• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What made you start playing Ganondorf?

crazydude550

Smash Rookie
NNID
Weirdman90
A few years ago, me and my friends played a lot of brawl. One of my friends picked Ganondorf everytime. (Especially the old man ganon skin) I eventually tried him out, but didn't like him at first. But when Sm4sh came out, I gave the "Dorf" more love. I first watched a few games played by Bizzarro Flame and Eikelmann. I sat there thinking, "I need to main him." I practiced until I could style on all my friends then tried to use him at my school tournament. Did decent with no customs, still angry about getting gimped, although I had my fair share of styles and disrespectful moments. I still train with the Ganon Canon to this day. No matter how many D-Airs I get. It never gets old. Ganon is the Manon.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
It's the fact that I can disrespect my opponents......

like who doesn't find that fun?

but well, I needed a nice heavy character for my main, I wasn't looking at tiers either. and ganon fit perfectly with my playstyle, since I love to take advantage of people's habits, and punish them.

StraightBeastin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3497-1748-0958

I just made this video in tribute to the true king of evil. I'll be releasing more videos like these every Friday. Enjoy!:ganondorf::GCD::GCA:

TehMud

Smash Rookie
I've liked him since Melee. In Brawl he was meh. But in SSB4 almost every attack is a kill move and I was like YUSS.

Recovery sucks though which is the worst part. I feel like that's honestly a bad to way to balance his power. Even at a low percent a quick gimp is gg.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's the fact that I can disrespect my opponents......

like who doesn't find that fun?

but well, I needed a nice heavy character for my main, I wasn't looking at tiers either. and ganon fit perfectly with my playstyle, since I love to take advantage of people's habits, and punish them.

solonimbus

Smash Rookie
Back in the brawl days there was some salt about how I would play safe and often come out on top of our free for all games, so as a joke I decided to glance at the tier list and handicap myself with the lowest character, the King of Evil himself. Like others in this thread, I wondered if he could really be that bad, so I watched some gameplay from Vermanubis and DLA while learning him. I really got hooked on the bait and punish style, mindgames, and raw ability to style on opponents. Now that wolf rests in pepperoni, ganon is the only character left who is true to my heart.

My first Legend of Zelda game was Twilight Princess, and I transferred my love of that game into the Smash Bros. series. I often pick the Zelda franchise characters. Link is my favorite character to use out of them overall but... Ganondorf is just so brutally fun to play as against friends. It does not even matter who is on the receiving end his cinderblock arms and legs. Everyone has fun when Ganondorf steps into the arena. King of Evil maybe... King of the Lolz definitely! :laugh:

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
Once I realized he was a bigger stringers slower Falcon, I decided to try him out. It was definitely worth it. His attacks are so satisfying to hit, and he has some of the lowest percent kills in the game. I still main Falcon, but I frequently switch to Ganon for some fun.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
I started on brawl, which was the WRONG introduction to Ganon. I dismissed him as a weaker captain falcon, and I didn't even like falcon to begin with. Then I played Melee for the first time. I saw huge improvements with falcon and grew to enjoy playing him, but Ganon still didn't feel satisfying, and I actually like his brawl specials more, they got much needed improvements. (He did have a good combo game though). Then Sm4sh happened, and Ganon became one of my favorite side characters. He AMAZINGLY got a good combo game, a great tech chase game, and some of the strongest punishes ever. On top of that, his recovery is almost as good as his Melee recovery (that doesn't mean its strong, just that it got much better than brawls), and his offstage game is suprisingly good. He is one of the most underrated characters in the game, and I honestly see him as viable. Sakurai did a good on him (for me at least).

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Flame choke offstage in brawl.

That animation is still gorgeous, even if the new one has more practical application.

Top Bottom