• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do against Metaknight

BlackBrawler

Smash Rookie
I have a big problem with aggresive meta knight users. I just cant win against them no matter what i do. Well then again there is one thing that works which is Kirbyciding and Spiking with Up B. But attempting to kirbycide usual just ends up with me being hit by metaknight N-air. Does anyone have any tips?.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
meta knight is a pretty fast and challenging opponent... i brawl lots of beat mk but i end up winning theyre hard but try dodging alot is wut i can tell you but dodge correctly you dont wanna be randomly dodgin for nor reason to get punished =P

storm92

Smash Ace
I went through exactly what you did about a month ago. It seemed that MK was an impossible opponent, and his sheer speed overwhelmed me.
Luckily, all it takes is overpracticing against him. When you fight CPU's, set them to only Meta Knight, and when you fight friends ask them (if they're decent with him) to be MKs to get used to him. You'll eventually learn that as long as you keep your spacing with SH'd Bairs, Fsmash his Tornado, Spot Dodge instead of sitting in a shield, and Air Dodge then you'll be fine. Kirby overall does more damage with his moves, so you can beat him. It's a tough match-up, but with practice you'll learn how to fight him.

BlackBrawler

Smash Rookie
actually just yesterday i was practicing on lvl 9 MK at 2x speed and my reeaction has become a lot better to his attacks i have yet toface a real Mk user since i have no wifi atm.

storm92

Smash Ace
The best thing you can do is fight in-person due to no lag whatsoever, as well as having more of the "mindgames" with someone sitting next to you rather than (fill in # here) distance away.
Just watch what the MK does most. If he likes to dashgrab, when you see him approach mix it up with some SH Bairs or spot dodges. If he likes approaching from the air, shield the first hit and then punish him.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
Basically what Storm said.

I usually just sit in the air with constant back airs, just don't be right above him where you're vulnerable for an up b. If he tornadoes, hit the ground and crouch, then block when he gets to you. Against Metaknight on the ground, I find myself using up tilt so much more against him compared to any other character. It's the only real ground move that can keep up with Metaknight's attacks. Save your forward smash for when he's at a KO % to kill him at the low 100%s.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Lots of grab too since kirbys grab range is just barely shorter than metaknights sword lol. So you can shield grab him a lot :)

Oh and something I like to do is randomly mix in hammers when you would bair (true for all characters) since if they start trying to airdodge your bairs, the hammer starts off just slow enough to hit them at the end of an airdodge

lilthunder91013

Smash Cadet
The most helpful thing i found was watching videos against the character to find out some strategies against them

as for the metaknight problem specifically all has pretty much been said all ready except if they will fall for it i would say kirbicide

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Learn how to play Meta Knight, practice with him. And you'll have less trouble against him when you use Kirby. Learn about him, until you feel like you know enough about Metaknight. Take into account about how fast he attacks, and what moves he uses for defense, and offense.

storm92

Smash Ace
as for the metaknight problem specifically all has pretty much been said all ready except if they will fall for it i would say kirbicide
You'd be surprised, hahaha.
A MK sees me go (both at 2 stock, I'm at 100% and he's at around 15%), jump above twice above the stage, I start to Inhale about a SH distance above the stage and he gets the genius idea to try to edgeguard me. O.o
Then instead of trying to button smash out, he proceeds to yell johns.

LordZero

Smash Cadet
Most of this comes from fighting the computer since I only know a few smash players and none of them main MK so take this advice with a grain of salt

Try using up B to keep up a defense, this keeps him somewhat away and if you hit them right you can easily go into a b-air or hammer their face (this only works if the the second hit hits them behind you). You should also know that you are a lot better then him in the air and your feet nearly match is sword (I think) Kirby also has more kill moves then MK and he can kill at lower percentages using F-Smash, D-Smash; plus Kirby combos can easily get Meta into the 40-50 range if you do it right.

Hard, but it can be done

pnoid

Smash Cadet
my favorite is when he's trying to attack you with his up B move, coming in from the edge (not when ur above him in the initial strike, when he is swooping down at you) do the up b move to get a solid 15 damage on him.

Dont:
unless he's vulnerable, do not Fsmash... his downsmash is a thousand times faster
Roll behind him, that downsmash will get you.
do:
avoid the downsmash... have a friend strategically spam that move and you'll know what i mean.. one of the cheapest moves in the game next to snake's tilt a move

storm92

Smash Ace
Also, periodically use ground Hammers. Not randomly, but it is one of the best simple mindgames a Kirby has.
It keeps the MK on his feet and anxious, because he knows that if the hammer connects it can kill at around 80%, and it's a lot like Falcon Punch- they can see it coming but a lot of the time people can't decide whether or not to dodge/shield or to attack you and then freeze.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
it's a lot like Falcon Punch- they can see it coming but a lot of the time people can't decide whether or not to dodge/shield or to attack you and then freeze.
haha. "FALCON-"
"Oh @#$%, falcon punch! I'm only at 50%, but that will KO me for sure if it hits me! Should I interrupt his attack, or-"
"PAAAAAAAAUNNNNCCCCHHHH!!!"

Against Meta Knight...I dunno. Everything everyone else has said works. If you have distance, up B can be good, if you don't spam it. The dash attack seems to work pretty well too. I don't know, Meta Knight doesn't usually seem too tough for me :/

CompassTosser

Smash Apprentice
Also, periodically use ground Hammers. Not randomly, but it is one of the best simple mindgames a Kirby has.
It keeps the MK on his feet and anxious, because he knows that if the hammer connects it can kill at around 80%, and it's a lot like Falcon Punch- they can see it coming but a lot of the time people can't decide whether or not to dodge/shield or to attack you and then freeze.
ya I find the hammer swings a little faster if you short hop then use it. i tend to sidestep and keep holding r (gamecube controller) so it goes into a shield after and then you can shield grab

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
If you ever get lucky and inhale him, then steal his tornado and make him suffer with his own move! I think that should even out the match.

Top Bottom