemon attain better stats the sooner they evolve.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Its more worth it to use the berry before lvl 100. So they can gain the EV points you took away with the berry in another stat. I also heard of some Macho Braces you can win in battle tower. That are specific to each stat. I forget the name of them though. But there are 6 macho braces for each stat if you wanna raise that stat the most. Im going to try to get my AR today. :)
It has to be noted that those items are called the Power Items. They give you 4 EV in a certain stat when gaining experience., no matter which Pokemon you fight. The original EV(s) you would get are still included with the prize also =)

Be aware that Pokerus ALSO effects the EV you gain from those Power Items, meaning they will give you 8 EV after each time you get experience. Say, you're up against a Magikarp. A normal Magikarp gives you 1 EV point in SPEED when you defeat it. Equip you Pokémon with the Speed Power Item (don't know the real name) and it gets 5 EV for every Magikarp. Give it Pokerus as well and your Poke will get 10 EV for each Magikarp (note the huge difference between 1 and 10). The normal EV you get (1) and the Power item EV (4) have both been doubled.

At the same time, a Pokemon like Graveler who gives you 2 EV in Defense will give you 4 with Pokerus and 12 with Pokerus and the Defense Power Item ( (2 x 2) + (4 x 2) = 12, go figure).

Power Items also give away a better way of EV training, not just the ridiculous EV boosts. As I have told you before, a Power Item gives you 4 (or 8 with Pokerus) EV in a certain stat, NO MATTER WHICH kind of Pokemon you defeat. So say you wat to train your Pokemon in both Attack and Sp Atk, you could equip your Pokemon with the Attack Power Item, and defeat monsters that give you Sp Atk, like Haunter. With Pokerus, that would give you 8 Attack EV and 4 Sp Atk EV at the same time, opening up a good way to train multiple stats at once.

This whole process with Macho Brace works exactly the same as the above, except that Macho Brace double the EV you RECIEVE FROM THE DEFEATED POKEMON, unlike the Power Items that give let you recieve EV from the item itself. Looking at this, there's not really a use for Macho Brace anymore, I think, as training with the Power Items is waaaayyy faster.

Simply put, EV training has never been so easy before, so make use of that.

About lvl 100 Pokemon: how are you planning to Re-EV train a lvl 100 Pokemon who CAN'T GET ANY MORE EXPERIENCE. EV comes with experience, you should know by now ;p

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Wow, that was a huge wealth of knowledge! Thanks NGCXX!
I'll have to try getting those "Power Items" from battletower. Even though I have my AR, I could probably get some that way, although Im still trying to figure out how my AR works since I just got it yesterday.

Top Bottom