• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What really grinds my gears

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
When Ness users use the same combo, PK fire, grab, down throw, forward air, jump, forward air, etc, a 40% combo
god damn this is hard to get out of, I agree is a cool and awesome combo someone made up, but now 98% of all Ness users use this, then most of them taunt saying "Wow, you really suck"(that's what I think they say) since they seem they're in a rush , they always go up to me and they don't just stay back and wait for me to come, they think there NFL pros but in virtual gaming.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Sometimes you can air dodge, counterattack, or jump out of the f-air combo. Air dodge is by far the most effective at low percents, though. Even so, I do not think this works for every character.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Yeah, Ness really lacks in combos. But every player uses their character in the same way because if it works, why not use it? As for taunts, don't take them seriously. And if their taunts say you suck and you end up winning, then they must really suck.

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I see some other Ness players use this combo. Its easy to use, but I try not to use it too much as it's easily predictable.

Tikao

Smash Ace
SDI out of the pk-fire pillar, it's not a free grab, unless you stand just right in front of him
you might get punished with an aerial or dashattack afterwards, but it is still better than getting grabbed and the combo afterwards

and if you end up getting grabbed, try to DI to the left (if ness grabbed you looking to the right and vise versa), so you end up above him, making it harder for a full fair to connect, which breaks the combo

in that case, you can still get hit by an uair, if they read your DI, which deals nearly the same damage but leaves you in a better position to be in + most people will go for the fair anyway
it's a bit of a reading game after that

this is no combo that should work even nearly as much as 98% of the time against you

Ako.

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlippinFilipino
Keep in mind that pk fire has a long animation making Ness vunerable, if you power shield or dodge the pk fire you can punish him for it.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
If you're repeatedly getting caught in the dthrow combo, there's something to be said about your plays. Don't get salty about people using what works. In any case that I don't approach while playing Ness, it's because I know my approach options aren't as strong as my opponent's defensive options and I would rather play on the defensive. It's not a case of "I'm beter than you, you come to me" or "man, you suck for getting hit in this game." The only person putting you down is yourself, so cut it out before you make another thread like this.
Most Ness players know not to overuse this combo anyway because there are ways to get out of it and more ways to not get in it in the first place. Air dodge will work with lighter characters (although in some cases uair outspeeds your airdodge), fast counters like Slip Counter or Marth/Lucina's Counter will work, and a lot of nairs or wide ranged uairs will get you out too.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
That Ness player just enjoys people who don't know how to DI and is doing what he should be. He's getting combo practice for the most ideal scenarios, which you are giving him. Chances are he can't pull off full strings like that frequently, if he plays someone who knows the MU.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I've never heard of this combo till I read this. I picked up ness again a few days ago and I think he's a powerhouse in sm4sh. I'd have to say @ Golden Sun Golden Sun , I think ness is just a real ******* in this game. I just played a for glory match against a lucario, and I pk thunder juggled him for not exaggerating, about 8 or 10 hits in a row, he was on his last stock, and he'd dealt 30% over the course of his two lives. After he finally hit the ground (i think because I just whiffed one of my thunders) He ran off the edge and killed himself because he was tired of playing against me. I was just watching an interview with M2k and ZeRo last night where they said he's probably one of the better characters in the game, along with sheik and fox, and that diddy probably isn't the best character.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Ness' best combo: PKT -> PKT -> PKT -> PKT -> PKT -> PKT2

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
They say Fox is one of the best characters in the game? What foundation does that have? I don't keep up with Fox's meta.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
They say Fox is one of the best characters in the game? What foundation does that have? I don't keep up with Fox's meta.
He's one of, but not top 3 or anything currently. He's got excellent walk speed, a great dash attack that combos, juggle or air dodge forcing skills for traps. His side b doesn't free fall in the air anymore. solid jab. I dunno, he's just an overall good character in the right hands, but he's actually one of the more difficult to use properly.

Fox talk feels a little out of place in this thread though :p

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Combos are made to be used, my man.

There are characters that have counter measures. The FE cast have their counters, Charizard can down b to super-armour out of there. I mean yea the combo is hard to get out of, but that's the nature of fighting games, dude.

Garlic Wonder

Smash Apprentice
It happens to me ALL THE TIME when I play a Ness, and like everyone chooses him.

I'm scared of Ness like I'm scared of Brawl Meta Knight.

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
When Ness users use the same combo, PK fire, grab, down throw, forward air, jump, forward air, etc, a 40% combo
god damn this is hard to get out of, I agree is a cool and awesome combo someone made up, but now 98% of all Ness users use this, then most of them taunt saying "Wow, you really suck"(that's what I think they say) since they seem they're in a rush , they always go up to me and they don't just stay back and wait for me to come, they think there NFL pros but in virtual gaming.
I don't understand that last bit, are they supposed to just sit there and wait for you to recover?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Fox talk feels a little out of place in this thread though :p
Not while NAKAT's one of our top players, apparently. :p

The good news is, every character has their setups and their combos. Ness may be a bigger offender in this category than most; but he is a top tier character this time around. Every character played optimally has some crazy insane combos that are just asking to make you mad; but then you realise that your character is doing it to the other person too. The satisfaction we get from a successful Fair combo would be akin to the satisfaction from a Luigi getting his 30% strings. Once you realise that, you'll be fine, promise. <3

Also I have a belief that SH Fair will catch people who try to DI it better than FH Fair and that within the confines of that 50-50 gamble it's otherwise a true combo - as in, if they go one way or the other and you predict it you should hit them before they can do anything. Not totally sure yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom