• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the dumbest match you've ever had?

FordonGreeman

Smash Rookie
I just had another stupid match. I was fighting two other people playing Link and Roy on Gerudo Valley in FF. Rather than fight each other, the two teamed up on me (I randomed Dr. Mario.). The Link spammed arrows at the edge of the stage and grabbed me whenever I got close to him. The Roy kept hitting me with combos while I tried to dodge the arrows, and sometimes his combos sent me towards the Link. They both KO'd me once and still didn't fight each other in SD. Either they didn't know it was a FFA, or they're friends and double team people all the time.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
They both KO'd me once and still didn't fight each other in SD. Either they didn't know it was a FFA, or they're friends and double team people all the time.
It sounds more like a Taunt Party rather than anything else, especially if you were playing in For Fun.

If you try to fight during one most, if not all will gang up on you. Sometimes others stand back and let one player handle it all but it varies at times. It's typical behavior in For Fun and has existed since Brawl. It cannot be avoided unless you avoid the mode altogether.

WeZtagonist

Smash Rookie
NNID
WeZtagonist
3DS FC
0705-3822-3641
I had a match where my opponent and I were mirror matching Ness and we just taunted for a good portion of the match and tip-toed across the stage until we went to Sudden Death and I did the b-throw.
It was dumb but still fun nonetheless.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I was:4gaw:against a:4metaknight:. First thing I hit him with? D-throw -> 9. It didn't kill, obviously, but I took his stock off with a second 9 anyway. When he respawned, of course, I immediately hit him with D-throw -> 9 again, at which point he SD'd.
RNGesus must've really hated that guy...

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I was:4gaw:against a:4metaknight:. First thing I hit him with? D-throw -> 9. It doesn't kill, obviously, but I took his stock off with a second 9 anyway. When he respawned, of course, I immediately hit him with D-throw -> 9 again, at which point he SD'd.
RNGesus must've really hated that guy...
Reminds me of this:

For a dumb match, I did a 1v1 against a :4samus: as :4littlemac:. I gimped her twice with fair.

Gimping as Mac is so fun.

Last edited:

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
I was playing Bowser for a little bit recently (not much reason behind that) and I came across a Link player. Literally all they would do is wait for me then grab when I got close. They of course lost the match, and no matter how much I tried to show them the grab was bad, they just kept doing it.

I was playing against a Bowser who all they would do is Bowsercide me. It caught me off guard at first because he didn't read the patch notes. The next few matches I decided to let him do it, hoping he would learn that it simply does not work. Ten matches later, he's still doing it, no matter how much he loses. I gave up teaching him.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
It sounds more like a Taunt Party rather than anything else, especially if you were playing in For Fun.

If you try to fight during one most, if not all will gang up on you. Sometimes others stand back and let one player handle it all but it varies at times. It's typical behavior in For Fun and has existed since Brawl. It cannot be avoided unless you avoid the mode altogether.
Unfortunately. The online community has turned into a cesspool of God-knows-what and it's best to just stop going on IMO.

To get on topic, however, THIS:

Okay, so it technically isn't me playing. Thankfully. They didn't even try to switch up their strategy.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I remember this one match I had with a Toon Link who just kept using his tether on the side of the stage and kept throwing bombs/ the Boomerang at me off stage. He never even touched the stage besides that one time at the beginning (FD By the way.)

Last edited:

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
People who actually have the patience to shoot fox laser endlessly if I don't move. I get why you would, but that's got to bore you eventually.

Furret24

Smash Master
I find it sad that I had to go through 6 people just to find someone who would actually fight my Little Mac. ;-;

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
One of my first ever online matches was a team of three taunters who after about 10 seconds decided to gang up on me even though I didn't do anything whatsoever.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
I was playing :4ganondorf: against a :4megaman:. Match starts off normal, eventually we're both down to one stock with him in the 80s and I think I was in the 30s or 40s. His fighting style changed completely, he began rolling and running away endlessly before closing in and firing lemons at me. Eventually, I caught him with a Warlock Punch, timing his lemons with the super armor. He basically walked right into it.

I think I have video of this, I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

BlackCore8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BLCore
When I was playing as Little Mac against a Ness player, he camped me out so he can gimp me. It took around four minutes until he beat me. After that I beat his behind with Meta Knight while he played Mario. The lag was real that day.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
In a 1v1 battlefield tournament, as Ike verses a Bowser, it's barely a few seconds into the match before the Bowser grabs me and takes us both over the edge. I found it a little odd to do such a move so early, it's not like he was at this super high damage and I was low or anything. But whatever. So I was expecting him to go completely ham on me for this last stock, like this was all apart of his little plan. So I was thinking about how I could be more careful in my approach this time around as I follow him to the bottom of the stage, and of course I overthink it so my jab misses as he just keeps still and proceeds to grab me, and go over the edge again.

I burst out laughing at the results screen. It's like what? lol. Why would he pull another Bowsercide on me when Bowser dies first? Unless he didn't know, but after so long that would seem a bit silly. Really the only thing he did that entire match was just grab me, he didn't do anything else so it seemed like that was his intention. I don't know feels like his name tag might as well have been 'Free Win' cause that was just weird. Quickest tournament match ever lol.

Enemy Birds

Smash Cadet
My brother and I once encounter a pair of Jigglypuffs whose tactic was to spam sing and rest until they managed to actually catch us. I don't think they won, but it seemed like some much fun that we decided to go Jigglypuff as well. The entirety of the next fight basically ended up as a bunch of Jigglypuffs sleeping each other to death.

Furret24

Smash Master
I was fighting my brother once. He claimed that the moment below (I predicted that he was going to side special onstage, so I run to the center and up smash) wasn't a read, but a punish. I don't get him sometimes.
JyqdB6.gif

Last edited:

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
I was Villager and my opponent was Little Mac. The Mac was garbage and kept spamming smash attacks and i gimped him at zero. The best part was when I was taunting and he seriously did side-b over my taunt and died for a total of a 23 second match. RIP

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I was Villager and my opponent was Little Mac. The Mac was garbage and kept spamming smash attacks and i gimped him at zero. The best part was when I was taunting and he seriously did side-b over my taunt and died for a total of a 23 second match. RIP
Gotta love Side-B Macs.

Though I honestly don't really get how so many people make that mistake. Especially repeatedly.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I faced a Pit that kept Side B-ing and Neutral B-ing. And every time I got close they just ran to the other edge.
After a struggle with annoyance I was able to beat them, but I certainly didn't feel good.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
A Kirby successfully attempted the "Kirbycide" on me...on his last stock. I don't remember who I was though. :laugh:

I don't remember if I saved a replay of it. Even if I did, then it's gone now because this happened before the YouTube uploader feature came out.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

I don't even know what to say...

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Once in a while I sandbag with Meta Knight and really get away with down smash and side smash spam. It's so bad. Then, gimping with nair makes them even more salty...

I'm also one of the few Ganons online that can and will successfully down b spike you offstage yolo for the disrespect. It's traumatized so many people. Even worse when I can get an offstage aerial warlock punch read on them. I really wish that more Ganons will start going for down b suicidal Shadow Realm spikes and offstage warlock punches. More disrespectful than a dair.

Also, they survived your spike but can't recover? Go back down anyways and do it again.

Idk, it's always a must for me to go down and spike people if they SD'd and are going to die anyway.

Unfortunately, all of my down b spike replays and offstage warlock punches are gone thanks to patches and my laziness to record them. I've retired from Ganon for now, so I don't really have any videos to share.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
On the 3DS version, while I was playing as Falco, I fought a Mega Man user who didn't seem to know what he was doing as he was trying too hard with smash attacks, specifically his Charge Shot (forward smash). I reflected his semi charged forward smash on his last stock to cut the match short.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I've had multiple dumb matches.

One of them was when I was playing this Pit on FG with Roy. The match was normal as always, a clean and fair fight. I ended up taking his first stock with a forward tilt. After that, I just slowly started walking forward.

Then he killed himself. I am still confused on why he did that. It's probably because of me walking that way, but, as we all know, Roy is best character 2k15 voted 1# in the game. He kills people by walking forward. He's just that good.

I've had other ones, so here are those. Hm.

(they only consist of me playing falcon and styling on people sooooooooo)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just now on the 3DS version, I was paired up with a Wii Fit Trainer who just loves to **** around off stages throwing **** at me. Fortunately, I still managed to beat him when he somehow went off the recovery range and fell to his death.

Top Bottom