• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what's the history of the WD

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
I'm just wondering how the smash scene was before the WD? Was Isai the top early on in Melee's life? Who discovered the WD? Did it start out as an underground thing? What was the reaction when it hit the tournament scene?

BTW, i did search the forums for the history of it, couldn't find anything.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I wavedash is simply a landslide done as soon as you jump.So it was going to be discovered fast.As for underground it wasnt at all.As soon as it was seen everyone who wanted to learned how to do it did by just wacthing.It was groundbreaking in its uses but as far as discovery it was a 4 out of 10 in difficulty.I dont know who discovered it though.

cemo

white walker
Wasn't Pimpuigi (or something like that) the one to discover it?
And I believe it wasn't heavily used for a while after that.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
Probably, considering he has an "uigi" at the end of his name. O.o In my case I had done triangle jumps on purpose before reading about it here, so I was like "oh cool who knew it could be so useful?" Although I stopped the triangle jumps after about a week... Now I'm a psycho unnecessary wavedasher.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
i think it said who created the wd in the credits of the rocket dash thread, or swd-eedesedsdfesfdfseffddsfedfseefsdfsef7:Dwawadefsd. (check samus specific)

i used to airdodge next to the ground before i got to this site, i thought it was cool to avoid attacks like that lol

Vall3y

Smash Lord
yeah i think i read that some luigi was the one to discover it
people were playing with items at that time, and air dodging was a much safer method to grabbing them , so yeah ...
i also read that it was mike g with his peach that started using it in tournaments and made it famous

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
yeah, here's the parts from that huge post that i think were related to wavedashing:

...Wavedashing was "invented" by a Luigi player (whose name sadly escapes me) from California and yes its discovery was an accident. This of course makes sense since I'm sure people had done it before on accident (I've even seen the computer do it a handful of times), but with Luigi it is by far the most noticeable. I don't remember the exact story, but I think it involved trying to quick item catch (back then California was by far the most vehement pro item tournament scene) as doing the jump into the air/dodge/catch was a safer method than standing catching, but Luigi's regular jump left him open to nasty counters thus the need for the short jumping. Again it's a bit fuzzy, but the move did catch on amazingly fast with every player trying to add it to their repertoire. Ironically the move really didn't become absolutely necessary for top level competition for months down the line.

It's hard to say exactly when the game became as completely dedicated to speed as you see it today. I would have to say that Ken is probably the largest catalyst. His "dash dancing" dramatically speed up the pace of matches. Before matches were much more measured and planned out. The best counter to "dash dancing" is spamming short jumps. Players certainly knew how to do it, but with the exception of short hopping Falco's lasers it wasn't really put to full use. I would say that Eddie was the first to feature a repertoire of almost exclusively short jumping to L canceling. This was what was so revolutionary about how he played Ganon, he could make him fast. Whether or not due to Eddie's influence, you start to see players like Azen and Ken like wise start abusing quick short jumps with characters like Fox, Sheik, and Marth. However, it was probably Isaiah that showed that every character could benefit dramatically from incorporating quick short hopping with his surprising Samus, DK, and even Kirby. It really lead to the point in which a lot of characters are played dramatically similar. I remember hearing complaints/praise of Azen that said he could play almost every character at a very high level, but he pretty much played them the same. However wavedashing still wasn't an absolutely vital tournament tool. You would occasionally see "wave dashing", but outside of people who played Luigi and to a much lesser extent Samus and Marth, it wasn't used that often. Ironically perhaps the first person to demonstrate it as a possible tournament dominating form was Mike G’s Peach. To my knowledge he was the first player to consistently use wavedashing to such a dominating effect in tournaments. From that point on you start to see people playing remarkably similar to today’s player.

As I stated earlier my memory has some gaps. For example I have next to knowledge of the European scene and how it has interacted with the American tournament scene. I’m also not particularly well informed about East Coast tournaments. Maybe you can rope one of the EC old timers in. Anyways I hope that answers some of your questions.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
It was named and popularized by Mattdeezie's crew, just like the "sex kick." None of them remember why they called it a "sex kick," but "Wavedash" comes from... some other game. Maybe one of the Street fighters, where it was a very complicated move that earned a small amount of lag reduction.

If we get Scamp in here, he would probably know more than me. But Vien was the first Luigi to really start using wavedashing, and I seem to recall JR doing it as well.

I remember Mattdeezie talking about how Isai "didn't play normal smash" back at MOAST1 (January '03), but he didn't rise to the top of the tournament scene until after Ken appeared.

pdk

Smash Lord
weren't other techniques called wavedashing also in mvc2 and one of the tekkens (4 i believe)?

Top Bottom