• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What will it take for this game to truly be 'Ultimate' to you?

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is pulling all the stops for this game. But I was wondering what it would take for this game to truly be the perfect smash for you. Other than specific characters, what does this game need for it to truly be your ultimate Smash game?

For me,
  1. Special orders stay. Those were tons of fun and were the only really good solo mode in WiiU besides event matches.
  2. Have event matches that really ramp up near the end. WiiU's felt really lame. The last ten or so should have a distinct "endgame" feeling to them. Maybe even throw in a really hard, mode-unique boss as the last one.
  3. Either fix All Star, or scrap it to make room for a better game mode. It just doesn't work the way smash 4 did it, especially with an even bigger cast.
  4. Classic mode done more like melee/brawl. But it needs to have a kickass final boss like in Smash 4.
  5. Character specific break-the-targets back from melee (Yes, I know there are a lot of characters. Let me dream.)
  6. A really good stage builder
  7. A melee-style adventure mode with lots of possible stages, of which a randomized order is chosen. Should be robust, interesting, and challenging. Lots of secrets within it.
  8. Every stage from past games.
  9. A special smash option to make it so different players have different statuses.
  10. The return of Brawls trophy shooter arcade game thingy

Morbi

Scavenger
At this point, they almost have to bring all stages back, they are almost there and I will be disappointed if I cannot play Fountain of Dreams or Mute City... Or Pokefloats. Just more Melee, son. Give me more Melee. We are talking Break the Targets, Adventure Mode, um, well, yeah, that is about all I want.

It would be nice if they fixed the stage creators. I used the one in Brawl for hundreds of hours. I used the one in Smash 4... Once, maybe twice. Hard to remember. I thought it was once, but I messed up my random stage options and played on stages I did not recall making.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
For me it already is. With Ridley and Snake and Wolf and most likely Simon, it's all I wanted. Add that to the fact that DLC is almost a given then I'd say I'm guaranteed to be playing this game forever.

However, if I had to choose some extra things then, yeah, you nailed it. SSE2, Adventure, orders, allstar, unique target tests, unique board the platforms, race to the finish, home run contest. Basically more single player content.

Last edited:

OldmanKarp

Smash Cadet
Add wavedashing, fix wavelanding. Don't know enough about the autocancel windows and aerial landing lag to comment on that, but if it's the same as smash 4, increase the former or decrease the later if they're not going to outright add L-cancelling.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
K. Rool as a playable character

Adventure mode (I’d prefer story, but could be like Melee)

The mini-games from 64 and Melee (Break the Targets, Board the Platforms)

Every past stage

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad and Meowth finally joining the battle as playable fighters. :sadeyes:

This game is almost perfect. All playable characters and all stages from past Smash games in one game... and yet it is still missing Toad and Meowth. :cry:

This game would have been flawless had those two characters been playable in Smash. I wish Meowth was in Smash 64. Meowth was doomed from the start.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ultimate? It already is.

But...there are a few things that would make this beyond amazing for me...

Characters: King K.Rool, Dovahkiin
Stages: Fountain of Dreams, Melee Yoshi Island, Pirate Ship

Have 1P game modes (Classic, All-Star) act as in Melee - randomized opponents, set battle types.

Melee-style Adventure mode

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
K. Rool
Geno (not really someone I actively want, I'm neutral on him, but he's been a big figure in Smash speculation)
Fountain of Dreams
Local Tournament Mode
Break the Targets (unique stages for each character)
Boss Rush

But really, I'm already more than satisfied with what we've got, these things would just mean I have absolutely nothing to hope for next game, because I'll already have everything I've ever wanted.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
A single thing.

KING
K.
ROOL

He is wanted just as much if not more than Ridley after Sakurai had said he was too big, but now that we have Ridley..there is but one more of the BIG 3 left...please Nintendo...please Sakurai

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One of the biggest things that I want back is the custom special moves. They need a second chance to shine, but I guess some fighters may have special moves that likely won't get any custom variants (such as Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon Change).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Isaac playable.

I could pass up any other character if it meant getting Isaac playable in Smash.

Golden Sun was such a big and memorable part of my childhood.

mister_subarashi

Smash Cadet
Gameplay related: Characters keeping their momentum after jumping from a dash. There are a few others, but that's the big one for me.

Aesthetics: I would LOVE for an option to switch between JPN and ENG voices for individual characters, like Street Fighter IV / V. I cannot stand English speaking Ryu and English speaking Marth sounds just wrong, but Fox and Falco are alright. Individual options for each would make everyone happy.

Anyone's uncle work at Nintendo? Tell him to pass along the suggestions :chuckle:
But seriously, if you are at E3, spread the word!

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
  • Proper adventure mode - Doesnt have to be Subspace levels, just something fun with some bosses and classic enemies to slap
  • K Rool - I would say that he his now the last big Nintendo character missing
  • Event matches - No reason to assume they are not back, but I want a bucket load of them, and maybe the return of some classic Melee and Brawl events

Tedlett

Smash Rookie
NNID
xRaindrop
All I want now is an amazing soundtrack with a long story mode. This is what made Brawl the best game. It would be mind-blowing if the roster was very well balanced, too (brawl's weakness).

D

Deleted member

Character-wise: Simon Belmont and K.Rool. The likes of Bandanna Dee, Dixie and Isaac would be welcome, but those 2 are my main priority for this to be the "ultimate" game. Really requesting more characters at this point makes me feel like a spoiled child that doesn't appreciate what it has.

The only other thing that would TRULY make it Ultimate for me would be anadventure mode that has branching paths taking you to different levels from many Nintendo games (and the third parties too) with some elements from other modes (subspace's 2 player co op, the branching paths from 3DS Classic mode, etc)

Basically a hybrid between Adventure Mode and SSE without the story, where the stages are shorter and to the point, and every single enemy is from a Nintendo or already-represented Third Party franchise.

An upgraded version of Smash Run would also make me satisfied. Customizing time from 5 minutes to 10 to 20 to even 1, more Special Smash modes, an even Larger stage, more enemies from Nintendo and Third Party games (a generic FE enemy unit, Zingers and Gnawties from DKC, Medusa Heads from Castlevania ,etc) and lastly, I WANT TO SEE THE OTHER FIGHTERS IN THE ARENA THAT IM FIGHTING! Serioulsy that should have been in Smash 3DS already.

Oh, and please don't butcher the music and cut segments from it. I want to hear the full versions of the DKC Rap and Live and Learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
For single player, I would want Individual Board the Platforms and Break the Targets; an Adventure Mode and/or Story Mode either would work for me, Event Matches and Master/Crazy Orders. In fact, do we even know anything about Single player content in this game yet?

Character-wise the roster is already perfect to me anything else is just gravy. Though if I were to pick anyone to put in it would be Shantae, Banjo-Kazooie, and King K. Rool would round it out and make it beyond perfect.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
All, I want is King K. Rool. And maybe an Adventure mode. That's about it, really.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Not much, I am pretty thankful for what we are getting, hopefully 1 or 2 more new fighters and a handful of new stages although getting every stage back would be incredible (particularly mute city melee, rainbow road, and gamer). It is not going to happen but having Banjo and Crash would be dream come true.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It already is beyond Ultimate for me. It has Ridley, Inklings and every other smash character so far. Lots of stages, likely tons of music. I am pleased.

schavira

Smash Journeyman
Every stage (and song) returns.

Legitimate single player side-scrolling Adventure mode (not Smash Run).

Crash Bandicoot is playable.

This is about it.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
The only character I really want now is K. Rool. Little Mac and Pac-Man got in during Smash 4, Ridley got in a few days ago. There are some other characters that I would like to see, but more so to make more fans happy (Geno, Captain Toad, Issac) or characters my friends want (Bandana Dee, Lyn). An enhanced Smash Run and a "Story Mode" in between Melee and Brawl would be nice. Brawl had a great soundtrack, so I'd want a soundtrack on the same level as Brawl's (which based on the four songs on the website, it might be). An improved stage builder would be great as well.

Honestly this game is shaping up to be amazing regardless of who else is in.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Nothing.
I'm content with the simple fact that every Smash fighter is here.

But they're continuing to build on with so much more and I've never been more grateful in my gaming life.
Thank you Masahiro Sakurai and the entire Super Smash Bros. team for everything!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Add wavedashing, fix wavelanding. Don't know enough about the autocancel windows and aerial landing lag to comment on that, but if it's the same as smash 4, increase the former or decrease the later if they're not going to outright add L-cancelling.
There are a few factors in Smash Ultimate that make Wavedashing seem kinda obsolete to me.
You can Smash-Attack during a Dash.
Character's can grab ledges from behind, you don't have to Wavedash into the ledge to Edgehog. You can just run off the stage and Air-dodge into the ledge. Ledge-Trumping discourages Edgeguarding.

Landing lag looked pretty much non-existent to me on a lot of aerials, but I'm not sure if it's on par with L-cancelled-aerials levels of low landing lag.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
K. Rool. With Ridley finally here, it feels like it might finally be time.

Apart from that, I honestly don’t want much. Just a few Echo fighters for a bit of extra hype or selfish reasons.

Hilda(Zelda) (Bring real LBW representation, and dark magic variants of Zelda’s magic. She doesn’t have a Hilda alt! Yes please!)

Funky Kong (DK)

Dark Samus (Samus)

Ken (Ryu)

Shadow (Sonic)

I feel like asking for much more is almost too much. Sakurai has really gone above and beyond with this, holy ****.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I‘d love:
-A fusion between 3ds classic mode/SSE/Adventure Mode from Melee as a new single player mode.
-A fes more characters in order to further balance the roster (Dixie Kong anyone?), a few more characters from new series and new games (Decidueye, Spring Man, Labo Robot) and some Echo Characters.
-Some more Melee and Brawl stages (Fountain of Dreams not in the game would be a shame)
-Break the Targets (like in Brawl)
-Events like in Brawl
-An enanched Smash Run, where you can interact with other players and even randomize the layout of the map.

All in all I’d love to see the best of each Smash game in this game plus some new features to help the game feel the ultimate Smash game

Last edited:

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
In terms of roster? Nothing. It's already a fever dream as it is. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

To make it truly ultimate would be to offer a nice variety of modes. A lot of modes in Smash 4 felt like "Multi-Man Melee." It really didn't make me want to go back to them after a couple of times. Melee and Brawl had a nice variety of content that made me go back for more.

I'm not even asking for another Subspace Emissary. Something akin to Melee's Adventure mode would be great. Also I would like Classic mode to not be like how it was in WiiU, where it was just Multi-Man Melee with extra steps. Classic mode should be just that... Classic.

Oh, and no Smash Tour. That mode was a dumpster fire. Smash Run on the other hand could be made perfect with direct interaction between players.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
This is kind of hypocritical, since I really don't like it when people say they'll only play Smash if it has a good single-player adventure...but, I think an ultimate Smash Bros should have a good single-player adventure. I don't want to encourage it, especially after the great failure that was the Subspace Emissary and what it did to Brawl as a whole, as well as how much time and effort it'd take, but I would absolutely pay to see any second shot at it.

Heck, maybe they'll make that the DLC content, just like what Splatoon 2 is doing with the Octo Pass. Refine the gameplay and meta to a crystal sheen and then worry about the epic crossover story later? That's a strategy I can see myself supporting.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
The game itself already invalidates the other ones as far as me playing it goes. It's already the ultimate Smash game to me. The lighting needs to be fixed but I have little doubt it will be.

...However for it to thrive competitively, I just hope they take into account and listen to what top players have been saying. Shields are too safe, wavelanding needs less lag, wavedashing should be a thing just for extra mobility, and dash-dancing needs to be tighter.

Basically just small adjustments and you have (IMO) the best Smash game for competitive play.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd need it to be a lot more balanced than Smash 4 Wii-U and 3DS to think of it as being ultimate, I want all those stages to go to good use, and it'd be quite sad if the game wasn't well balanced and you don't get to see most of the 65 characters shown so far show up often in tournament and it was usually just the same handful of them you'd see often and the rest became rare. Obviously not asking for Tiers to not exist, those will always, but the gap between a bottom tier and top tier can definitely be a lot thinner than it is in Smash 4, I'd like to see every character be viable.

Last edited:

HairMythe

Smash Cadet
One of the biggest things that I want back is the custom special moves. They need a second chance to shine, but I guess some fighters may have special moves that likely won't get any custom variants (such as Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon Change).
I'd like to point out there's ways to make variants for pokemon change. Reversing the order the pokemon are switched, or adding an attack and depriving the move of its defensive advantages. There is always a way.

What would make the game truly Ultimate would be to have, alongside every character, stages and music returning, every modes returning as well. So yeah, Classic, Adventure, All-star, SSE2, Multi-man melee, Events, Orders, Home-run, Individual and shared target practice, Smash tour and Smash run, Bomb Smash, and anything I may have forgotten.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Adventure Mode: I think we need that one premier single player mode where we fight something besides CPUs and other people. Just go light on the story for the new one. I don't need cutscenes, tell the story like any Kirby game would. I'm looking for fun levels, classic enemies, and boss fights. With a character roster this large, Adventure Mode would be how they'd get people to play more than one or two characters. Because nothing in Smash 4 prompts you to try out anybody unless you're collecting trophies.

Break the Targets: It can't be hard to design a test for every character, can it? I think what would really win people over is the ability to make your own Target Tests and publish them online Mario Maker style. I presume this game is getting a stage editor that lets us publish levels as usual, so 80% of the work on this feature is already finished.

Custom Moves: If they had the foresight thus far to add a stage hazard toggle and Battlefield forms, I'm willing to bet they could figure out an intuitive way to set custom moves without leaving the Versus screen. About 50 of the game's 65+ character roster have got custom moves already so they've got a lot of work already finished on this. If we have to unlock custom moves through an RNG based system like other collectibles, then at least give us a custom moves shop to mirror the trophy shop of the previous game.

I'm optimistic about these additions to the game considering we've only gotten a sufficient amount of information regarding one mode - Versus Mode. We are far from caught up on news for this game.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
For me, the one thing I'm wanting more than anything now is the stage builder. It'd be massively disappointing not to have it back.

I'd also like to see Smash Tour return but given it's negative reception, that seems super unlikely.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It's already pretty damn close in my book, but in order for this game to be perfect, Poke Floats would have to be revived (fingers crossed!) or, better yet, an updated Poke Floats with Pokemon from all generations. That said, every other stage I missed seems to be back and remastered, so I'd hardly weep if Poke Floats was left by the wayside at this point. Additionally, the singleplayer would need to be patched up with all the old modes restored to their former glory (looking at you, Break the Targets) and something new added that has some actual replay value - like, say, a new Adventure Mode, perhaps? I dunno, I'm hardly getting my hopes up for Smash's singleplayer to ever be as massive and replayable as SSE alone was, but even then, this is shaping up to be my favorite Smash bar none just by what we've seen. And, of course, Geno in Smash would be my ultimate dream character. He's the only character I've ever really wanted in Smash, so once he gets in, the roster will be pretty much perfect in my eyes.
Oh, and Smash Run returning with online support would be cool, but I'm not super attached to the idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom