• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the dumbest match you've ever had?

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I'm not talking about winning/losing to mistakes or anything like that, just those matches that you thought were absolutely pathetic.

For example, I was playing against possibly the most cowardly Link I've ever seen. So, I decided to pick Fox just to humor him for a bit. What resulted multiple times was both of us at each end of the stage, him with his bow out, me with my reflector up. Each time it happened we stood there for a solid minute and a half and the match carried on like that until the time ran out.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
When you go to into a room, and its just 3 other people repeatedly crouching next to each other and walking into each other for 2 minutes

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just yesterday I fought a Ness that just kept jumping around and using PK thunder on himself. There wasn't lag, he wasn't trying to SD to end the match, and he didn't even try to hit me: he just randomly flailed around for about two minutes.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
One the 3DS version, I once fought a Bowser playing as Rosalina when all he did was run back and forth to the edge of the stage and use Flame Breath throughout the match. Basically, he had no idea what he was doing so after I beat him, I left the room to save himself the trouble and looked for someone else to play with.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
On 3ds I encountered a Rosalina that just....spammed up B. It was so weird. I didn't try to fight, so the match went to sudden death. Right when it started he upB'ed off the stage, SDing.

BETTER THAN DABUZ:rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina:

Furret24

Smash Master
There this one FG match once with me (playing as:4gaw:) and a Jigglypuff. She got to a high percent, but I ended up 2-stocking her because she sacked so badly at landing rest.

Is it really THAT hard to land just ONE rest?!

Last edited:

Chadmander

Smash Cadet
I played a for glory match against a :4gaw: that would only run away,roll, shield, air dodge and up b.
I was :4samus: so landing hits was pretty tough.
I managed to take a stock off him before time ran out. I left immediately.
Such a waste of precious time.

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Roy vs Roy counter version of happy slaps with terrible lag.
Basically we charge the neutral B and try to counter when we think the blow will come.

Because of the lag, the input of letting go is delayed so even if you screw up the first counter you might be fast enough to use another before the input of the B special being released is registered.

IxaVerse

Smash Rookie
I had this match with a Yoshi that just stayed at the edge of the stage and neutral B whenever I came near him. I just gave up with the lag not allowing me to punish.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Here's another one here. First time I've seen a Little Mac spamming Straight Lunges throughout the match. It's a disgrace to see one of my mains being used like this.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've actually had several "Dumb Matches" so it's hard to pin point which one is the dumbest... Let's see...
  • I once had a match (Kirby Vs Fox) where the Fox player repeatedly tried to laser me, even when crouching. That's basically just about what the whole match consisted of. He tried doing it, I crouched. He stopped and tried to bait me only to do it again, and of course I crouched to avoid them. I honestly do not know what his thought process was exactly...

• This actually happened recently in a 2V2 For Fun match with a friend of mine. The two we were against lost two matches with us, then immediately decided to go Double Ness. Yup, you know where this is going. Nothing but Pk Fire spam mixed with the tiniest bit of PK Thunder spam, but 80% of it was PK Fire. There's desperate, and then there's just plain stupid. We won +6 to -6. They decided to stay after that and tried Double Ness Spam again. I guess they didn't learn.

• I once went against a guy who only got more and more campy/passive the more matches he lost. Eventually he went Palutena and did nothing but dodge and teleport the entire time. That's literally it. It was like he was trying to stall for the whole 5 minutes. Once I finally took a stock off of him he then tried to play aggressively, which didn't work well. At around 49% damage he immediately dodges to the edge, jumps off, and teleports down to SD. He left after that. Rage much?

• Another recent one that took place in 2V2 For Glory. Me and my friend went up against these guys who lost two or three matches in a row, and decided it was a good idea to switch to counter characters, and do nothing but counter the entire time. That's literally all they tried to do with little attacks here and there. I basically grab spammed the entire time cause they just wouldn't stop trying to do it, nor would they learn. They weren't bad players to begin with, so why get so desperate all of the sudden? My friend didn't even bother to help me cause of it, which shows how well their countering worked for them.

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
Well, I was playing Falco against a Captain Falcon. So, what happens is that he grabs me, releases, and I fumble my recovery and die since it was a laggy mess. The Falcon then taunts (unsurprisingly), then did an aerial Falcon Kick to his death. Funniest thing that has happened to me on For Glory.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I get these a lot,
HYPER DEFENSIVE NESS's

its a complete waste of potential and you cant Psi Magnet a missile. A campy Ness is a terrible idea and really a waste of Ness' good tools.

But this had me laughing,
just why?

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
Over the summer, I played as Princess Peach up against a Dark Pit in FG single who didn't know which button to recover...

Twice.

The match only lasted for 30 secs. I left afterwards knowing that the guy probably just hopped online without at least knowing the basic mechanics of his character.

EDIT:

I also want to add. Um, this Ness kind of made me feel a bit self-conscious when he SD the way he did. And he was in no hurry too....

I'll admit. I had drank some coffee before I played...

Last edited:

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158

Hands down my dumbest match ever. Happened last night too.

Last edited:

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
Oh, wait a minute! This happened last Saturday. Right after I countered, this Little Mac got a bit salty and did everything in his power to KO me. I'm not a big fan of spam-roll, but it was necessary for something like what you'll see (or just seen) in this video.

If you ask me, that was my first time fighting your typical For Glory Macs. All other Macs I've fought had a lot more sense than this. I only stayed one round. I don't like fighting salty players especially on the first meet-up.

...Yeah, I taunted. He deserved it. ;/

Last edited:

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
1: When I was Little Mac, and the opponent was Sonic. I was a stock ahead, and then they decided to run away and time me out. I let them, and won because I was a stock ahead.
2: I was playing Falco against a Pac-Man (back when the trampoline could send people through the stage), and all he would do is run away and try to trigger the glitch.
3: I was playing Shulk against a Doc, and they decided it would be a good idea to camp the ledge and spam pills. I waited to see if he would stop, but he wouldn't. So I just jumped over the pills, hit him with a single forward air, and watched as he made no attempt of recovery.

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
Literally happened today on the 3ds, playing as Wario and facing off against an Ike that only used his specials. Primarily his side-b, going back and forth across the stage constantly until time ran out. I would've been absolutely livid if I hadn't won the sudden death.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There was this Yoshi who literally did nothing but spam Egg Throw, then run away or jump over me whenever I got close. It sucked because I was playing Dedede and had trouble chasing him... that sure is the benefit of your main having the worst air speed in the game. Thankfully I two-stocked him, but good lord it was such an annoying match.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Oh hey, I have returned with some more silly goodies involving some of my For glory Experiences lately.
  • This happened a week ago within 2V2 For Glory while playing with a friend. Basically, one of our opponents chose to be Ganondorf and do nothing but stand by the edge in hopes of using Ganoncide. This isn't an exaggeration either. He refused to come help his friend so it basically resulted in a 2V1 fight at that point. He wouldn't leave the edge and even attempted to taunt as well as tea-bag in hopes of baiting us. When we started to approach he'd jump off and try it, even if we were no where near him.

Like, was he a new player or thought we were stupid? I don't know, but it was ridiculous either way.

• This happened tonight actually, and honestly I feel kind of bad for doing such a thing to these guys, but I guess one won't learn if they aren't shown a little tough love sometimes. Anyways, it was another 2V2 where we faced a Bowser Duo who literally did nothing but attempt Bowsercide. Here is where it gets really funny/ridiculous though. They would attempt it with zero damage, thus they would get a -2 for it instead of a -1. So do you know what my friend and I did? Go on, guess..!

Yup! We basically allowed them to hit us once, and allowed them to Bowsercide us constantly. We were in the lead no matter what. Sad thing is, these guys taunted like crazy at the last 5 seconds thinking they won. The score was pretty much -5 or -6 to their -11 or -12. I really do feel like these guys had to of been pretty young if they kept thinking it was working.

• This one is pretty short, and I will openly admit it is my favorite thing to do when others allow me to do it. When playing as Villager, I went against a Dr. Mario who would reflect my tree back every time, no matter how many times I proved to him I could pocket it. At one point I even kept missing the tree (embarrassing I know) but he just kept using that cape. Oh well. I love my little pocket trees so I'm not complaining, but why do people not learn their lessons the first time? Stop it. It's not working. (But please keep trying)

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
This guy was roll spamming so hard, I copied him and spammed rolls in sync with him, and it turned into 2 minutes of just rolling dancing around with literally no attacks being thrown.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Yesterday I was fighting a Villager that kept changing his name to "HOT-POCKET" and would kill himself whenever I wasn't Villager. It took me a while but I finally figured out that he just wanted to play hot pocket via Villager's tree. We do one match then the one after that was just him randomly hitting me with an umbrella. I fought him regularly while he just did umbrella/jab and then he left.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I've had 2 matches so far against Kirby players that sat at the ledge and held B the WHOLE game. They just kept going back to the ledge and continued doing it over and over no matter what I did. As a result, I just let them sit there the whole game cause I knew the game would boot them for idling.

Another match would be this Yoshi I fought like a week or 2 ago and he played VERY lame. He literally avoided me the whole game, just rolling to the other side of the stage, jumping all over the place, and teabagging to make me come over and chase him the whole game. He just spammed eggs and smash attacks the whole time, but I thankfully won. Afterwards, he changed his name to "MEH" and I pretty much left at that point cause I knew he was gonna start being toxic and what he did the whole match was just annoying anyways.

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
A couple of months ago I fell victim to the trampoline glitcha while back when I was playing FG. I can still feel the amount of salt that I had piled up that day........it wasn't pretty at all.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman

I had a really ****ty day before this match, so this cheered me up immensely.

D

Deleted member

I had a really ****ty day before this match, so this cheered me up immensely.
I'm cackling at the fact he fell for Doc's up tilt every time until you killed him with an up smash. That's beautiful stuff right there, does he not know how to move left or right?

This gave a Dedede main like me a conniption, lmao. No wonder people see him as a joke on FG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Today, I got fed up with an Ike player's as Roy(Koops)... They were totally predictable and kept spamming side-b, so I grabbed them each time they did, trying to condition them into not sucking so bad as him, and I didn't get KOd. I killed them twice by pummeling them near the edge and watching them just fall to their death after the grab escape (With no lag!). You can't make it up.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
While playing as :4greninja: , I recently played against a Mario and I took his first stock while taking maybe 30% damage. He was very predictable and I punished all of his mistakes while spacing with Water Shuriken.

Half way into his second stock, he proceeded to run away and time out the match which was super annoying T_T. SO the matched timed out and he immediately started to ledge camp, once he grabbed the ledge twice I threw a Water Shuriken and I won the match... I immediately left and moved on play against someone else... I hope I never have to experience that anytime soon...

SmashingTheo

Smash Rookie
Decided to play a bit of :4ganondorf:.

I was playing this :4feroy: and I immediately Ganon-cided with him.

Next stock, I catch him jumping with ANOTHER GANON-CIDE.

I was sitting there after that contemplating life.

Oh, and I took NO DAMAGE THE ENTIRE GAME.

Last edited:

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I was playing as :4gaw: against a scrubby :4ness:.

After a few seconds, I land the lingering hitbox of 9 on the Ness.

A few seconds later, I bucket a fully charged PK Flash, which I release about 5 seconds later.

This all happened in about 35 seconds.

SM980

Smash Rookie

In which I win by moving as little as possible. This was a real great Bowser

Bonkumiru

Smash Rookie
I was playing as Kirby against a campy Mega Man on Battlefield. All he did was camp under the platforms so he could use his aerial tornado thing under me. Little did he know, he was playing with a player (me) who has been using Kirby on SSBB since 2008. Long story short, I Kirbycided for lolz and used his last stock.

Furret24

Smash Master
I was playing as Kirby against a campy Mega Man on Battlefield. All he did was camp under the platforms so he could use his aerial tornado thing under me. Little did he know, he was playing with a player (me) who has been using Kirby on SSBB since 2008. Long story short, I Kirbycided for lolz and used his last stock.
I don't see what using a character for a long time has to do with. I've been playing G&W since 2009 and I still suck as him (and Smash in general).

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, it's fighting FG Little Macs, especially when you main Mac and can tell exactly what they'll be trying to do; run, dodge, dash attack, FSmash, rinse and repeat untill they get a KO Punch, which they try to do the second they see one chance. All of them are dumb matches because of that.

HIMA14

Smash Rookie
NNID
HIMA14BITS
It was just 3 months since I found this Lucas that was so pathethic,the player I faced was one of the several people who doesn't train with a new character before fighting online,the Lucas was using Psi Magnet barely the whole time waiting for me (Megaman) to do an Energy attack,and when I kicked him out of the stage he doesn't even knew how to recover with Lucas...the match ended in less than 1 minute

Top Bottom