• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you do if ur laptop is getting slower and slower?

ammie

Smash Cadet
I don't know what I did wrong. It's so slow. Its hard drive is not even half full yet.

SoleSM

Smash Rookie
There are countless reasons as to why you are experiencing performance issues with your machine. Before I make any assumptions, I would like to ask you a few questions about your laptop.

What operating system are you currently using on it?

Assuming it is a Windows machine, do you have any antivirus installed on it?

If your answer is yes, when was the last time you scanned your machine for malware?

Have you restarted your computer recently?

Do you notice a lot of programs start up when you boot your machine?

Do you run any de-fragmentation and/or computer "cleaning" type programs?

What do you use your computer for? (Example: web browsing, typing documents, playing games etc.)

Some of the answers to these questions may seem obvious to you and I don't mean to sound offensive if they are easy questions. I currently work at a tech support job and I help resolve these questions a lot throughout my work day. Please write back with your answers and I would be glad to continue to help troubleshoot your issue. :)

ammie

Smash Cadet
I'm using windows vista.
I have AVG(free version), Anti-malware.
Last time I scan was abt 1 month ago.
I restart my system just a while ago for software update.
I have abt 5-6 programs start with system but tones are services.

Is there any cleaning software that is effective and free?

I usually use my laptop for web browsing.

SoleSM

Smash Rookie
In my personal experience with AVG, I never liked using it. I'm not sure if their quality has improved. I have not used it in years since I switched over to Avast anti-virus but I could be wrong. I would try scanning with it again though just in case recently your computer has been getting bogged down with infections.

As far as any programs I would recommend using, google search "ccleaner" and "Malwarebytes". Ccleaner is a freeware tool made by Piriform, a reputable company, that is designed to "make your computer faster and more secure." (quoting the website) I've used it for a few years now and it has done a good job cleaning up my computer. Piriform also makes a defragmentation program called "Defraggler" that, in my opinion, is much better than the default defragging software that comes with Windows. Malwarebytes is a free-ish anti-malware program that, in my past experience, does an effective job thoroughly scanning your machine for the latest virus threats that are out there. The reason I say the program is "free-ish" is because you could purchase the program, but the free version does, in fact, remove the viruses from your machine unlike most shareware anti-virus programs.

Another thing you can try to do is remove some programs you have running on startup. I don't know if you have a lot of programs running on start up, but to select what you would and would not like to start: Search "msconfig" in the search bar on your start menu. Select the first option you see on the list (there will most likely only be the one option) or you could also click "Run" and enter "msconfig" if you have that option in your start menu to get the same result. A "System Configuration" window should open. Click on the tab labeled "startup" near the top right corner of the window. Any options that are checked are currently running on startup. You can disable them from starting on boot by unchecking one of the boxes, clicking "OK" and restarting your computer.

Running "chkdsk" is another option that may help your situation. Chkdsk is designed to scan your hard drive for bad sectors and repair them if there are any. To start chkdsk, click on your start menu and click "Computer". You should now see a window with a list of drives. Right-click on your local drive (normally labeled as the "C:" drive) and hit "Properties". Click on the "tools" tab and click "Check now". Make sure both options are checked (you'll probably have to check the bottom option) and click "Start". It will probably ask you to restart the machine to run chkdsk properly. Let the machine restart and scan your PC. Chkdsk can take quite awhile normally so I would suggest finding something to do while you wait for it.

These are just a few solutions I would try to help speed up my PC. I hope you find these tips helpful in speeding up your machine.

ammie

Smash Cadet
I checked my hard drive and restarted the system, but when I tried to turn it off, it just semi frozed. I can move my mouse but I can't do any activities. It does that alot recently and everytime I have to force it to turn off in the end coz I don't have a reboot button on my laptop.:urg:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
I'm using windows vista.
I have AVG(free version), Anti-malware.
Last time I scan was abt 1 month ago.
I restart my system just a while ago for software update.
I have abt 5-6 programs start with system but tones are services.

Is there any cleaning software that is effective and free?

I usually use my laptop for web browsing.
There's your problem. Seriously, Vista is balls. I have the same thing with mine getting super slow over time, it isn't so bad right now but my laptop still has 2184192889 annoying problems. Get a new computer.

P.S. Sole, would you be able to help me out? My Vista's beefing me too. As soon as it's unplugged, it dies. It doesn't even read the battery anymore, and I know my battery itself is fine.

SoleSM

Smash Rookie
P.S. Sole, would you be able to help me out? My Vista's beefing me too. As soon as it's unplugged, it dies. It doesn't even read the battery anymore, and I know my battery itself is fine.
What model is your laptop Sinister? Perhaps there is a bad connection where your battery should be connected to, assuming that your battery is perfectly fine of course. While the chances are extremely unlikely, do you know anyone with the same model laptop? You could always try switching your battery with a friend's if you have the same laptop. It sounds like a hardware issue to me, which I think you would have to call the manufacturer for in order to get it fixed.

ammie said:
I checked my hard drive and restarted the system, but when I tried to turn it off, it just semi frozed. I can move my mouse but I can't do any activities. It does that alot recently and everytime I have to force it to turn off in the end coz I don't have a reboot button on my laptop.
Were you able to perform a virus scan at all? If your computer keeps freezing up, you could always try booting into safe mode. If you aren't able to regular boot, try running your anti-virus program in safe mode. To get into safe mode, hold F8 on your keyboard after the BIOS screen goes away. The BIOS screen is just the very very first screen you see when you restart (or power on) your machine. You will get a list of options, black screen with white text. Find the option that says "safe mode with networking" because you will still have connectivity to the network if you need to download programs to help in repairing your computer while still being in safe mode.

SoleSM

Smash Rookie
I just have a few more questions about your machine. Did you notice the decrease in performance before or after you updated your machine? If after, what was the last update you did to your machine before updating it? I honestly don't think it has to do with the update but I have had a few instances where a Microsoft update ran my machine into the ground.

As for a more likely approach, Windows Vista is a resource hog. It is arguably, though I don't think many would disagree, a down-right horrible operating system. I'm not sure what programs you are running on start up but I would recommend taking all of them off to improve performance unless you absolutely need them for whatever reason.

On top of removing all of your programs from start up, I want you to try tweaking the visual affects for Windows Vista. These affects surprisingly do slow your machine down and if you don't have a high-end laptop, you'll probably notice the difference. Go to your Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Performance and Information Tools (You might have to set your Control Panel to "Classic View" to see it) -> Adjust Visual Effects (should be an option on the left-hand side of the window.) From here, make sure you are on the tab labeled "Visual Effects" (It should default to that tab) and select the option "Adjust for best performance." This will make your machine look like Windows 98 but the ultimate goal is performance, not appearance.

If you sucessfully carry out both of these tasks and are still having freezing issues, try to describe what it is you are exactly doing when the computer froze. Try to replicate your laptop's issue so we can find out if it is linked to something more specific.

ammie

Smash Cadet
I don't have much programs at all n I never install them on C:/ . I only have 68 programs installed, 2.86G in total.
loads of programs that come along with the system. I don't know if they r deletable or not, but I know I never use them. eg. Power2Go, Cyberlink LablePrint, Express Gate, Lightscribe system drive, ect. I really don't know what else I can delete from my system...

I can't remeber right now if it's before or after update but I will pay attention to that from now on.
It takes 3 minutes to "prepare" after I log in my system everytime I start the laptop, during which time I can't do anything otherwise it will froze or "no response" for a long time. I made that "mistake" before and I ended up rebooting...
I also have this bugging me for a long time: before it appears the login system screen, there's always a screen asks me to "ctrl+ alt+ del" for security's sake. I have to do that to go to login screen. And that's not over. After I login, another screen tells me when was the last time I login my system and I have to click on confirm button to finally access my system...:urg:

SoleSM

Smash Rookie
Concerning your last two issues I cannot say I have experienced them before, or perhaps I am just misunderstanding what exactly these issues are. What model is your laptop? Also is there anything more specific you can tell me about these two issues in particular, like a quoted message from the two screens?

The only other way I can think of to salvage your machine is to completely write your laptop's hard drive to 0 (make sure everything is backed up elsewhere first) and reinstall Windows Vista, assuming you have an installation CD. The only thing you might have to do after reformatting is install a few drivers manually.

ammie

Smash Cadet
I don't have a system CD...

that happened after i used avg pc tune up, i'm not sure what setting i changed that day but after i tuned it up, all the files on my D:/ are gone with only the empty folders left. The login screens become like that since then as well too...

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Wipe it clean (reformat) and reinstall the operating system. If you can, I'd recommend buying Windows 7, but otherwise, get ahold of a Windows Vista OEM install disc that matches your version and install it using the serial number on the back of your PC. Guaranteed to bring it back up to full speed.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Quite possibly just Windows Rot: The well known phenomenon that Windows machines will gradually get slower over time.

Wipe it clean and reinstall.

Oh, and dust out the physical box, too. I've seen computers that overheat b/c fans are stuck, and slow down cpu operations to compensate.

SoleSM

Smash Rookie
Oh, and dust out the physical box, too. I've seen computers that overheat b/c fans are stuck, and slow down cpu operations to compensate.
That's actually a really good idea that I forgot to mention. I just recently dusted out my machine because I noticed my GPU was running a little hotter than it should be. While gaming, pre-dusting it was running near 85 degrees Celsius but now it runs at a much cooler 65 degrees Celsius post-dusting.

ammie

Smash Cadet
Hi guys I just noticed that if I don't turn on my laptop everyday, it will freeze during the first activity I do after I log in my system. eg. I log in my laptop on monday, and tuesday but I didn't use it on wensday or/and thursday, so when I log in my system on thursday or friday, the first thing I do after I successfully log in is opening firefox and then my firefox will freeze, I can't do nothing, not even run taskmanager and I have to turn my laptop off and restart it again... why is that?

SoleSM

Smash Rookie
I definitely agree with AltF4 here. Wiping your system and reinstalling Windows is probably your best bet to fix any and all problems you are currently experiencing with your machine.

Top Bottom