• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes a great gaming community?

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Let's get into this subject, I dropped by and looked at a flight sim forum I used to be pretty active in, and, there is a big difference...they are a finer community.
What makes communitys stand out as good and friendly, inviting?
So far, I am in a few other smash forums, and smashboards may be the most active, but it is not the best.
What makes a community great, and if you think smashboards is a great community, what makes this place great?

Overload

Smash Lord
A great community contains an abundance of information, friendly members, and people who are willing to help you improve and give you advice. Smashboards has so many members that there are bound to be people who make the boards seem worse.

Amide

Smash Lord
Well, I'm pretty sure lots of bad members came a little after Brawl came out... (I did) But a good commmunity is one with many people, but not too much, helpful honest people, and people that are funny and cool.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Well, the forums I was on, the mods were the people who created the game, and, wow, they were nice people, they had a great attitude, and we everyones friend pretty much(probably cause we were lining their pockets :) ).

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
i'll tell you what doesn't make a great gaming community. 99% BR population. no offense to BR's in general, just those that play RO excessively.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
the best community is a non-online community, that has been around for some years to weed out the bad members of the community. ahem*melee*ahem. I really think that it not being online helps, brawl is the same way. most tournaments are real in person, so there's more interactions, intensity, jokes, and good times.

Overload

Smash Lord
the best community is a non-online community, that has been around for some years to weed out the bad members of the community. ahem*melee*ahem. I really think that it not being online helps, brawl is the same way. most tournaments are real in person, so there's more interactions, intensity, jokes, and good times.
I think I have to agree.
How many people actually joined when brawl came out? I originally joined in 07 but forgot the account info because I never went on much. Then I made another account in jan, but didn't like the name so I kept making them and this is what I ended up with.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd disagree with that. No offence to anyone, but about half of the regional zones are the worst places to go.

Black Waltz: What's BR and RO?

samdaballer

Smash Ace
I'd disagree with that. No offence to anyone, but about half of the regional zones are the worst places to go.

oh yeah, i agree on smashboards, what i meant in real life, like tournaments for example a melee tourney versus a halo 2 one. If you go to tournies, the smash community is more tight knight than wow persay, because wow is almost exclusively online.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
oh yeah, i agree on smashboards, what i meant in real life, like tournaments for example a melee tourney versus a halo 2 one. If you go to tournies, the smash community is more tight knight than wow persay, because wow is almost exclusively online.
yea, I see where you're going, Halo is great and should almost be played exclusively online, but Brawl on the other hand isn't like that since well.. it's online sucks, so playing in at tourneys with other people rather than online would be better because you get to interact with other fewllow smashers who love the same as you.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
yea, I see where you're going, Halo is great and should almost be played exclusively online, but Brawl on the other hand isn't like that since well.. it's online sucks, so playing in at tourneys with other people rather than online would be better because you get to interact with other fewllow smashers who love the same as you.
exactly, and also the experience of physically competing against one another is better, and more fun, the whole experience is more enjoyable. Online the most interaction you have is through a headset.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
exactly, and also the experience of physically competing against one another is better, and more fun, the whole experience is more enjoyable. Online the most interaction you have is through a headset.
So, why can't Halo be played offline then?
System links and such can create huge arenas(larger than online I think).

Black Waltz

Smash Champion

BR is an abbreviation for Brazillians, commonly encountered on Ragnarok Online (RO). They always whine and ask people to donate money and rare items to them.

Amide

Smash Lord
Are you sure, a great, great community I was in was highly competitive, we all got along somehow, it was also a MMOFS.
Dunno, maybe flight sim people are just really nice.

Well, you could generalize that flight sim people are intellectuals. I mean, they seem smart. Smart people that aren't brats are usually nice.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
A friendly group of people from all sorts of background playing a game not for the competitive aspect but for the fun of it.
The best community is a community where both sides (Competitive and Casual) are present, neither fight, and both realize that they both play for fun, they just do it differently.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
So, why can't Halo be played offline then?
System links and such can create huge arenas(larger than online I think).
some tournaments are LAN, but a majority aren't, I think this is because for example in Halo 2, the largest emphasis is on the online, but in smash, when the competitive scene really grew in melee, it carried over into brawl, and real online tournaments in brawl are not feasible

DeadlyTurnip

Smash Journeyman
It must be the right sice, not too huge, these forums already broke it.
It should be large enough to be healthy and small enough for you to know most of the people. The mods should be seen as figures of respect and not like "one of us" and... bah

I am too tiered to think about all these smart questions and answers. [/s]

D

Deleted member

Having multiple rooms themed around Smash Bros., and having a room each for F-Zero and Pokemon.:)

Top Bottom