• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What should be done with Heavenly Light?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Out of all the special moves Palutena has...I honestly feel like this is probably her worst special by far. Yes, even worse than any of her defaults combined.

At least with her default specials, I can think of some uses for them. Reflect is pretty good against characters with projectiles like Villager. Counter is fairly effective when used against characters with strong attacks like Little Mac, Bowser, Ganondorf, etc. Warp is a nice and fast recovery, and Auto-Reticle, while unreliable, can do some decent damage and irritation.

But I simply just don't understand the point of Heavenly Light. You just sit in one spot and do minor chip damage, and there's lots of endlag after using it. It just seems hugely pointless and useless to me. At least with some of her often criticized specials like AR and Counter, they could simply just be adjusted to make them work better (Give AR more range, have the projectile come out faster, make it less punishable, etc). But with HL, just the entire concept of the move seems fundamentally flawed. Even in free-for-alls, which Sakurai (for the most part) balances these games around, I'd rather be using Explosive Flame or even AR.

One thought I had is to just downright replace the move altogether with some other Uprising power, but I'd kinda hate that honestly. Heavenly Light is definitely the power that fits Palutena's character (The Goddess of Light) the most. I just think the general idea needs to be reworked.

In KI Uprising, when Pit activates Heavenly Light, he could still move around while using it. In fact, this is also a power you can use in SSB 3DS's Smash Run, and it works in the same way. So what I'm thinking is that instead of being a sitting duck, Palutena could move with it activated, just basically adding slightly more damage when attacking someone with your normals, if that makes any sense. Like Super Speed and Lightweight, there would be some cooldown period afterward where Palutena can't use it.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Heavenly Light is more of an edgeguarding tool then anything, really, and an amazing one at that. It has a MASSIVE windbox, probably the largest in the game by a decent margin, which can easily catch someone who's on higher, even, or even slightly lower ground with you height-wise, making it very difficult for the opponent to recover high. If they're going low, just short-hop off the ledge and use it, and they'll be hard-pressed to grab the ledge. After that, you just use your second jump and whatever recovery move you've chosen, and you'll be back onstage before they've hit the lower blast zone.

This is coming from somebody who doesn't even PLAY Palutena that much, so I'm sure her mains could give you some more creative uses if there are any. However, as a player who's very heavily focused on edgeguarding, and foresees it becoming very important in high-level play....this move isn't bad by any means, in fact I'd say it's a GREAT move. Just somewhat situational, after all it IS practically useless onstage.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I suppose using it as an edgeguarding tool might work, but I'm not sure. I tried experimenting with the move for a bit but couldn't get it done. Maybe someone else can find uses for it like I did for Reflect Barrier.

As a last resort, use Heavenly Light for Trophy Rush.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Wait, I wonder if you could run off the stage, use heavenly light to push the opponent back some, and then get back on stage. I would assume not because the endlag for heavenly light is pretty large (?), but that would be so wild to see.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It seems like it's designed for FFAs as a killsnatch move.

Jerk move, I know, but the hint menu outright encourages you to do this.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Did a test run of 3111 today... didn't exactly work very well as an edgeguarding tool. Plus, I really missed having a projectile :\

Genoblob

Smash Rookie
NNID
Genoblob
3DS FC
2836-0094-7248
It's pretty much useless. There's only 3 very specific uses I've found for it. You can gimp Mac, but it's more efficient to edge guard with something else. If Ness as to use PK Thunder, we can push him away from the bolt using heavenly light to gimp him. Lastly, and the most useful of the three, Palutena can heal Ness and Gunner for 62% in 3 seconds with heavenly light.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Heavenly Light is designed with two things in mind. 1) Kill stealing since it does not have knockback and has extremely high (to the upward blast zone) hitboxes. 2) Trophy Rush easy spamming. The damage it deals over time isn't too bad, but the damage does not justify the lack of safety. The wind hitboxes aren't fast enough and can barely gimp people. Losing a projectile really ruins things. So in battle, the main usage would be to just steal KOs and nothing more.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Lastly, and the most useful of the three, Palutena can heal Ness and Gunner for 62% in 3 seconds with heavenly light.
Oh hey that's cool. Hadn't heard that one before.

Interesting doubles tactic. Might make Palutena Ness/Gunner a team to watch for in the future?

Genoblob

Smash Rookie
NNID
Genoblob
3DS FC
2836-0094-7248
Oh hey that's cool. Hadn't heard that one before.

Interesting doubles tactic. Might make Palutena Ness/Gunner a team to watch for in the future?
My partner and I run this team and it's proving affective so far.

Top Bottom