• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What other fighting games helped your Smash Bros competitive play?

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Not Brawl specifically, but I wasn't sure where else to post this. As for me, has to be Soulcalibur III. The memories of Olcadan teaching me about ukemi will never fade and have made my "teching" skills in SSB pretty on point.

So, just like the topic says: Do you have any fond memories of strategies learned in other fighting games that have helped you out in Smash?

D

Deleted member 245254

Not Brawl specifically, but I wasn't sure where else to post this. As for me, has to be Soulcalibur III. The memories of Olcadan teaching me about ukemi will never fade and have made my "teching" skills in SSB pretty on point.

So, just like the topic says: Do you have any fond memories of strategies learned in other fighting games that have helped you out in Smash?
I've played a lot of Blazblue and I really feel like my footsie and hit confirm practice transfers nicely in to smash. Blazblue is generally known for intricate spacing techniques and *long*, difficult to execute combos.

My spacing in Brawl is generally fantastic and really calculated, where as in melee I'm incredibly devious with getting first hits and confirms for strings.

Aside from that a lot of my smash experience is just home grown having played all the smash titles but my experience playing Blazblue definitely helped my mental approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I've played a lot of Blazblue and I really feel like my footsie and hit confirm practice transfers nicely in to smash. Blazblue is generally known for intricate spacing techniques and *long*, difficult to execute combos.

My spacing in Brawl is generally fantastic and really calculated, where as in melee I'm incredibly devious with getting first hits and confirms for strings.

Aside from that a lot of my smash experience is just home grown having played all the smash titles but my experience playing Blazblue definitely helped my mental approach.
Awesome! I've never played Blazblue, but back when I was into SoulCalibur, I heard a lot about it. I feel like SoulCalibur's Just Impact system really helped me with timing for minimal shielding/counter moves such as Marth's, Ike's, and Lucario's. A lot of people think those moves aren't that great for some reason, but I love using them, and they usually work fantastically for me.

I never really got THAT good at SC, but I mained Nightmare and tended to play very up-close and personal. That's definitely transferred over to my aggressive Smash playstyle, though I am much more defensive in Smash. None of the players quite have the raw pressuring power of Nightmare.

Last edited:

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Lol. Nightmare was so annoying when I played SC2. I never got serious, but still...so annoying. Blazblue and Street Fighter helped me a little with Melee (not a Brawl player...yet), but since I really had played Melee first, it may have been the other way around. I would be able to outspace a lot of the players I faced and sometimes beat people who were better than me. I ultimately stopped playing Blazblue because I wanted to pour all of my time into Smash and League, and I stopped playing Street Fighter because you press buttons really slowly in that game. I have never approached Soul Calibur with a competitive attitude, but it was fun when I played it.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Lol. Nightmare was so annoying when I played SC2. I never got serious, but still...so annoying. Blazblue and Street Fighter helped me a little with Melee (not a Brawl player...yet), but since I really had played Melee first, it may have been the other way around. I would be able to outspace a lot of the players I faced and sometimes beat people who were better than me. I ultimately stopped playing Blazblue because I wanted to pour all of my time into Smash and League, and I stopped playing Street Fighter because you press buttons really slowly in that game. I have never approached Soul Calibur with a competitive attitude, but it was fun when I played it.
Haha yeah, Nightmare can be a pain to deal with. Kilik was always the most annoying for me. I didn't get competitive till SC3, and I was at my peak in SC4. SC5 was just not the same to me for some reason. I just kinda got bored with it, I guess. I've never really been into fighting games, but I've always loved Smash Bros, and Link being in SC2 got me into that series. Haven't touched any fighting game aside from Smash in a long time now, and I'm starting to refine the games I wanna be good at. I mostly stick to Smash and Pokemon these days.

Last edited:

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Lol. Link was actually broken. I played Kilik and Talim a lot. In any case, the Biggoron Sword was the most broken weapon in the game (for me, the casual). Longer reach than Kilik's longest weapon. I mostly stick to Smash and League of Legends at a competitive level in terms of video games. I also play Magic the Gathering though. I like to think I am pretty good at it.

SSS

Smash Ace
Smash Bros is all about the neutral. Especially Brawl, where combos are almost nonexistent and punishes are less hard since crazy infinites like in UMvC3 don't exist (except like ICs). Even in Melee where you can zero to death somebody, the neutral game is a huge part compared to other fighting games.

Luckily there exists a game that is all neutral-based. That is, Divekick. There are no combos: it's all one-hit kills. This game beautifully teaches about the neutral game, with spacing, approaching, baiting, punishing, and mindgames with relation to options and how your options interact with your opponent's options. Since it's in such a simplified format, you quickly understand the thought processes behind the mindgames. This helps teach players the neutral, especially in a time obsessed with techskill and crazy combos.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Smash Bros is all about the neutral. Especially Brawl, where combos are almost nonexistent and punishes are less hard since crazy infinites like in UMvC3 don't exist (except like ICs). Even in Melee where you can zero to death somebody, the neutral game is a huge part compared to other fighting games.

Luckily there exists a game that is all neutral-based. That is, Divekick. There are no combos: it's all one-hit kills. This game beautifully teaches about the neutral game, with spacing, approaching, baiting, punishing, and mindgames with relation to options and how your options interact with your opponent's options. Since it's in such a simplified format, you quickly understand the thought processes behind the mindgames. This helps teach players the neutral, especially in a time obsessed with techskill and crazy combos.
I've never heard of Divekick, but it sounds interesting. Neutral aerials are one thing my smashing could definitely use more of. I already do tons of jabs.

SSS

Smash Ace
I've never heard of Divekick, but it sounds interesting. Neutral aerials are one thing my smashing could definitely use more of. I already do tons of jabs.
Not Neutral as in Neutral air. . .Neutral as in the Neutral state of gameplay in which neither player has the advantage.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Not Neutral as in Neutral air. . .Neutral as in the Neutral state of gameplay in which neither player has the advantage.
Ohhh I assumed you meant neutral moves. Probably just cause I honestly have a little difficulty executing them. I'm always planning where to go next, so I tend to always have a direction pressed.

But as for what you actually meant, I think that's one of the reasons I love Brawl so much. I was always decent at the others, but Brawl is easily where I do best, and I think it's because it is a bit more focused on that neutrality.

Btw, who makes Divekick?

SSS

Smash Ace
Ohhh I assumed you meant neutral moves. Probably just cause I honestly have a little difficulty executing them. I'm always planning where to go next, so I tend to always have a direction pressed.

But as for what you actually meant, I think that's one of the reasons I love Brawl so much. I was always decent at the others, but Brawl is easily where I do best, and I think it's because it is a bit more focused on that neutrality.

Btw, who makes Divekick?
Yeah neutral game is like, when nobody has the advantage and is trying to gain the advantage. In all Smash games it's almost always in some form of neutral, even when being comboed, because of how important DI and techchasing is in the game. Basically since the other character still has options it's not truly out of neutral. Neutral Game is basically both players having access to all or most of their options; as those options for one character decrease and the other character's options increase, the game becomes less neutral.

Divekick was started by a small indie company called One True Game Studios (because Divekick is the One True Game) but was picked up by Iron Galaxy, which published it.

It's called the One True Game because it only uses like 3ish moves and two buttons. Only 2 buttons for a fighting game?! Yes, naysayer! Play and you will learn how to consider options complexly, and how to mindgame your opponent!

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Yeah neutral game is like, when nobody has the advantage and is trying to gain the advantage. In all Smash games it's almost always in some form of neutral, even when being comboed, because of how important DI and techchasing is in the game. Basically since the other character still has options it's not truly out of neutral. Neutral Game is basically both players having access to all or most of their options; as those options for one character decrease and the other character's options increase, the game becomes less neutral.

Divekick was started by a small indie company called One True Game Studios (because Divekick is the One True Game) but was picked up by Iron Galaxy, which published it.

It's called the One True Game because it only uses like 3ish moves and two buttons. Only 2 buttons for a fighting game?! Yes, naysayer! Play and you will learn how to consider options complexly, and how to mindgame your opponent!
I see now. Thanks!

Sounds awesome. It's been a while since I was into any fighting game aside from Smash. I tried Skullgirls for a while, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I'll have to check out Divekick.

SSS

Smash Ace
I see now. Thanks!

Sounds awesome. It's been a while since I was into any fighting game aside from Smash. I tried Skullgirls for a while, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I'll have to check out Divekick.
Smash players are always good at divekick. It's not one where you like memorize combos and stuff, which we like. Even us Melee players don't memorize combos because that's not how the game works.

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Smash players are always good at divekick. It's not one where you like memorize combos and stuff, which we like. Even us Melee players don't memorize combos because that's not how the game works.
That's why I've always loved Smash. It's so easy to get into.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
None. SSB is the only fighting game series I play (sometimes DBZ) just like how Mario Kart is the only racing series I play. They're both unique,

bleepbleep

Smash Rookie
Probably playstation all stars and dragon ball z Budokai Tenkaichi 3. I know playstation all stars helped me alot with precise timing because it takes a bit of timing it right to empty cancel with dante.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561

None, really. Super Smash Bros. was the first fighting game I played.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Brawl was the game that helped me on spacing, reading (i could read people off of 5 moves easily thanks to brawl), positioning, and more when i started to play other smash games. fighters like street fighter, marvel, king of fighters, and more helped shape my technical play.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Brawl was the game that helped me on spacing, reading (i could read people off of 5 moves easily thanks to brawl), positioning, and more when i started to play other smash games. fighters like street fighter, marvel, king of fighters, and more helped shape my technical play.
Brawl is a pretty good one for learning to read people imo

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Kirby Fighters. Honestly, I think it has a better balance between offense and defense then any currently released Smash game does.

Anyway, Kirby Fighter's weak dodges and unique guarding mechanics has made me use SSBB's guards and perfect guards much more often, instead of spaming rolls and spot-dodges.

Drugfreechu

Smash Rookie
Tales of the Abyss actually helped me a bit because there is dash dancing in that, and I learned to use it in that which helped me use it in smash.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Tales of the Abyss actually helped me a bit because there is dash dancing in that, and I learned to use it in that which helped me use it in smash.
That's cool! I've honestly still never gotten the hang of dash dancing. I can SHFFL, I can wavedash, but I can't dash dance.

Zeta145

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zeta145
3DS FC
3668-9863-7225
I could say brawl was my first game that I played competitive in, and after playing it for about 3-4 years, I went back to try out Melee, and when I played Melee as a kid I was a link player who would only use the B-Up to kill people... I went back and immediately started wavedahsing, which was surprising to me because I remember trying to do it before brawl came out and could never get down. After playing brawl I would like to say my fundamentals in other games are better such as in UMVC3 and SF4.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I could say brawl was my first game that I played competitive in, and after playing it for about 3-4 years, I went back to try out Melee, and when I played Melee as a kid I was a link player who would only use the B-Up to kill people... I went back and immediately started wavedahsing, which was surprising to me because I remember trying to do it before brawl came out and could never get down. After playing brawl I would like to say my fundamentals in other games are better such as in UMVC3 and SF4.
I prefer Brawl and even N64 over Melee, to be honest. But I know what ya mean. I went through pretty much the exact same process. Was always pretty OK at Melee, got really into Brawl, went back to Melee and suddenly I was better at Melee.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I went hard on the grind in Smash 64. I came back to Brawl and played outta my mind. I guess that's a thing.

Sauron_The_Great

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drewsauron
Yeah, i could wavedash easily after brawl, probably the night-long marathon i did classic mode on expert with no items for all characters helps a lot

Last edited:

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Street Fighter II, WWF No Mercy (aged badly... but the 'make your own fighter' options were GOOOOOOD), DBZ Hyper Dimension/Budokai. Street Fighter II and Smash are the only ones I ever replay these days.

EDIT: sorry, totally forgot the point of the thread. I mostly learnt from Smash bros, but Street Fighter II is good for learning about spacing and priority. WWF No Mercy is very obvious in the ways that animations make you invincible, even if it makes the game unrealistic, I guess the lesson is "this ain't real life, learn the rules of the game and don't treat it like real life". All I learnt from DBZ Budokai is that it is pointless to invest too much time in collection... I spent hours collecting dragonballs and got ****ing NOTHING at the end of it.

Last edited:

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
Starcraft 2 along with Crusader Kings 2 helped me improve my game. Starcraft allowed me to realize that playing a MU perfect is changing your game play to suit the situation you are at the time. Crusader kings 2 taught me to take advantage of the opportunists, such as stage control, that are given to me punish free

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Playing Tatsunoko VS Capcom and learning all the combos translated into tech skill for Melee/PM, it also improved my spacing and footsies.

BestNameEver

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gunter7-14-10
Kind of off topic but playing the Saxaphone really helped me get my Melee Fox as technical as it is today. Lots of practice concepts carried over easily. I'd say any fighting game player should also be playing an instrument with keys.

Top Bottom