• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Will Duck Hunt Dog's Trailer Be Like?

Frank Ploegmakers

Smash Cadet
Sakurai said that not all new characters will get their own trailer. So I hope you don't be disapointed when there will be no trailer.

Spirst

Does there even need to be one? Sakurai would probably want to keep some of the characters secret so that the players can experience the unlock themselves.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DHD's trailer needs to play like a John Woo movie... that Final Smash was epic.

Frank Ploegmakers

Smash Cadet
I never took that as meaning the secret characters weren't getting trailers because he never specifically says so
Yeah, I understand what you mean, i thought the same, but the other possibility is also true, so who knows.
I just hope there will be a trailer.

I hope the trailer will be nostalgic in graphics and also funny.

For example:

you see the old game duck hunt. and some guys (you don't see yet) trying to play the game and shoot the ducks, but they didn't hit any ducks. the screen zooms out and you see mario, pit, link and DK standing there with their zappers and then, the dog on the screen laughes at them and they get mad. But out of nowhere, they see the duck walking there and they charge right at him. But first he dodges the charge and then they continue attacking, Then the screens cuts into gameplay , where you duck hunt dogs moves and him owning. then fade back to the trailer, still trying to attack or shoot the dog but still miss and you see him laughing and the screens fades to the title . THE END.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It'll probably never happen, though I thought of something like this:

The Smash logo appears then turns to flames (like in the other trailers), and cuts to a field with some grass. Not too far in the background, there's a tree and a bush (like in DH), and some ducks can be seen flying in the background (though they're kind of hard to see).

Everything is calm, when out of nowhere, Falco appears via Falco Phantasm (his side special). The Phantasm cuts some of the grass since he moved so fast, and could also scare some ducks away. He turns around and gives a smirk (and could also say something) to his opponent. I was thinking it could either be Fox (so Falco could say a smart remark to him), or maybe another veteran that hasn't been shown much in a character trailer (like maybe Pikachu). Either way, the two fight, they eventually end up in the air (Falco could kick them upwards to make this happen), and they're about to attack each other again.

Suddenly, the DH shots are heard, and the two fall into the grass. Some rustling is seen in the grass and then it stops for about a second. After that brief moment, the DH dog pops up from the grass happily while holding the two fighters. At the same time, the original DH level win tune plays, and a DH duck happily flies near the dog. Then the splash animation happens ("Duck Hunt laughs into battle!" or something like that) followed by a gameplay montage.

At the very end of the video, Falco and the other character are seen defeated lying on the ground, followed by the DH duck popping from the grass and laughing at them.

Last edited:

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
According to some people, there's going to be a character reveal trailer the day before it's released internationally.
If this is the case, it'll most certainly be around DHD or Bowser Jr. the only one they haven't "revealed" besides those two is Dark Pit, and he showed up in Palutena's trailer already.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way... It really felt like Shulk's trailer was the last one.
Nearing the bottom doesn't mean the next one to come out IS the bottom

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
i think that there is one important thing to notice about the trailers. They DONT appear on the 3DS version. In Brawl you could watch all the cutscenes from SSE, along with the 2006 trailer, the 2007 trailer, Snake's trailer, and Sonic's trailer.

So at the very least that just confirms that there could be more on the way, all in time for the Wii U version.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I want it to be something like Tom and Jerry with the Dog as Tom, the Duck as Jerry, and the Hunter as Tom's owner.

In Japan, it was, after all, voted to be the 85th best anime (the Japanese definition is more broad, referring to any animated TV show or movie) in 2005.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
I feel that it would involve Dark Pit and/or Falco taking shots at ducks before the dog is revealed. Seeing Dark Pit's personality and his Dark Pit Staff it would fit perfectly.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
It'll be all the cut characters shown in a slideshow with Duck Hunt doing his iconic laugh before it moves to the next slide.

Then it gets to the Ice Climbers, but instead of laughing he sheds a single tear.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
What if DHD's trailer is different from everyone else's and is actually touching and heartwarming? Since he is hated by a whole generation of gamers for his derisive laughter, a heartwarming trailer can put the doggy in a new light. Something like the Tumblr comic that's been going around lately:

Ninten.M1

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenAlt
It'll be him getting his ass handled to him by Mewtwo and Ninten, but then they spare him and volunteer as DLC instead of playable characters.

CharizardY

Smash Rookie
They need to have Mr Peepers (the DHD) holding Ridley and the Ice Climbers like two ducks in Duck Hunt.

AppleCracker

Smash Apprentice
What if DHD's trailer is different from everyone else's and is actually touching and heartwarming? Since he is hated by a whole generation of gamers for his derisive laughter, a heartwarming trailer can put the doggy in a new light. Something like the Tumblr comic that's been going around lately:

Even though he's probably not getting a trailer that would be awesome!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
They need to have Mr Peepers (the DHD) holding Ridley and the Ice Climbers like two ducks in Duck Hunt.
Wow you're so funny and clever. I almost can't believe how tasteless this post is.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Congratulations on getting a proper trailer. ;)

Judging by that picture, I'd guess that it's going to break the fourth wall quite a bit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Congratulations on getting a proper trailer. ;)

Judging by that picture, I'd guess that it's going to break the fourth wall quite a bit.
I'm amazed that Sakurai had the same idea as I did with breaking the fourth wall to fight... hell, that Pic of the Day resembles one of the pictures I used to spam on Sakurai's Twitter in 2012.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm amazed that Sakurai had the same idea as I did with breaking the fourth wall to fight... hell, that Pic of the Day resembles one of the pictures I used to spam on Sakurai's Twitter in 2012.
It's kind of weird, when you think about it... So you're basically playing as the dog and the duck, but then you're also controlling someone off screen who's playing the game using the Zapper... In other words, you're playing as someone playing the game in a different reality.

Though, that does explain the name of the character. It isn't just the duo of the dog and the duck; you're really playing as the game Duck Hunt in the form of a Smash character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's kind of weird, when you think about it... So you're basically playing as the dog and the duck, but then you're also controlling someone off screen who's playing the game using the Zapper... In other words, you're playing as someone playing the game in a different reality.

Though, that does explain the name of the character. It isn't just the duo of the dog and the duck; you're really playing as the game Duck Hunt in the form of a Smash character.
Yeah. That's pretty much what I suggested on Sakurai's Twitter... I suggested "Duck & Hound" from the game Duck Hunt... and their moveset could be parodying the NES Zapper games by having someone doing all the shooting from the fourth wall. I added that "Duck & Hound" could be the NES Zapper rep in Smash. I'm really surprised not only because Sakurai actually added Duck Hunt Dog in Smash, but also because of how he was portrayed in Smash is eerily similar to what I suggested to Sakurai on Twitter. I mean, because I didn't know the dog's name in Japan... I said "Duck & Hound from Duck Hunt" to describe to Sakurai who's the character I'm suggesting and I guess he probably thought I was asking for a duck and dog team... and I guess he took the "NES Zapper rep" to the logical extreme by including stuff from Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley. At least I got Up+B and Side+B and the fourth wall shooter.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want captain N to be the one with the zapper in the trailer.
Me too!!!
Now that I finally got all of my most-wanted Nintendo retro video game characters in Smash :4pit::4littlemac::4duckhunt: there is only one Nintendo retro character left that I really want in Smash and that's Captain N... it will be hard to get people to support the cause when he's not a video game character... at least DHD is a video game character and I had a hard time getting people to support him because they couldn't imagine DHD fighting. I also wouldn't mind other retro characters like Takamaru, Muddy Mole, Nester, and Mike Jones (Star Tropics) but right now, my primary focus is on Captain N.

Top Bottom