• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What playstyle would best fit doc?

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
As the title says? What playstyle would best fit doc or how should doc be played to play him at his full potential?

I've been playing doc for 3/4 of a year and I'm surprised I've never thought of my playstyle and how should I play doc. So I'm just looking for input since my playstyle is open ended right now.

I really don't want the "play in any style that you feel comfortable with" answer... I'm pretty serious about playing doc and although he's not the ideal competitive character... I want to get some where with him and it's becoming very obvious that the way i'm playing right now is just not working out. I'd explain the way that I play but I struggle to describe it. I guess right now I just try to get in to do some damage and I find out what works and what doesn't... abuse what works and mix it up every now and then, but that's a very general way to put it. I also find my self on the defense a lot whether it's protecting myself, recovering, behind in stock, or whatever. There's also this problem that I have with movement and lack of proper execution but that's just something that'll come with time.

Right now I'm focusing on my fundamentals and DI along with getting more experience. My tech skill is coming together and it's starting to become consistent (finally i might add). I just need to tie it all together and find a playstyle that works well with doc and a playstyle that I feel comfortable with. If the best way to play doc is something that I'm not comfortable with or used to... I'm willing to put time into making it comfortable.

I value all input so thank you.

Edit:
I have a tourney this weekend so I'll try to get a vod

Last edited:

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I believe play-style is the result of many subconscious determinations and only a small portion of it is actually composed cognitively. Technically, you should change your play-style every stock to catch your opponent off guard. Naturally, because of other non-game related factors like what kind of person you are, how you think in situations, etc., you will develop your own play-style that is unique to you. When I first started playing smash since Falco was my first main I was very technical in the beginning. When I quit Falco for Doc., that play-style stuck with me so I approached Doc. initially with getting all of the technical aspects of him perfected first before I really journeyed through the other 3 aspects of the character (spacing, mind-games, option choices). That was actually one of the reasons why I made my Doctor Mario How to Play video "The Doctor's Checkup"; it was to force myself to master the character's technical aspects before teaching others. It's good that you are focusing on your fundamentals first and getting the overall game mechanics perfected first. That's what everyone should do. I think as far as your question is concerned though, Doc. is an overall extremely defensive character, but can find opportunities for offensive strategies in a niche through his move-set. I personally believe and have always believed that Doc. is a character that shines more if he is played as an opportunist and with the "play the observer" mindset. Aggression is good, but essentially I find the strongest defense for Doc. is his best offense. There are of course exceptions to my belief. I personally play what may appear to others as an extremely aggressive Doc. It may appear that way to the untrained eye, but I normally will not approach unless it involves some sort of spacing and/or perfect pill pressure. In the past, I have had disgruntled opponents comment on my pill approaches and pill game-play, but that's only because they haven't found a way around it. Like I said before, finding opportunities through the niches in Doc.'s move-set. Doc may not be a high tier character, but if played correctly he gets the job done and puts in work. Good luck at your tourney.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I'd agree with that. I kind of was thinking the same where doc would play defensive while waiting for the right moment to be aggressive. We'll see how things go today.

Also... thank you for "The Doctor's Checkup" it's an awesome video that really helped me when learning Doc and I use it every now and then when I want to practice basics. Just practiced with it again the day before yesterday to get ready for the tourny.

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
dude i just checked out that video and its really badass! i love how everybody has a particular style to themselves, power to the doc players

Top Bottom