• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what smash 4 character do you want in melee

what would be your pick

• bayonnetta

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • bowser jr

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • cloud

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • corrin

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • duck hunt

• greninja

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • lil mac

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • lucina

• megaman

• pacman

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • palutena

• robin

• rosaluma

• ryu

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • shulk

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • villager

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • wii fit

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • the miis

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
if you could bring any sm4sh newcomer to melee with melee mechanics what character would you choose, also brawl characters don't count since that's basically what PM is.

i know some of you are un familiar so here is the list (:4bayonetta::4bowserjr::4cloud::4corrin::4duckhunt::4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman::4pacman::4palutena::4robinm::rosalina::4ryu::4shulk::4villager::4wiifitm::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:).

for me i would love to see shulk's the monado arts in melee, but i have to go with ryu with the extended combos and directional inputs those are already bat**** crazy and melee can compound them, boynetta's combos and witch time stuff would be intresting aswell (SDI might ruin them tho).

but yeah i play and love both games. so i don't want this to become a hate thread (plz).

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Villager plz. Having that insane edgeguarding game, great aerials + l-cancel and ledge invincibility on regrab? do want.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Holy **** SHFFL bair and fair = better falco SH laser.
cuz it can actually kill~ Also I'd like to see someone get past a tree edgeguard since there's no jump + airdodge and still being able to act afterwards in this game xD

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
cuz it can actually kill~ Also I'd like to see someone get past a tree edgeguard since there's no jump + airdodge and still being able to act afterwards in this game xD
the year is 20farmfarm everyone plays villager to TA levels the winner is determind by who can camp more patiently.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Well, Project M doesn't count as a real game, so I'm gonna mention who I was originally going to mention anyway.

Brawl character: Meta Knight. As Mew2King stated in the documentary, he's the one character who feels the most like a Melee character. Given how OP he is in Brawl, it would be interesting to see how would fare with the rest of the Melee cast.

But fine, I'll mention a Smash 4 character, too:

Little Mac. I think that would be super interesting, actually. He could function like a more extreme, grounded version of Falcon, in that he's faster, hits harder, yet has an even worse recovery. I don't know, though. I really don't like any of the newly-added characters from Smash 4.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Well, let's see...

Bayo, Lucina, Palutena (in her current form), Shulk, Greninja, Wii Fit, Miis, Robin, and Rosa didn't exist yet. Villager just came out in Japan in the N64 version of AC, but he would have still been pretty obscure. Square was trying to get as far from Nintendo as possible, Capcom might have allowed Mega Man but wouldn't have allowed someone from their main competitive series to go into a "casual" fighting game, and Pac-Man could have been a legit character. Bowser Jr. hadn't made the full transition to 3D yet (and his trophy looked really sketch because of it,) and Little Mac and Duck Hunt hadn't had modern iterations yet (although Duck Hunt still doesn't have one.)

My answer is Isaac. His game came out shortly before Melee did (I think a month or so off?) so his inclusion could have been promotional as well as creating a character who could both wield a sword and have psychic powers.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac. I think that would be super interesting, actually. He could function like a more extreme, grounded version of Falcon, in that he's faster, hits harder, yet has an even worse recovery. I don't know, though. I really don't like any of the newly-added characters from Smash 4.
little mac is actually slightly slower than falcon being third fastest to falcon's second, but yeah he hits hard with smash attacks the speed of tilts that have super armor for ages and they kill at like 60 in smash 4, that would be compounded with melee's less than great recoveries so little mac would fit right in, he also has a good combo game even if it's ground based.

for real, Ike would be great
marth with an even longer range, please stop you're giving me nightmares.

Well, let's see...

Bayo, Lucina, Palutena (in her current form), Shulk, Greninja, Wii Fit, Miis, Robin, and Rosa didn't exist yet. Villager just came out in Japan in the N64 version of AC, but he would have still been pretty obscure. Square was trying to get as far from Nintendo as possible, Capcom might have allowed Mega Man but wouldn't have allowed someone from their main competitive series to go into a "casual" fighting game, and Pac-Man could have been a legit character. Bowser Jr. hadn't made the full transition to 3D yet (and his trophy looked really sketch because of it,) and Little Mac and Duck Hunt hadn't had modern iterations yet (although Duck Hunt still doesn't have one.)

My answer is Isaac. His game came out shortly before Melee did (I think a month or so off?) so his inclusion could have been promotional as well as creating a character who could both wield a sword and have psychic powers.
yeah this doesn't make much sense but it's made from a purely gameplay standpoint (maybe melee HD), but i would asume isaac would play just like robin who uses both swords and magic.

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
RYU. The off stage shoryuken to finish, jumping off the ledge to shoryuken, the up throw into focus attacks, and *slobbers* the wavedash oos into shoryuken...

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
RYU. The off stage shoryuken to finish, jumping off the ledge to shoryuken, the up throw into focus attacks, and *slobbers* the wavedash oos into shoryuken...
carrying opponent across the stage with nair to dair combos, weak dtilt/utilt to shoyu kill confirms, utilt to dair ledge setup, stuff like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ti9r_f1IQ (sadly melee doesn't have the glorious footstools).

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
Greninja would be top tier in Melee imo.

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta looks like they were torn out of mele in the first place with those 0 to death combos sm4sh players hate lmao

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
Smash 4 metaknight anyone? I feel like he's one of the characters who would fit in next to the melee cast.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy would be CRAZY good in a Melee enviorment. And you know it's true. It'd basically be :foxmelee: with :jigglypuffmelee: aerials.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
:4zss: I feel like she would be like a sheik/samus mix if she were in melee.

Last edited:

Agent0fArtifice

Smash Rookie
just imagine the movement Cloud would have in melee, even with a moveset identical to his sm4sh one, it'd be super sweet to watch

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Cloud would be so slick. I could see him being mid-tier, because his recovery gets even worse with Edgehogging
sh upairs and finishing touch confirms would be crazy good in melee.
Bayonetta looks like they were torn out of mele in the first place with those 0 to death combos sm4sh players hate lmao
bayonetta combos feel super arbitrary and forced as they were programmed in on purpose making them easy af but it would be interesting to see how melee's improved SDI would affect witch twist (her main combo stater in sm4sh).
Diddy would be CRAZY good in a Melee enviorment. And you know it's true. It'd basically be :foxmelee: with :jigglypuffmelee: aerials.
but melee doesn't have tripping so he would be denied an amazing neutral game.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
sh upairs and finishing touch confirms would be crazy good in melee.

IKR! I think he'd be ****i** brillant onstage. Think of him as LM, except Aerials are good too.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
[QUOTE="Eddie The Pacifist, post: 21185593, member: 357783"IKR! I think he'd be ****i** brillant onstage. Think of him as LM, except Aerials are good too.[/QUOTE]
like little mac with a disjoint and a chargeable ko punch with much more utility.

Last edited:

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
For me it's just really hard to imagine anyone from smash 4 in melee because of the speed. Everyone in smash 4 seems to be a slow faller, so it's hard for me to visualize someone like that who doesn't have multiple jumps like jigglypuff. Also, I feel like there moves come out slower.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
For me it's just really hard to imagine anyone from smash 4 in melee because of the speed. Everyone in smash 4 seems to be a slow faller, so it's hard for me to visualize someone like that who doesn't have multiple jumps like jigglypuff. Also, I feel like there moves come out slower.
Well, you could just increase the running, air and falling speed. Make the moves have more power and give completely ridiculous hitboxes and you got a Smash 4 character to Melee.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
It's gotta be Shulk. Gotta be. Villager is as terrifying as he should be, but Shulk, man.

Melee's almost nonexistent defensive game would make him into a rushdown monster. Higher gravity will mean that Speed mode could throw out hitboxes so fast with the SHFFL that sending someone at 30-40ish% from one side of the stage to the other with fairs would be pretty damn simple. And lower than that, you can force a techchase. The fact that powershielding still gives you pushback (in fact, more pushback than a normal full thickness shield) and shieldstun in Melee means that Buster's pressure would be insane. Also, the easy edgeguard game in Melee would make Jump and Smash even more terrifying. Shield? I could see Shield turning attacks that are combos against any other character into techchases for Shulk. Maybe.

Also, Speed lowers Shulk's relative traction and increases his air speed (not by as much as Jump for the latter) - hello, wavedashing!

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
if you check out the frame data the game really isn't all that slower except for landing lang (due to the absence of L canceling).

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
if you check out the frame data the game really isn't all that slower except for landing lang (due to the absence of L canceling).
I guess I worded it wrong What I meant slower was, the falling speed is a lot slower and the knockback is slower and there's more hitstun. The game's physics are pretty different and I feel like in smash 4 a lot of the combos and a lot of the game takes place in the air.

Top Bottom