• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Will The Next Smash Bros Be Called?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Brawl 2: Electric Boogaloo

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
My personal theory is: Super Smash Brothers Duæl. Yes with an "æ" (ash).

Here is why:

-It makes it sound like "duel" a word synonymous to fight words like Melee, Brawl and such; to continue the tradition.
-It sounds like "dual" as it will be present on both Wii U and 3DS.
-On both systems you need 2 screens, again the "dual" word being present.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
My personal theory is: Super Smash Brothers Duæl. Yes with an "æ" (ash).

Here is why:

-It makes it sound like "duel" a word synonymous to fight words like Melee, Brawl and such; to continue the tradition.
-It sounds like "dual" as it will be present on both Wii U and 3DS.
-On both systems you need 2 screens, again the "dual" word being present.

Actually this is a very sound idea. I am betting my internetz on this guy, although with an "a" or an "e" (SSB Duel or SSB Dual) not that weird a, e fusion.

Most probable would be Duel in my opinion

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guys! I got it!

Super Smash Bros SMASH!!!! (That's in all caps.)

:awesome:

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
I'm still hardset on Super Smash Bros Quarrel, as a quarrel is a type of battle and Quad=Four

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Why guess when we only got 2 days left til the reveal? I'm passive bout it.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Actually this is a very sound idea. I am betting my internetz on this guy, although with an "a" or an "e" (SSB Duel or SSB Dual) not that weird a, e fusion.

Most probable would be Duel in my opinion
Thanks! You are of the few to not bash me. Forgot to say, that they say both versions (3DS and Wii U) can interact between eachother, so again the dual thing.

Though lately I have been thinking it will be Collide or Collision as Collide is behind the Brawl box.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I am dissapointed they are only told apart by the "for Wii U-for 3DS" thing. Or at least it seems for now.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I guess they named themselves into a corner with Melee and Brawl, not a lot else without getting a name that's a bit more 'high impact'

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Super Smash Bros : Friendly Argument That Escalated Quickly Into A Fist Fight Among Peers

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
I have heard so many names that its just obvious that the fina name will dissapoint a lot of people. It is impossible to make everyone happy. I think Super Smash Bros 4 would be a good decision, like mario kart 8

ShowdownBro721

Smash Rookie
My choices for each game would be "Super Smash Bros. Showdown" for the Wii U version, and "Super Smash Bros. Rumble" for the 3DS version. If I can suggest the Japanese names, maybe have "Dairanto Smash Brothers HD" (Wii U) and "Dairanto Smash Brothers 3D" (3DS).

antechamber

Smash Rookie
Well I'm thinking they will choose a simple name so hmm some of the ones I can think of are...
SSB Fight
SSB Kick
SSB Punch
SSB Strike or Struck
SSB Collision or Collide
SSB Slash (although maybe this could be a little too violent)
SSB Slam
SSB Crush

These are the simple names that I could think of so far, but I'll admit some of you guys suggestions sound better than mine.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I am dissapointed they are only told apart by the "for Wii U-for 3DS" thing. Or at least it seems for now.
This, very much so. For some reason, the addition of the term "for" irritates me a little because of how awkward the titles sound when said in full... If the Super Title 64 Advance trope is going to be utilized for the 2 iterations of SSB4, then the games should just be plainly named Super Smash Bros. Wii U and Super Smash Bros. 3DS ("3D" would follow suit with a lot of other 3DS games released lately, but IMO '3D' by itself seems weird because the games are technically already in 3D, merely using a different type of '3D'). I'm really hoping that the E3 2013 names are just placeholders for the moment...

I guess they named themselves into a corner with Melee and Brawl, not a lot else without getting a name that's a bit more 'high impact'
It appears so; I personally thought that this happened with the naming of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as "Brawl" sounds a little more 'common' than the not-often-heard term of "Melee". Super Smash Bros. Melee was the first instance where I even found out that the term "melee" even existed! XD I think this could have been delayed a little if Brawl had used the title of Super Smash Bros. Revolution, the game's pre-release name (I remember seeing it in an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine once)... It follows the trend with a lot of Wii games which took on the "Revolution" subtitle (a subtle reference to the Wii's codename, "Nintendo Revolution") and doesn't seem out of place for a subtitle, at least in my opinion. Then "Brawl" could have been saved as the subtitle for SSB4...

-----

In any case, if Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS is intended to serve as a placeholder title, then my suggestions are:
1. Super Smash Bros. Revolution
An adequate title IMO. Although the Wii U had the codename of "Project Cafe", the console still references the Wii and uses some Wii peripherals, so the title could still make sense. I don't think a "platform indicator" like 'Wii U' or '3DS' at the end would be needed, as I've seen other multiplatform games share the exact same title without a need for indicating the console.

2. Super Smash Bros. Universe (Wii U) and Super Smash Bros. Dimensions (3DS)
If Nintendo wants to differentiate between the two versions of SSB4, this seems like the best way to do it IMO. A lot of people have suggested the former title which stemmed from a rumor, and frankly it works quite well; it works much better and holds more creativity than the rather plain "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U". As for the latter title, most Nintendo 3DS games seem to be using "3D", "3DS", or "Dimensions" in their titles, and 'Dimensions' seems like the best one that doesn't simply repeat what system the game in question is on (plus, it's a one-word subtitle in the vein of Melee, Brawl, and the rumored Universe). I know that we tend to use Super Smash Bros. 64 for the first game in the series for differentiating it from its successors, but Melee and Brawl diverged from including the platform's actual name outright, and I don't think that we necessarily need to go back to that naming style if there are still suitable subtitles available (which is up for debate). Additionally, both titles manage to use different abbreviations (SSBU and SSBD - compared to SSB64, SSBM, and SSBB) than the 3 currently existing SSB games, so that also helps.

This ties in with my 3rd suggestion, but to unite the 2 games while keeping them distinct, Super Smash Bros. 4: Universe and Super Smash Bros. 4: Dimensions might also qualify as good titles.

3. Super Smash Bros. 4
I've seen a lot of good subtitles in this thread (the Du(ae)l one was particularly interesting), but if all else fails, this works just fine IMO, and I'll probably continue to refer to the 2 games as this if the actual title ends up to be subpar or something. Change it to "SSB4: Wii U" and "SSB4: 3DS" if needed. The only problem with this title is that, IIRC, Masahiro Sakurai said that the 2 versions "SSB4" are more than just sequels, and the "4" plays up the 'sequel' aspect a little too much. Also, aside from the fan-made name of the first game (SSB64) which uses a number due to the system's name, sequel numbers being introduced all of a sudden in SSB titles just seems weird, as Melee and Brawl lack them.

4. Super Smash Bros. Battle Royale
Excluding "SSB4", this one was my initial preference prior to hearing about the "Universe" rumor and recalling the usage of "Dimensions" and "Revolution". Although a certain other game (delving into the Mascot Fighter concept popularized by Super Smash Bros., no less) has recently incorporated the term "Battle Royale" in its title, Super Smash Bros. 64 listed "Battle Royale Mode" a long time ago as a beta element (before the term "Free For All", it seems), so we still have dibs on that...kind of.

Wow, that was way more than I intended to write... :<

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Super Smash Brothers GENOCIDE

Super Smash Brothers HOLOCAUST

Super Smash Brothers MASSACRE

Super Smash Brothers APOCALYPSE

Super Smash Brothers BRUTALITY

Super Smash Brothers CARNAGE

Super Smash Brothers EXECUTION

Super Smash Brothers FATALITY

Super Smash Brothers JUDGMENT

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This thread was made a year ago back when there was no idea what the title would be. Now that the official names are announced there's really no point in keeping it open, especially since most of the posts keep repeating Smash Bros Universe, I was hoping for some wackier title suggestions. There's still a chance that the title might change I suppose.

Super Smash Bros REVENGEANCE

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Super Smash Bros. Bug-buh-BOOGIE

(For those who get it, tenouttaten)

Top Bottom