• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was the absolute funniest thing that you have experienced in Melee?

GeN17

Smash Rookie
NNID
MageWolf
I'm talking anything at all, like a friend raging, a game glitch, a funny kill, even something absolutely insane. One thing that I remember is that my friend, who was really bad, was playing me as Link, and I was playing Falcon. I was not playing very seriously, and I ended up having my last stock, same with him. I spawn in, do my thang, and he grabs me, throws me towards the edge, and then down strikes me into the pit. His response was, "Wait, you can do that in this game?"

No, maybe the first 3 happened before I landed on FD and I literally just spammed it after that.

Happened around 8 years ago.
Dang. I was envisioning being sent to the top of dreamland and proceeding to misfire back and forth across the stage. Reaching a point of hilarity to not care about actually landing on the stage and see how many misfires happened before death took you at the bottom.

Last edited:
Why are the stocks grey Kirby heads?
1. select a character (Peach)
2. hit b
3. place player icon over a different character (Kirby)
4. hit y
5. hit L+R+START
6. return to the previous character select screen you were in
7. if your profile picture shows Kirby and your icon is over Peach, SUCCESS!!

This only works with certain character combinations. Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Kirby can't do it

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
It waaaasss smash 4, but I'll tell it anyway. I was the puff, and my friend was dangerously close to the blastzone. I proceded to walk over to him and Stage Spike him. The rest ended before i hit the blastzone, and I was able to recover (-_-).
I comboed him for a bit, up throw into rest, and his second stock was gone.

Hiddles

Smash Rookie
It waaaasss smash 4, but I'll tell it anyway. I was the puff, and my friend was dangerously close to the blastzone. I proceded to walk over to him and Stage Spike him. The rest ended before i hit the blastzone, and I was able to recover (-_-).
I comboed him for a bit, up throw into rest, and his second stock was gone.
:039::jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::jigglypuffmelee:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I was playing against a Marth in friendlies back in February and we were both standing in place for a significant amount of time. Just as the fixy-hair idle animation started up, he tried to do a F-Tilt and it looked super funky. The animation went a bit weird (it sort of looked like F-Tilt except his sword didn't go very far out and Marth didn't lean at all) and it looked like the edge of the hitbox was off. I've tried experimenting with it again, but couldn't re-replicate it because I have no clue how the idle animations work.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
this is also smash 4 but it's pretty good

i was in a tournament set against somebody i play with often who uses jigglypuff. i won the first game and sort of choked the second. as a falcon main, i counterpicked halberd so i could get easy up air kills. what really happened was the laser breaking my shield and me getting rested, which lost me the set. @_@

edit: Once when I was playing friendlies my opponent ended up on randall and decided to side b to the edge (he was fox). I made the read of all reads and wavedashed to the edge right before he did it.

Last edited:

GeN17

Smash Rookie
NNID
MageWolf
I was playing against a Marth in friendlies back in February and we were both standing in place for a significant amount of time. Just as the fixy-hair idle animation started up, he tried to do a F-Tilt and it looked super funky. The animation went a bit weird (it sort of looked like F-Tilt except his sword didn't go very far out and Marth didn't lean at all) and it looked like the edge of the hitbox was off. I've tried experimenting with it again, but couldn't re-replicate it because I have no clue how the idle animations work.
That sounds freaking hilarious.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, hate to jump on the Sm4sh bandwagon, but this happened to me. I was jiggs.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Repeatedly uthrow-uair combo on friends Marth using pichu. 3 stocked him doing this repeatedly. He's much, much better at melee than me and was irate. I don't think I've beaten him since lol

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Young Link taunt against Falco while up 3-1; Falco goes for the fsmash but somehow ****s up and goes side b off the edge. One of the trolliest moments of my life

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
I think the best thing about smash is that no matter how rigid the player, how serious they are, no matter how long they've played and will continue to play, cool **** will always happen and laughter will ensue.

Since you guys are talking about Smash 4 stories, its all I can remember. Recently my friends were taking turns in doubles fighting two level 50 amiibos, Luigi and Mario (and drinking a lot during). I was on Puff and my friend was on falcon. He got knocked out and I had 1 stock left and both the amiibos had a stock left. I didn't really think I'd win because puff does not trade well and amiibos already have ridiculous everything. I rolled between them, shielded and got a double rest OoS and nearly burst my lungs screaming.

pretty good time/10.

Last edited:

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
I think the best thing about smash is that no matter how rigid the player, how serious they are, no matter how long they've played and will continue to play, cool **** will always happen and laughter will ensue.

Since you guys are talking about Smash 4 stories, its all I can remember. Recently my friends were taking turns in doubles fighting two level 50 amiibos, Luigi and Mario (and drinking a lot during). I was on Puff and my friend was on falcon. He got knocked out and I had 1 stock left and both the amiibos had a stock left. I didn't really think I'd win because puff does not trade well and amiibos already have ridiculous everything. I rolled between them, shielded and got a double rest OoS and nearly burst my lungs screaming.

pretty good time/10.
Thats awesome. I could never achieve that ROFL.

Moleyster

Smash Rookie
When playing with my buddies, one of my friends got 4 stocked by another using the Kirby suicide sucking advanced technique

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
1) Phantom Rests.

2) Friend claims if a Falcon miss times down-throw knee you can rest him. Call BS as he's said this for years and never proved it. Proves it on last stack.

3) Friend as Falco broke a Link's shield. Link lands on low platform on Dreamland with 25%. Before Link lands he starts charging an up smash under the platform claiming he "panicked". Gets the hit and acquaintance next to him looks at him and says "Nice punish".

Proof that this game is awesome with friends.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
A while back I was playing my friend, I was :peachmelee:, he was :falcomelee:. He has the best fundamentals I have ever seen : lazer me like crazy, 90% tech-chase, really just not getting hit, evading follow-ups, plus he brained me non-stop and baited me into noob-traps so easily it was disgusting. So basically he was just breaking my face game after game, while I tried to keep my composure and not to cry like a little baby.

Then comes this game, on FD. It started out just like the ones before, but somehow I managed to clutch a few kills while holding on to my stocks a bit better, so we come down to last stock (needless to say that didn't occur too often). We both noticed that something was different. I could actually take this game, and he could actually lose to me. So things got really tense at that point, our other friends were hanging out with beers and chatting, not minding us in the least, but slowly they got quiet as their attention shifted to us and to the epic battle that was taking place...

So here I was, leaning 20cm away frow the screen, my teeth clenchend, every muscle tensed at maximum, with sweat dripping on my forehead. My body was responding to everything happening in the game, twitching in surprise and making sillly faces. My friend didn't seem indifferent either, with his baddest murder face on, you could feel a fire ball of rage radiating from him, and for the first time I could smell his fear. And oh did It taste delicious.

We both got stray hits on each other, neither of us getting anything serious. He was playing 100% defensive at this point, while I, at my own stupefaction, started to go in with succes. I rode him down accross the stage, knocking him down ten times in a row, I could already taste victory, and felt empowered like never before... Too much actually. Beccause at this pivotal moment -he was slowly getting up, crippeled buy his bruises, at a ridiculous %, standing right at the edge- he saw below the cliff, the pit that would swallow him whole, where he would fall to his doom, broken for the reminder of his existence. Looking back, time froze as a sight a thousand times more horrifying struck his heart : A figure, suspended in the air, surrounded by dazzling, heavenly light, about to come down on him with the force of all the titans combined. He felt like a very little bird, while his soul changed states to liquid before evaporating, as if trying to take off from his physical body before its annihilation. Princess Peach Toadstool was no more : instead she had transfigured into a new form, riding the black horses of the tartarus Æthon, Alastor, Nyctéus and Orphnéus, and wielding a sword bound by shadow and flame, ready to strike down upon her foe with great vengeance and furious anger. He looked up and saw, instead of her golden hair, flames burning so bright they could swallow the world and turn it to ashes, he couldn't see her face beccause of the unearthly darkness that clung to it, save her eyes. Eyes she seemed to have taken from medusa, her gaze so petrifying it could turn to stone any who laid eyes upon her.

Then, right at the crossroad, at the moment before the teacup shatters and time resumes its flow, my friend remembered something. He remembered he was smarter than me. So he pressed L and flicked his control stick right, causing his character to roll through my attack. My f-air hit nothing but air. Incredulous, I turned around only to see a metal boot closing in to my face very fast. I ate his roundhouse kick right in the teeth. I thought I was done for. This would be the time I almost beat him. I let my shoulders fall down and looked up. But doing so, my fingers sliped and made on their own a very special input : what I would later know as SDI or Smash Directionnal Influence. I should have been sent falling to my demise and yet, to my stupor, I was hardly even knocked away. Reacting at what I never could have anticipated, I hastily threw out a nair, which hit him with a very late hitbox, barely sending him offstage. Now standing at the edge, I tried to catch his DJ with the stupidest move you could think of in that situation : d-tilt. I never knew this move was a meteor smash. I've watched most of Armada's peach there is to see on youtube, plus some other peaches, and never ever did I see a peach even try to go for it. I learned it's beccause it's very short reach, low priority and fairly long start-up lag make it way too impractical for edgegarding purposes.

Nevertheless, that stupid d-tilt hit, that stupid d-tilt meteor smashed him, throwing him at the speed of light down into the blastzone, and that stupid d-tilt brought the most grotesque ending possible to one of the most epic and nerve-testing game I've ever played (along with that time I did a 3 stock comeback on another friend when I was on my last stock already at 120%).

It took me a full second to realize what just happened in front of our unbelieving eyes. Then I popped off like in the GRsmash videos and yelled like a ******, and I'm a really calm person. Sometimes I still try to get that d-tilt meteor, but to no avail. I suppose things like that are the domain of divine intervention, and can never be re-enacted by mortals alone. Maybe it's better that way, to leave this imperishable memory untouched, to cherish until my last day...

BUT DANG HIS SORRY ASS GOT REKT !!! :falcomelee: Lame Falco is his name.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
A while back I was playing my friend, I was :peachmelee:, he was :falcomelee:. He has the best fundamentals I have ever seen : lazer me like crazy, 90% tech-chase, really just not getting hit, evading follow-ups, plus he brained me non-stop and baited me into noob-traps so easily it was disgusting. So basically he was just breaking my face game after game, while I tried to keep my composure and not to cry like a little baby.

Then comes this game, on FD. It started out just like the ones before, but somehow I managed to clutch a few kills while holding on to my stocks a bit better, so we come down to last stock (needless to say that didn't occur too often). We both noticed that something was different. I could actually take this game, and he could actually lose to me. So things got really tense at that point, our other friends were hanging out with beers and chatting, not minding us in the least, but slowly they got quiet as their attention shifted to us and to the epic battle that was taking place...

So here I was, leaning 20cm away frow the screen, my teeth clenchend, every muscle tensed at maximum, with sweat dripping on my forehead. My body was responding to everything happening in the game, twitching in surprise and making sillly faces. My friend didn't seem indifferent either, with his baddest murder face on, you could feel a fire ball of rage radiating from him, and for the first time I could smell his fear. And oh did It taste delicious.

We both got stray hits on each other, neither of us getting anything serious. He was playing 100% defensive at this point, while I, at my own stupefaction, started to go in with succes. I rode him down accross the stage, knocking him down ten times in a row, I could already taste victory, and felt empowered like never before... Too much actually. Beccause at this pivotal moment -he was slowly getting up, crippeled buy his bruises, at a ridiculous %, standing right at the edge- he saw below the cliff, the pit that would swallow him whole, where he would fall to his doom, broken for the reminder of his existence. Looking back, time froze as a sight a thousand times more horrifying struck his heart : A figure, suspended in the air, surrounded by dazzling, heavenly light, about to come down on him with the force of all the titans combined. He felt like a very little bird, while his soul changed states to liquid before evaporating, as if trying to take off from his physical body before its annihilation. Princess Peach Toadstool was no more : instead she had transfigured into a new form, riding the black horses of the tartarus Æthon, Alastor, Nyctéus and Orphnéus, and wielding a sword bound by shadow and flame, ready to strike down upon her foe with great vengeance and furious anger. He looked up and saw, instead of her golden hair, flames burning so bright they could swallow the world and turn it to ashes, he couldn't see her face beccause of the unearthly darkness that clung to it, save her eyes. Eyes she seemed to have taken from medusa, her gaze so petrifying it could turn to stone any who laid eyes upon her.

Then, right at the crossroad, at the moment before the teacup shatters and time resumes its flow, my friend remembered something. He remembered he was smarter than me. So he pressed L and flicked his control stick right, causing his character to roll through my attack. My f-air hit nothing but air. Incredulous, I turned around only to see a metal boot closing in to my face very fast. I ate his roundhouse kick right in the teeth. I thought I was done for. This would be the time I almost beat him. I let my shoulders fall down and looked up. But doing so, my fingers sliped and made on their own a very special input : what I would later know as SDI or Smash Directionnal Influence. I should have been sent falling to my demise and yet, to my stupor, I was hardly even knocked away. Reacting at what I never could have anticipated, I hastily threw out a nair, which hit him with a very late hitbox, barely sending him offstage. Now standing at the edge, I tried to catch his DJ with the stupidest move you could think of in that situation : d-tilt. I never knew this move was a meteor smash. I've watched most of Armada's peach there is to see on youtube, plus some other peaches, and never ever did I see a peach even try to go for it. I learned it's beccause it's very short reach, low priority and fairly long start-up lag make it way too impractical for edgegarding purposes.

Nevertheless, that stupid d-tilt hit, that stupid d-tilt meteor smashed him, throwing him at the speed of light down into the blastzone, and that stupid d-tilt brought the most grotesque ending possible to one of the most epic and nerve-testing game I've ever played (along with that time I did a 3 stock comeback on another friend when I was on my last stock already at 120%).

It took me a full second to realize what just happened in front of our unbelieving eyes. Then I popped off like in the GRsmash videos and yelled like a ******, and I'm a really calm person. Sometimes I still try to get that d-tilt meteor, but to no avail. I suppose things like that are the domain of divine intervention, and can never be re-enacted by mortals alone. Maybe it's better that way, to leave this imperishable memory untouched, to cherish until my last day...

BUT DANG HIS SORRY *** GOT REKT !!! :falcomelee: Lame Falco is his name.
Carve this **** into a stone tablet, dude. ****

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I was doing doubles when the best thing happened. Basically, I was :jigglypuffmelee: and my teammate was :falcomelee: and the other team consisted of a :marthmelee: and a :sheikmelee:, and we played on Battlefield. Us four play our match until it boils down to just me ( :jigglypuffmelee: ) and the :sheikmelee:, both with two stocks. We have our trade-offs and we both take a stock off of one another. On the final stock, I ended up landing a rest, but it was off of the stage. That rest sent :sheikmelee: into a star KO. Everything seemed in place for my teammate and I to win, but then guess what? I ( :jigglypuffmelee: ) SDed because of that rest before :sheikmelee: was star KOed. Then :sheikmelee: and :marthmelee: went off on their merrily way to steal $14 from my teammate and I.

Every time I look back at it, I laugh at how salty I was for the rest of the day.

haha, dirty puns.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
One time I got a fully charged neutral B with Roy on some Samus player in friendlies. I paused the game on the frame he got hit and just poped the **** out of my seat.

and then another time I beat this Marth player with my Roy, felt real god damn good man.

On a separate occasion this time in tournament I was doing Falcon dittos (like a week before I became devoted to Roy) and we were playing on PS. I can't remember how we got in this position, but what ended up happening was he was directly underneath the stage and I was down and to the right of the stage just trying to recover. I did falcon's up-B thinking it would be safe but as I was going up I ended up command grabbing him.

No big deal I though so Falcon did his thing where he whispers sweet nothings into the other person's ear then humps them so hard they get sent flying away. However the other falcon could react out of it faster then I could so he did his upB but he was facing away from the ledge so he couldn't grab it. Then I did my up-B and grabbed him again.

We repeated this process of me Up-B grabbing him below the stage and him just trying to get out of the Falcon molestation combo about 8 times until we got to the point where our characters were above the stage because we had slowly begun floating up the stage with our weird new anti-20XX tech. Because we were above the stage the other person decided to get out of the Falcon abusive relationship combo by just landing on the stage and I did the same. then we both taunted at the same time paused the game and had a good laugh about it.

:yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:

GeN17

Smash Rookie
NNID
MageWolf

BUT DANG HIS SORRY *** GOT REKT !!! :falcomelee: Lame Falco is his name.
Dude, I don't know what's better, Chillin's Red Marth story or this one right here.

Lame Falco

Smash Rookie
A while back I was playing my friend, I was :peachmelee:, he was :falcomelee: blablala .... best fundamentals .... breaking my face .... blablabla ...
Wow, i would love to remember a situation that i could describe so intensely, would be awesome :)
Sadly, every fight description i try to make (with you in it, of course, for the joke you know ;) ) somewhat looks like :

" At this moment, falco took a massive advantage by (<- First words from first sentence of the text) ... blablabla ... and this is how falco defeated the evil, treacherous and false-queen peach, once again "

I'm trying to improve my story, could you please give me your ideas ? Maybe i should fantasize a lot too ...

P.S. : I'm talking about the part where you pretend you've won that one ^^ (i've calculated you had less chance to defeat me than to be struck by lightning ( 8 times in a row and attacked by a shark at the same time ) )

Trainwreckk

Smash Rookie
To me.. I do find anger to be humorous. My friend and I both have been on the melee grind to where we're 1v1ing, critquing our tech skill till we like it enough to throw it around at a local. But there's been a few times where I've seen controllers end up like
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vYK38j_tdYw
The time that I remember most.. My friend Nich, super dedicated to his one and only character, Link was playing against my falco and I pillar comboed him from coast to coast of FD. This was after him having me down two stocks. We were a little intoxicated. This man yelled "YEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" , slamed his controller, went into his room and turned the lights off while I was still looking at the T.V screen.. Eyes WIDE. My favorite moment of my performance ( not to sound conceited ) was a match between my lord and savior, Captain Falcon and my friends Marth.. And I love me some marth combos. I was just trolling ( my friend is more a fundementals player.. doesnt really strive for anything past the basica tech ) doing Hax dashing.. He was on a fresh stock.. He came to the ledge I Daird him followed by a Fair into a super quick Uair and Into a knee.. Hes DId it like champ.. I do some super slick looking moonwalks in to a pivot falcon punch and he just dropped his controller and grab his face while I took off my shirt and ran through his backyard screaming..:falconmelee:

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
To me.. I do find anger to be humorous. My friend and I both have been on the melee grind to where we're 1v1ing, critquing our tech skill till we like it enough to throw it around at a local. But there's been a few times where I've seen controllers end up like
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vYK38j_tdYw
The time that I remember most.. My friend Nich, super dedicated to his one and only character, Link was playing against my falco and I pillar comboed him from coast to coast of FD. This was after him having me down two stocks. We were a little intoxicated. This man yelled "YEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" , slamed his controller, went into his room and turned the lights off while I was still looking at the T.V screen.. Eyes WIDE. My favorite moment of my performance ( not to sound conceited ) was a match between my lord and savior, Captain Falcon and my friends Marth.. And I love me some marth combos. I was just trolling ( my friend is more a fundementals player.. doesnt really strive for anything past the basica tech ) doing Hax dashing.. He was on a fresh stock.. He came to the ledge I Daird him followed by a Fair into a super quick Uair and Into a knee.. Hes DId it like champ.. I do some super slick looking moonwalks in to a pivot falcon punch and he just dropped his controller and grab his face while I took off my shirt and ran through his backyard screaming..:falconmelee:
That's pretty extreme! Your story got a small laugh out of me!

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Friendlies: I was playing with a group I regularly play with. I went for a Young Link super jump and flew right into a ganondorf u-tilt. After that, I was kicked off the set-up for like an hour for being disgraced so hard.

There were two tournaments in one day. At the first, I played Young Link against a Jigglypuff player (I normally play Sheik) and I lost. I was very salty. At the next tournament, I met up in bracket with that same Jigglypuff. I went Young Link again and took game 1 on their puff.. but they took game 2 by 3-stocking my YL with Pichu... I Won the set, but I didn't at all feel redeemed from losing to them earlier in the day.. in fact, I felt worse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom