• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's better? DSmash or Whirling fortress?

What's better?

• Total voters

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
Don't know but I have a feeling that whirling fortress is better. What's better?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Generally speaking, fortress is a much better move than Down smash, more active frames, less cool-down, it moves around, the difference is power is fairly negligible, and the fortress can not only bypass shield-release frames when used OOS, but it's also 4 frames faster on start-up. The main thing that Dsmash has on fortress is that it's disjointed during the entire move, where fortress only has a disjoint on the very last hit. Dsmash has it's niche uses as a mix-up and edge-guarding tool, but the fortress is considerably more versatile.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Depends on the application, of course. It's hard to ask which is better between two different moves in smash unless you're talking about custom options.

Fortress is the OoS choice. It's by far Bowser's fastest move to use when actively pressured. But sometimes my opponent will catch on and use empty hops into shield or double jumps before landing to avoid the fortress and punish.

Dsmash I don't use very much. My go to moves when sitting at the ledge waiting for them to recover are Dair and Bowser Bomb. But if I'm not at the ledge in time, I'll Dsmash in hopes of catching a ledge roll with the long, multihitboxes. As long as I use it in advance, it's actually rare that I get punished for it when they choose another option. That's really all I think Dsmash is good at. Catching dodge rolls. And possibly for catching certain quick attacks that you know are coming, like Fox's illusion low to the ground.

Whirling Fortress recovers from excellent distances in Smash 4...Not dying is cool, so my vote goes to that.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Fortress is miles safer than DSmash. Miss with Fortress and you can at least still move around. Miss with DSmash and you're a sitting koopa duck.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Fortress is Bowser's default OOS option when he shields an aerial (that's not safe on shield) or when, for whatever reason, an enemy jumps onto you.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I accidentally misvoted, but Fortress is better by far.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
It depends on the situation, but in every situation except edgeguarding Fortress is better.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I've edgeguarded space animals with fortress before. I find it more useful and more successful than DSmash.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I've edgeguarded space animals with fortress before. I find it more useful and more successful than DSmash.
Really? Are you talking about their side Bs specifically? If there's a way these attacks can hit them as they Fire Fox their way to the ledge, I've not heard of it.

I think one advantage of the Dsmash is, if you know your opponent will be on you in the next moment as you anticipate a dodge roll or air dodge, Dsmash(16%) clocks a bit more damage than Fortress(11%) does. And while charging smash attacks is often regarded as scrubby, delaying the move can have excellent results if the opponent reacts incorrectly. And Fortress can't be charged for any sort of fake out. Dsmash can also KO off the top at extreme percents (150+) and earlier than that if you hit on top of platforms. I'd bet Dsmash can beat incoming Uairs from non-sword wielders as the move catches extended hurtboxes.

Looking at the poll results, they suggest that Dsmash is a useless attack, when we can all agree it's not. The only thing I'd change about it is giving the attack a more horizontal angle of knockback. Bowser's flying slam, Usmash, Bowser Bomb, Uair and Dair ensure he has no trouble killing opponents vertically. But I feel like he needs more moves that reliably launch enemies into an edgeguard scenario. Bowser is scary offstage and sitting on a ledge. When you just knock opponents above you, Bowser has a hard time catching landings and baiting air dodges. Especially on Battlefield where the condensed platforms of the stage give fallers a lot of options.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
It was during side b and when their ledge invincibility was used up. The latter being by accident but yeah

to be fair, any application for dsmash (roll in, airdodge in) allows for a much better option like usmash or fsmash or something. But i guess since the question is asking specifically about dsmash that doesn't matter

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Really? Are you talking about their side Bs specifically? If there's a way these attacks can hit them as they Fire Fox their way to the ledge, I've not heard of it.

I think one advantage of the Dsmash is, if you know your opponent will be on you in the next moment as you anticipate a dodge roll or air dodge, Dsmash(16%) clocks a bit more damage than Fortress(11%) does. And while charging smash attacks is often regarded as scrubby, delaying the move can have excellent results if the opponent reacts incorrectly. And Fortress can't be charged for any sort of fake out. Dsmash can also KO off the top at extreme percents (150+) and earlier than that if you hit on top of platforms. I'd bet Dsmash can beat incoming Uairs from non-sword wielders as the move catches extended hurtboxes.

Looking at the poll results, they suggest that Dsmash is a useless attack, when we can all agree it's not. The only thing I'd change about it is giving the attack a more horizontal angle of knockback. Bowser's flying slam, Usmash, Bowser Bomb, Uair and Dair ensure he has no trouble killing opponents vertically. But I feel like he needs more moves that reliably launch enemies into an edgeguard scenario. Bowser is scary offstage and sitting on a ledge. When you just knock opponents above you, Bowser has a hard time catching landings and baiting air dodges. Especially on Battlefield where the condensed platforms of the stage give fallers a lot of options.
Charging smashes isn't scrubby. It's often an essential tactic.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Charging smashes isn't scrubby. It's often an essential tactic.
Hence why I mentioned it. Dsmash can be charged, unlike Fortress. It is a nice bonus even if players don't make use of charging in general.

As long as we're talking about rating and comparing moves, I'd love to draw attention to this thread. What a fun concept.

Top Bottom