• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Weakness???

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I was just wondering. What exactly is ivysaur's weaknesses? It is hard to tell what they are when you are constantly getting whipped. I figured this would be the perfect place to get the skinny on her.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This is actually a great topic to start.

I only second Ivy, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but she kind of has long lag after she whiffs a grab. Not as noticable as someone like ZSS, but after playing other characters, it just feels longer.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
The reach of it is so long so it should have lag. If they are out of distance of the grab then ivy should have more than enough time to do another attack. Now being behind ive during a missed grab is the place to be lol

TreK

Is "that guy"
-no good oos because of slow grab, usmash, upB and aerials (except nair)
-gets outcamped by most characters who have a projectile because razor leaf is extremely slow and Ivy can't approach
-chain grab fodder due to her weight
-juggle fodder due to her air speed
-(not too sure about this one, maybe I just happen to suck tjere) no good ledge option
-kinda weak to CC, although that seems to be everyone's case.

-that ftilt

Btw our grab range is only sligtly bigger than marth's, it's the smallest tether along with lucas's. Except it's much slower and the hitbox is mich lower vertically so it isn't nearly as versatile.

Last edited:

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean by no ledge option? Do you mean when you recover or your oponent? And marths grab range is pretty long. But if the ivy player knows that they cant grab oos then they are gonna use their tilts. Which juggle you around

cannedbread

Smash Lord
you can't use tilts directly out of shield like you can with aerials, usmash, upb, grab, roll, etc. and her ftilt is pretty good against cc.

i don't have much experience playing ivys but i feel like ivy lives by stage control. she's floaty and her recovery kind of sucks so if you move her from center stage and punish basically everything she does when she's not in the center, you should be fine.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Every ivy I have played, 2 so far, always plays from the side of the stage

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
ivysaur isnt really chain grab food, nor is she combo food. her air mobility is actually pretty decent, and her floatiness makes her harder to combo, with nair being a pretty good combo breaker. nair is also a very solid OOS option. her main weakness in my eyes is that she gets killed off the top easy, and has trouble dealing with heavy pressure, be it from afar or up close, since her overall mobility is delegated to the realm of slightly below average.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
She doesn't really have weaknesses so much as lack certain things other characters have, like a shine or a fast OoS option that can trade or a falco laser or the ability to fly or have like 100 jumps. Her recovery is also not that great, I suppose.

Skimchee

Smash Hobo
I second the pressure weakness. Her camp game can only work if you don't have a fast or reliable projectile or don't have the speed to put a close-range pressure on her. Ever since the synth hitbox was replaced with a windbox, her best option is usually to nair under pressure or OoS. Plus she isn't great against CC...not terrible, but not great. It's hard to get in on her but once your're in, you're golden for the most part. Her standing grab has more range but more endlag, where her dash grab has less range and less endlag.; pivot grab seems to be a happy median of the two. Use that info to help you bait and punish her grab attempts accordingly. Her recovery is good, but rather predictable as far as guarding against it. Just don't approach from underneath her or you will probably get hit with a dair (or uair belly flop if they feel like it).

Finally I'd say her ledge game excels over many other characters. Easy as hell to edgehog with her, prime position for bair/dair edgeguarding, and she can get onto the stage rather safely for the most part (fair/nair or wd onto the stage). However if you see Ivy being too liberal with using the up-b on the ledge, just keep track of how many she uses at one time because she's only allowed 3 tethers before having to land on solid ground. After her third tether is gone, she's much less intimidating offstage. So she can stall, but she can get punished pretty hard for stalling too much....I hope my input helps a little.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Because we want to throw you off of it.
Although that was funny its still not 100% true. Her vines have excellent range. If she is on the side then you can only attack head on. Im not coming from above against an ivy! So if she camps the side all she has to do is wait to punish you. My friend RARELY grabs with her and he managed just fine.

Top Bottom