• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you like to see in a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
  • I'd like the the theoretical Smash to not have unlock battles for secret characters. It felt like those CPUs were level 9, which is more than some players, myself included, can handle. Just make secret characters available from the start, and I don't care if this breaks tradition.
  • I'd want counters to be more difficult to employ. Say, only a 10-frame window for all counter attacks.
  • Make it so one never collects the same trophies and other collectibles more than once.
  • If :4peach: plucks a Bob-omb with down special, it should not harm her when she hits with it.
  • What about some stages based on Mario Party series? Some of the Bowser-themed boards would really be something.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
My most wanted: A Ranking System for Online.
Why they didn't do this is beyond me, and it'd be ten times better than the statistics/score card we have now. It would help a lot more when it comes to the matchmaking. Sure we may still encounter some spammers, campers, and others who have managed to climb the ranks but we'd also get players that are around our skill level much easier. Plus trying to climb the ranks would be fun!

Next: A return of Adventure Mode.
This will probably be pretty unlikely and I'm certainly not expecting it to be like Brawls; however I would enjoy it if it happened.

Ice Climbers, Please?
They were already being worked on before having to be scrapped due to limitations, so this isn't too unlikely to happen especially if the Switch port is it's "own game" (meaning it wouldn't have to share anything with the Wii U or 3DS). Put 'em in!.... Please?

Some Smaller, Possible Ideas...:
--- I'd really enjoy it if our Replays didn't get killed off whenever a new Update comes along if it's possible.

--- Some more Stages would be nice. They wouldn't even have to be new Stages, and I would gladly buy "Stage DLC Packs" that give you some old Stages from the original, Melee, and/or Brawl. Heck even some from the 3DS would be pretty nice too.

--- I never understood why it's Goldeen that comes out of the Masterball, and would like it if it were changed to Magikarp.

--- Make it to where you don't collect the same Custom Move more than once. Please. I'm begging you. The game is two years old now and I'm pretty sure I don't have all the Custom Moves yet because I continually get the same ones no matter what...

--- Speaking of which, give the DLC Characters Custom Moves?

--- Assuming we don't get any new characters at all, I'd like it if we got some special color swaps/skins instead. Toon Links Outset Island outfit, Hyrule Warriors versions for the Zelda characters, original Sonic, Meowser, etc like that would be pretty nice.

--- Maybe an addition of an "Ultra Beast Ball" as a new item from Pokemon Sun/Moon? Imagine how terrifying that'd be...

--- Perhaps more and/or new Achievements?

--- Maybe one or two new mini-games. Maybe bring back "Board the Platforms"? It could even be like they did with Target Blast by giving it Three Stages to choose from. I dunno, I just sort of miss that one quite a lot as it was my favorite mini-game to play.

Last edited:

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Just bring back Wolf and I'll be satisfied & happy also add an adventure mode or story mode and maybe bring smash run to the switch.

_Jack_

Smash Cadet
First of all, if Smash 4 gets ported to the Switch, there won't be any character or moveset changes. Sure, there will hopefully be a balance patch, but they're not going to go and give characters entirely new moves. Mario won't get Melee Down B back, Link won't get his old Boomerang back, etc. However, this is what I would like to see.

1. New characters. I have a strong feeling that, if Smash 4 Switch becomes a thing, we're going to be getting some new characters to go along with it, because the best way to get somebody who already has the game to buy a whole new copy of Smash 4 is to put in a couple of new characters, let's be honest. Whether or not they would be version exclusive depends on just exactly how much control Sakurai has over this game (if he's even working on the port to begin with). If Sakurai is heading the port, I could honestly see him wanting to put the new characters in all of the games, due to his insistence upon keeping the rosters the same between all versions of Smash 4. However, if Sakurai isn't heading the port or Nintendo forces Sakurai to do it, then the new characters will be Switch exclusive. I don't think we'd get a lot of characters, though. I'd guess probably like 2-3. Definitely not more than 3, though. Ideally, I'd like to have three new characters. The first would be a returning veteran, the Ice Climbers. Sakurai said they were complete for the Wii U version, so it wouldn't be that much trouble to take the completed Ice Climbers, maybe do some polish and balancing with them, and put them in the Switch version. The second would be a Nintendo newcomer. Probably a character that is appearing in a Switch game. I don't really know who I'd want. But, please. No more Fire Emblem characters. We really don't need another one. The third would be a third party newcomer. The limit's the sky for this one, honestly. If Sakurai can get Cloud Strife in Smash, then he can get just about anybody. The character I'd personally want is Sora, but Disney likely won't allow it.

2. A Melee-esque adventure mode. I know Sakurai wouldn't do another adventure mode like Subspace, so I thought: "Why not give us a Melee Adventure mode"? Melee's adventure mode was always so fun, getting to go through each Nintendo world and all. Maybe, they could even spice it up a little and there could be multiple exits leading to multiple stages. Smash 4's single player is rather lacking, in my opinion, and this would be a great way to remedy that.

3. More stages. Please give us more stages, especially ones for the lesser universes. Both bring back old ones and make new ones. Also, please allow the option to turn stage hazards off so that stages like Pyrosphere, Wily Castle, and Midgar can be tournament legal.

4. Better online. There are two major fixes that need to happen to Smash's online. One, the servers need to be much better. I can access the internet fine on every single other one of my devices. My computer, my phone, my Xbox 360, my PS4, etc. However, why is it that the Wii U gives me issues? You can't go five matches on For Glory without running into lag that makes the game next to unplayable. The servers need to be made much better and they need to do something where they pair people up based on how good their connection is. If your internet connection is good, you'll get paired up with people who also have a good internet connection. If it's bad, you'll get paired up with people that also have bad internet connections. Second, matchmaking needs to be improved considerably. I'm not trying to sound like an elitist here. I will be the first one to admit there are thousands upon thousands of people in this world who could (and would) absolutely demolish me at Smash. However, I'm more than capable of beating all the Side-B warrior Little Macs, spamming Links, etc. that are out there. So, why do I keep getting paired up with them? I know I may sound foolish due to how infamous For Glory's reputation is but, if the matchmaking actually matched you up with players around your skill level, it would be a decent way to practice.

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
We must see ice climbers return.
Then we can have Snake and uhh.... Pichu I guess.
As far as patches go, I'm fine with the game as is. Well, fine enough to not think a patch is a necessity. If any character-specific buffs were made, Puff would have to be first. Any nerfs, bayo/cloud would be first.
Really I would want the game to contain less jank (which makes sense if Switch is a 'superior' version). Move connecting with more consistency would be nice (and I'm not talking about nerfing SDI or anything. Improved consistency to moves like Duck Hunt's smashes, Sheik Fsmash, a lot of jabs, etc.).

I would also nerf nearly every recovery in the game. High priority on recovery moves in this game, combined with ledge trumping and incredible range+huge ledge magnets, is my least favorite mechanic decision. To name a few: Bayonetta, Corrin, Mario, GAME AND WATCH all have upBs that are incredibly powerful. Decreased hitbox sizes, less range, less/no invincibility frames on most upBs. I would also change sideBs with recovery capabilities to act like similar downBs, where you have to touch the ground to use them again. Example: Bayonetta/Bowser Jr./Fox sideBs becoming more like shiek/ZSS downBs. The goal would be to encourage and strengthen offstage play and edgeguarding.

My dream smash game runs like smash 4, with weaker recoveries but an extra mechanic: sliding. Equate sliding to melee airdodges, putting characters in freefall in the air but allowing for complex movement techniques on the ground. But, I know that's never gonna happen, switch or no.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Nah, Corrin IS taking up Pichu's roster slot.
That's the sound of my hand hitting my forehead with extreme force.

There is no such thing as "roster slots." One character getting in has absolutely no bearing on another's, especially when they're as unrelated as Corrin and Pichu. I can say with certainty that when Corrin was chosen for Smash 4, no one on Sakurai's team said, "Oh well, since Corrin is in, I guess we'll put Pichu in the next game."

What makes you think Pichu was even considered in Smash 4?

Pikifan4IndigoCobra57

Smash Apprentice
That's the sound of my hand hitting my forehead with extreme force.

There is no such thing as "roster slots." One character getting in has absolutely no bearing on another's, especially when they're as unrelated as Corrin and Pichu. I can say with certainty that when Corrin was chosen for Smash 4, no one on Sakurai's team said, "Oh well, since Corrin is in, I guess we'll put Pichu in the next game."

What makes you think Pichu was even considered in Smash 4?
Its kinda a joke, but also, since unless there were actual riots, we would get no sm4sh DLC after the ballot winner reveal. The joke is that they claimed Roy was decloned but I still feel like he plays a bit like Marth, and sm4sh loves its clones so.....Pichu. Anyway, Corrin got in only beause Sakurai's team was saying that Corrin would have an interesting moveset. I swear to god I would have rather had Everdred, Boy & Blob, Burt Thompson, Angela Orosco, or even frikin Elise The Princess instead of Corrin.

Edit: In hindsight, since I'd actually like to see everyone I named except Elise in the Smash roster, that was probably a bad example.

Last edited:

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
I'd really love to see the game keep track user-name stats in addition to character stats like they did in melee. Not sure why they removed that feature.

Removal of stage hazards.

Working online.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I know we won't be getting anything new. It'll be a port.
at least if I convince myself of that now, I won't be disappointed later if they do put something in...

What I'd like to see:
  • An actual classic mode. I preferred Melee's style with the set battle types (1v1, 2v2, etc) and random opponents.
  • More for single-player modes. SmashRun was decent, so I'd like that to get ported at least; I don't even remember what the WiiU version had so it obviously wasn't that impressive.
In terms of characters... I know they're not going to do anything, but...
  • Didn't they get the IC's made? Why not bring them in since the work is done?
  • I preferred the combined characters (Zelda/Shiek) together. Brawl's transformation characters took forever to load since they each had to be loaded from disc, so now will the cartridged help that? In Melee, she was able to transform quickly, so it'd be fun if they fixed them both to load simultaneously so we could get combos involving the transformations with Zelda's power and projectiles with Shiek's speed and recovery options.
  • On that note - Pokémon Trainer! I miss Squirtle so much!
  • I know they're not making any more newcomers, but I'm still going to pull for K.Rool and Ridley to eventually get their days.
  • An actual moveset for the Dorf. It still hurts to see the awesome beast from Hyrule Warriors come out a month before Smash's old Captain Falcon. (And that game still interests me as opposed to others...hmm) Wouldn't mind also seeing a bit more de-cloning in terms of specials/FS moves for the rest of the cast (LANDMASTER!, Link and FakeLink)
I know there's not much coming, but I'd want something new that we didn't have before, otherwise why should we buy it all over again?

And as a final note, which will never happen in a million years... the first joke I heard about Skyrim on Switch was "Dovahkiin for Smash!" Normally I don't like guests, but there are always exceptions to be made. Particularly if this includes an event match where player-as-Dovahkiin needs to fight Giant Ridley with a black recolor...

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I doubt Nintendo would ever do this, but I think this would be a neat way to give everyone what they want in a Smash Bros. for the Switch. The two biggest rumors right now are a third iteration of Sm4sh (more likely) or an HD remake of Melee. So, as the meme goes, why not both?

Super Smash Bros. x Super Smash Bros. Melee

When you highlight over a character that is in both games you get to choose between their Smash 4 iteration or their Melee iteration. Choosing Toon Link lets you choose between Toon Link (4) and Young Link (Melee), and choosing Pikachu lets you choose between Pikachu (4), Pikachu (Melee) and Pichu (Melee). Ice Climbers are a special case, noted below.

I'd really like to see this integrated into the main game as much as possible but if it needs to be separate for multiple reasons (not enough costumes for 8-player mode, how would the old characters handle the new items?) it could be a side mode without items like 8-player smash technically was - all compiled by itself to go straight into for tournaments.

New Characters

I'd say about 6-7 new characters, two of which would be the Ice Climbers and Wolf. When you select Ice Climbers, you can choose between their new iteration or their Melee model.

Another character I would add would be Pheromosa, who would basically be a palette swap of Bayonetta.

Here's my reasoning - if Nintendo wants to keep Smash 4 as an E10+ game on the Switch, Bayonetta, despite how popular she is, has to remain DLC-only. Between the nature of her games, however toned down they may be, and the name of at least one of the songs on the Umbra Clock Tower stage (Let's Hit The Climax), the ESRB could bump this up to T. It's complicated, but worth noting that in the Final Smash direct they had a "this content has not been rated yet but might be rated T" at the very beginning. A T rating isn't on its own controversial but when the 3DS and Wii U versions were already E 10+ and this is basically the same game, I could see some kinda craziness ensuing.

Also Pokemon needs a Sun and Moon rep - idk how popular the Ultra Beasts are but 01 and the 02s were pretty hyped in the previews.

Character Costumes

Not gonna say much about this other than it's weird that Little Mac is the only character in the current game that has more than 8 costumes. Give Wario some more colors like he had in Brawl. Make Daisy an official palette/voice swap for Peach, stuff like that.

Stages

Most of the stages, if not all of them, would be present from both the 3DS and Wii U versions. There might be one or two that are redundant but I can't think of many - I'm not sure we need both Coliseum and Arena Ferox and I'd keep the latter with an HD upgrade to resemble the former. In addition, there would be more returning stages from older games, specifically the ones used in Melee's tournaments and possibly Big Blue and Saffron City.

Items

I can't think of a whole lot that needs to be updated here except maybe a few Sun and Moon Pokemon and one or two new assist trophies. My main concern is how the Melee models would interact with new items, which is why I thought of having "cross-Melee" as a side mode without items. It's mainly for the competitive side anyway and they play without them.

That's all I have for now :)

Last edited:

Pixlemaster

Smash Rookie
I want snake, squirtle, ivysaur, king K. Rool, inklings (one with a shooter, one with a charger, and one with a roller), Ridley, ice climbers, wolf, a Pokémon from sun and moon, tails, knuckles, daisy, shovel knight, banjo and kazooie, waluigi, shantae, Steve from minecraft, shrek and goku (last two are jokes)

And of course BUFF THE PUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom