• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the difference

bdance23

Smash Cadet
K I have searched this board for like 10 mins @ least trying to find the difference between sonic's side b and down b in English and not the acronyms.

Can somebody plz do me a favour and tell me what are the main differences between down and side b?:embarrass

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol ^^;

ACRONYMS
This is probably going to be the hardest thing to understand in this whole ordeal. The letters.
SD = Spin Dash (Hop) (Side-B)
SC = Spin Dash (Charge) (Down-B)
SDR = Spin Dash Roll (this is common to both SD and SC)
SDJ = Spin Dash Jump (jump attack that can be done out of a SDR)
ASC = Aerial Spin Charge (air Down-B)
Note: If a SDR goes to the edge of a platform, it becomes an ASC and assumes its properties. Hence a SD can become an ASC, but only after touching the ground.
I will now use the principle of substitution...
I bolded all the things that were acronyms, and substituted for their extended versions.

Bold: Important thing.
Underlines: Defining/unique features
Italics: Is related to interaction between 'phase changes', or when they flow into other moves.

Spin Dash (Hop) (Side-B): (Creates charge data)
- 5-6% constant damage
- Charged by holding B.
- Grounded charge can be cancelled by shield as long as it's not fully charged.
- Has high priority and/or invincibility/dodge frames at the beginning of the hop
- Easier to do spinshot out of this move's charge, either from ground or air, due to the hop.
- Has a temporary attack hitbox that goes away after you go under your starting height
- Has higher air speed than normal jumps.

- Knocks the opponent slightly upwards.
- If you have remaining jumps, can be jump cancelled, allowing you to follow-up with aerials
- Turns into Spin Dash Roll upon contact with ground
- Cannot be cancelled by shield on landing.
- Passes charge and 'remaining jumps' data to the Spin Dash Roll that follows.

Aerial Spin Charge (air Down-B) : (Creates charge data)
- Charged by tapping the B button multiple times (3 times for full damage, 5 for full speed in the Spin Dash Roll)
- Has a multiple hit combo:
- - First hit: 7-11 damage (damage based on velocity - hold forward for maximum damage)
- - - High knockback that can KO at higher %'s (170-180%+ on grounded opponents)
- - Follow-up hit(s): 7-10 damage (don't know what changes it)
- - - Lower knockback similar to side-B's knockback.
- Has higher air speed than normal jumps.
- If you have remaining jumps, can be jump cancelled, allowing you to follow-up with aerials
- Turns into a Spin Dash Roll on contact with ground
- Can be cancelled by shield on landing.
- Passes charge and 'remaining jumps' data to the SDR that follows.

So if that made any sense, I think the Spin Dash Roll and Spin Dash Jump are treated as separate moves that take in charge / 'remaining jump' data from the Side-B or Down-B. Side B's "true form" can really just be the hop, and Down-B's "true form" is the aerial version; The rolling attack is just tacked on to both moves. A grounded Down-B is already on the floor (duh), so it goes straight into the rolling attack.
...does that.. help? lol

----------------------
[edit/reply]:
You're welcome XD
I had a feeling that something like this would happen. I didn't want to type out everything all the time so I just went with the acronyms. Besides, spin dash or spin dash jump? which one am I talking about? Having SDJ and SD is easier to put down since the letters are grouped together instead of with spaces.

if you have MS Word, do this:
1) copy and paste the whole thing to MS Word
2) Use Find and Replace, and use it to find/replace each acronym with its extended version. (Find: SDR| Replace With: Spin Dash Roll > Replace All). Just make sure to change SD and SC last, since they've got less letters

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Lock this.... there are threads and posts everywhere answering this question.

Top Bottom