• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's everyone's opinion on the new tournament mode?

You're thoughts on tournament mode

• Total voters

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I was excited we didn't have to play Sudden death anymore... Until I loss to a Dr. Mario who waited for time even though I took more damage off of him. I don't think Sakurai knows how you win in fighting games.

Last edited:

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Adding to a previous point, the only way to play Miis in an environment without items and more competitive stages in Elimination Brackets is in Custom For Glory. It's all good, at least until you are put against players that utilise equipment, at which point you might find yourself unable to fight back for the most part.

Not decrying the game or how folks play, and I understand that in a setting where there's no regulation for this kind of thing, but it can get frustrating at times when you're put at such a disadvantage.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone else having trouble using GCN Remote on Regular Tournies, or is that just me

I seem to lose control around the point of getting into the waiting room prebattle.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This mode is not what I thought it would be at all. I was thinking that Sakurai would bring back the Tournament Mode from past Smash games but make them editable (this is what I want). I was also hoping you could use Amiibos in them. No dice. The online mode is cool but off-line has no lag.

The amiibos are expensive, underused features of Smash 4. Sakurai needs to expand their application. Smash 4 is best Smash yet but the Single player modes were a bummer. Even Smash 64 has more entertaining Single Player content.

Btw the "Tournament Mode" should be re-titled "League Mode." Tournaments by their nature involve eliminations of contenders and brackets.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I was excited we didn't have to play Sudden death anymore... Until I loss to a Dr. Mario who waited for time even though I took more damage off of him. I don't think Sakurai knows how you win in fighting games.
This happened to me several times today.

Horrific!

Another thing that bothers me is how we aren't allowed the option to saved replays on regular tourney.Psh.

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Feels just like when Brawl was released. No 1vs1, very limited optiions, total failure. Sakurai has some twisted mindset about making online features completely ****ty

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
The system with who dealt more damage wins is absolutely horrible.
You get punished for surviving, which especially hurts heavy characters. While players that keep their distance and spam have a total benefit.

It's just totally frustrating when you have 0% on your second stock, with your opponent having 50% and yet you still lose, because in the stock before he has done so much damage.

This system is just completely messed up, and I am beyond disappointed with tournament mode.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Losing in the quarter finals to a subpar Toon Link who had a crap connection and just took advantage of that to spam projectiles, me still coming back, but then when I take his first stock and he camps out on the respawn platform and gets like 10 seconds invincibility total (between standing on the platform and the respawn invincibilty after getting down from it), is the bloody worst.

The regular tourney rules are awful. They discourage and make aiming for early % KOs an unviable strategy since you can just pick a campy character and keep nipping away at people's percent. You can viably win by not even aiming for a KO. It's ridiculous.

And the Smash player base doesn't even have the collective mindset to just not fight like that. People just want to win (even though it means nothing here), and the strategy for it in regular tourneys is terribly boring. Link and Toon Link are basically top tiers because "lol camping". Mega Man will also be good, but for the wrong reasons (Mega Man is one of my mains).

I also have to question if dealing damage to Luma and Pikmin counts as damage. I honestly suspect it does, that one match I had against a Toon Link, I hit him more than he hit Rosalina, I'm sure of it. I think it counts Luma. I know some people are gonna be like "lol Rosalina's bottom tier in regular tourney", which would honestly be true, but in fairness, seeing a Rosalina win because Luma sneaked in, or because he took a hit and Rosalina punished the attacker, as at least kinda hype in the same way G&W's 9 is (except it isn't even down to luck).

Seeing a Rosalina lose just because a campy character did damage to Luma is just ridiculous.

I could be wrong about it, but due to the phrasing "whoever dealt the most damage wins", it seems to be the case, since Luma has a damage meter of sorts, so hitting him counts as dealing damage (and hitting him can stale moves too). Same applies to the Pikmin.

Also I generally think the game's online infrastructure is not good enough to handle this kind of mode and make it a serious competitive environment.

As for the unofficial tourneys, I actually think that feature is fine, except for the lack of 1v1 and Doubles, and usual online infrastructure problems. I'm using it to set up year long tournaments that serve as a hub for people to play in, basically social groups.

Last edited:

Newbarktown

Smash Cadet
Wow I just found out if you both have one stock, it's whoever got the last hit that wins, not whoever has the least%...

WHY NINTENDO

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
Wow I just found out if you both have one stock, it's whoever got the last hit that wins, not whoever has the least%...

WHY NINTENDO
Are you sure it's the last hit?

If mii fighters are on but customs aren't will the miis still be able to have equipements?... Equipments are stupid.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are you sure it's the last hit?

If mii fighters are on but customs aren't will the miis still be able to have equipements?... Equipments are stupid.
No, Mii Fighter equipment is only in effect if customs is on. Custom moves for Mii Fighters will be active regardless, but then again, Mii Fighters technically don't have a default, since you are supposed to be creating your own fighter.

Pelias26

Smash Rookie

WHY NINTENDO
It's not the last hit, it's the player that is "most active" I've heard that this means whover did more damage which makes no sense because heavy characters are meant to take damage but survive longer than light characters so technically if you sd when the match starts and then just take one stock off of the opponent then time the clock out, you can't lose

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade

WHY NINTENDO
It's 100% not whoever dealt the last hit wins. I'm pretty sure it's who dealt more damage.
My partner had a match earlier, where both characters were on their last stock, and he had 0% while the opponent had 50% and he still lost. The first stock he had up to 170% while koing the other person around 70%.

This system is just a big mess, it hurts surviving, it especially hurts heavy characters, it hurts characters that don't have projectiles and need to approach, it discourages aggressive gameplay and killing early and it benefits defensive spamming characters way too much. Combined with the short match time, it is so hard to get these people out of their defensive spammy gameplay. Especially if you get punished for killing early.

It's no wonder why most tournaments are full of Links and Toon Links. All they do in the matches is stand on one end of the stage, spamming boomerang and arrows.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's ment to stop people from hiding in a corner is why it is like this.

My thoughts, I like it but there is room for improvement.

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
It's ment to stop people from hiding in a corner is why it is like this.

My thoughts, I like it but there is room for improvement.
But it exactly does the opposite??
Exactly the people that keep their distance, hide in a corner, and rack up damage are the ones that will have an advantage. The system would work better, if it actually encouraged people to approach and play aggressively, but it doesn't.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I feel like the only reason it's limited to three minutes is an issue of not wanting people's connections to start getting bad mid match.

Doesn't really matter though since most Smash online players have bad connections from the get go.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
But it exactly does the opposite??
Exactly the people that keep their distance, hide in a corner, and rack up damage are the ones that will have an advantage. The system would work better, if it actually encouraged people to approach and play aggressively, but it doesn't.
It means of that one guy waits or out for everyone else to die he will lose.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
It means of that one guy waits or out for everyone else to die he will lose.
Ok, it's true that it works in a free for all.
But I was talking about the 1v1 environment. Where the same system, encourages camping and spamming.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Ok, it's true that it works in a free for all.
But I was talking about the 1v1 environment. Where the same system, encourages camping and spamming.
In 1v1? You do what you always do, go in and kill them.

The 3 minute thing is weird, but I guess that is for making them not take too long and speedier.

Again, they can improve on this I'd rather this was in the game than without. But there is room for improvement, if they did it for classic mode they can do it for this, so here t hoping.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why is it that most players in Tournament mode run and spam more then For Glory all of a sudden?

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Why is it that most players in Tournament mode run and spam more then For Glory all of a sudden?
Because like mentioned above, the winner is decided by who dealt the most damage/got more hits, if both people still have one stock left.

With a 3 minute time limit, it is very hard to actually ko spammers that keep their distance, especially when playing heavy characters that don't have all to good approach options.
Which is why saying, just go and kill them, isn't really a viable solution @ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu . It becomes a game of playing catch, with the player that is trying to be aggressive losing, because the spammer is playing it safe and gets more hits in.

Like said, if this wasn't the case, I am sure most Tournaments wouldn't have so many Links and Toon Links in them.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Can we take a moment to talk about links custom power bow? That thing is rediculus in ffa matches. Out of nowhere you get sniped and KOed. Thankfully though link isn't too hard to approach.

Something iv noticed though, when I make a tournament and set items to "off" they still show up in battle. How do I make a custom ffa tourney with no items? Maybe this only happens to me though...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Because like mentioned above, the winner is decided by who dealt the most damage/got more hits, if both people still have one stock left.

With a 3 minute time limit, it is very hard to actually ko spammers that keep their distance, especially when playing heavy characters that don't have all to good approach options.
Which is why saying, just go and kill them, isn't really a viable solution @ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu . It becomes a game of playing catch, with the player that is trying to be aggressive losing, because the spammer is playing it safe and gets more hits in.

Like said, if this wasn't the case, I am sure most Tournaments wouldn't have so many Links and Toon Links in them.
It's the same even when I still have 2 stocks and no damage, and they're at 1-126% or so. It's lime how all the spammers from the 3DS version came to the Wii U version when it came out, and there were no spammers on that version, but Wii U for glory is the 3ds one, and Tourney is the Wii U for glory in this situation.

yo-yo_guy

Smash Rookie
Well when you actually get into a game it's fun, but it has way too much waiting.
My one big problem is that they don't allow you to create your own 1v1's. You look at the regular tourney's and that's the thing that's filled up the most. I've never managed to get into a for glory 1v1 before, they're always full, so I'm forced to settle for custom 1v1's. Also got desperate and did a for fun 1v1. DON'T DO IT. NEVER AGAIN.

it's also stupid you have to wait for the time to begin instead of when the tournament is full, because having to wait a half hour is just stupid.

Also the time limit on these matches are WAY to short! It rarely ends by KO. Seriously I've had people who attacked me enough to win then just waited out the timer. Since I usually play a heavy slow character I have a huge disadvantage because of this.

I'm fine with the options they allow you for the tournaments you make, like points or number of wins, and how you can use mii's and custom fighters is cool but it needs more options like the ability for 1v1s or 2v2's or to do a traditional single or double elimination like regular tourney.

The mode can be fun but it needs a LOT of work. Like a LOT.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
- Super long tournaments which have players wait in an empty room for about 10-40 minutes tops for a tournament to start, with nothing but a sandbag to "train" with. Come on, at the very least, place a notification on the top-right corner of the screen or something to indicate how much time you have until the tournament starts, so that one can feely do other things in the meantime, besides wait in a room.

- Since I'm on the topic, don't you think tournaments should automatically start once the game is full? Having to wait half an hour when the room is clearly full is pointless. Why have people wait instead of saving time and start it right away? Also, apparently, if somebody leaves during a match, the whole tournament is canceled. Why can't they simply replace the forfeited opponent with a CPU instead of ruining it for a bunch of people? They do that in For Glory...

- The time limit in these matches are too short, considering you and your opponent have 2 stocks. Don't you think 5 minutes would've been fine? Then again, these tournaments probably need to go quick, but still... Seriously, these spammers are so hard to approach. I'm looking at both of you, Links... Believe me, there is nothing that annoys me more than losing to a player who has done nothing but spam projectiles, who then retreats to the other side of the stage when you approach them just so he can spam more crap into your face, and you lose the battle for surviving that spammy massacre (explained in next reason below)? Now that's truly BS...

- Also in the topic of time, I've had opponents who simply wait out the clock, avoid me, and take the win for themselves. ANOTHER reason to increase the time limit. Also, these wins are given to the most "active" player (or the player who's given the most damage). W-why? Why can't you give the win to the player with the lowest percent, like it's been in the last games?

- No offline tournaments. Ok, to be honest, I could've cared less about this; probably because I rarely get company... But, hey, give the other people what they want, right?

- Inability to create 1v1 tourneys.

- Customs and equipment are not separate options.

- Incapability to use Miis during non-custom tourneys or tournaments. Seriously, at the very least allow players to use the default set. Besides, it can open the privilege to use Miis during For Glory.

- No team tourneys or tournaments. I was greatly disappointed by this, actually.

- No 8-player tourneys or tournaments. Yeah, yeah, lag could be a problem, but if tournaments can fit a total of 64 people, then there is literally no excuse applicable to contradict this. 4v4 would be kinda cool, don't you think? Or even 2v2v2v2, or simply an 8-player free-for-all. The possibilities are there, just not tampered with.

Overall, I'd say this update is great! All of the reasons explained above are just small potatoes to me (except for the winning requirements and how long it takes for a tournament to start). Overall, it still needs small improvements and implements to make it something extravagant.

Last edited:

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Pretty under-baked mode. I totally agree with the posters saying that the 'regular' tournaments should either start when it fills up, or maybe implement a small period in which to drop out without penalty (say, set the timer to 2 minutes to give a minute you can drop for free if necessary. That spot will still fill in the time given, I assure you).

Customs on without equipment is something that can be done with the coding already in place (I'm pretty sure Master Orders HRC and Target Blast turn off equipment but keep custom moves, but I'll have to check), so setting it up to do that shouldn't be too difficult. Give us an option for "Custom Specials" and one for "Custom Equipment", changing the icons to match (use the Specials icon from Custom, and I suppose the shield for Equipment), and that should work.

Of course, with the system in place, I've been running my nasty Ganondorf with Critical Hit capabilities and doing pretty decent. Generally, he sucks in 1v1, but with CH, when he hits it hurts really bad.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Is it me or are you limited to only joining the tournies depending on where you are in the world? Swear it feels like I'm only seeing tournies from Europe cause I'm seeing a serious lack of players fighting when its quite late for me.

That also sucks cause it means I won't be able to join tournies from north america and get in on the action more, and pretty much everyone from there plays at my time around now (1.20am)

Last edited:

XxPONYPWNRxX

Smash Rookie
NNID
XxPONYPWNRxX
i find it very bad, so much things they could add without much effort.
1v1 tournaments (not Nintendo made ones)
2v2 tournaments
offline tournaments
etc...

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
Is it me or are you limited to only joining the tournies depending on where you are in the world? Swear it feels like I'm only seeing tournies from Europe cause I'm seeing a serious lack of players fighting when its quite late for me.

That also sucks cause it means I won't be able to join tournies from north america and get in on the action more, and pretty much everyone from there plays at my time around now (1.20am)
No? I joined a tourney made from a guy from United Kingdom.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
I just dealt with the biggest pile of horse**** EVER in a tournament:

Custom Fox with:
- Home Run Bat equip
- First Striker
- Quick Batter

The strategy was brainless. Use laser for First Striker invincibility, then swing for the fences with unpunishable bat swings. This is what's wrong with customs.

Last edited:

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
It's so hard to get into the tournament you want to play. I'v noticed that anyone who is any good won't use badges though... I fought one guy with badges and he sucked, prolly a lil kid. So hopefully "no badges" becomes a trend and people just ignore them. They honestly don't seem to help people much because they always drop another star.
Are you referring to custom equipment? I've got plenty of sets with no drawbacks, around +20 per stat.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm just saying, I'm glad this is [most likely] Sakurai's last Sm4sh game. He finds a way to **** up the simplest of things. And to think, it took him THIS LONG to make this ****ty of a system. Seriously, you guys need to realize that he's not the godly developer that you all think he is. There are a million other people who could've done this entire game better than he did. His ideology is backwards and his creativity is dead. He made great games once, but he is long past his prime. Smash bros has such a defined formula, it's hard to mess up...and yet here the creator is, messing it up. They better fix this soon. And by they, I mean his team, not him because you know he doesn't want to.

Lapsy143

Smash Rookie
I'm just saying, I'm glad this is [most likely] Sakurai's last Sm4sh game. He finds a way to **** up the simplest of things. And to think, it took him THIS LONG to make this ****ty of a system. Seriously, you guys need to realize that he's not the godly developer that you all think he is. There are a million other people who could've done this entire game better than he did. His ideology is backwards and his creativity is dead. He made great games once, but he is long past his prime. Smash bros has such a defined formula, it's hard to mess up...and yet here the creator is, messing it up. They better fix this soon. And by they, I mean his team, not him because you know he doesn't want to.
Wow, thats a harsh statement. And y'know, I have to agree. This is my first Smash game, but surely didn't leave the greatest impression when it comes to all of this. I always try to find loopholes in everything, but yeah, its not amazing. He should let his team do some stuff, and not him. He just is the face of the game, now not the creator.

Top Bottom