• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to expect from Locals?

nooch33

Smash Rookie
Sup all, just getting into competitive smash and I have yet to go to an actual local tournament (seems like there are quite a few in North/Central NJ)

What should I expect from these events? Is it like a Lan party or pure competition? What's the overall etiquette like at these events? I know I'm gonna get my ass whooped but is it worth the drive and money if you suck?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's a bit of both, people are competing but people will still play friendlies with you all the time.

Even if you go 0-2 or drown in pools you can still practice and just have fun with everyone around you.

nooch33

Smash Rookie
It's a bit of both, people are competing but people will still play friendlies with you all the time.

Even if you go 0-2 or drown in pools you can still practice and just have fun with everyone around you.

Seems worth it then, would suck going up against people like Nairo or Zero, but anything is better than playing laggers on FG

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Sup all, just getting into competitive smash and I have yet to go to an actual local tournament (seems like there are quite a few in North/Central NJ)

What should I expect from these events? Is it like a Lan party or pure competition? What's the overall etiquette like at these events? I know I'm gonna get my *** whooped but is it worth the drive and money if you suck?
Red Ryu covered the expectation part, so I'll cover the rest.

Etiquette is casual. Just take a shower and put on deodorant before you go, seriously. People get into it and work up a sweat, and some people smell really bad, (myself included). So clean up before you go and you can stroll in there with pajamas, slippers, and a robe if you really wanted to, no one cares about it much.

Also, talk to the TO (tournament organizer) and thank them for setting up and organizing the event. They will appreciate it a lot.

Lastly, if you really don't want to enter the tournament, then you can just pay the venue fee and play friendlies/talk to people/watch the big games. And if you don't want to drive there, then there is still improvement to be made at home. There is value to going to these tournaments though because you can find intelligent and skilled sparring partners that can greatly improve your play.

nooch33

Smash Rookie
Red Ryu covered the expectation part, so I'll cover the rest.

Etiquette is casual. Just take a shower and put on deodorant before you go, seriously. People get into it and work up a sweat, and some people smell really bad, (myself included). So clean up before you go and you can stroll in there with pajamas, slippers, and a robe if you really wanted to, no one cares about it much.

Also, talk to the TO (tournament organizer) and thank them for setting up and organizing the event. They will appreciate it a lot.

Lastly, if you really don't want to enter the tournament, then you can just pay the venue fee and play friendlies/talk to people/watch the big games. And if you don't want to drive there, then there is still improvement to be made at home. There is value to going to these tournaments though because you can find intelligent and skilled sparring partners that can greatly improve your play.
Haha is that why I see people wearing face masks on streams?

Also, There are two seperate fees if u want to compete? Asking cuz im broke af atm

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

Also, There are two seperate fees if u want to compete? Asking cuz im broke af atm
If you are talking about Japanese, they wear masks to prevent contagious diseases, because their tournaments are super crowded. I haven't seen many americans do it.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588

Adding on to what L9999 L9999 said, the Japanese are very health-conscious, so that's why they're wearing face masks.

And there are two separate fees, a typical one is a $5 venue fee and a $5 singles fee. That's why I mentioned just paying the venue fee and play friendlies.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
It wouldn't suck going up against people like Nairo or ZeRo. It would be good practice.
No, good practice is going up against a moderately better player than you.

Getting destroyed without getting a hit in is not good practice, merely demoralizing.

Badmojojojo

Smash Rookie
Regarding eitiquette, I notice pro players on YouTube never talk during a match. Is there no smack talk allowed or are they just concentrating hard? I like to have friendly banter when I play locally, like when Spider-man calls Rhino a "heavyweight wrestling failure". Obviosly, cursing is frowned upon, but does banter create too much hostility or the potential for fights? I have seen some salty moments where losers of a match Slam their controllers. Don't want to take it to that level.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Regarding eitiquette, I notice pro players on YouTube never talk during a match. Is there no smack talk allowed or are they just concentrating hard? I like to have friendly banter when I play locally, like when Spider-man calls Rhino a "heavyweight wrestling failure". Obviosly, cursing is frowned upon, but does banter create too much hostility or the potential for fights? I have seen some salty moments where losers of a match Slam their controllers. Don't want to take it to that level.
Probably concentrating: noting your preferences when someone's underneath you, counting the ledge getup options you use, etc.

Smack talk mid-match is bad, unless you know each other really well and he engages with you. Even "easy banter" can bother some people. It's very player-specific. It's more lax in friendlies, but in bracket some are there to win money.

nooch33

Smash Rookie
Probably concentrating: noting your preferences when someone's underneath you, counting the ledge getup options you use, etc.

Smack talk mid-match is bad, unless you know each other really well and he engages with you. Even "easy banter" can bother some people. It's very player-specific. It's more lax in friendlies, but in bracket some are there to win money.
Theres a good chance you could talk **** to the wrong person as well.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
No, good practice is going up against a moderately better player than you.

Getting destroyed without getting a hit in is not good practice, merely demoralizing.
It's not demoralizing if you don't make it so. And honestly, you don't think you'd even get a hit on either of them? That says a lot about you.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
It's not demoralizing if you don't make it so. And honestly, you don't think you'd even get a hit on either of them? That says a lot about you.
It depends on your skill level really. Myself? I recently had an opportunity to play Zinoto & Locus. I saved the matches, and learned a lot. I even managed to take a stock off both of them.

But my guess is that someone who is going to a local for a first time, has a lot to learn. I know had I fought Zinoto or Locus 16 months ago when I first started I wouldn't have been able to touch him.

And myself, it's just a game. I don't get upset about that. But I have seen so many people break down in frustration over games like that. So yes I was being presumptuous, but it's from what I've seen in general at locals.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It depends on your skill level really. Myself? I recently had an opportunity to play Zinoto & Locus. I saved the matches, and learned a lot. I even managed to take a stock off both of them.

But my guess is that someone who is going to a local for a first time, has a lot to learn. I know had I fought Zinoto or Locus 16 months ago when I first started I wouldn't have been able to touch him.

And myself, it's just a game. I don't get upset about that. But I have seen so many people break down in frustration over games like that. So yes I was being presumptuous, but it's from what I've seen in general at locals.
I never played Zinoto in person, but I knew that name sounded familiar because I've played against him online. (My brother uploaded the two matches.) I'm pretty sure I first saw his name back in Brawl.

I rarely have any time to play Sm4sh, and I won't be arrogant to say that if I faced ZeRo or Nairo, that I'd have a chance. I'd do my damnedest to try, though. And I think that's really the thing. The way you approach life depends on your attitude. If you lose, you can't go any lower. All you can do is move up, and humans are one of the most adaptive living organisms on Earth. Quite honestly, I think I would find the matches against ZeRo or Nairo exhilarating if I had the opportunity to play them.

nooch33

Smash Rookie
I ended up getting **** on a couple weeks ago at a local but it was dope I got to see what competitive offline play was like and how ****ing annoying it is to play against Lucina as falcon haha

Anyway looking forward towards going back to see how I improved was definitely alot of fun tho and now I'm working on pocket cloud

Top Bottom