• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What type of Smash content do you enjoy?

What type of Smash content do you most enjoy?

• Highlight / Combo Videos

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Event Recap Vlog's

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Stream VoD's

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Event Recap Photoblog

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Technical Blogs / Guides

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
Hello~

I am in charge of PlayForKeeps's media operations. We are a company based in Vancouver, BC which hosts the bulk of Van's Smash Bros. P:M events. I need to know what type of content the community most enjoys. I am looking to get an idea of where our focus should be initially, as our media team will be limited to start, and I want to be able to produce as much enjoyable content for the community as possible. Right now we are almost strictly event streams and YouTube highlight / recap videos, along with tournament VoD's, and I would like to expand this towards blogs and technical summaries / guides, if the interest is there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you guys want to check out the YouTube channels and our Facebook page, I would love to hear any constructive criticisms you have about our current media.

I would love to start bringing more premium content to the community as soon as I can, and I really appreciate your guys help / time.

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
Tournament VoDs are excellent, it's always good seeing pro players play.
Do you find you are much more likely to watch a stream VoD if its on YouTube rather than Twitch? Sometimes I find the Twitch player unreliable and annoying to skip parts of the video with.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
I'm much more likely to watch if it's on youtube. Also if the players' names and scores are displayed correctly (in the title as well as the video itself -- it's much easier to find "Odds Bowser" on youtube than "Odds", etc.

Technical blogs/guides are awesome if they're kept succinct. Rambling hour-long descriptions of a character's entire moveset are profoundly unhelpful.

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
I'm much more likely to watch if it's on youtube. Also if the players' names and scores are displayed correctly (in the title as well as the video itself -- it's much easier to find "Odds Bowser" on youtube than "Odds", etc.

Technical blogs/guides are awesome if they're kept succinct. Rambling hour-long descriptions of a character's entire moveset are profoundly unhelpful.

Thank you so much for your time. I am currently working on consolidating all of our YouTube Video titles and descriptions, and all newer vods moving forward should have nice splash screens prior to the match with player names and character portraits. Is this sort of thing what you had in mind? http://bit.ly/1zjWLrr

As far as technical blogs and guides, I was thinking something more along the lines of having our stronger players sound off on a very specific element of gameplay (spacing, edgeguarding, etcetera), metagame shifts, stuff like that. Would that kind of thing be interesting? Coming from a Starcraft background, listening to a passionate skilled player speak or reading their writing on certain nuances of gameplay is something I always enjoyed.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Twitch crashes on every browser I run on my machine, no matter what browser, and no matter what updates I apply. I much prefer to have resources on Youtube to watch over. Live streaming is great and all, but Twitch never caught on with me since I cannot seem to access it.

As for what I'd like to listen to you all talk about, going over Project M's metagame over its history would be nice. 3.0's been out for a while, and it'd be nice to have a larger source talk about the subject. If possible, the thing about the game I've always loved is helping to develop the scene in my state. Montana's always been something of a dead zone until lately, sort of a 'little guy'. It'd be nice to see you all reach out in some way to developing areas and show how the scene develops.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Do you find you are much more likely to watch a stream VoD if its on YouTube rather than Twitch? Sometimes I find the Twitch player unreliable and annoying to skip parts of the video with.
Yes, YouTube > Twitch player. I'll dig through Twitch archives if I don't have a choice but a well-annotated Youtube playlist (or even just easily found videos on Youtube) are much better, and I can even access them on my phone. Marking out important sets, generally Top 8 with names (Winners Semis, Losers Quarters, Losers Semis, Winners Finals, Losers Finals, Grands) is the best way to access and organize the videos.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
I would love competitive guides that not only tell people ticks, tricks and techs, but also why they should do them using videos of specific situations that could actually happen at high level play.

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
Yes, YouTube > Twitch player. I'll dig through Twitch archives if I don't have a choice but a well-annotated Youtube playlist (or even just easily found videos on Youtube) are much better, and I can even access them on my phone. Marking out important sets, generally Top 8 with names (Winners Semis, Losers Quarters, Losers Semis, Winners Finals, Losers Finals, Grands) is the best way to access and organize the videos.
I plan on working through our YouTube channel and overhauling all the past videos in this way :3 Its going to be a lot of work, since we have a lot of videos, but from here on out it should be simple to keep it together. Thanks for your input :)

I would love competitive guides that not only tell people ticks, tricks and techs, but also why they should do them using videos of specific situations that could actually happen at high level play.
These are great ideas. Thank you :)

Frost | Odds

Thank you so much for your time. I am currently working on consolidating all of our YouTube Video titles and descriptions, and all newer vods moving forward should have nice splash screens prior to the match with player names and character portraits. Is this sort of thing what you had in mind? http://bit.ly/1zjWLrr
Yeah, that's perfect.

As far as technical blogs and guides, I was thinking something more along the lines of having our stronger players sound off on a very specific element of gameplay (spacing, edgeguarding, etcetera), metagame shifts, stuff like that. Would that kind of thing be interesting? Coming from a Starcraft background, listening to a passionate skilled player speak or reading their writing on certain nuances of gameplay is something I always enjoyed.
Of course that would be interesting. I'm also from a SC/RTS background ;o

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's perfect.

Of course that would be interesting. I'm also from a SC/RTS background ;o
Nice! We should play a few maps some time, would be a good time. I havent played in ages so Id be hard pressed to give you a good game but it would be fun nonetheless

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
If you could get top level/knowledgeable players to help you produce character guides similar to WindyCitySmash's (these), I would definitely tune in.

Frost | Odds

Nice! We should play a few maps some time, would be a good time. I havent played in ages so Id be hard pressed to give you a good game but it would be fun nonetheless
Can't, sorry. The reason I quit RTS was it was injuring my hands. I have a joint condition that renders me basically unable to play fast PC games now :/

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
If you could get top level/knowledgeable players to help you produce character guides similar to WindyCitySmash's (these), I would definitely tune in.
This is neat, Ill show this to our top players and see how they feel about doing this kind of thing.

Can't, sorry. The reason I quit RTS was it was injuring my hands. I have a joint condition that renders me basically unable to play fast PC games now :/
Im so sorry to hear that dude :(

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
I'm down to make a character guide for falcon at least. I also think it would be a good idea to explain during the match by detail of each situation during the match; for example "I stomped on the platform at 3:05 instead of a knee to continue the combo and do more damage". Thinking of ways to help people improve in smash will also improve our smash community as a whole including play for keeps.

Frost | Odds

I'm down to make a character guide for falcon at least. I also think it would be a good idea to explain during the match by detail of each situation during the match; for example "I stomped on the platform at 3:05 instead of a knee to continue the combo and do more damage". Thinking of ways to help people improve in smash will also improve our smash community as a whole including play for keeps.
Mofugga you comin to Canada Cup right?

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
Dude Id love if you would commentate some of your VoD's afterwards and what was going through your head at the time. I think people would eat that up.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'd love guides/videos about top level players just talking about their mains and the character's strength/weaknesses. Wouldn't even have to be a technical guide about something specific, or all encompassing, just general character overviews by good players and let them talk about/share whatever they find interesting about the character

Top Bottom