• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your reaction to Little Mac's AT reveal in Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The title speaks for itself.

For me, I was really disappointed to see one of my most wanted characters for that game be reduced to something that was like a Pokeball Pokemon. But back then, I was somewhat skeptical of characters who were very popular overseas but not in Japan making it in as playable characters, so it left me worried that it would have been his only recurring role in the series.

The fact that he wasn't even very good (from my experiences) just rubbed salt in the wound.

Thankfully that won't be the case for SSB4. What did you think of Little Mac as an Assist Trophy?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't remember Mac being a major deal during Brawl's development, though I think part of that is at the time there were other within Mac's sub-catagory that he chances never seemed very high to me. The fact they at least acknowledged him seemed decent to me at the time.

Really I do think it was his revival in 2009 with the Wii Punch-Out! that kind of brought him back to the forefront of many people's mind.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
He was my most wanted character, even in Brawl. I was just happy to see him referenced.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I was sad as he was one of my more desired characters, but I was happy he was acknowledged at all. And Brawl had so many other good newcomers I wanted (Pit, Wario, Diddy, Olimar, ROB, Sonic), I let it slide.

I would've been severely pissed if Mac wasn't playable this time around. With Punch-Out making a comeback on the Wii, it would've been unforgivable.

Good to see Sakurai come through! :)

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I don't really remember. I'm pretty sure I wanted him in Brawl, and I'm pretty sure I was disappointed, but I don't remember the moment that well.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
At the time I wasn't too phased, because I was excited about all the other newcomers, and since he was retro at the time, I'd already assumed it was just Pit that go around.

This time though, being non-playable would've been unforgivable. With PO Wii, and Mac being so faithfully brought forward in time, just...GAH! Mac deserves every bit of this newfound Smash attention. I'm glad to see even with all the unexpected newcomers, Sakurai saw fit to bring Mac into the game.

So. Happy.

It kinda reminds me of a Miiverse post I saw when PO came out on the Wii U. Somebody drew Mac in the jumpsuit saying "I can do it Doc! I can fight with the Smash Bros.!"

And I was like "I sure hope so Mac! I sure hope so! *sniff*. You GO, Mac!!

...It also helps that he was mine and two of my other friend's most wanted character for this game. So yeah...

Really glad Sakurai didn't keep him as a mediocre AT that he was in Brawl. He looks like the beast he deserves to be!

Last edited:

ErictheLone

Smash Apprentice
I was pretty depressed, which became rage when idiots on various forums started with their 'lul 'why did you even think he was possible' gloating. I got over it by reading the threads of other characters that didn't make it. That helped to put things in perspective. Not every character can get in. There will always be that bad feeling for someone out there. I'm very thankful that Mac got in, and I'm hoping that the popular characters get in too. I can see the merits of pretty much every character, for one, but also because I really don't want to see the forum teeming with sad/angry people, people making fun of fanbases, people getting banned left and right, ect.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
he was my most wanted character in brawl, devastated when he was revealed as just an assist trophy.

Thats when i jumped on the geno train but knew that was never likely.

Having Mac in the new smash feels like redemption years in the making, VERY happy about him being in the game.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I recognized him immediately and thought "Well cool at least they're including him." It was only after Brawl's release that I realized how much of a cool character he would be as playable.

Morbi

Scavenger
That was the moment of conception for my love of all that is Mac. I didn't know who he was at the time; so I wasn't disappointed or devastated, but I definitely began to enjoy the character. I wanted him in the game after his reveal as an assist trophy, I had always wanted a fighter in Smash, someone who actually knew how to fight. I honestly liked his design, dat bowl cut. However, it wasn't until Smash 4 that he became my most wanted, he is the reason I even got into boxing.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Even though I was relatively new to Punch Out!, it was a terrible feeling. I really thought that Little Mac was going to be a unique, straightforward fighter. His game being a classic and all, I just couldn't get why he wasn't Playable Character material.
Back in the Brawl days, I rooted for more retro pics. As in, half the roster. So Little Mac, being one of the Nintendo retro figureheads becoming an AT was sorta like... I dunno, having your Queen taken down in Chess.

Then I started hoping for "Super" Little mac to get in instead. (As in, the character from Super Punch Out!)

I remember once it was confirmed that neither version of Little Mac was playable, I recalled having a lonesome disc gathering dust somewhere in my room. It was a DVD containing episodes of Hajime no Ippo anime.

That was probably the best rebound I've ever had.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
"...Who?"

I had just missed the SNES days by the time I had the motor skills necessary to play video games, and as such, I had never played Punch Out!! or even heard of it. On top of that, something about him just seemed... off. I can't put my finger on it, even to this day. I don't know, maybe it's the bowl cut he had back then. Regardless, I've played Punch Out!! Wii, loved it, and I'm stoked that Mac's here.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I was pretty bummed. He was one of my most wanted newcomers back then. Glad he's in this time!

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I was really disappointed. I really wanted him back then and I was jumping up and down like a mad man during his reveal trailer.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Really I do think it was his revival in 2009 with the Wii Punch-Out! that kind of brought him back to the forefront of many people's mind.
I can confirm that the Wii game made him more relevant, but he was still pretty big before it.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Unquestionably disappointment. On the other hand, if characters like Knuckle Joe weren't getting in, neither was he.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out while watching the trailer, I was like "Man, Mac should be in this game. I followed the dojo every day, but only one meme can describe how I felt about what I saw that day;

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I was acquainted with Punch-Out!! through hacking the original Animal Crossing, where it was a full playable game. I loved the characters, beat it and learned online that it was one of the prominent Nintendo retro titles...so when Brawl was first revealed, I was really hoping he'd be playable. I was of course disappointed to see him unplayable when Pit got the nod instead. But hey, he's here now - so that's water under the bridge.

D

Deleted member

I'll be totally honest, I hated the concept of Mac as a character before his announcement. All the concepts I had seen for the character seemed incredibly bland, and he wasn't even a retro character, so I saw no reason to include him. My opinion of this character was very negatively altered by both his assist trophy in Brawl killing himself every time I manage to summon it, and his incredibly generic Super Smash Bros. Crusade moveset, which in part I hated because Ryu was already in the game and Ryu has HADOUKEN! and SHORYKEN! something that Mac lacked. I actually missed the part of the direct where he was announced, so I just saw comments in the chat like "LITTLE MAC IN SMASH BROS!!!!11!!!!" and I was kinda pissed off because again, I thought he was a really boring character choice. "All he can do is punch," I thought. "How can you make an entire moveset on that, and make it interesting?" However, the Sm4sh team instead of using the vague gimmick of "later you use special moves in a combo, stronger they are" presented a much more interesting idea for the character, and I found myself actually looking forward to him. They went above and beyond my expectations, and I am very grateful for that. I have no intentions of maining him unless the jogging suit is added as a costume, but I will certainly mess around with him when the game is released.

I apologize if I offended any people who had fond memories of Mac's assist trophy or Crusade developers with this post. I'm just stating my honest thoughts toward the character both pre and post reveal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wait did I read that right?

Ryu is Mac but with a shoryuken and a hadoken?

Karate = boxing now?

D

Deleted member

Wait did I read that right?

Ryu is Mac but with a shoryuken and a hadoken?

Karate = boxing now?
Other way around. Mac is Ryu minus the Hadouken (his up and neutral specials are both Shorykens) in Super Smash Bros. Crusade. Ryu was added first, and Mac has a lot of similar looking moves to Ryu's. This is one reason why I started to hate the character. They are by no means clones, but I always found Mac largely redundant because he couldn't HADOUKEN!

Also turns out I read the title to this thread wrong. I'm an idiot :p

I had no opinion on his being an AT in Brawl, because I had no internet. I formed a very negative opinion about his AT when it kept jumping off the cliff like an idiot. I mean c'mon. You can't even be HIT why would you throw in the towel without punching anything? WVBA Champion...

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Other way around. Mac is Ryu minus the Hadouken (his up and neutral specials are both Shorykens) in Super Smash Bros. Crusade. Ryu was added first, and Mac has a lot of similar looking moves to Ryu's. This is one reason why I started to hate the character. They are by no means clones, but I always found Mac largely redundant because he couldn't HADOUKEN!
OH! My bad then, I didn't think you meant Crusade. (Didn't even know Mac was a character.) I thought you were comparing boxing to karate, generally.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I had no opinion on his being an AT in Brawl, because I had no internet. I formed a very negative opinion about his AT when it kept jumping off the cliff like an idiot. I mean c'mon. You can't even be HIT why would you throw in the towel without punching anything? WVBA Champion...
Yeah, I pretty much loathed the Little Mac AT because of how useless it was. It was almost as bad as Helirin, which didn't even attack.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I pretty much loathed the Little Mac AT because of how useless it was. It was almost as bad as Helirin, which didn't even attack.
To be fair, Mac and Helerin have a higher confirmed kill count than Hammer Bro. and the Infantry and Tanks.

Well for me at least.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I dunno what you guys are on, Mac's AT is crazy good, or at least on my end. He always gets at least 2 KOs when there's more than 2 players in my game. Then again, we usually play on stages where ATs have a hard time falling off. :V

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I dunno what you guys are on, Mac's AT is crazy good, or at least on my end. He always gets at least 2 KOs when there's more than 2 players in my game. Then again, we usually play on stages where ATs have a hard time falling off. :V
This.
But only when I'm careful, and I release the AT in the center of the stage. This way, Little Mac and Saki can be quite useful.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I didn't know who Little Mac is because I've never played a Punch-Out!! game before I saw him in Brawl. Pretty unique Assist Trophy character.

And it's good to see him appear in the new Smash Bros. games again as a fighter. I'm so excited.

Makes me wish I had Punch-Out!! on the Wii though.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I loved it. I played Punch-Out!! for the NES and SNES. They're great games. When I first saw Little Mac I was like "Ohhh that's so sick!" And he was super powerful! I never really thought about him being a playable character for some strange reason but too happy they made him one.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Looking back on it now, it's almost unbelievable how similarly Smash 4 Mac moves like AT Mac (right down to his terrible
jumping lol).

BS_Dang

Smash Rookie
Everytime i picked up an assist trophy I would always hope it would be Little Mac, and be sad when it wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom