• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Makes Melee A Good Sequel?

Studstill

Smash Ace
If there are any Melee players that started out on 64:
What makes it a good follow up to the greatest fighting game of all time?

Personally, all I wanted was a few more boards and the ability to grab items in midair.
2/2 so I was dope on that count, but the total change to game mechanics was kind of a downer.

So yeah, what makes Melee a decent attempt at Smash 2, or if it is a totally different game, then why did you choose it over 64?

Last edited:
Melee has an active tournament scene and give players more control over what they can do

Studstill

Smash Ace
Magic the Gathering has an active tournament scene, so does ping pong. Doesn`t make them quality sequels to Smash 64.
On the latter though, what do you mean?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Magic the Gathering has an active tournament scene, so does ping pong. Doesn`t make them quality sequels to Smash 64.
On the latter though, what do you mean?
I think EPsilon means that there are more movement options and exploits than there were in 64 (wavedash, moonwalk, etc.).

Also, they balanced Z-Cancelling in the transition to L-Cancelling, added more stages, more characters, had collectables (trophies), had a lot of different modes (both single and multiplayer) and on the most part is completely lagless. Also, wall techs prevented ensured 0-death combos.

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Well when it comes to game modes, it's not even a contest. 64 had a single 1p mode which included 2 type of bonus stages to play through. Melee brought back 64's campaign and also included an adventure mode, all-star mode, Event match and a ton of other modes to mess around a play with. Plus it establish trophies, giving the player incentive to play the game even after unlocking all the characters and stages.

Then there are the mechanics which are arguably the best in the series. The characters move faster, falling speed as being increase and there are more options to perform and get out of a combo. Sure, the combos aren't as long as they were in 64 but now there is more strategy to every move you make. 0-death combos are cool and all but what's even more impressive is getting out of a really long combo, only to beat your opponent through a clever read.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
A good sequel adds more to the predecessor, but also adds it's own content. Which is why I believe that Melee is the only true sequel to smash, and is why I hate Brawl and don't like Sm4sh as much as PM or Melee.

Last edited:

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
I'm nostalgia biased, but Melee was amazing "for its time". When I was little, and saw the commercial to Melee, I thought I had to wait like a million years for it come out because of the graphics. I remember it showing Donkey Kong in the Kongo Jungle stage. The game was just stunning. And we used to throw parties playing both SSB and SSBM. Those were some good times.

Wow, did Super Smash Bros. evolve after 13 months of development... smash attacks now must be charged, more grab attacks, Side-B moves, air dodging, being able to catch items, the addition of trophies and all that jazz.

AirFair

Marth tho
Yeah Melee more than doubled the original roster, added more stages, and amazing controls. For it's time, the graphics were just incredible, considering the huge leap they had made in only 2 years since the original. Melee also included the trophies, which had years of Nintendo history and trivia in them, making for a fun collectible. It's also got some past stages.

^Hobbes

Smash Rookie
A general consensus would say melee is probably more exciting to watch as well, although I could be wrong. I can't speak for the thousands that enjoy smash as a whole.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
I don't think melee is a good sequel I think it's a good game. I also think 64 is a good game but finding people offline to play it with is hard. I intended to play both, melee has everything a good competitive game needs. Good pacing diverse characters. (among the top tiers) pretty aight skill ceiling enough viable options to make for good mindgames etc.

As for 64 I actually went to the 64 boards to get into it like 2 days ago I think. But the one thread I could find 64 players involved a lot of talk about the irc just being filled with bots or whatever. So I assumed the 64 community decided there were better ways to get people to enjoy their game than smashboards (or didn't want new people to begin with) and left it at that. It seems pretty diverse, just a lot harder to access than melee I guess.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
It was less of an experiment that 64 was and more of a full-fledged game that took everything farther. It had a larger cast, more stages, more music, and it characters didn't sound like bowling pins falling over when they were hit.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
I think that's for the Western versions, as the Japanese version of SSB64 had different sound effects for characters hitting each other. In my opinion the Western hit sounds are a lot better.
It brings me back to the days when bowling alleys still existed.

mistersl56

Smash Cadet
I never played the 64 version so my first Smash was Melee. I think it's the neat innovative graphics (at least for it's time) and also the speed or frame-rate that impressed me. For the graphic good example would be Bowser's life-like fire and Mario's detailed denim outfit; Both of which you don't really see in the newer games anymore.

Ness Gymrae

Smash Apprentice
Melee is a good sequel For what it has to offer. Like 25 characters instead of 12 in the N64, and the stages they put in. Best part being how fast melee is for competitive play and etc... I mainly like melee/Project M's speed (same thing) just because. I am not really used to brawl/3ds/wiiU because of how slow it is. I even still play Melee to this very day.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Melee ADDED dozens of new techniques. They took a glitch from smash 64 (Z cancelling) which was way too op, and made it an actual technique to cut lag in half, not down to zero from aerials. They did everything to make the gameplay better, and had an incredible roster of characters.

Where as the games following did nothing but REMOVE techniques, which is messed up.

Melee, if you think about it, is the ONLY smash sequel in which new techniques were specifically designed for the game (Spot dodge, air dodge, dthrow, up throw, Auto DI, Wall tech, Wall jump... the list goes on)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
People say brawl introduced the techniquesglide tossing and RAR, but both of those exist within melee as well; the brawl engine is simply more exploitable than melee's.

Brawl did introduce DACUS and aerial glide tossing, though. And B-reverse stuff. And footstooling.

Did sm4sh introduce anything?

D

Deleted member

Melee added tons of stuff to the table, such as characters, better movesets, fixed bugs and more AT. Its a completely different game to 64, mechanics wise and the way its played wise.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
People say brawl introduced the techniquesglide tossing and RAR, but both of those exist within melee as well; the brawl engine is simply more exploitable than melee's.

Brawl did introduce DACUS and aerial glide tossing, though. And B-reverse stuff. And footstooling.

Did sm4sh introduce anything?
No. Wrong. That's like saying melee introduced wavedashing, or smash 64 introduced Z cancel.

I'll give you footstooling. That was a cool added tech. Forgot that one.

What I'm saying is melee had plenty of added techniques that the developers purposefully implemented (wall techs, jumps, spot dodge, side B, up throw, down throw, the list is MASSIVE)

Brawl's only implementation were mechanics that were basically a huge middle finger to competitive smash. Specifically tripping "LOL, heard u like dash dancing, take this tournament f4g" DACUS and stuff don't count as they are a consequence of the games engine (like wavedashing) not a developer intended technique.

Even without our magical wave-cheating, even with NO air dodge, melee has enough to offer to still be a competitive titan, that's what I'm saying.

Smash 4 is even worse. When I saw that they deleted edgehogging and made shields OP and rolling is harder to punish, I was like "Alright, GG, I'm never playing this game"

I've actually never played brawl or smashy 4 once, not once in my life. I was the first person on these forums to say I would boycott the game, and I did. Doing the same thing with smash 4. I have no interest in a video game that basically took my favorite game and ripped

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You cannot separate intended features from unintended features, simply because you dont know. From our perspective, all features that are actually in the game at release were intended to be there. Even if it was a bug they couldn't fix, they knew what their game did. Eg, Melee developers knew WDing existed.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
You cannot separate intended features from unintended features, simply because you dont know. From our perspective, all features that are actually in the game at release were intended to be there. Even if it was a bug they couldn't fix, they knew what their game did. Eg, Melee developers knew WDing existed.
Of course. I agree.

My point regardless if you count stuff like DACUS and Wavedashing still is correct though. Melee added techniques, Brawl / smash 4 removed them. That's what makes melee the best sequel.

Top Bottom