• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Kirby's Creator Failed to do FOUR TIMES, and will fail to do again.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Does anyone know what happens when Kirby swallows an explosive? Does this happen in Brawl? Exactly.
Items and projectiles are a massive part of the Kirby Franchise. He can swallow all sorts of things, as long as they aren't primarily a blade. When you swallow in item in a Kirby game, you keep it in your mouth until you swallow or spit (innuendo unintended), but in Smash, you just swallow automatically. In Kirby games, when someone throws a bomb at you, not only is it possible to suck it up and spit it back (Holy S***, that's wrong) but you are supposed to do so. You can also swallow it and become Bomb Kirby (or Crash, in the case of that Nuke guy). In Brawl, you get internal exploding. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? You should at the very least be able to swallow it safely. More importantly, with almost any item, you should be able to launch it. Even if it's just a glorified throw, you should be able to.
Opinions?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Err...well Wario takes damage when he swallows it too. So does Dedede.

I personally wouldn't care if Kirby still got hurt by it.

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
Lol items suck and I never play with them so I DON'T CARE

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Balanced gameplay & ability to toggle items on/off! How the hell would they pose threat to one another?

Also, items can still make it into the game regardless of settings, but very rarely and depending on who's in the match (King Dedede SideB capsule, Peach's turnips & occasional other items, Link's DownB)

lint789

Smash Cadet
I agree with OP. A buff to inhale would make the character and series justice. It could work like a lesser version of VIllager's pocketing ability. Instead of launching back the same attack, Kirby would launch a star with little range.

Groose

Smash Champion
Sounds good. It would probably be far too complicated to let him become Bomb Kirby, but he should at least get a good throw out of things.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The thread's title implies that Sakurai tried to give him this property, but failed.

Regardless, I'm 100% sold on the idea. While it obviously means nothing for competitive matches, it would give Kirby a big (but unnecessary) buff in matches with items on.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
The thread's title implies that Sakurai tried to give him this property, but failed.

Regardless, I'm 100% sold on the idea. While it obviously means nothing for competitive matches, it would give Kirby a big (but unnecessary) buff in matches with items on.
Links bombs, Peach's turnips, Villager's turnips, D3's Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos. Any projectile of an item or sentient nature would likely also be absorbable, but not lasers, arrows, boomerangs or similar less item like projectiles.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
What Sakurai has actually overlooked has been the fact that Kirby's Dtilt doesn't slide him forward along the ground.

I'd be cool with the proposed Inhale buff, too.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I think when Kirby inhales an item, he should have about a 10-15 frame window where he can Star-Shot the item as if he sucked in an item/enemy in the kirby games and didnt swallow it, causing great knockback.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think the thing for balancing would be to allow him to suck in stationary items but not suck in thrown items... Though, I suppose it wouldn't actually be better than the Reflector specials.

I do think that it'd mean I wouldn't be absorbing enemies' abilities as often, though... and maybe Sakurai wants to avoid giving Kirby reasons to not use his signature copy move?

... I'd appreciate them giving something like this to Dedede though so his inhale wouldn't feel like Kirby's except without its main purpose.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
They should update this for BOTH Yoshi and Kirby. I dunno but I always consider 'em and their item-holding properties still something that is pointlessly missing in SSB-games.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'd actually like quite a few things in Smash:

-Kirby's Inhale move in-air releases a puff of air as a projectile instead of beginning to inhale, similar to how it is in the Kirby games.
-The Hammer should spin like it did in Melee (but it won't, sadly)
-The above-mentioned explosive/item throw (if you can grab it, he can spit or swallow it. Examples: the Metal Blade, Link's bombs, Diddy's peanuts, Peach's turnips, Snake's grenades, Dedede's Waddle Dees (but NOT the Gordos) and, of course, he needs to swallow Pikmin.)

That's about it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
-Kirby's Inhale move in-air releases a puff of air as a projectile instead of beginning to inhale, similar to how it is in the Kirby games.
Do not touch aerial inhale. As I have mentioned elsewhere, a G&W style wind puff would be perfect for if Kirby tries to jump again when he's out. It would push away foes but deflate him, making him a slightly smaller target but also increasing his fall speed. This is how the puff worked in Crystal Shards and, if it were in Smash, it should work that way there too.

Cruel use of the move: you've just hit a foe offstage on Final Destination. You jump off stage yourself spam the jump button till you're at the top of the screen, then immediately hit down B. When you reach just below ground level, you pop out of Stone and hit jump. Kirby spits out air, pushing the recovering foe under the stage too their doom and has a split second or two to use Final Cutter to avoid suicide.

Xigger

Smash Lord
FOUR times? Are you already counting Smash 4 as a failure, or the past three Smash games as four times?
Kirby was only able to eat items in Brawl, so the failure count shouldn't even be past ONE.

Also, I vote streamlining Kirby to match Wario and Dedede.
Also, also, I nominate you hack Brawl to change Kirby's hold animation to Kirby swallowing the item and puffing up as if he ate the item. Problem solved.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
FOUR times? Are you already counting Smash 4 as a failure, or the past three Smash games as four times?
Kirby was only able to eat items in Brawl, so the failure count shouldn't even be past ONE.

Also, I vote streamlining Kirby to match Wario and Dedede.
Also, also, I nominate you hack Brawl to change Kirby's hold animation to Kirby swallowing the item and puffing up as if he ate the item. Problem solved.
I believe you misunderstand my complaint.
(I should first clarify first, I was referring all 4 smash games, the new one included. If I'm wrong about the new one, I will donate to this site twice what I will pay for the WiiU, SSB4, and guidebook.)
My complaint is that he can't spit items out, can't copy relevant items and can't even safely swallow bombs. The animation is ok, considering that Kirby's frog-like look when he inflates varies game-to-game, if I recall correctly.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
It would be nice if Kirby is going to be able copy abilitys, when he sucks a projectile, like in Kirbys Adventure on Kirby TV Channel. ^^

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
It would be nice if Kirby is going to be able copy abilitys, when he sucks a projectile, like in Kirbys Adventure on Kirby TV Channel. ^^
Meaning the anime, I assume. He could do that in nearly every game, probably all.
The only limit is that he doesn't absorb sharp or flat projectiles.
Ex:
Vs Link
Can absorb Link
Can absorb Bombs
Cannot absorb Arrows
Cannot absorb Boomerangs

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Actually, Kirby swallow items automatically in his games.
The "absorve walk and use later" only aplies to foes, something kirby actually does.

I see your point, but i dont see a real reason to him being like that, the swallow should only work as a special kind of desperate shield.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Actually, Kirby swallow items automatically in his games.
The "absorve walk and use later" only aplies to foes, something kirby actually does.

I see your point, but i dont see a real reason to him being like that, the swallow should only work as a special kind of desperate shield.
Actually, there are many non-enemy things that he absorbs only on command.
He only auto-eats food and one ups, blocks, bombs, apples, Copy-Essence (or whatever you call the item form of copy abilities in KSSU), which is the closest thing to the items in SSB, and many other things work with the same mechanics as enemies. Furthermore, there is NO Kirby game where an inhaled item works as a buffer, the only thing that can be done to that effect is spitting out stars to cancel out some projectiles.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Actually, there are many non-enemy things that he absorbs only on command.
He only auto-eats food and one ups, blocks, bombs, apples, Copy-Essence (or whatever you call the item form of copy abilities in KSSU), which is the closest thing to the items in SSB, and many other things work with the same mechanics as enemies. Furthermore, there is NO Kirby game where an inhaled item works as a buffer, the only thing that can be done to that effect is spitting out stars to cancel out some projectiles.

I was thinking in dreamland 1.
Then i just remember poppy bros jr and his bombs... i guess he could use some projectiles as stars, yes.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I was thinking in dreamland 1.
Then i just remember poppy bros jr and his bombs... i guess he could use some projectiles as stars, yes.
Kirby, in anything other than his main games, is almost exclusively based off of SS and SSU. Kirby didn't even have copy-abilities in that game and, other than some bosses and power-ups, that game bears no relevance to any spin-off or cameo, and rightfully so. It isn't a bad game, but it just isn't relevant in any way.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Kirby, in anything other than his main games, is almost exclusively based off of SS and SSU. Kirby didn't even have copy-abilities in that game and, other than some bosses and power-ups, that game bears no relevance to any spin-off or cameo, and rightfully so. It isn't a bad game, but it just isn't relevant in any way.

The Curry is in brawl you know? return to dreamland also has some items.
With that said, i always use kirby without hats in his games.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
The Curry is in brawl you know? return to dreamland also has some items.
With that said, i always use kirby without hats in his games.
So...You only play 5 of the first 6 Kirby games? What's wrong with hats? Super Star Ultra is easily the best Kirby game, and it's the one that introduced hats, so...
Regardless, my point stands, when you take SS/SSU into consideration.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
So...You only play 5 of the first 6 Kirby games? What's wrong with hats? Super Star Ultra is easily the best Kirby game, and it's the one that introduced hats, so...
Regardless, my point stands, when you take SS/SSU into consideration.
I even played block ball and tilt n tumble, i just get tired of kirby, but then i found is actually challenging without hats.
First kirby game with hats was Kirbys Adventure on NES, Super Star only did better.

In the other hand, i love kirby suplex and kirby ball abilities, because those requiers real skill and strategy to be used.

ok, but you should take a deeper look on dreamland 1, you are practically talking about kirby and item interactions ignoring the only kirby game who actually use items. Hal havent forgot this game and amaze me every time i see something new ralted to it, is just beutifull.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I even played block ball and tilt n tumble, i just get tired of kirby, but then i found is actually challenging without hats.
First kirby game with hats was Kirbys Adventure on NES, Super Star only did better.

In the other hand, i love kirby suplex and kirby ball abilities, because those requiers real skill and strategy to be used.

ok, but you should take a deeper look on dreamland 1, you are practically talking about kirby and item interactions ignoring the only kirby game who actually use items. Hal havent forgot this game and amaze me every time i see something new ralted to it, is just beutifull.
Wrong. Kirby's Adventure did not use hats. Dreamland 1-3 didn't. Crystal Shards didn't. Superstar, Nightmare in Dreamland, Squeak Squad, Superstar Ultra and Return to Dreamland did.
Ball does not require skill, trust me on that, and suplex is 1000X better in SS/SSU.
Virtually every Kirby game has the lollipop, which is a classic item.
On the other hand, Dreamland one didn't have items, it had POWERUPS. Return to Dreamland and SS/SSU are the only games I can think of that use items (along with every game that has bomb Kirby, if you think he counts).

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Wrong. Kirby's Adventure did not use hats. Dreamland 1-3 didn't. Crystal Shards didn't. Superstar, Nightmare in Dreamland, Squeak Squad, Superstar Ultra and Return to Dreamland did.
Ball does not require skill, trust me on that, and suplex is 1000X better in SS/SSU.
Virtually every Kirby game has the lollipop, which is a classic item.
On the other hand, Dreamland one didn't have items, it had POWERUPS. Return to Dreamland and SS/SSU are the only games I can think of that use items (along with every game that has bomb Kirby, if you think he counts).

I always use hats as a synonym of abbilities/transformations, sorry about that xD
Ball do need abbility, more than the mayority at least, i just love to use it in the worst places possible like the digger robot boss in adventure.

I know is not the same an item and a powerup but didnt want to enter in the technicism, but hey, the bomb from dreamland 1 can be considered an item by its own.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I always use hats as a synonym of abbilities/transformations, sorry about that xD
Ball do need abbility, more than the mayority at least, i just love to use it in the worst places possible like the digger robot boss in adventure.

I know is not the same an item and a powerup but didnt want to enter in the technicism, but hey, the bomb from dreamland 1 can be considered an item by its own.
I'm sorry, but please use spell check.
Is English your first language?

Also, ball is seriously the least difficult one to use.
Regardless, do you agree with my OP now?

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but please use spell check.
Is English your first language?

Also, ball is seriously the least difficult one to use.
Regardless, do you agree with my OP now?

No is not, never say is difficult to use (puzzle are challenging but not necessarily hard) and yes, i agree with your OP now.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I like this idea, but keep in mind he's gonna not make him OP, sure maybe he'll give him the sliding u-tilt this time, but the thing I see him possibly doing is the inhale of certain projectiles and spiting it out as a star for ok to minimal damage, as for getting abilities from a projectile.... probably not gonna happen.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Kirby needs his slide attack as his down tilt. its in all his games.
why does mega man get this move but not kirby?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Kirby needs his slide attack as his down tilt. its in all his games.
why does mega man get this move but not kirby?
'Cuz Sakurai only has 5 moves (and the throws) that he based off of Kirby's games, while every single move in MM's set is taken directly from one of his powers.
No loyalty issues there.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Kirby is canonically OP. Naturally, there had to be some compromise to get him playable, just like with other OP characters like Mewtwo. It's also why he doesn't gain a characters full moveset when he absorbs them.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Kirby is canonically OP. Naturally, there had to be some compromise to get him playable, just like with other OP characters like Mewtwo. It's also why he doesn't gain a characters full moveset when he absorbs them.
Canonicly, Kirby gets ripped apart in every game where he doesn't just sit around doing nothing until evil has taken complete control of Pop Star/The Universe first.
[It should also be mentioned that Kirby gets the Master Sword at the end of this game, the single most OP ability ever (it's from MK, big surprise!)]
[I absolutely HATE how his hands look in this game for some reason]

I would post the Penultimate cutscene of every remaining Kirby game to show the "Receives a super-weapon" part, but I imagine you get the idea.

The only time he was OP was in SSU, as pretty much every other time he was bestowed a super-weapon first.
Though SS is generally considered the game upon which most all of his SSB elements are based.

Going with canon, Kirby wouldn't gain a character's moveset, he would get a power associated with what they are.
Some examples:
CF = Fighter Kirby
Marth = Sword Kirby
Bowser = Fire Kirby
IC = Ice Kirby

The only characters who he would effectively copy according to the nature of his power are Yoshi and...
Actually, pretty much just Yoshi. It would be interesting to see how he would react to a Triforce though...
I'm not advocating for this, I'm just saying that you're wrong.

Speaking of you being wrong [/facetious], the power this thread advocates for would not be OP. Only some characters can create projectiles that could be absorbed (Peach, Yoshi, Link, TL, D3 and a few others), and the resulting star would not be excessively powerful.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Mario = Hi-Jump Kirby
Peach = Parasol Kirby
Samus = Plasma Kirby
ZSS = Whip Kirby
Jigglypuff = Mike Kirby
Wolf = Animal Kirby
Pit = Cupid Kirby
Dedede = Hammer Kirby