• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What keeps bringing you back to Nintendo?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I think a lot of it for me now is nostalgia. I hate to say it, but it's true. I'm hardly open to trying new franchises, I am so stuck on the same old ones. This applies to the few non-Nintendo games I play, too. Gaming for me anymore is a lot of nostalgia. Lol. I could go into the psychological reasons for this, but this is not the place. xD

I can give a bit of another answer, though... Why I would still pick Nintendo over their competitors if I had to (regardless of nostalgia): They are centered around franchises that aren't all about violence/zombie apocalypses/war/etc.,etc.

That's a HUGE one for me. Playing those games that other consoles/PC is known for just makes me feel ill. Other platforms do have some titles that aren't like that, but the quality ones seem very far and few in between. Nintendo is known for them, so I know I'm safe buying their systems.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
I suppose there's a bit of loyalty and brand recognition for me, as well as Smash Bros of course. But the biggest thing is that Nintendo seems to be the company that's most interested in consistently releasing actual games; as opposed to CGI Hollywood movies where you occasionally press buttons. As weak as I think the Wii U line up is, it still has more worthwhile exclusives than the other two consoles of this generation. Lack of 3rd party support is a bit of a pain though; I'd be feeling it if I didn't have a decent gaming PC.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'll say what I normally tell my friends/others who ask me this: "I grew up with Nintendo, and I'll probably die with Nintendo"

I spent most of my early Childhood playing games, more specifically Nintendo games. Whether it was on the original Nintendo System, Nintendo 64, GameBoy Advance, Gamecube, whatever I always enjoyed their games for the respective systems that they released.

I've enjoyed and still enjoy the Kirby and Zelda series specifically. I can't abandon the years I've spent with them because they are a part of my Childhood. Of course, I can't forget about Smash either since I've played it since day one and it's been a great part of my Childhood as well. I can't leave these things behind, or rather refuse to do so because it would feel like giving up a big part of myself.

Although I can't exactly agree with most of their newest games (specifically the Mario Series as I feel like they've been degrading in quality/new ideas over the years) I will still support them to the end. Aside from that there's hardly any other games that actually catch my attention these days. I have no interest in Call of Duty, Halo, Fallout, whatever other popular games the XBox or PS4 have because they're just not games that suit my interests or tastes. Nintendo may have a lot of rough patches, but they still keep my interest.

In short, I'm not going to throw away my Childhood and just don't have an interest in what the XBox/PS4 has to offer.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I'll say what I normally tell my friends/others who ask me this: "I grew up with Nintendo, and I'll probably die with Nintendo"

I spent most of my early Childhood playing games, more specifically Nintendo games. Whether it was on the original Nintendo System, Nintendo 64, GameBoy Advance, Gamecube, whatever I always enjoyed their games for the respective systems that they released.

I've enjoyed and still enjoy the Kirby and Zelda series specifically. I can't abandon the years I've spent with them because they are a part of my Childhood. Of course, I can't forget about Smash either since I've played it since day one and it's been a great part of my Childhood as well. I can't leave these things behind, or rather refuse to do so because it would feel like giving up a big part of myself.

Although I can't exactly agree with most of their newest games (specifically the Mario Series as I feel like they've been degrading in quality/new ideas over the years) I will still support them to the end. Aside from that there's hardly any other games that actually catch my attention these days. I have no interest in Call of Duty, Halo, Fallout, whatever other popular games the XBox or PS4 have because they're just not games that suit my interests or tastes. Nintendo may have a lot of rough patches, but they still keep my interest.

In short, I'm not going to throw away my Childhood and just don't have an interest in what the XBox/PS4 has to offer.
That's exactly my case.

But if Nintendo were anything like Disney, I don't think I would be on this forum. Nintendo allows us to go back through our inner childhood when a game is inserted, the game just possesses that type of magic. I'm sure that stigma that Nintendo is only for children exists, but in small amounts. If that were the case, you wouldn't see people in their 30's playing Smash, or Super Mario. Nintendo owns a part of the video game sector I don't think Sony or Microsoft could start to even touch.

I will agree the games have lacked some in quality management, especially with the last two MP installments. Its a work in progress. I'm sure beyond SF Zero, there is a better and more extravagant SF installment waiting to hatch. I do think some new blood could benefit the company.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
To be brutally honest, Mario. He's what bought me Nintendo, and he's what's going to keep me with them. As long as they have Mario, they have my support.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Good games.

As long as they deliver good games, I will support them, just like I've been doing for the past 22 years. I don't care for these silly console wars and I love my Wii U, it was a step forward in the right direction with amazing graphics, classic games and new stuff, it provides what I want, so I'm happy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Smash.

Probably wouldn't buy Nintendo systems anymore if Smash stopped.

I pick up a few other games since I already own the system, but Smash is the only reason I still pick up the system in the first place.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Big hits like Smash Bros, Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario always make me come back no matter how hard I try to resist. In 2013 I honestly didn't care much about Nintendo. Though by 2014, Smash, ORAS + XY, and Link Between Worlds brought me back to the big N.

Top Bottom