• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was the biggest song of the 2000s?

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
So we are almost to 2010 and another decade will soon be upon us, I think it is fair to say that the biggest song of the 90s was absolutely "Smells like teen spirit" by nirvana. So brawlers, what do you feel is the biggest song of the decade? Here are some artists who have multiple songs followed by my pick.

Katy Perry, 50 Cent, Usher, Outcast, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Michelle Branch, Madonna, Rihanna, Coldplay, The Fray, Plain White Ts, Metro Station, Enrique Iglesias, Barbara Streisand, Eminem, Dido, Kanye West.

I believe, the biggest song should belong to one of the biggest artists of the era... and my pick is for...

---In The End by Linkin Park.
The video was awesome, the rap/rock mix was still popular and everyone loved Hybrid Theory, one of the best albums ever. Since, I can't say i have been a big fan, Meteora and Reanimation were OK... I hated minutes to midnight but never the less they are still a mainstream band with huge popularity. If you don't give them song of the decade, you have to give them artist of the decade... New Divide is a top 20 single currently... they just keep going.

So what do you guys think?

Scott!

Smash Lord
While I don't know if Feel Good Inc. is worthy of the title of biggest song, I'm definitely sure that Gorillaz deserve a place on the list of artists to consider.

The Linkin Park one is definitely high in the running.

In a more general sense, I'm pretty interested in how this decade will look in the future, musically speaking. Each decade has its own distinct flavor that seems to fit fairly well along the 10-year boundaries, but this one seems just so varied.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Eminem - Lose Yourself. When this debuted in 8 Mile it took over.

Keep in mind, whatever song we decide on has to be one that still lasts to some degree. If a song dies out quickly, then it's not the biggest hit.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
In random order

Lose Yourself (Eminem)
In Da Club (50 Cent)
Clocks (Coldplay)
Hey There Delilah (Plain White T's)
Viva la Vida (Coldplay)

Those are off the top of my head, I can't think of 2000-09's entire discography right now.

I'll edit this to include more songs later.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You guys, there is only ONE acceptable answer, a song that got played non-stop for 3 years straight. Deny that this is the overplayed song of the 2000s and you are a fooooool.

But in reality, this was by far the most boring decade to ever be alive. Practically NO musical advancements made it into the main stream. This was the decade of retro. Hell, are top tv show was That's 70s Show.

The important artist of the decade are

Gorillaz- Really, the only experimental breakthrough with their Demon Days album, which fused traditional hip-hop elements with more noisy sounds from the likes of breakcore (O Green World). to the Dub and Trip-hop sounds of All Alone The duo, Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlet also released an opera that topped the charts in the UK. That is an amazing feat, to make an opera top the charts. Only Damon Albarn could do such a thing. Monkey: Journey to the West

Venetian Snares- Though many might not know his name on this site, Venetian Snares has made an entire musical genre legitimate, as well as being held by members of the musical genre as the great of the genre. The genre: breakcore, the album that did it, Rossz Csillag Alatt Született.

Animal Collective- Fusing elements and influences from folk, techno, dub, metal, and even The Beach Boys, Animal Collective helped popularize a movement called Freak Folk, and their most recent album premiered at the number 3 spot. Pretty good for a self produced band from Baltimore. Screming, but musically, only Animal Collective could pull off such a thing.

Dan Deacon- Dan Deacon is King. Dan Deacon has a sick band of ghost and cats and pigs and bats who play big drums like kings and queens and everyone plays drums and sings about big, sharp, shark swords, big, beast bee lords, sweet cakes, and mace lakes. No one saw a man this classical compose coming out from left field with his hit electronic album Spiderman of the Rings. No one saw his theater groups music festival, featuring only local Baltimore music acts, to gain international attention, and no one saw his electronic, classical pop fusion album Bromst coming out only 2 years later to be as largely and well received as it was. Dan Deacon is a man who has defied all odds, and has already perminitally left a mark on music, having taken what was a previously tiny scene featuring only House djs into what is today's largest experimental music scene.

Apex Twin- Yeah, if you don't know him, I don't see a reason to write this out.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

But really, some big ones being:

Eminem - Without Me
Linkin Park - In The End
Britney Spears - Oops, I Did it Again

It's hard for me to think of any that were really that big since 2000.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
@CRASHiC: The Gorillaz are terribly underrated. I mean, yeah, they're popular, but for them to make a breakthrough, not enough people are listening to their music. :laugh:

As for the other groups/artists you listed... I haven't heard of them. :laugh:

D***, I forgot about Britney Spears.

How long after 2009 do you guys think it'll take VH1 to make a "100 Greatest Songs of the 00's" special? :laugh:

Scott!

Smash Lord
Crashic's probably right about Hey Ya. It was/is so absurdly popular that I knew it, and I never listened to the radio then. I do now, since I drive more and it's easy in the car, and I still hear it sometimes. Now that's staying power.

@Clownbot: I agree that more love for the Gorillaz is needed. Maybe their next album will seal the deal. And WH1's already probably made half of their "I <3 the 00's" specials, at least.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You guys, there is only ONE acceptable answer, a song that got played non-stop for 3 years straight. Deny that this is the overplayed song of the 2000s and you are a fooooool.
Oh man, I completely forgot about this. I recall one night at a friend's, staying up listening to this and prank calling random numbers in the yellow pages. We almost successfully ordered an Apache Helicopter; "almost" meaning that we convinced ourselves that we were doing good.

But in reality, this was by far the most boring decade to ever be alive. Practically NO musical advancements made it into the main stream. This was the decade of retro. Hell, are top tv show was That's 70s Show.
Oh by far. When "chopped 'n' screwed" attained legitimate genre status, you know this decade will go down in history as the one fueled by zero creativity, simply rehashing and remaking old ****. Look how many remake movies came out and are still in production. I hate the 21st century so far. This is further corroborated by looking at the direction that technology is going. There's no longer a race of smaller companies, the big dogs are specializing and making clean, mass-produced, brainwashing products. When you people who will buy a new phone every few months, you know there's a problem.

AFFLUENZA. No one's happy anymore, so they buy a bunch of **** that's tagged with commercials to the tune of some happy-indie-pop song that sounds identical to every other one you've heard. This convinces them to buy buy buy.

Can't wait for 2010. Hope things start to change for the better in that decade.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
@CRASHiC: The Gorillaz are terribly underrated. I mean, yeah, they're popular, but for them to make a breakthrough, not enough people are listening to their music. :laugh:

As for the other groups/artists you listed... I haven't heard of them. :laugh:
Gorillaz listenrs on last.fm 1,425,438
Animal Collective views on the youtube videos My Girls 1,526,708 views
Dan Deacon Crystal Cat 1,038,629 views
Venetian Snares's Szamár Madár video views 552,017 views (that's big sense its an new, obscure, and incredibly noise based genre of music)
Aphex Twin Widow Licker views 2,818,022 views

These artist have changes music, especially Venetian Snares. In the long run, pop culture is not what a generation is remembered for. The 60s were full of pop country stars, not a single one any of us in here can name, but we can all name the underground culture.

Scott!

Smash Lord
These artist have changes music, especially Venetian Snares. In the long run, pop culture is not what a generation is remembered for. The 60s were full of pop country stars, not a single one any of us in here can name, but we can all name the underground culture.
Crashic: you had me till you said that. We definitely remember decades by the popular culture of the time. Take the 60's, which you used as an example. What is most remembered from the 60s? The Beatles, Rolling Stones, folk music in general, flower power and hippies, all that stuff. That stuff was the culture Everyone knew the Beatles, and everyone always will. As much as I'd like a lot of the mainstream music of this decade to be forgotten, the biggest acts won't. Bands like Linkin Park, Coldplay, and the less-savory stuff like rap and hip-hop that I dislike so much will probably be around for years and decades.

Also, Patsy Cline, Conway Twitty, and Loretta Lynn.

Albert.

Smash Master
you all should check out this band, my favorite band formed in the 2000s :)

myspace.com/thereignofkindo

listen to Just Wait

btw Maroon 5 This Love was a pretty big song.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
you all should check out this band, my favorite band formed in the 2000s :)

myspace.com/thereignofkindo

listen to Just Wait

btw Maroon 5 This Love was a pretty big song.
Oh man how could I forget maroon 5, both of those albums were pretty huge... and I loved both.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Crashic: you had me till you said that. We definitely remember decades by the popular culture of the time. Take the 60's, which you used as an example. What is most remembered from the 60s? The Beatles, Rolling Stones, folk music in general, flower power and hippies, all that stuff. That stuff was the culture Everyone knew the Beatles, and everyone always will. As much as I'd like a lot of the mainstream music of this decade to be forgotten, the biggest acts won't. Bands like Linkin Park, Coldplay, and the less-savory stuff like rap and hip-hop that I dislike so much will probably be around for years and decades.

Also, Patsy Cline, Conway Twitty, and Loretta Lynn.
You are wrong. Dead wrong. That, by far, was not the media endorsed culture, aside from The Beatles, who were NOT part of the hippie culture, but the British Invasion, which came before. They were a minority in truth, but they are remembered for innovation. If everyone was a hippie, then the country would have fallen apart.

Did you know Led Zepplin got no air time on the radio?

Did you know Mozart was not highly regarded in his time?

However, even still, the 60s are still too young to tell what will be remembered. We can not predict what will happen in the future, but it is generally the experimental acts of a decade that end up being remembered. Linkin Park and Cold Play are nothing but catchy melodies, and this always proves instantly successful, as anything catchy will sell. Already, Nirvana is fading from light, and Radiohead is taking over as the figure head of the 90s.

Edgar Allen Poe was not a popular writer, mostly because the literary community referred to him as Mother Goose tells for grownups.

The most influential book of poetry Leaves of Grass, was an utter flop through most of the poets life.

Their are exceptions for the super, unworldly stars, but no one in this decade matches that description. We have no Michal Jackson, no Alfred Lord Tennyson, no Charles Dickinson, and no Elvis Presley, who, by the way, was bared from radio and television.

Pop culture stars are continued by the people who lived in the decade, such as "Classic Rock" radio stations refusing to let bands like Kiss die.

Lets face it, most people are Pedestrian Music fans. They mostly walk through music, and do not feel passionate about what they listen to, but look to either relate, sing a long, or dance to a catchy beat. These people do not feel so passionate about music, and thus eventually, as an age group dies out, the pop sensations that they hung on to die out as well. For the most part, the swing bands of the early 1900s have died out, but the greats, Billy Holiday, Betsy Hearts, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, all of these remain, because they were truly great musicians. Opera of the 1800s has faded, though the greats like Puccini still penetrate our soundtracks and culture with works like Mariam Butterfly (an opera so poorly regarded during its time that the audience started a riot after sitting motionlessly for minutes after it had concluded) and Tosca.

Also, I forgot about the important hip-hop artist of this decade as well.

Aesop Rock- The man who single handedly saved artistic and New York hip-hop

Busdriver- The man who did the same for hip-hop on the West Coast.

MF DOOM- If you don't know him by now from DANGERDOOM, Victor Vaughn, Madvillian, Adult Swim concerts, and so much more, than you might never will.

DANGERMOUSE- He dances between the above ground and the below ground flawlessly, being a part of one hit wonders like Gnarles Barkly and producing the 2nd Gorillaz Demon Days album, and working with huge underground superstars like MF DOOM, Beck, Martina Topley-Bird, and even graffiti artist Banksy.

Beck- Beck is beck, I hate beck, but ****, are Beck fans Beckheads or what. He doesn't even get played on the radio, and the boy sells out world wide.

Sigur Ros- There is no modern band I hate more than Sigur Ros. But there is no way they are going to avoid being remembered.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Already, Nirvana is fading from light, and Radiohead is taking over as the figure head of the 90s.
Although I can see why you'd say Nirvana is fading from the light, I would have to disagree with the Radiohead comment.

I'm not really sure I agree with some of your statements. The thread is called 'Biggest of 2000s' so I would only assume the songs posted would be songs that most everyone has heard of.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
What about Green Day? Didn't a lot of people view American Idiot as a significant album in the 2000s?

The Killers and Maroon 5 also get significant airplay.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Although I can see why you'd say Nirvana is fading from the light, I would have to disagree with the Radiohead comment.

I'm not really sure I agree with some of your statements. The thread is called 'Biggest of 2000s' so I would only assume the songs posted would be songs that most everyone has heard of.
Radiohead played the grammys last year.
Not that the Grammys are anything special, they are perhaps the worst award show run by an entertainment industry.
In the Oscars, No Country For Old Men wins the award. In the Grammys, Brittany Spears wins the award.

Also, I already posted mine about what the biggest pop hit was, and then I stated which musicians these decade will most likely be remembered for in the future.
Two definitions of what the "big song" is.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I stand mostly corrected, Crashic, though I think it's more of a difference in what we think of as underground and pop culture. If Led Zeppelin was really popular in their time, but not played on the radio, I'd still not think of the as underground, because despite their lack of media attention, they're popular. I wouldn't call Elvis anything but mainstream in his time even if he was banned from TV.

Also, Radiohead played the Grammys because of In Rainbows, which was apparently fabulous (not a fan of theirs, so I can't judge), and because of how it succeeded financially despite being released online in a name-your-price system. Of course, only a band as big as them could get away with it, but that's off-topic even moreso than the rest of this.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Radiohead played the grammys last year.
Not that the Grammys are anything special, they are perhaps the worst award show run by an entertainment industry.
In the Oscars, No Country For Old Men wins the award. In the Grammys, Brittany Spears wins the award.

Also, I already posted mine about what the biggest pop hit was, and then I stated which musicians these decade will most likely be remembered for in the future.
Two definitions of what the "big song" is.
Fair enough. Though Radiohead playing at the Grammys last year isn't something I would consider as evidence of them being a 90's figure head.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Three things:

*I cudgeled my brain for hours on end on this question and others. I'm not even sure what's the best way to write the name of this decade! Is it 2000's, 00's, Double-O's, 200X, whaaat?

*Everything seems hazy until I remember the parodies. All of the following songs from this decade received parodies from Weird Al Yankovic and should be considered moderate to last resort contenders for Song of the Decade: "Lose Yourself" by Eminem, "Hot in Herre" by Nelly, "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne, "American Idiot" by Green Day, "Confessions Part II" by Usher, "Do I Make You Proud" by Taylor Hicks, "Trapped in the Closet" by R. Kelly. I'm also throwing "White and Nerdy on this mound because it's better than "Ridin'" by Chamillionaire. Again, most of these songs should only be selected as Song of the Decade as a last resort.

*I call it the "Double-O's Decade" because each year technically has a Double-O in the middle. I refer to years of this decade as "Two Triple-O" or "Two Double-O...." Credits to James Bond and his fellow 00-Agents for this idea. For example, 2007 would be "Two Double-O-Seven". I'd also abbreviate September 13, 2007 as 9-13-007 so I and hopefully you could tell the year apart from the month and date at a glance.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Piano Man? By Billy Joel? Unless there was another song in the 2000s called Piano Man, that didn't come out in this decade.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Piano Man? By Billy Joel? Unless there was another song in the 2000s called Piano Man, that didn't come out in this decade.
That was my mistake. I guess Piano Man came out back in 1973, but didn't receive its parody for 3 decades.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
You are wrong. Dead wrong. That, by far, was not the media endorsed culture, aside from The Beatles, who were NOT part of the hippie culture, but the British Invasion, which came before. They were a minority in truth, but they are remembered for innovation. If everyone was a hippie, then the country would have fallen apart.

Did you know Led Zepplin got no air time on the radio?
This is incorrect.

Led Zeppelin II reached the top of the Billboard 200 and "Whole Lotta Love" hit number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100. III hit number one as well with "Immigrant Song" hitting 16. IV hit number 2 on the Billboard 200 and "Black Dog" number 15. That's just in the US. In the UK, II, III, and IV all hit number one and their debut album reached number 6 (and hit number 10 in the US).

To say that Led got "no air time on the radio" is just wrong.

Your point about "Hey Ya!" was pretty much on the money, however. I still like the song, but it was huuuuuuuuuuge when it came out.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wow I completely forgot about Green Day. American Idiot got some serious attention when it came out.
This cracks me up. Despite how popular Green Day was and still is, we both completely forgot about them. Hahahahaha, goes to show how memorable they actually are.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Has anyone said Low by Flo-Rida? That song pisses me off but its still played a lot where I live.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
EDIT: Pshh, ignore this post. :p 2000- was probably the worst decade in recent history in regards to music.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Lol great thread. I've thought about this for most the decade actually.

Among the general public I'd have to say that Yeah by Lil Jon, Usher and Ludacris would have to be the biggest song of this decade. It was overplayed so much on the radio in 2004 and is still played quite a bit today when a station decides to go back a few years. Once this song came out all people did in my high school was shout out Yeah and What all the time. In fact people still do the What, Yeah thing today but not as frequent.

The question I have now after typing this is will the song or Lil Jon's quotes be most remembered for years to come?

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
the "yeah" and WHATT" thing was way more because of the chapelle show and not the song. (indirectly yes)

I think my vote is for Hey Ya though.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
This is incorrect.

Led Zeppelin II reached the top of the Billboard 200 and "Whole Lotta Love" hit number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100. III hit number one as well with "Immigrant Song" hitting 16. IV hit number 2 on the Billboard 200 and "Black Dog" number 15. That's just in the US. In the UK, II, III, and IV all hit number one and their debut album reached number 6 (and hit number 10 in the US).

To say that Led got "no air time on the radio" is just wrong.

Your point about "Hey Ya!" was pretty much on the money, however. I still like the song, but it was huuuuuuuuuuge when it came out.
Actually, That's incorrect. The single system worked different back then. Today, its based off of radio play time, back then, a single was rated off of its release. American record stores no longer sale EPs for the most part, so the system was changed accordingly.
This is also why today the Billboard chart is not taken as seriously, because its based off of 'radio play' and not actually sales, though they have tried to counter balance this by taking in account itunes sales, but again, this doesn't really quantify anything, as itunes is not the only internet provider.

Another point is that things are still far too young, and it takes for the generations that were surrounded in the hype to die out till we see if a band is truly lasting. It will take at least 100 years to tell if a band will leave a permanent mark on the musical world.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Haha I think that's kind of rediculous to say. If it was true there'd be no point in us discussing it. There's no way the 60's are "too young" to see who was the most long lasting or influential. 40 years is easily enough time to see who the standouts of the decade were.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Haha I think that's kind of rediculous to say. If it was true there'd be no point in us discussing it. There's no way the 60's are "too young" to see who was the most long lasting or influential. 40 years is easily enough time to see who the standouts of the decade were.
No, no its not.
As long as the generation is still around, the music is still culturally powered, and being kept alive not by the music itself, but by the people who grew up within the culture. The history of music is thousands of years old, and the music that continue to be played was generally not well regarded for quite some time. The easiest way to see this is to watch the movie Amadeus.

Another reason why 40 years is too young is because of music innovation, its incredibly difficult to tell where music is going to go. Since the 70s, we've had a bitter battle between two forces, rock and electronic music. During the Romantic period, over a thousand different instruments were invited and composed for regularly, including such oddities as Benjamen Franklyn's Glass Harmonica, who Mozart composed several pieces for. Now, only two out of all these instruments remain, despite the others lasting quite some time: the tuba and the saxophone. Since the 60s and the 70s, we've seen the parallel cultures of the experimental rock scene clash with the experimental electronic scene. The two continue to change and grow, and as more and more extreme artist such as Mars Volta, Talk Talk, and Tool pop up on the rock side, the electronic side (hip-hop included) pull as many if not more avent grade artist such as Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, and Dan Deacon. Whether music decides to take the rout of artistic rock or artistic electronic is yet to be seen, and we can not expect to see any identifiable outcome from sometime, but it was drastically alter who is remembered as an important, influential musician, and who is viewed as archaic and out of date.

Mozart and Beethovan were early signs of the grand orchestra works yet to come, breaking out of form, focusing on counterpointing (that's having two melodies go at once), and impressionistic. This music wouldn't appear in large quantity for some time, but had music continued the other route of Antonio Salieri, and remained under the structures in Baroque music, then Beethovan and Mozart would have likely been viewed on the other side of the coin. There are multiple examples throughout music's history of the importance of musical trends and who gets remembered.

The issue is a lot more complicated then people sitting around, thinking a song is cool. It involved the entire course of the modern day world.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'd say "Lose Yourself" and "8 Mile".

Because Eminem is the best rapper ever and I'm that biased. :D

Nowadays it's all mediocre mainstream music which makes me glad I'm deaf.

Honestly.

Snail

Smash Lord
No, no its not.
As long as the generation is still around, the music is still culturally powered, and being kept alive not by the music itself, but by the people who grew up within the culture. The history of music is thousands of years old, and the music that continue to be played was generally not well regarded for quite some time. The easiest way to see this is to watch the movie Amadeus.

Another reason why 40 years is too young is because of music innovation, its incredibly difficult to tell where music is going to go. Since the 70s, we've had a bitter battle between two forces, rock and electronic music. During the Romantic period, over a thousand different instruments were invited and composed for regularly, including such oddities as Benjamen Franklyn's Glass Harmonica, who Mozart composed several pieces for. Now, only two out of all these instruments remain, despite the others lasting quite some time: the tuba and the saxophone. Since the 60s and the 70s, we've seen the parallel cultures of the experimental rock scene clash with the experimental electronic scene. The two continue to change and grow, and as more and more extreme artist such as Mars Volta, Talk Talk, and Tool pop up on the rock side, the electronic side (hip-hop included) pull as many if not more avent grade artist such as Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, and Dan Deacon. Whether music decides to take the rout of artistic rock or artistic electronic is yet to be seen, and we can not expect to see any identifiable outcome from sometime, but it was drastically alter who is remembered as an important, influential musician, and who is viewed as archaic and out of date.

Mozart and Beethovan were early signs of the grand orchestra works yet to come, breaking out of form, focusing on counterpointing (that's having two melodies go at once), and impressionistic. This music wouldn't appear in large quantity for some time, but had music continued the other route of Antonio Salieri, and remained under the structures in Baroque music, then Beethovan and Mozart would have likely been viewed on the other side of the coin. There are multiple examples throughout music's history of the importance of musical trends and who gets remembered.

The issue is a lot more complicated then people sitting around, thinking a song is cool. It involved the entire course of the modern day world.
This is a great post. I don't completely agree with you though; It's very likely that bands and artists like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd, who are nowadays regarded as leading figures of the 60s music, will still be seen as the important bands and artists of their time 60 years from now...

Top Bottom