• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What kind of samus are you?

mffns

Smash Cadet
I've been watching some hugs matches lately, and I noticed that he plays really passively in some matches. But when i watch wes matches, he seems more "aggresive" than hugs.
Well, what im asking is, what kind of samus are you? Passive, defensive or agressive.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I am more defensive because IMO Samus is more defensive compared to the other charactors......

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I'm too agressive or offensive and I pay for it. Almost all the people I play are pretty defensive and I think waiting and spamming for the whole match is boring so I'm usually the one to throw the first punch.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I try to be more passive in the matches I play, but since my most common opponent is a cape/pill-spamming Doc, I don't have much choice but to approach with ftilts, so I've developed a much more offensive strategy as a result.

On the topic, HugS actually describes his style as "reactive," so his playing tends to wait for his opponent to screw up, because Samus has a whole arsenal of moves that take advantage of her opponent's missteps. Honestly, I think this is the best style for Samus, because she was so obviously designed for this purpose. I just wish I could use more of these tactics.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
Defensive can be described as feeding off the opponents mistakes.

That's how I play, but sometimes you have to throw the offensive in.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
i play pretty defensive until they make a mistake like fsmash into your crouch cancel, then i make them eat it hard like 30-50% with rapid combos/missles

Mars-

Smash Champion
I'm a up in your face style, which I guess is like Wes. That might be because I like Wes' style better and because I only watch Wes, but hey, I would rather make you feel stupid then make you feel like you had a good match.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Defensive at low percentages offensive at higher percentages.

It works most of the time but depending on how bad my opponent is I go offensive all the way. I tend to be more cautious with characters that reflect.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
alternating between "offensive and defensive" is a good statement for neutral, in some of hugs matches he usually attacks and changes his style, and quickly goes back to playing defensive,

i think thats something that can help in a lot of matches, since the opponent may think you'll only wait and then from one time to another you change your play style and caught him of-guard.

usually i play more defensive, and when im losing that match im not afraid of changing the playstyle and believe me IT WORKS! it gives me some pretty important victories doing that.

changing from defense to offense is pretty useful,

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That's why I do it sometimes. Once offense starts owning [I normally try at least 3 combos and if I get knocked out of 1 I go defensive again] I stay in offensive until I decide/get forced to go defensive.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
My goal is to be the fastest Samus, not necessarily the best, so that's exactly how I play. I doubt there's anyone that plays consistently more aggressive or at as fast of pace as I do.

I basically try to find an opening as quickly as possible, and do anything I can to keep a combo going or to just put out too much for the opponent to deal with. People who play me often say that it's not at all a matter of me being unpredictable, I do the same things over and over with little variation, but just finding a way around everything I do that is the problem.

I might not be very good, but at least it's a lot of fun to play the way I do.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
AfterMath do you have any Videos of yourselve so i can learn from you???

REDRAGON

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
I think I play a bit too aggressively and offensively, but I've been seeing one or two defensive samus players around my area, and I also noticed these players get the job done. Lately I've been incorporating more defensive tactics into my game, and I've seen a lot of improvement.

I might not be very good, but at least it's a lot of fun to play the way I do.
This is exactly how I approach my game. But regardless of style, players get better and better as they practice and improve upon mistakes.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Aftermath did make a very nasty guide so i guess he must be right... that means we should all be just like him :chuckle:

Idk when i pay as Samus... all i do is spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

Watty

Smash Lord
Pfft Mw Motha ****a

I coulda sworn i made a post in here.

Anyways I try and take from the vids of seen of Hugs, Wes, Oro, and recently some Aniki tricks and use bits and pieces of them. Cause they all have there own styles and copying them is dumb. Samus IS a mind game and you dont know what there thinking when there doing the advanced stuff. So I juss take bits and pieces and use it the best way i see fit

Kick

Smash Apprentice
agreed taht aftermath is one of, if not the fastest samus out there.

i play defensively, but that doesnt mean i cant go fast. I seem to play my best when my opponent is chasing me around the stage and everything is high paced and frantic. waveland ftw!

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
I approach, but I wouldn't say I'm aggressive. I'll go in for the hit if I think I can take it, but if I'm unsure I'll just approach and then sit outside range, camp in my shield when they make a move or get out of the way and punish them. In a game with lots of platforms I really abuse the shield camping > upb when they approach.

And I love being under them...cept peach, cuz i have a tendency to jump into a dsmash. I hate it when I need to make a move towards someone when they are under and in front of me.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
My style has changed pretty recently..I used to play samus super agressivly using my ability to SWD almost 100% to just move everywhere like that and pressure people into trying to guess where I was going next...Then I found out that sucked against people who knew what they were doing lol. I almost never SWD anymore except to get to the other side of the stage when they or recovering or coming back from death. I am known to have VERY good edgeguarding and recovery...I have taken stocks of players such as Rob$ with my grapple tricks when I am recovering because they are so unpredictible.

As of now I play pretty defensivly but I like to be really close to my opponent at all times. I try to stay close and outspace them with jabs and ftilts and try to get dtilts in so I can uair them. I can Double Missle perfectly but I am not that great with missles in general so I stay close. Most people are not used to samus staying close to them and they don't know how to handel me pressuring them with various attacks. My goal is usually to get them to jump out of their shield or just stay in it till I can dtilt or angle a ftilt low and then WD fsmash so I can edgeguard. I love to dash dance and wavedash dance and do it almost non-stop the whole matchs when I am not hitting my opponent.

My samus is probably only above average..on of the best in texas but not that great compared to other peoples and I am constantly trying to imporve my game by watching other samus players match's. I love to see other peoples styles :).

X-PAC

Smash Cadet
Personally, if my opponent doesn't have projectiles good enough to counter missiles, I'm content to spam away for a bit. Seems to force them into reckless attacks often, which lets me get on the offensive.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Depends on the situation of what character I'm facing. If the character is fast, then defense is the key. If a slow one, then a aggresive type is my fitting.

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
Gata say pure offense. I tend to tech chase alot, and only rely on long range for when my opponent is to far away to chase.

Samus_Hats

Smash Apprentice
When I first got good at playing Samus, one of my opponents said that he was impressed with my play style. Almost no long range, very in-your-face. The kid didnt get out much, and hadnt seen some masterful Samus' play, but my point is that I used to be purely offensive. I was also purely defensive for a time. But now, I just adapt. Ill switch my playing style to suit an opponent, usually. If im against a Marth, ill usually go full offence. Against a Fox, I usually try to moderate between offence and defence, catching him with MCs whenever I can. Retreating SHMCs and the usual bombs are two of my good defense tools.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
I tend to play a really aggressive samus until I hit higher percents, then I do alot of shmc and carpet bombing. I also like to play my samus near the edge, I don't know why...it might be because I love doing bomb-->sex kick.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
I'm no Pro with Samus but anyway! I usually go all out in opponents like Ganondorf cause I can really shake him up Samus's Smash attacks. Now in opponents like Fox that whatever you do they will be in your face trying to grab you I try my best to keep them at a distance with bombs and projectiles and when they get angry I go for the kill.

a-mar

Smash Cadet
with myself and the talent in my area a huge way i play with good peaches and marths i try and stay away and find the opening most other characters i go nice and close as long as i can with a mind game of SWD to long range and back to close quarters. i guess i go for unpredictability but would always father be in the frey!!

so i say AGGRESSIVE!!

P.S. i'm a huge fan of wes and aniki!!

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm air offensive and ground defensive. My meaning is that I usually begin attacking by approaching from the air, but I will stay on the ground if I feel threatend. I think... I haven't really "watched" myself play.

Top Bottom