• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats the best way to train?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
yeah, but what about regular a on the ground? isnt it difficult to switch modes quickly?
How do you use c-stick regularly? You'd have to switch to do a smash attack with c-stick on the ground. You don't have to use c-stick for all aerials if you don't want to, it's only necessary for, say doing a forwards bair since you can choose your attack with c-stick and direction with directional stick.

poega

Smash Apprentice
just throw down your thumb quickly, the more u practice it the faster it will be.

Nujabes

Smash Apprentice
How do you use c-stick regularly? You'd have to switch to do a smash attack with c-stick on the ground. You don't have to use c-stick for all aerials if you don't want to, it's only necessary for, say doing a forwards bair since you can choose your attack with c-stick and direction with directional stick.
Are you asking physically how you use it? or when should you use it?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Are you asking physically how you use it? or when should you use it?
I'm asking him how he does. I wasn't sure if I misunderstood him, I believe he asked how a person goes from the a button to the c-stick in the air, to which I replied the same way you do on the ground. Except I tried to not sound like a **** in case he really didn't know or I misunderstood.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
well take any pro for example. they use c-stick, right? if they use c-stick to do their ariels, and if they use y/x to jump, then isnt it extremely hard to press those buttons fast enough if they were playing with someone like fox? wouldnt it be better to just learn how to play claw?

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
hey whoever originally asked about the c stick,

im not saying this to insult you but

you honestly need to be able to use A and control it, and i guess the c stick too

if you cant bair without fastfalling you need to gain better control.

good luck, keep practicing.

try doing some kind of routine that "wakes up" your fingers

Grodion

Smash Cadet
i asked about the c-stick, its not that i cant bair without fastfalling, i was just asking if pros use it. i can play with regular a extremely well, and i was wondering if its worth changing the way i play to use c-stick. i guess i was just asking if i HAVE to use it. i would be perfectly fine with not using it at all

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i only use the cstick for a few things:

dsmash (hard to do one without charging without the cstick)
falling uair
non fastfall dair

thats about it, well upsmash oos and pivot fsmash but thats whatever

Grodion

Smash Cadet
hmm, is it possible to shuffle a uair without c-stick? because the game wants to double jump thanks to the idiot who programmed the control stick as a jumping utensil (no offense to people that use control stick to jump)

alcheato

Smash Ace
hmm, is it possible to shuffle a uair without c-stick? because the game wants to double jump thanks to the idiot who programmed the control stick as a jumping utensil (no offense to people that use control stick to jump)
It's definitely possible, you just need a light touch. I only use the control stick to shffl U-air in training mode so that I can see if something combos though...I always use the C-stick in actual matches just cause it's easier.

If you watch any of the hardcore Home Run Contest videos they shuffle all aerials (including U-air) without the C-stick

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Actually, short hop uairing with a is better than c stick in some scenarios. It comes out ALOT faster than the c stick. Watch shroomed play, all those uair approaches he does are uaired with a (unless hes just insanely fast at moving his fingers to the c stick).

Also, you dont have to touch lightly, if you hit jump (x/y) theres a jumping animation in which you can mash up on the control stick and it wont make u double jump. Then just hit A from there and u got a short hop uair! then course u gotta fast fall and stuff. no l cancel required though since animation ends before u hit the ground.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
Actually, short hop uairing with a is better than c stick in some scenarios. It comes out ALOT faster than the c stick. Watch shroomed play, all those uair approaches he does are uaired with a (unless hes just insanely fast at moving his fingers to the c stick).

Also, you dont have to touch lightly, if you hit jump (x/y) theres a jumping animation in which you can mash up on the control stick and it wont make u double jump. Then just hit A from there and u got a short hop uair! then course u gotta fast fall and stuff. no l cancel required though since animation ends before u hit the ground.
but if you fast fall then u will need an l cancle wont you? and i know there is a jumping animation, but that is just one frame, which is about 1/15th of a second... oh well, ill just practice with it then. thanks for the help

ye25

Smash Journeyman
nah, the uair animation will end way before you land even with the fast fall. and yah, 1/15th a second is 4 frames so plenty of time to hit up :)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
but if you fast fall then u will need an l cancle wont you? and i know there is a jumping animation, but that is just one frame, which is about 1/15th of a second... oh well, ill just practice with it then. thanks for the help
I'm pretty sure, can't exactly take my word for it, but i'm pretty sure jumping lag is like 3-8 frames(I'm thinking closer to 8) which is plenty of time to put your analog stick up without creating a second jump.

It's easier than jump canceling and jump canceling grabs isn't the hardest thing to do with a bit of practice.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
so its easier then jump cancelling? jump cancelling is pretty easy, so i guess this will be too. thx for the help. one more quesiton, how do you guys record your matches?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
capture card or camera. I have a digital camera that plugs into my tv like a capture card.

Edit: It just occurred to m that while your using your c-stick to do aerials, the z button will work the same way a does and your finger is practically on it so if your scared of losing momentum between switch from c-stick to a you always have Z

poega

Smash Apprentice
allegedly people can SHBairWD with c-stick which pretty much means u can be as fast as shroomed's shuffled uairs with it

Gea

Smash Master
Any control scheme is possible to do anything, really. It just takes practice. Claw is probably the "best" way to play the game but Doc has nothing that needs that kind of speed. Only Fox does, really.

Nujabes

Smash Apprentice
Any control scheme is possible to do anything, really. It just takes practice. Claw is probably the "best" way to play the game but Doc has nothing that needs that kind of speed. Only Fox does, really.
If i remember correctly, claw hinders ones grab game

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
No it doesn't.

And I didn't care to read this thread, but I hope the answer at the end of the day was "you have to have somebody to play this game with or you're looking at one of the most uphill battles ever."

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
capture card or camera. I have a digital camera that plugs into my tv like a capture card.

Edit: It just occurred to m that while your using your c-stick to do aerials, the z button will work the same way a does and your finger is practically on it so if your scared of losing momentum between switch from c-stick to a you always have Z
It's also nice to keep in mind Z comes out earlier than Cstick. : D Since your finger is already on it it's even quicker.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I rarely use A for any of my aerials aside from nair. All my uair approaches are with c-stick and yes I'm kind of fast switching between my jump button (which is X I'm pretty sure, I need to hold a controller to be 100% sure which is currently not in my apartment LOOOL). But I go X -> c-stick up for my uairs. And I use Z to L cancel because it takes half-ish the time to press than L or R.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hahaha I know my friend asked me if I WD with L or R and I was like... I think... R?

I had to use my controller on the screen to remember.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but the best way to train reacting to DI during chaingrabs and FAir setups is against the Training AI set to Jump. I've seen people suggest Level 1 or Level 4 CPUs but they're not nearly as random and training mode helps you set up the %s you want.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I tried them for chain grabbing because they run alot. : D

Top Bottom