• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What makes a good Smash Bros. Stage?

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
So I'm sitting here in the Stage Builder trying to work on a good semi-competitive stage which would be suited to either all types of gameplay (1 on 1, 2 on 2, Free For All, etc), and naturally I got to thinking; What makes a good Smash Bros. stage? Of course this is a very subjective discussion, so don't cut anyone else's throat of their opinions, but what, in your mind, makes a good Smash Brothers stage? For me it needs to be fairly big, have a few platforms to allow mixups and stage hazards must be predictable and easily avoidable so as not to blindside observant players. Furthermore, it is imperative that said hazards do not break the flow of gameplay. In my eyes, 75m is a bad stage as it ignores a lot of what I feel makes a good stage. The jacks and hotheads on the stage make combos nigh impossible and the stage itself is a mess of small platforms. A good stage in my eyes would be Magicant (if it didn't have the Flying Man); The Octopus Statues and Tomatoes do not break the flow of the match, it has a good platform layout, and the Dungeon Man is a great Randall stand-in.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I don't think a stage necessarily has to be big. Hazards and walkoffs are a huge BANNED! in my book. Platforms should be symmetrical, or made so that they don't favor one side more than the other (Smashville). Also it needs ledges.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
there are a lot of things that make a stage, and I don't think you could call a stage objectively bad, because each stage was meant for a couple of things. Stages like Orbital Gate Assault, Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple, although all considered pretty terrible stages, were meant for 8 players. It really all depends on a lot of factors. Are there items? How many people are playing? Are you looking to goof off or 1v1 Fox only Final Destination? There are a lot of things to take in account. Like my favorite stage is Corneria because it is a mix of fun, skill and is suitable for however many players. Every stage is meant for some purpose and really would need to be judged in that context. Except Icicle Mountain. Screw Icicle Mountain

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
I suppose it depends on who you are asking.

A good stage to me I think has good platforms, fits the theme of the game it represents, has good detailing, and in general isn't overly hectic. If it is hectic, it's hectic in a fun way. (Wario Ware, for example).

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
If I were designing a stage in Stage Builder (which I still have to use), I'd design it as if I were designing a stage for the game itself. A good stage in my eyes limits the amount of dropoffs and has a good amount of platforms to enable successful recoveries and of the like.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
When Brawl first came out I didn't like that there wasn't a counter-pick stage for low ceiling (Yoshi's Story) so I made one with a lower ceiling than normal (not too much) so me and my friends could play with early top KO's. I also made a battlefield without a top platform (Pokemon Stadium) and a reverse battlefield with 2 top platforms at the edges and 1 low platform in the middle (that one was less popular). Basically, I played with different platform placements. Everything besides the Yoshi's Story clone had similar stage height.

Casually though, any stage can be fun. A normal-ish stage with a king of the hill area off to the side. Holes everywhere like N64 Saffron City. Just watch that if your stage is too big, matches tend to be drawn out, unless you play time which IMO is the best casual way of playing.

Haven't played with the Sm4sh stage creator yet though. Don't have many friends who want to play the game with them right now really.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Can't stand the wii fit stage music though. :p
The Wii Fit music is like elevator music. Elevator music naturally makes ears bleed.

After hearing Fox's voice in Smash 4, I don't play with the audio turned up unless I wanna hear a adolescent whining.

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
Actually, I really like using the Menu theme from More Brain Training in the Wii Fit Studio.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If the stage is colorful and has great music, it is a good stage for me.

If the stage doesn't have a boss, annoying/too many hazards, isn't too big, scrolling too fast, ugly (Pac-Land is the only one so far) or too similar to another a stage, then it's good imo.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm fond of stages with simple topography and detailed environments.

Music is good - in addition, I'm happy if there are few hazards to interrupt the flow of the game.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I like stages that have platforms, nice visuals, and not too many crazy hazards. In my opinion a lot of great Smash 4 stages such as Magicant are ruined because of an annoying hazard (in this case the Flying Man).

Last edited:
Top Bottom