• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What music do you listen to?

What is your favourite music genre?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TLR

Smash Rookie
I'm mainly into all genres of EDM, and some heavy metal on the side. Some of my favorite artists are Boyinaband, Varien, and the Pegboard Nerds.

R0Y

Smash Master
Classic music and hard rock mainly, although I have a few songs I enjoy time to time from every genre.
Metal and Rock. I don't really have a favorite type of metal or rock though I like all the sub genres. As far as other music goes, I don't really care for much else. But I absolutely can not tolerate Country.
You two, try this, obscure 80's prog metal band band, no growling :)

deadcult

Smash Cadet
I listen to Metal, which is a very broad statement seeing as it contains many genres within genres within genres. I mainly listen to Death metal, more among the technical side of things. Bands like Origin, Archspire, Dying Fetus, Decrepit Birth, Spawn of Possession. Although I do enjoy other gems within the Metal world. Folk Metal, Melodeath, Thrash, Grind.

Listening to and exploring what metal has to offer has actually broaden my musical taste. Although I enjoy music with a bit of complexity in the structure, I now enjoy a bit of classical, Jazz, European folk music, and now I am dabbling in some old school hardcore and stoner-sludge style bands like Electric Wizard.

And just to add a little on the discussion about the harsh vocals, you have to understand that metalheads and metal nerds approach music a little differently. While many people may listen to pop for catchy music and maybe country for a nice melody and down to earth lyrics, we like to hear people really take their abilities on their respected instruments to a new extreme. We like irregular riffs and complex song structures and time signatures. The vocal add to the aggressiveness of the music with lyrics that deal with a surprisingly large spectrum of topics. With typical death metal lyrics involving gore, mutilation, crazy medical stuff, to ancient history, science, space, time, aliens, philosophy. The lyrics of the Tech-Death band Decrepit Birth sing about existentialism, metaphysics, space and time from the point of a mega-stoner hobo(not even joking.) His death growls are often faded into the background so I often imagine it that of an ancient prophet speaking throughout the universe.

Sorry for my ramblings but once people get a litter perspective on this bit of an outcast genre of music, they may find a bunch of fun and interesting things to really dive into. Once you get past the shock factor of course. :)

PF9

Smash Lord
I will listen to anything but I am particularly fond of classic rock, especially hard rock and heavy metal from the late 1960s to the early 1990s (which includes NWOBHM, early Thrash, and the golden age of hair bands). I find that this kind of music goes well with Smash, so I turn off the in-game music and play this music.

I have used certain songs as themes for certain characters and stages:

The Original 12:
Pikachu: AC/DC - Thunderstruck and High Voltage, Kix - Blow My Fuse (all related to electricity in some manner)
Kirby: Alice Cooper - Feed My Frankenstein (a reference to Kirby's ravenous appetite), Aerosmith - Pink (self-explanatory)
Samus: Wolfmother - Woman (to let me know that Samus is in fact, a woman)
Jigglypuff: Metallica - Enter Sandman, Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (both refer to her ability to sing opponents to sleep)
Donkey Kong: Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle (self-explanatory)

Introduced in Melee:
Dr. Mario: Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
Bowser and Ganondorf: Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King

Introduced in Brawl:
Diddy Kong: Same as DK
Pit: Iron Maiden - Flight of Icarus
Wario: Budgie - Breadfan (also the Metallica cover), AC/DC - Moneytalks, BulletBoys - For the Love of Money (all relate to money, which Wario is obsessed with)

Introduced in SSB 4:
Duck Hunt: Ted Nugent - Fred Bear (Duck Hunt is a hunting game, and the song is about a real life hunter named Fred Bear; Nugent himself is a hunter)
Little Mac: Survivor - Eye of the Tiger, Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out, Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now, John Cafferty - Hearts on Fire, James Brown - Living in America
Mega Man: Black Sabbath - Iron Man

These are just some examples I can think of. Many of you should get the connections.

Of course, metal was really popular during the 1980s, which was the decade Nintendo rose to power in the video game market.

BaconofWar

Smash Rookie
Lots of new age alternative and indie music, plus some classic rock, plus some rap and some electronic

GspotMicrostock

Smash Rookie
I like a lot of stuff but haven't gotten into country much, Willie Nelson seems pretty cool though. I like the aesthetic of most 80s music, especially new wave. I really love Hip Hop down with commercial hip-pop ignorance although mainstream rap is cool sometimes, OG Maco ***** you guessed it is an immaculate piece of poetry. Sick Animation is a guy who has been making awesome music since like 2005 or so I believe and I have loved his music for quite awhile, it's definitely up there in my favorites. I really enjoy some artists who do a lot of soundtrack music like Yoko Kanno for all of her Cowboy Bebop soundtrack work. Grew up listening to that video game music Majoras Mask is probably my ffavorite video game soundtrack. Flight of the conchords is amazing changed my life son.
I also like noise rock style stuff like melt banana and steve albinis earlier stuff I have heard and liked. Noise tapes are cool for vibing out intensely and going insane to when reality seems bleak. On another note lately I've been listening to more Frank Zappa what a legend.

TheDongWV

Skronky Dong Country
Purifying in the waters of Lake Minnetonka
NNID
illxblood
Usually Hardcore punk and Death Metal are what I listen to, but I listen to pretty much anything

Top favorite bands would have to be (in no particular order)

All Out War
Obituary
Tool
Steel Nation
Iron Boots

anathema

Smash Rookie
i listen to a lot of different types of music, the current stuff I'm into is bedroom pop / lo-fi / shoegaze / hip hop / jazz.

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
Music buff here. Everything basically.

Hip-hop (technically lol)

"Post Dubstep"

Obligatory animal collective

Tied in 8th with John Williams for human with most grammies (22) in the history of humans. Only say this because people are quick to hate/don't like him but the mans art speaks for itself

Mystical find yourself during a psychedelic trip music

I also make music to
https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Ffoxxxtaaails%2Fdrips-complete

Last edited:

JustYuck

Big Tipper
Not enough Hip-Hop in this thread. I like the old-school greats as much as I like the more mainstream stuff. When I am playing smash I prefer more laid back electronic music though if that makes sense. Theres this Spotify playlist called "Brain Food" that I usually listen to when I play.

randomguy90

Smash Rookie
Music buff here. Everything basically.

Hip-hop (technically lol)

Obligatory animal collective
Absolutely yes. That video is what got me into Flying Lotus. An incredible album overall. Have you had a chance to listen to his new album? I've heard good things but haven't grabbed a copy yet myself.

Animal Collective are ****ing stupendous as well. I got to see them twice as they toured their newest album, one show being at the actual Merriweather Post for which their prior album was named. Really intense show, that was.

I listen to most any kind of music, the genre really doesn't impact my impression so much as the individual artist's style and expression. I particularly enjoy music that's progressive or experimental in nature. Classic prog stuff like early Yes and Rush are incredible, if you can deal with the admittedly sometimes crooning vocals. Newer prog rock artists like Porcupine Tree and Oceansize (rip) have a lot to say as well. Old Muse incorporated twinges of progressive atmospheres as well, especially their album Origin Of Symmetry, one of my all-time favorites. I also am huge on Radiohead, i think they've done more for the current state of the music business and contemporary "rock" than almost any of big name band, and i find their musical and lyrical content mind-blowing.

Other genres I tend to gravitate towards include Math and Post rock (Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Battles, Town Portal, Giraffes? Giraffes! to name a few), some select metal bands (I find aggressive vocals hit or miss, but i enjoy Dream Theater, Dillinger Escape Plan, Enter Shikari, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, etc), some folksy stuff (Check out Fleet Foxes' self titled, truly amazing), and some electronic stuff (FlyLo of course, Blockhead, I Am Not A Gun, Apparat). I also play/write music myself, been playing electric bass for about 8 or 9 years now.

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
Absolutely yes. That video is what got me into Flying Lotus. An incredible album overall. Have you had a chance to listen to his new album? I've heard good things but haven't grabbed a copy yet myself.

Animal Collective are ****ing stupendous as well. I got to see them twice as they toured their newest album, one show being at the actual Merriweather Post for which their prior album was named. Really intense show, that was.

I listen to most any kind of music, the genre really doesn't impact my impression so much as the individual artist's style and expression. I particularly enjoy music that's progressive or experimental in nature. Classic prog stuff like early Yes and Rush are incredible, if you can deal with the admittedly sometimes crooning vocals. Newer prog rock artists like Porcupine Tree and Oceansize (rip) have a lot to say as well. Old Muse incorporated twinges of progressive atmospheres as well, especially their album Origin Of Symmetry, one of my all-time favorites. I also am huge on Radiohead, i think they've done more for the current state of the music business and contemporary "rock" than almost any of big name band, and i find their musical and lyrical content mind-blowing.

Other genres I tend to gravitate towards include Math and Post rock (Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Battles, Town Portal, Giraffes? Giraffes! to name a few), some select metal bands (I find aggressive vocals hit or miss, but i enjoy Dream Theater, Dillinger Escape Plan, Enter Shikari, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, etc), some folksy stuff (Check out Fleet Foxes' self titled, truly amazing), and some electronic stuff (FlyLo of course, Blockhead, I Am Not A Gun, Apparat). I also play/write music myself, been playing electric bass for about 8 or 9 years now.
Ha this is tight another music head. FlyLo is probably my favorite artist. Went to his light show about 3 times front row and center everytime lol its absolutely mind blowing! Big animal collective guy myself altho I haven't visited them in a while. New album is amazing in a very different way absolutely maybe 1 or 2 traditional hip hop/flylo style beats on there and the rest is pretty much free jazz. 420 is require to digest/appreciate this album completely. I was put off amazed and frustrated upon first listen lol. A lot of those crazy prog artist your mentioning I've herd about in passing so I'm going to look some of them up. Battles are ****ing crazy. I don't think I get it lol. Fleet foxes are sick and I've herd stuff but never sat down with either album both of which everyone jizzes over so I need to check em out. Also 8-9 years of bass that's tight. Are you a session musicians of any sort? band stuff? teacher? must be fun to just pick up a bass and go at it while you kick back.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Usually depends on my mood but it always comes down to rap or progressive house. The rap came from Stockholm Syndrome after going to a school that did not necessarily embrace my alternative rock ways. I've added PH (Luigi Lusini, Solarity, etc.) over time.

I point blank will not listen to country willingly which is unfortunate because I'm a junior at Oklahoma so its everywhere.

randomguy90

Smash Rookie
Ha this is tight another music head. FlyLo is probably my favorite artist. Went to his light show about 3 times front row and center everytime lol its absolutely mind blowing! Big animal collective guy myself altho I haven't visited them in a while. New album is amazing in a very different way absolutely maybe 1 or 2 traditional hip hop/flylo style beats on there and the rest is pretty much free jazz. 420 is require to digest/appreciate this album completely. I was put off amazed and frustrated upon first listen lol. A lot of those crazy prog artist your mentioning I've herd about in passing so I'm going to look some of them up. Battles are ****ing crazy. I don't think I get it lol. Fleet foxes are sick and I've herd stuff but never sat down with either album both of which everyone ****es over so I need to check em out. Also 8-9 years of bass that's tight. Are you a session musicians of any sort? band stuff? teacher? must be fun to just pick up a bass and go at it while you kick back.
Lol, I wish I were a session musician or something. No, I'm just a bedroom warrior, but I have a drummer friend with whom i get together and jam/write. We have a handful of material that we want to get tracked but it's been really hard to find the time/money to make it all happen in a way that we're going to be happy with. If you'd like to listen to what we kinda sound like, here's an unfinished track we recorded a few years ago that never quite made it through mixing and mastering. It's a doomy, psychadelic instrumental passage. I wrote it, and my drummer and I played our respective instruments and shared guitar duty. Any sound that isn't the guitar is being made with my basses and effects pedals.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Ffocus-fellow%2Fhomunculus-version-2
It sounds like that FlyLo album is quite challenging, which only intrigues me more. I rather like jazz influences in my music, so I think I'd like that as well, I'll have to pick it up. Speaking of, if you're into extremely technical metal/jazz fusion with some electronics thrown in, then check out Animals as Leaders. They're on the forefront of this whole "Djent" movement, which gets a lot of flack but imo is something extremely unique and very powerful.

Oceansize is probably my favorite band ever, ever. They're this mix of progressive, heavy, psychadelic rock with some more ethereal, post-rock elements, and some straight up metal. Very diverse discography.

Yes are very quintessential 60's psychadelic progressive acid-trip rock. For-the-time boundary pushing use of synths, large vocal harmonies, varying tempo/meter changes, angular rhythms and melodies. Close to the Edge is my favorite album, but they have plenty of good material to dig through.

Battles took some time for me to appreciate as well. They're just so spastic and alien sounding. Here's a few tracks that might be easier to digest. They lost their lead man a little while ago but their most recent album came together well i think.
This ends at 5:26, i dunno why the video keeps going lol.

And here's an incredible live performance of my favorite Fleet Foxes song. Really haunting, especially with that huge natural reverb.

Sorry for the huge wall of imbeds, I get excited about music lol.

Geek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeektheMeek
I mostly listen to pop music, with a flare of EDM/house, synthpop, Japanese music, French music, sometimes rock, experimental and downtempo/chillout music for sleeping.

For instance...

Some pop music I like:

- - Note that this is hip-hop, but the beat is so infectious.

EDM/House Music:

Synthpop (might be a mix of genres and/or might not be synthpop at all. Oh well.):

Japanese music (I'll indicate which kind of genre the artists do):

- Rock with a jazz flavor. This musician does other genres, but this is her specialty.
- Pop.
- Synthpop.
- Does a widespread of genres, including acoustic, rock, jazz, house, and synthpop to name a few.
- A mix of EDM and house
- Experimental. This song is the definition of epic (as in adventurous).

French music (once again, I'll indicate genres):
- Pop. You can tell which era of pop music it is by listening to her different albums.
- Acoustic pop (sometimes just pop music).
- 100% Synthpop.
- Pop.

Experimental (ignoring rock because it's not really a major genre for me):

- This musician is EDM and experimental combined, or IDM (Intelligent Dance Music).
- This is experimental pop, which is evident in most of her albums.

And last but not least,

Downtempo (as in chillout/relaxing music):

- This is before she went to do synthpop music.
- This song literally paralyzes and hallucinates me. This is as soothing/relaxing as any song could get.
- Chillout house.

Hopefully that exemplifies my music taste. Enjoy!

Last edited:

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
There are too many genre's for me to list, especially those that you breakdown from one genre to another. I'd try and list a genre that I have at least 5 songs of and list at least 3-5 at random as examples.This is going to take hours probably. -___- I'd reference this post to people who ever asks what type of music I like I guess. It may not be 100% correct as "best fit" genre but I try.

Alternative
Breaking Benjamin - Dear Agony

Blink-182 - Down

Simple Plan - When I'm Gone

Blues
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

Slash - Sweet Child O' Mine (Acoustic) (featuring Myles Kennedy) (Guns N' Roses cover)

ZZ Top - La Grange

Aerosmith - Cryin'

Comedy
Eminem - We Made You

Trey Parker, Matt Stone - Mountain Town

Electronic
Muse - Undisclosed Desires

M.I.A. - Paper Planes

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Linkin Park - Iridescent

Silverstein - Runaway (Kanye West cover)

Hip hop
Grand Hustle - Top Back (T.I. featuring Young Jeezy, Young Dro, Big Kuntry King and B.G.)

Eminem - When I'm Gone

DJ Khaled - We Takin' Over (featuring T.I., Akon, Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Birdman and Lil Wayne)

Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like It's Hot (featuring Pharrell Williams)

Trey Parker, Matt Stone - It's Easy Mmmkay

Pop
Blink-182 - All the Small Things

Green Day - Holiday

Tegan and Sara - The Con

Rock
Michael Jackson - Beat It

Eminem - Beautiful

My Chemical Romance - S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W

Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit

Avenged Sevenfold - Bat Country

Country
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

John 5 - Welcome to the Jungle (Guns N' Roses cover)

The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Heavy Metal
System of a Down - Tentative

Bullet for My Valentine - Deliver Us from Evil

Metallica - Wasting My Hate

Blue Öyster Cult - Cities on Flames with Rock and Roll

Queen - Death on Two Legs

Punk Rock
My Chemical Romance - Destroya

Blink-182 - Always

Simple Plan - Addicted

Flogging Molly - Seven Deadly Sins

The Killers - Somebody Told Me

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
A little bit of everything! Lately I've been really into electro swing though.

MyBeardisOP

Smash Rookie
NNID
MyBeardisOP
I mainly listen to Metal and prog, with some rock thrown in there. Although my music library is mostly metal, I have been listening to more and more prog these days. Especially from the likes of Camel, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson and Pink Floyd.

PSI Child

Smash Rookie
I find it difficult to like or hate a genre more than another due to the fact that certain bands sound drastically different than other bands in their respective genre. If I were to pick a genre that I've currently been heavily invested in I'd probably go with chiptunes, vaporwave and black metal.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Pretty much anything that is on my Soundcloud, really. Which is mainly just beats and vapor-rap and stuff.

It's... relaxing, I think.

D

Deleted member

I like a lot of music, mainly rock/alternative as well as j-pop and j-rock.
Music I hate is country, rap (only the kind where they cuss a lot and have dirty lyrics), dubstep, and 'teeny bopper' music like Justin Bieber or One Direction.

I also like to listen to a lot of anime openings and endings.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's easiest to sum up my tastes of non-classical music as being mostly from the 60s/70s. I love the many styles from that era because sound and instrumentation are the biggest appeal in music for me, and the 60s/70s had a great sound, wide variety of instruments, and a nice balance between electronic and acoustic instruments.

To be a little more specific, my favorite styles would probably be what many call 'Brass Rock' (a style of rock that oftentimes fused jazz elements in with rock, but staying mostly on the pop/rock side. Noticeable for the inclusion of a prominent brass and saxophone section), Soft Rock, Soul/R&B (Motown AND beyond), progressive and psychedelic rock, and plain hard rock. I'm just a big fan of Oldies all around.

Another genre which I can not forget to mention is Folk. Most of the Folk I like is also from the 60s/70s, but the genre is a bit more universal than that. I mostly listen to British Folk, because I just love the style. The inclusion of light early music influences and even instrumentation really gets me as a music history and musical instrument nerd.

Classical, I'm all over the place. Probably my top favorites are Baroque, Impressionist, Classical (as in Mozart's era), and Early Music. Yeah, that's almost all of the major eras. lol I fell in love with one, then would fall in love with another and now here we are. Baroque was my first love, though and I still can't shake how awesome the era is.

The genres that I hate, hate, hate are Country, just about anything from the 80s, and modern pop. Not big on Metal either... But the first three I mentioned are genres that are constantly shoved in my face and thus they are the most annoying.

Last edited:

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
It's easiest to sum up my tastes of non-classical music as being mostly from the 60s/70s. I love the many styles from that era because sound and instrumentation are the biggest appeal in music for me, and the 60s/70s had a great sound, wide variety of instruments, and a nice balance between electronic and acoustic instruments.

To be a little more specific, my favorite styles would probably be what many call 'Brass Rock' (a style of rock that oftentimes fused jazz elements in with rock, but staying mostly on the pop/rock side. Noticeable for the inclusion of a prominent brass and saxophone section), Soft Rock, Soul/R&B (Motown AND beyond), progressive and psychedelic rock, and plain hard rock. I'm just a big fan of Oldies all around.

Another genre which I can not forget to mention is Folk. Most of the Folk I like is also from the 60s/70s, but the genre is a bit more universal than that. I mostly listen to British Folk, because I just love the style. The inclusion of light early music influences and even instrumentation really gets me as a music history and musical instrument nerd.

Classical, I'm all over the place. Probably my top favorites are Baroque, Impressionist, Classical (as in Mozart's era), and Early Music. Yeah, that's almost all of the major eras. lol I fell in love with one, then would fall in love with another and now here we are. Baroque was my first love, though and I still can't shake how awesome the era is.

The genres that I hate, hate, hate are Country, just about anything from the 80s, and modern pop. Not big on Metal either... But the first three I mentioned are genres that are constantly shoved in my face and thus they are the most annoying.
is your absolute favorite... rock?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
is your absolute favorite... rock?
Oh my, a MLP avatar for one day and this already happened. xD

Anyway, since some others have posted samples and I'm bored I'll do the same. Some will be big hits, others will be very obscure.

Brass Rock:
One Fine Morning by Lighthouse (pretty well-known, but very awesome)

Try Me by Dreams

Goodbye by Chicago

Springtime by Emergency

Soft Rock:
Baby I'm-A Want You by Bread

Just A Song Before I Go by Crosby, Stills and Nash

How Long by Ace

I Can't Tell You Why by Eagles

Soul/R&B:
Since I Found My Baby by Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose (a real hidden gem, IMO)

Ooh Baby Baby by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles

Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart) by The Stylistics

Could It Be I'm Falling in Love by The Spinners

Progressive and Psychedelic Rock (I know, I know - they're not the same thing):
A Visit To Newport Hospital - Egg (another hidden gem - Both very psychedelic and very progressive)

Introduction by Chicago (also counts as Brass Rock, but I'm putting it here)

Stagnation by Genesis (the first half is pure beauty)

Light My Fire by The Doors (a well-known hit, but amazing nonetheless)

General Rock/Hard Rock (these will probably all be well-known, like my Soft Rock selections)
Foreplay/A Long Time by Boston

Blue Morning, Blue Day by Foreigner

Folk
The Unquiet Grave by Gryphon (I love, love, love this one, from the amazing crumhorn intro to the really beautiful last section)

The Maid on the Shore by The John Renbourn Group

Cruel Sister by Pentangle

Rambleway by Shirley & Dolly Collins

Bonnie Boy by Shirley Collins

Classical (shortened because I'm running out of time xD)
Baroque: Concerto for Oboe d'Amore in A Major - 1. Allegro by Johann Sebastian Bach

Classical: Piano Concerto No. 23 - 2. Adagio by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Impressionist: Le Tombeau De Couperin - Menuet by Maurice Ravel

Early Music: Pavane Passamaize by Claude Gervaise

Lol. What did I even do that all for? I don't know...

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Nujabes... everything else comes second. Literally. I cant listen to nujabes mid tournament, it's too chill. And that is where everything else comes in.

Top Bottom