• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

whats better?

-PM-

Smash Ace
recently when ever someone goes to dash-A me i sweep A if im near a ledge (normally in FD) then back kick them. What i used to do is grab them out of the shield. What do you think is better mainly i think the sweep kick is only used as a mind game but it sometimes works against fast fallers and characters with bad recovery.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
By sweep A, I'm guessing you mean dtilt. Whatever it is, shield grabbing them is a lot better since you have more options. You could chainthrow them with up throw if they're a fast faller or dthrow into an fair or upair combo if they are a floater. If you want you could even do a bthrow into a bair. It's a better way to accomplish what you're trying to do with the sweep since there's a better chance that they'll go far away from the edge.

-PM-

Smash Ace
no i mean like the sweep kick dock has when hes crouching and you hit A but yea i figured it wasnt the best thing to do just a mind game that could come in handy and it works better at higher percents because it sends you flying behind you and down so they would have to use there jump then you could bair them then take there edge.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
you mean d-tilt, trust me :) Its the same thing

Yeah, shield grab is almost always better, or jab->grab if you can time it right.

-PM-

Smash Ace
i know im just saying its a change up but yes sheild grab is always better but isnt down tilt the same as down smash or the drill kick in air im confused lol

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
A Dtilt is when you press A while your character is ducking on the ground.

Sheild grabbing is better because, like WhatIsPie? said, you have more options from it.

-PM-

Smash Ace
oh ok that was a mistake by my part thank you. but i really think if you right next to the edge and you opponent is a good 120% + if you Dtilt then jump after and bair him then recover it COULD come in handy maybe but i know the sheild grab has way more possible combo game then my option

pockyD

Smash Legend
it works well because most people don't expect it

if they expect it they can DI enough such that it won't be as effective as a grab

pockyD

Smash Legend
d-throw/u-throw (depends what char) -> bair? -_-

and if they DI in front, uair chain to fair or just fair (or even just regrab if they were at a really low percentage)

point is the dtilt is only better if it catches them off guard

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
Yea, Down tilt is almost never expected, and if you arent very good at acting out of a throw then you should down tilt if it sets you up for a edgeguard considering doc is a good edgeguarder...I will use downtilt instead of the downsmash if i am in the correct position and at the right damage...

Top Bottom