• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes Marth better than Roy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Declan

Smash Apprentice
:) I smash with my friend Bill all the time and he mains Samus but will occassionally use Roy. I've suggested that he use Marth because I think almost anyone would do better with Marth over Roy. The problem is that he doesn't believe me and since I only played Marth a long while ago and never used Roy it's hard for me to explain my argument. What do you guys think I should use as proof that Marth is better than Roy? Also, what are all of the differences anyway?:confused:

SilverDraco134

Smash Cadet
Marth is a little faster, and his grab range is longer. Marth's sweetspot is the tip of his sword, while Roy's is the center of his sword. Marth is a bit heavier than Roy as well. Also Roy's counter does 1.5x the damage the opponent did to him, but doesn't last as long as Marth's. Course Marth's counter does less damage. Eh that's all I know. Better Marth players can tell ya more.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
Lotsa stuff -- almost all of marths moves are better than roy's coresponding move (exceptions: usmash, dtilt, forward b, maybe counter). He combos better, he's faster, he gets much easier KOs, his aerial game is far superior.

But the main reason is the sweetspot. The main advantage of a character with a long sword and no projectiles is range. Marth, with his sweetspot at the tip of his sword, uses his range to outprioritize his opponents and set up a wall that's very tough to penetrate. It's his major advantage.

But roy wastes his entire range by having his sweetspot towards the handle of the sword. The medium and far end of his range are pretty useless -- to do any damage, roy has to get very near to his opponents and thus squanders what should be his major advantage. And his moves are too laggy for him to be an effective close range fighter. He has all of the disadvantages of marth (semi-laggy moves, no projectile, reliant on smash for KOs, poor recovery), but none of the advantages (RANGE, combos into smash easily, speed, aerial game, grab range). So there's nothing that he does especially well.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Roy's Double-edge dance is better than Marth's and Roy deals tonnes of damage at low percentages (Dtilt to Fsmash). Even so, he is severly lacking a finishing move, especially at high percentages, unless on fastfallers (Uthrow to Fsmash). Marth is more combosive and his power compliments his range, has a better recovery, better edge guard and can link combos more easily compared to roy.

Archaic

Smash Apprentice
You guys forgot that Marth's sword is just plain longer than Roy's, Other than that I think they covered everytihng besides the fact that Marth's fully charged B move breaks a shield, and Roy's will instantly KO an opponent and do 10% damage to himself (though i guess thats common knowledge) Oh and Marth's up B goes higher but Roy's goes farther horizontal.

AS Money

Smash Lord
You guys forgot that Marth's sword is just plain the same lenth as Roy's, Other than that I think they covered everytihng besides the fact that Marth's fully charged B move breaks a shield, and Roy's will instantly KO an opponent and do 10% damage to himself (though i guess thats common knowledge) Oh and Marth's up B goes higher but Roy's goes farther horizontal.
edited your first sentence a bit now it is 100% true

Holyknight_127

Smash Rookie
EVERYTHING.......
runs faster, stay in air longer, can combo much easier, juggle, longer grabbing range, better recovery, costume even looks better than roys armor...lol but also has a sweetspot, more knockback, and roy even has more lag time than marth. Just look at his forward smash... JUST EVERYTHING IS BETTER!!!! let ur friend read this please lol.

But... just to be fair... roy well obviously.... more power at close range and better counter but u dont want to be at close range when u atk or ull get hit lol. Anyway, Marth is 1000000000000000% better

and cowboy.... marth does NOT have bad recovery its extremely good if known how to use but roy sucks at is.

Guy hits u and u DI till ur a little above the same lvl with the platform. U use about one dancing blade, jump, and the next ones along with dolphin slash. When roy does this, he falls too quickly when he does the dancing blade.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
edited your first sentence a bit now it is 100% true
Actually he was right. To test go on battlefield and put marth and roy on the platform then roll to opposite edges and fsmash one after another marth will hit while roy does not.

C4-854

Smash Rookie
I verse a really good Marth pretty often. And I've learned some things why he's better than Roy:
1. Tip is sweet spot, which is more often to happen than the middle and allows Marth to stay farther away from being hit while dealing more damage
2. Faster
3. Counter lasts longer, which is better because you hit more. I'd rather hit than miss 1.5 damage on the opponent
4. Just tap A repeatedly...Marth goes on and Roy doesn't
5. Basically all the non-B moves are better with Roy, but the swordsmans' B-moves should be rarely used compared to everything else (or at least my friend doesn't use em much)

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
and cowboy.... marth does NOT have bad recovery its extremely good if known how to use but roy sucks at is.
jigglypuff has an "extremely good" recovery. Link just has a "good" recovery.

whether you know how to use it or not, marth's recovery is bad. The fact that roy's recovery is downright terrible doesn't make marth's any better. It's predictable, punishable, and mediocre at best in terms of vertical and horizontal distance. Definitely in the bottom 50% of character recoveries.

Also, marth's counter would be better if it didn't last so long. All the extra length really does is give your opponent more time to set up and punish you if you miss and make it more problematic to use as a mindgame during your recovery. How often do you counter and then wait a second before your opponent falls into your trap? Not often, if your opponent isn't brand new to this game.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Actually he was right. To test go on battlefield and put marth and roy on the platform then roll to opposite edges and fsmash one after another marth will hit while roy does not.
Well, the side that Marth or Roy is facing affects the length of his blade. If two Marths fsmash while facing each other, one may hit the other, but the other's sword will not reach. I don't remember which side had a longer sword but I'm assuming Roy's sword works that way too.

. . .

. . . . .

. .Wow.

Let's see:

-Longer grab range
-Tipper attacks
-Faster
-Anti-combo floaty character
-Easy Combo's
-Great CG
-***** FF with U-tilt
-Can combo out of almost anything
-Has a spike and meteor.
-Great Pivoting abilities
-deadly reverse dolphin slash
-Great Tech Chaser
-SHDF
-D-tilt Spike
-Tipper Smashes out of grabs
-Multiple U-tilts
-Amazing Fair Combo's
-Can CG floaty characters(some of them)

What does Marth have over Roy?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well, the side that Marth or Roy is facing affects the length of his blade. If two Marths fsmash while facing each other, one may hit the other, but the other's sword will not reach. I don't remember which side had a longer sword but I'm assuming Roy's sword works that way too.
It doesn't matter which side he's facing, his range doesn't change. The reason one of the Marths gets hit is because the foward smash actually makes you lean foward (and by a large amount at that.) His f-tilt makes him lean as well, but not nearly as much. Try the same test but this alter which Marth attacks first. You'll see that the other Marth will always hit. In fact I was hit by Link's foward smash because I barely missed mine. (he didn't move foward before smashing, he really outranged me)

Marth's sword is the same length as Roy's sword but when you tip an attack with Roy you often get a phantom hit.

AS Money

Smash Lord
its just roys phantom zone if it still gives damage it still hits

marth dosnt have as big of a problem with his phantom zone being closer to his body(though i have had my fair share of combos wrecked by phantom tippers)

Ma Moi

Smash Cadet
yeah, almost all of the things have been posted so i'm not going to repeat what people say. Just tell your friend to try out marth for a bit. i think he'll find him much easier to use. I used to main in Roy, then switched over to Marth. Marth is way better hands down. There's a reason why Ken uses Marth and not Roy....

marthbeatsroy

Smash Cadet
Note: ignore my username. I just put it to annoy my little brother

It does depend. Marth's faster than roy; his speed can only be rivaled by fox or c. falcon.He has a sweet sweet spot (no pun intended). Plus, the counter is extremely awesome. Plus, he got a sweet ability to juggle opponents in the air.

What roy lacks in speed makes up for his strenght. His up b is a perfect way to piss off your opponent (my brother does it all the time). Roy's counter not only gives you 1.5x damage, but it also slams the opponent like a ping pong ball; at first, roy's opponent flies up, then he/she is sent down (the depth depending on the attack and the precentage of the opponent). It is extremely difficult to attack my brother in midair because he stabs his stupid sword in the sky, another way to annoy opponents. What annoys me the most is the CC that he does. He simply crouches and presses a, sending the opponent flying in the air, vulnerable to an up B attack.

This is just my opinion, and I'm only making these observations based on the continuous battle against my brother (no matter how many times I tell him, he insist on playing only with roy).

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Note: ignore my username. I just put it to annoy my little brother

It does depend. Marth's faster than roy; his speed can only be rivaled by fox or c. falcon.He has a sweet sweet spot (no pun intended). Plus, the counter is extremely awesome. Plus, he got a sweet ability to juggle opponents in the air.

What roy lacks in speed makes up for his strenght. His up b is a perfect way to piss off your opponent (my brother does it all the time). Roy's counter not only gives you 1.5x damage, but it also slams the opponent like a ping pong ball; at first, roy's opponent flies up, then he/she is sent down (the depth depending on the attack and the precentage of the opponent). It is extremely difficult to attack my brother in midair because he stabs his stupid sword in the sky, another way to annoy opponents. What annoys me the most is the CC that he does. He simply crouches and presses a, sending the opponent flying in the air, vulnerable to an up B attack.

This is just my opinion, and I'm only making these observations based on the continuous battle against my brother (no matter how many times I tell him, he insist on playing only with roy).
Sry sir but Marth is also stronger and has more knockback then Roy. The only thing Roy has stronger is B moves (which aren't that good) and throws (Marth can CG MUCH better) so really the only area's where Roy is stronger is where it doesn't even matter.

Another thing I noticed wrong is that while Marth may have a faster running speed then Roy, Roy is played much faster then Marth is. In actual gameplay Roy is actually faster then Marth

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
roy is *different* from marth.

trying to say that marth is flat out better than roy, is an ignorant view.

roys tilts, and aerial combo game, is very much more fast paced, and much more pop up and down orientated, as opposed to marth who likes his long chains of fairs.

roys recovery is also much friendlier horizontally, and yes, his flare blade is better for edgeguarding <as you can hold it longer, not because of the knockback>

roys "middler" has just as much power and knockback as marths tippers.

overall, roy has a much quicker paced game than marth, which focuses on running in and out and getting into range for the middle of his sword.

what makes him not as good as marth? no 0-death combos, edgeguarding is a bit weaker, ground moves have more lag.

edit: - btw guys. marth is a SLOW character. get over it.

CT_Emerl

Smash Cadet
I jUST like ROY more. It's because he doesn't get picked as often, also if you can use him regardless of him being inferior to Marth, he can be used SIMIlAR TO A MARTH , but I hate to admit it, Marty is better in all aspect, but roy is still the main:roymelee:

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
the way Roy's hitboxes are set up makes him bad. Roy is slower than Marth and he relies on the hilt of the sword to have good knockback. If Roy was as fast as Marth and the hitboxes were the same he would be better but some of his moves are just bad. Like most of his aerials feel like they give people a free hit on you XD. Roy however does have good moves like D-tilt, side B, up air isn't bad because of his fall speed, his forward smash can be good if you can get in and he has a forward air follow up from d-tilt. Marth's hitboxes, movement speed grab range and knockback of moves are just superior in every way. The only thing I think roy might be better with then marth is his fast falling but even then that would probably make Marth's recovery worse.

RazeriaN

Smash Cadet
Pretty much the tipper and the speed. Roy is decent, but why play Roy when you have a clone thats so much better?

xpRo

Smash Cadet
I play both Marth and Roy pretty regularly. They have a lot of the same strengths--strong movement game with good wavedashes and dash dance, disjointed hitboxes, long grab range. In all of these areas, Marth is slightly stronger, with a slightly faster wavedash, longer dash dance range, longer sword, and slightly longer grab range.

Roy has a great combo starter in the form of his d-tilt, and his faster falling speed makes his shuffle game much quicker. However, as many have pointed out, the fact that Roy sweetspots with the base of the blade negates a lot of the advantage of disjointed hitboxes on his sword.

Roy shares all of Marth's weaknesses as well, but Roy has several additional problems that are actually quite subtle:
1. His attacks are slower. If you compare the frame data, almost every one of Roy's attacks is 10-15% slower than Marth's corresponding move.
2. Roy's sourspots are really bad compared to Marth. For example, Roy's sweetspot u-tilt does only 1% more than Marth's sourspot, while Marth's sweetspot is stronger than Roy's sour by 5-6%.
3. Roy's aerials are horrible. In addition to being slower, Roy's sweetspot aerials do almost exactly the same damage as Marth's sourspots, while Roy's sourspots are significantly less. This also makes his followups from u-throw generally pretty weak.

All these weaknesses combine to severely limit Roy's options. He still has some good moves, especially his d-tilt, but since he doesn't have as much flexibility, it's much easier to identify his approaches and movement and lock him down.

A 7 year old necro thread and is still finding life.

Anyway, the end all be end all advice.

Roy's moves lack the duration of hitstun and and launch that Marth boasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom