• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's good after a utilt?

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
I was playing a friend of mine today, and I found it hard to keep the combo going after using a utilt. I'll usually spam utilt a couple more times, but it doesn't seem like it has enough hitstun to tilt lock (like Sheik's ftilt). What do you guys use after one? SH nair works well for me, but that doesn't follow up very nicely either.

Utilt out of shield is godly, btw. It comes out extremely fast in back of you, and I was even able to kill with it at high percents.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I like to get under one of Luigi's Mansion's roofs, and u-tilt my opponent over and over into the ceiling. That works for at least three consecutive hits.

Don't know much about using it for combos, though.

h4rdcor3

Smash Journeyman
Like samuelson said, Nair and Uair are good. If they are at low enough percentage when you are done with them and get lucky with the DI i've even been able to go into a Fair combo. Racked up 80% instantly on one of my friends the other night.

iLink

Smash Champion
If they are out of range for another Utilt/Usmash then any aerial would do really, except a Nair or Fair would probably be best of you are trying to combo them further more.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
U-tilt to jab works at lower percents, which can theoretically lead to FP.

U-tilt to sh retreating n-air is still my favorite, though.

Timbers

check me out
It honestly depends who you're playing and what character they're using. If they're trying to attack you out of the utilts, then I'll shield and grab/jab them after. If they try using their midair to get away, then I'll follow with fair/nair/uair, depend where they're DIing to. If they use their midair and simutaneously try dairing you thinking you're attempting to follow them, then that's where your utilt potential ends and you start a new approach, or if they're predictable with it, then bait the dair and punish afterwards.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, like I said, I almost always throw in another utilt, but I often find them breaking out rather easily with an aerial or airdodge. Maybe I'm not doing it fast enough? Do you guys have this problem, too? I mean, to me it seems like just about anybody can break out of a utilt chain - Snake, Marth, Pika, Olimar, etc - even at low percents.

I think I'll go with what Timbers said and just react to their move and try to punish accordingly. Lucario doesn't seem to have the best out of shield options, though. When they're close in I'll shield grab or drop shield jab-jab-whatever. But, particularly with Olimar and Marth, I have difficulty punishing their quick long-ranged smashes and aerials if they space well. Olimar is too short for a fair oos to hit, and Marth can break out of my string with a quick upb.

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

I sometimes like to wait for their air dodge and just grab them when they reach the ground. fair is good too, and can easily counter an airdodge with a d/nair since fair is quick.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
If you are playing a character like G&W you may want to space yourself out of the reach of his Dair(or any aerial you suspect to out prioritize your Fair,Nair or Uair) and go for a Bair, or just stay there and wait on the ground so you can shield grab them. It usually works with fast fallers(or Dairing G&Ws >_>) That is assuming they perform an aerial instead of jumping away...

Top Bottom