• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's everyone's opinion on the new tournament mode?

You're thoughts on tournament mode

• Total voters

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
I'm just saying, I'm glad this is [most likely] Sakurai's last Sm4sh game. He finds a way to **** up the simplest of things. And to think, it took him THIS LONG to make this ****ty of a system. Seriously, you guys need to realize that he's not the godly developer that you all think he is. There are a million other people who could've done this entire game better than he did. His ideology is backwards and his creativity is dead. He made great games once, but he is long past his prime. Smash bros has such a defined formula, it's hard to mess up...and yet here the creator is, messing it up. They better fix this soon. And by they, I mean his team, not him because you know he doesn't want to.
You know we wouldn't be posting here without Sakurai right? So I think you should be more easy on him.

D

Deleted member 269706

You know we wouldn't be posting here without Sakurai right? So I think you should be more easy on him.
The end of my post made it quite clear that I'm aware of what he's done. But don't pull that bull**** on me. He is far from the only person we have to thank for this. He does not deserve all of the credit, not even close. Just because he has made these games, doesn't mean that's the best they can be, and it certainly doesn't mean we should just settle for them just because "Sakurai worked hard". I have a right to complain, and I have a right to dislike it. And if the majority of voices are complaining about something, wouldn't you say that issue should be addressed? And why should I "go easy on him?" This was a STUPID decision on his part, and it was far from the first.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
The end of my post made it quite clear that I'm aware of what he's done. But don't pull that bull**** on me. He is far from the only person we have to thank for this. He does not deserve all of the credit, not even close. Just because he has made these games, doesn't mean that's the best they can be, and it certainly doesn't mean we should just settle for them just because "Sakurai worked hard". I have a right to complain, and I have a right to dislike it. And if the majority of voices are complaining about something, wouldn't you say that issue should be addressed? And why should I "go easy on him?" This was a STUPID decision on his part, and it was far from the first.
I don't like the way tournament mode was delivered, but what I'm happy about is that it's out and now I can do tournaments despite the noticable flaws. I'm sure they will fix it just give it time.

D

Deleted member 269706

I don't like the way tournament mode was delivered, but what I'm happy about is that it's out and now I can do tournaments despite the noticable flaws. I'm sure they will fix it just give it time.
You know, if we could make our own offline tourneys, 1v1 tourneys, or even basic elimination brackets, I would agree with you and say "at least we got something", but we didn't get any of those. I mean, those are the big three things that a lot of us were expecting, and we didn't get any of it. We were promised these tournament modes way back in November of last year, and this is what we got. We waited 9 months for this...Sorry man, but until something is done, this is unacceptable.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
You know, if we could make our own offline tourneys, 1v1 tourneys, or even basic elimination brackets, I would agree with you and say "at least we got something", but we didn't get any of those. I mean, those are the big three things that a lot of us were expecting, and we didn't get any of it. We were promised these tournament modes way back in November of last year, and this is what we got. We waited 9 months for this...Sorry man, but until something is done, this is unacceptable.
I thought they mentioned offline tournaments too but if you go back to the direct you won't see anything said about it.

LightLV

Smash Ace
What do i think?

I think Sakurai needs to just stop pretending that the gaming world is sunshine and rainbows, and that sometimes, just SOMETIMES, its okay to let someone be objectively better than another person.

Everything about tournament mode just screams "I intentionally ignored features that would make logical sense so people will keep it casual". Sakurai isn't a stupid person, he pays attention to details. So it's very safe to assume that all of Tournament Mode's shortcomings were entirely intentional.

It's just more removal of features in an attempt to stop it from being taken seriously. But all it's really doing is frustrating the only people who care. A tournament mode with no elimination settings, 1v1 or even STOCK is not tournament mode, it's a completely useless feature that could have just been left out the game.

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I'm just saying, I'm glad this is [most likely] Sakurai's last Sm4sh game. He finds a way to **** up the simplest of things. And to think, it took him THIS LONG to make this ****ty of a system. Seriously, you guys need to realize that he's not the godly developer that you all think he is. There are a million other people who could've done this entire game better than he did. His ideology is backwards and his creativity is dead. He made great games once, but he is long past his prime. Smash bros has such a defined formula, it's hard to mess up...and yet here the creator is, messing it up. They better fix this soon. And by they, I mean his team, not him because you know he doesn't want to.
201503_1020_iceia_sm.jpg

No, seriously, if your going to bash Sakurai's entire game just because of ONE mode, then you seriously need to chill. Also, why are you wasting time playing it anyway if you don't like it? Smash Bros. 4 has arguably been the best game in the series, and it CERTAINLY wouldn't have been the same without Sakurai's involvement. Saying that he's messed up is only an opinion. Seriously, have you played the other fan-made games? You CANNOT say that Smash Crusade or Smash Flash are better games compared to this. And what's all this talk about a smash formula? This game is meant to be a party game; a game you can pick to play after a hard day of work, or just to chill and laugh with your friends. Ask Doctor Mario for a Chill Pill, bro, because if your going to get mad at the creator just because something didn't meet YOUR expectations (how typical for someone to blame a creator for something he doesn't like), then go and wine to Nintendo about, like some immature little kid. Don't be so picky, dude. Nothing was ruined here, all that is needed are minor improvements, is all.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I don't like the strict time limit. I was very pleased with myself for making to 1 v 1 final against a decent Sheik, as Yoshi. We both made a mistake costing us each a stock, but by the end of the match I was in the lead by around 25% damage. And for some reason, I still lost the match according to the rules-I-don't-understand as of yet. :p

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
View attachment 65715

No, seriously, if your going to bash Sakurai's entire game just because of ONE mode, then you seriously need to chill. Also, why are you wasting time playing it anyway if you don't like it? Smash Bros. 4 has arguably been the best game in the series, and it CERTAINLY wouldn't have been the same without Sakurai's involvement. Saying that he's messed up is only an opinion. Seriously, have you played the other fan-made games? You CANNOT say that Smash Crusade or Smash Flash are better games compared to this. And what's all this talk about a smash formula? This game is meant to be a party game; a game you can pick to play after a hard day of work, or just to chill and laugh with your friends. Ask Doctor Mario for a Chill Pill, bro, because if your going to get mad at the creator just because something didn't meet YOUR expectations (how typical for someone to blame a creator for something he doesn't like), then go and wine to Nintendo about, like some immature little kid. Don't be so picky, dude. Nothing was ruined here, all that is needed are minor improvements, is all.
If someone hates a game over one mofe, they don't deserve to play it at all.

D

Deleted member 269706

View attachment 65715

Not once did I say I don't like the game, no idea where you pulled that **** from. I simply said it could have been done a lot better. For instance, why am I able to obtain the same pieces of custom equipment and custom moves more than once when there are well over 300? Why is 90% of the game found in the Games and More section? Why does Palutena and Mii's get unlocked customs, everyone else has to randomly find theirs, and DLC don't even get any? Why is there no target smash, a staple to the smash series? Why can't I run an offline tournament? It's not just this new mode that upsets me, it's a variety of the decisions, and I could list more. And if not the creator, who should I be mad at? If I go to a restaurant, and order a dish, and when it gets to me isn't what it appears to be in the menu, should I not be mad at the chef? Should I be mad at the waiter? Should I be mad at myself for believing that the dish would be as good as the menu made it look? If you don't voice your opinion, how exactly are things supposed to improve? How will he know what to fix? I have every right to be upset with this, let me have my opinion. If you were hoping to change my opinion, being disrespectful and rude isn't the way to do it.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
If I may, Rawkstar? For someone who argues that Sakurai doesn't deserve all the credit--and don't get me wrong, I agree with that--you also appear to be giving him a pretty disproportionate amount of the blame. I don't think that's 100% fair. It's totally fine to be mad (and honestly, I don't think it's been fair for others to discount your grievances, either), but should you be mad at anything else but the final featureset? A scapegoat sounds somewhat unnecessary.

Now, if only there were an easy way to express feedback to the developers after a patch. That would be ideal, I think. A survey system of sorts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

If I may, Rawkstar? For someone who argues that Sakurai doesn't deserve all the credit--and don't get me wrong, I agree with that--you also appear to be giving him a pretty disproportionate amount of the blame. I don't think that's 100% fair. It's totally fine to be mad, but should you be mad at anything else but the final featureset? A scapegoat sounds somewhat unnecessary.

Now, if only there were an easy way to express feedback to the developers after a patch. That would be ideal, I think. A survey system of sorts.
No, you're absolutely right. I am taking a lot of this out on him, which is unfair as you said. It just seems like he is often incapable of giving a straight answer when we ask, and that really annoys me. "There's a good chance we won't do any more DLC." > Precedes to set up a character ballot. Or how about "There won't be many more character balance patches after this" which is then followed up by 6 or 7 more balancing patches. It's just some of his (or rather, his team's) decisions and reasoning is so backwards that it confuses me. I suppose part of it is that I get annoyed hearing all of this Sakurai worship, and the best way to be heard is to go overboard with it. It seems like if something amazing happens, everyone goes, "Praise Sakurai!" but if something bad happens, "Why Nintendo, why did you do this?" like Sakurai isn't capable of messing up. Sorry if I'm going overboard with this again, I have a lot to say on the topic :p I don't hate the man, I just don't harbor near as much respect as a lot of his fans do.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
Not really the anwser I was looking for honestly.
Well I mean it was the only way I could join a tourney hosted in Europe. I believe everything else that shows up is from America. So I can't really do anything about it sorry :p but why not see if there are any good tourneys hosted that are posted somewhere online? Or why not make a tourney with people in smashboards that would be nice, I would probably join that too. If you are wondering what tourney I joined, it was from another forum called "Nintendo Life"

Cottoneyes

Smash Rookie
We already went over what all the standard stuff was wrong with this mode so I'll skip and go to some other things that get to me

-Custom lobbies are the worse. I don't think customs belong in majors but it's fun to have custom moves every now and then, but the equipment ruin the whole thing for me. It's just come down to whoever has the most wack build and putting real skill into the backseat.

-3 mins just feels like I'm not going to have much to do in the allowed time. We wait 15 mins for a 2 min stock match which can go either way cause it either forces you to play rush down the whole way or completely campy. No middle ground. I understand tournaments shouldn't be long on regular ones but if it gets in the way of real gameplay it's a problem.

-The fact that we have "for fun" tournaments just do not make sense to me. Am I not here to test my skills? I mean I don't have to go in them but them being there just feels pointless.

I don't really care much for Smash 4 but even I feel Sakurai forcing his ideal of proper gaming down my throat when he releases anything. He needed to step down years ago or content like this will just keep getting pushed in being lackluster and questionable.

BluCommander

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3695-0531-8507
So far the only tournament mode I have enjoyed is 1v1 For Fun.

1v1 For Glory would be fun, except I don't want to wait ~30min to get in, and possibly lose in 2min and have to wait another ~30min to find another game. 1v1 For Fun really isn't ideal, but at least I don't have to wait so long to get into a game. Besides, even with items, so long as you don't get unlucky, you're more likely to win if you're more skilled. Don't get me started on those equipment users though....

I have to say though I agree with everything Rawkstar has said. Before I found the 1v1 For Fun matches, I was thinking "You know, I almost rather they hadn't even bothered with this." Determining the winner with damage dealt is extremely frustrating. I was tied with a shulk, we both had 3 kills and 1 death in a FFA. Shulk wins of course, because he was jumping into everyone else's battles and spamming counter (he got 2 of his kills doing this, and I really couldn't compete with that damage output). I had another game with a Ryu (1v1), who messed me up on my first stock, but I managed to string him into a kill when has was at ~30%. He kills me of course (he really messed me up that first stock), and when of course he wins because of how much damage he did to me on my first stock, even though I had less health at the end. One game, I ran into a Samus who simple charged her blast and stole kills (though this is more a problem with FFA and not tournament mode itself, but the fact you can't create your own 1v1 tourneys keeps this relevant)

So all in all, while I have managed to squeeze some fun out of the mode, if Nintendo leaves it as it is now I am going to be very frustrated. I don't know what Sakurai and his team were thinking when they made this, it's frankly ridiculous. I agree with just about every change everyone else has posted so far, but I believe we especially need:

1. If a tournament fills up, don't make the players wait anymore.
2. Change tiebreaker from most damage dealt to player with the lowest %
3. Make it easier to get into/add more 1v1 lobbies. Seriously, even casuals would like to win a few rounds in a tournament, but in FFA matches they still have a 75% chance of losing their first match.

A few things I would personally like, but aren't necessary to "fix" these tournaments.

1. 2v2 tournaments (even if it's only available for 2 players playing on the same wii U)
2. 5min timer. (If they don't change the tiebreaker conditions, then this actually is necessary to fix tournament mode)

That sums up my experience/mini rant with tournament mode so far. I am hopeful that they can fix this mode, but it really shouldn't have come out like this in the first place.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Not once did I say I don't like the game, no idea where you pulled that **** from. I simply said it could have been done a lot better. For instance, why am I able to obtain the same pieces of custom equipment and custom moves more than once when there are well over 300? Why is 90% of the game found in the Games and More section? Why does Palutena and Mii's get unlocked customs, everyone else has to randomly find theirs, and DLC don't even get any? Why is there no target smash, a staple to the smash series? Why can't I run an offline tournament? It's not just this new mode that upsets me, it's a variety of the decisions, and I could list more. And if not the creator, who should I be mad at? If I go to a restaurant, and order a dish, and when it gets to me isn't what it appears to be in the menu, should I not be mad at the chef? Should I be mad at the waiter? Should I be mad at myself for believing that the dish would be as good as the menu made it look? If you don't voice your opinion, how exactly are things supposed to improve? How will he know what to fix? I have every right to be upset with this, let me have my opinion. If you were hoping to change my opinion, being disrespectful and rude isn't the way to do it.
Sorry for being rude, I've been in the YouTube comment section too much... Now that I've gotten more clarity to your comment, I believe I understand how you feel. Trust me, I DO respect your opinion, but just be happy that we have what we have. Sure, there may be things you think need adjusting, I've ridden that boat before, but don't you think we should enjoy what we have? Look, not everything can be the way we want it to be, but we need to hand them some hard-earned credit for giving us what we have now. A lot of things may not meet your expectations, and that is fine, but it's about your approach to the situation that truly irks me. You've said that Sakurai has ruined the game, plus that the series would do fine without his involvement. I understand that you're only letting your thoughts get out there so that something can be done, but do you think bashing someone is going to improve anything? Just be happy with what we have. It may not have been as good as you pictured it being, but remember that they've put a lot of work into it. Sakurai even endured an arm-injury for the past year, but continued to push on and make this game for us. After all the stress and pain he's gone to give us what we have, you still have the nerve to say he's ruined it? It's not that you dislike tournament mode or other things in this game that bothers me, it was your response and method of approach to get your opinion out there that got me. You should by no means bash somebody like that, because THAT'S rude. And please don't take this the wrong way. I don't want any beef to get in between us.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
I agree with just about every change everyone else has posted so far, but I believe we especially need:

1. If a tournament fills up, don't make the players wait anymore.
2. Change tiebreaker from most damage dealt to player with the lowest %
3. Make it easier to get into/add more 1v1 lobbies. Seriously, even casuals would like to win a few rounds in a tournament, but in FFA matches they still have a 75% chance of losing their first match.

A few things I would personally like, but aren't necessary to "fix" these tournaments.

1. 2v2 tournaments (even if it's only available for 2 players playing on the same wii U)
2. 5min timer. (If they don't change the tiebreaker conditions, then this actually is necessary to fix tournament mode)
Would you be okay with the winner decided by the lower Damage Taken stat instead? I agree that it's biased against certain characters (Lumalina and Olimar off the top of my head, maybe DHD if you can hit his gunmen for damage), as well as stage-influenced (since bosses take damage, just beat on Ridley or Yellow Devil when you can to boost).

Damage Taken also has its flaws (stage hazards for one), but still actually shows up on the HUD.

BluCommander

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3695-0531-8507
Would you be okay with the winner decided by the lower Damage Taken stat instead? I agree that it's biased against certain characters (Lumalina and Olimar off the top of my head, maybe DHD if you can hit his gunmen for damage), as well as stage-influenced (since bosses take damage, just beat on Ridley or Yellow Devil when you can to boost).

Damage Taken also has its flaws (stage hazards for one), but still actually shows up on the HUD.
Damage taken isn't perfect, but I believe it is far better than most damage dealt, and I would even say sudden death. They way I see it, had the game continued without a timeout, it's more likely that the person with less damage would have won the match had it continued. Damage dealt isn't a good indicator of who would have won the match. In FFA, you can be the player with the most damage dealt but have it divided among all the other opponents, who could all have lower percent than you. It's still a problem in 1v1, because like my Ryu example above, they could deal the majority of that damage on your first stock. You could be at 0% on your 2nd stock, and still lose because your opponent did tons of damage to you (but couldn't finish you off) on your first stock, while meanwhile your opponent is near death on their second stock. Damage taken is really the fairest tie-breaker I can think of, sudden death and damage dealt give a pretty heavy advantage to certain characters.

So yeah, not only would I be okay with that, but that's ultimately what I would like to see happen.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I hearing Tournament Mode sucks balls. Haven't tried it myself to see if that's true.

D

Deleted member

Having tried it out first hand, this mode is bad. Not hopeless, but close to it.

Laying the obvious problem that a player can't create their own 1v1 and/or bracket tournies aside, the ruleset for "Regular" tournaments is bad, and the playerbase follows suit. A 3 minute timer in a 2 stock match is bound to lead to timeouts if there isn't a large skill gap or 2 aggressive characters aren't battling. Add that the winner in a stock tie is based on damage dealt total, comebacks are nearly impossible. Even playing as Falcon I was mere seconds off of a timeout after running with the lead playing keepaway for a minute. Having experienced it for myself, I've only encountered For Glory Macs, rollers, etc. in my multiple bracket runs to semis or finals in 64 man tournaments, and I don't consider myself that good. You don't feel rewarded for making it far against lackluster competition, especially in a timeout heavy ruleset.

Of course you have the 20 minute wait to start after the tourney is full, but that isn't annoying or unnecessary at all :rolleyes:

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
I agree with most people here that Tourney mode is a big disappointment, but after playing it a while, I figured that it was a way for casual players (including Sakurai) to ease themselves into more competitive play, not a tool designed for actual tournaments. With this in mind, I do have some hope that later patches will improve this (1v1 and 2v2 in custom tourneys, increase the regular 1v1 time limit, more options in custom tourneys, amiibo tourneys, OFFLINE TOURNEYS, etc).

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
3 times a person I've been fighting has had more damage and i about to be killed before the time runs out and all three of those times they won the matches because even though I'm at a lower percentage and I am in the midst of KO'ing them THEY have done MORE than me?
And was also the time me and some other guy powered through some serious lag in a 4 Match but even though it said I won, nobody got through to the next round

Really starting to loathe these things

Last edited:

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
I am just clueless to why the regular tourny modes do not have a losers bracket.

And why in the name of god are the matches 2 mins long? I have lost to a Duck hunt dog due to his projectiles and being unable to kill him in his last stock in time.

DekuSWEG

Smash Rookie
Waiting for 15 minutes to lose your first match is devastating. I haven't experienced it for myself but have seen it on streams lol Just like most of the other people in this thread have posted, offline mode is a must imo

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Ironically the wait times aren't the things that bother me the most. In fact there have been times where I did pick a 20 min. wait 1v1 tourney on purpose (over shorter times that were present) cause I wanted to actually fix myself something to eat and look on the internet for a few minutes lol. Even for smaller waits that are like 7 min. or something, I'm either on my 3DS reading fanfics or on my phone or again the internet, so it just goes by really fast compared to actually sitting there and physically staring at the timer going down.

What's frustrating is just the unpredictable lag. Like the above 20 min. tourney that I entered. When it eventually started, I was hit with serious lag that made it unplayable for me. I just became a punching bag lol. I mean it'd be one thing if this lag happened in the FFA For Glory but for a 1v1 match, it just frustrated me and was basically a waste of a tourney at that point.

Kinda like what's been said, I wish people could create their own 1v1 For Glory tournaments or just have the options show up more and not as spaced out between sessions as they tend to fill up quick unless you want to enter when it's like 37 min. wait or something to just nab a spot. Oh and obviously the time needs to be more than 3 min. I had an opponent run for the last ten seconds of the clock and I noticed I was only 7% damage away from winning. I rather be able to win based on KO'ing the opponent than that damage factor, which is very circumstantial.

Last edited:

mrmoneymanguy

Smash Rookie
With a few more customization options it could be amazing. I would love to be able to set up 1v1 fights

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I think I only advanced one round in a span of 5 tourneys. Otherwise, seems like the ruleset favors campy playstyle with an iron fist.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
What gets me about Tournament Mode isn't so much how bad it is (despite it being truly awful,) but how good it could be with adjustments.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Tourney mode isn't bad, but it isn't great either. I like how fast it is but it is annoying to have to wait 20+ minutes just to play one tourney, and then there is the three minute timer which encourages OP for glory characters like ness and little mac(most of the time they stink tho) other then that online tourney is pretty good, offline however, stinks.

IggyKoopaStar

Smash Rookie
NNID
IggyKoopaStar
3DS FC
5344-1460-7151
I honestly find the tourney mode really good. Of course, a few things on it could be improved, but from what I played, I find it great!

The only downside to me honestly is by how there's a lack of an offline mode for tourney, but it does barely disturb me, it's even better online, and as I was expecting it more online, I am honestly surprised to have this. But besides that, this is absolutely epic to me and the exact way I was expecting it to be.

Cylent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cylent.x
I think with more variety tournament mode could've been great. If it has 1v1 options and could change the battle rules to stocks.
Even it is still only one game, and single elimination. It still would've been a nice touch and a great way to have fun.

Local tournament mode would also be pretty great.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I finally got my "competitive" equipment mode. It's a complete disaster.

I love it. :estatic:

As somebody who's bothered to 100% the game, I've gotten quite the collection of equipment. Before it was useless outside of solo modes because it's too hard to find players who play with it, but now it's easy. It's not supposed to be fair... It's about building the craziest set possible. The shear hilarity of seeing characters who'd put Brawl - to shame duking it out is why it's worth showing up.

Only problem is that right now the meta is young, and the players that are winning focus on beating the average player with cheese instead of building something that would compete with other good players... Right now it's about speed Jigglypuffs stalling out. Almost any character with enough speed could catch up, but nobody's caught on yet.

Kitsunebi

Smash Rookie
NNID
TenebrousFox
I really enjoy Regular Tourney mode very much; I find myself playing it a lot these days. Sometimes the wait times are kind of ridiculous, however (I think it'd be better if a tourney started once all members were present or something).
I very much enjoy being able to watch replays if I lose, but I don't like how I can't save any of those replays. Also, the time limit is just too short... in the situation where it's a 1v1 For Glory tourney and me and my opponent are both down to one life, the opponent will often just run away if they believe they have a % damage lead (because there's no sudden death). At first, I thought the whole "win will be awarded to most active player" thing would discourage overly defensive/avoidant playing, but now I see it actually encourages it.

So yeah, obviously in my opinion there's room for improvement. I'd also like to see some team tournies so that me and my buddies can sign up together or I can sign up with a random teammate, just like in For Glory.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
My only use is I finally have a medium to use custom equipment. That is fun. Otherwise, complete flop.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
So has this happened to anyone else? I joined a 1v1 tourney a few days ago and it was a real laggy match and so 3 min. dragged on. I managed a win and the character victory played but then a message popped up 'literally over the character's victory pose haha' saying, 'I lost' due to a timeout or something lol. And it counted as a 'No contest' for both me and my opponent. We were the only ones like that in the tournament, so apparently this is a thing! Now I dread laggy matches since I don't know whether prevailing through won't amount to a waste of time in the end.

On another note I don't know whether it was because I played in the morning (school/college starting up or something maybe?) but I was able to easily join multiple 1v1/For Glory tourneys almost back to back with fast wait times. One For Glory tournament I joined was literally under the minute mark and I was able to still join it when normally at that point you get the 'Unable to Join' message box since it fills up so quickly. So that was a fun treat.

Last edited:

Kitsunebi

Smash Rookie
NNID
TenebrousFox
So has this happened to anyone else? I joined a 1v1 tourney a few days ago and it was a real laggy match and so 3 min. dragged on. I managed a win and the character victory played but then a message popped up 'literally over the character's victory pose haha' saying, 'I lost' due to a timeout or something lol. And it counted as a 'No contest' for both me and my opponent. We were the only ones like that in the tournament, so apparently this is a thing! Now I dread laggy matches since I don't know whether prevailing through won't amount to a waste of time in the end.

On another note I don't know whether it was because I played in the morning (school/college starting up or something maybe?) but I was able to easily join multiple 1v1/For Glory tourneys almost back to back with fast wait times. One For Glory tournament I joined was literally under the minute mark and I was able to still join it when normally at that point you get the 'Unable to Join' message box since it fills up so quickly. So that was a fun treat.
Yep, happens all the time. I remember I was about to make it to the finals during one tourney; but the match was lagging so much during the semi-finals that it dragged on past 3 minutes and, even though I did win in the end, we both lost and I never did make it to the finals.

I guess there are times were not as many people are playing online/signing up for tournies, which would explain the reduced wait times.

Top Bottom