• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What the heck is a "Scrub"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dori.

Smash Apprentice
Scrub - person that can't adapt to a changing metagame because they have a mental block that creates their own set of rules of how a game should be played.

i.e.:
"throws are cheap and anyone that uses them is a cheater" - but throws are a legitimate way to break defense
"man that guy just ran away from me and spammed projectiles at he, he wasn't playing fair" - but playing keepaway is a legitimate tactic to win

noobs/newbs/newbies are just people that are new at the game/learning it, they are not scrubs (though nothing would stop them from becoming one)

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
This guy named C- nevermind. /jk

In general, a scrub would be some1 who can't adapt to new things, relies on something that works but is easy to get around, some1 who is plain dumb, and/or some1 who watches episodes of Fred off Youtube.:samus2:

Mith8

Smash Cadet
Scrub - person that can't adapt to a changing metagame because they have a mental block that creates their own set of rules of how a game should be played.

i.e.:
"throws are cheap and anyone that uses them is a cheater" - but throws are a legitimate way to break defense
"man that guy just ran away from me and spammed projectiles at he, he wasn't playing fair" - but playing keepaway is a legitimate tactic to win

noobs/newbs/newbies are just people that are new at the game/learning it, they are not scrubs (though nothing would stop them from becoming one)
Okay, so my friends are almost all scrubs?

Also... explain metagame usage?

dori.

Smash Apprentice
Did you read the Sirlin article?

That explains pretty well what I was trying to convey.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Sirlin while intelligent and having a good basis for video games, did a terrible job at telling what a scrub is.

It places a derogatory term on a group he's not part of labeling with a definition that is quite vague.

A scrub is someone who pretends to be amazing at a video game when they clearly aren't, they talk like they are amazing like God. People seem to put noobs in the same category which is not the case.

A noob doesn't pretend they are good at a game, they are simply new players, yet people think this is what a scrub is which is clearly wrong.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I had no idea where the term came from up until now.

Smashing one's face into the controller, this was a common tactic in Streetfighters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom